Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Quality of the writing aside, people don't seem to be able to separate JC's portrayal in IW from their own biases. Of course if you played the first game you wanna like JC, but it was Absolutely Intentional that he says things that make you uneasy. You're supposed to have a crisis of faith about it. A lot of people won't put much thought in it and go with him anyway, just because "Hey that was the guy from the first game," and that's fine, but remember that he's not just JC anymore - he's merged with Helios, and from what we know of Helios' origins it was pretty naive (myself included originally) to assume the merger would constitute a happy ending. He might have been better off were he to merge with just Daedalus, but with Icarus in the picture things get a little less utopian.

I thought it was impressively ballsy that they actually went and made JC's idealism turn into something most people in real life would find rather uncomfortable, and that they didn't make any of the endings really "Good" for humanity as it exists now.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Why isn't steam's Deus Ex goty steamplay? I thought there was a native mac version along with all the old UT99 engine games back in the day.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GoldenNugget posted:

Why isn't steam's Deus Ex goty steamplay? I thought there was a native mac version along with all the old UT99 engine games back in the day.

There was, for the PowerPC versions of the Mac. You can't run it nowdays.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hard Clumping posted:

I wonder if your problems with the plot come from the presentation, which was just awful, like the 20 minute conversation with Paul Denton in a box, where all he basically says is "Don't take me out of the box."

(gonna spoiler some of this because I think they're things that are fun to discover) I personally think the storyline had some sparks of good stuff in it. I love that the Order/WTO ended up being the same entity, with the illuminati still being able to take hold after the Collapse,[spoiler] which had a really cool parallel with the [spoiler]Pequods/Queequegs coffee shops plot line. Also the way the NG Resonance hologram plays out. There really were a few neat things to find out there if you took your time.

Only problem was, the time required to find the cool poo poo was exacerbated by the horrid loading times. I still have not been able to beat that game since my first full playthrough, back when I had much more patience. I tried again last year, and even running the game on a solid state drive I still found myself prioritizing my actions so I could minimize loading screens.

I don't hate the game at all, but M.Ciaster is right - kill everyone and side with the Omar, it's the coolest ending.

The both being the same side was one of the worst bits. It makes very little sense narratively how both of them are sending you to contradictory objectives for half the game, it ruins any connection the player has to a side on ideological grounds (not that you could have much of one, the WTO's asshats and the Order is the most watered down pap ever to pass for a religion), and it's a poo poo plan. You don't unify people by setting them at each other's throats and then going "No, turns out they're cool." That only makes both groups rise against you as traitors to The Cause.

I do agree with the Omar ending. For all the crap they get, they're the only people who don't gently caress you over.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

The tutorial doesn't really help in Deus Ex. Every single person I know who played the game recalls blowing their own legs off the first time they did the tutorial.

The first time I played the Tutorial was after I had beaten the game twice.

I still blew my legs off.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

chiasaur11 posted:

The both being the same side was one of the worst bits. It makes very little sense narratively how both of them are sending you to contradictory objectives for half the game, it ruins any connection the player has to a side on ideological grounds (not that you could have much of one, the WTO's asshats and the Order is the most watered down pap ever to pass for a religion), and it's a poo poo plan. You don't unify people by setting them at each other's throats and then going "No, turns out they're cool." That only makes both groups rise against you as traitors to The Cause.

I do agree with the Omar ending. For all the crap they get, they're the only people who don't gently caress you over.

Again, not to say the game didn't have some serious flaws, but I'm seeing personal biases towards what you think the game is Supposed to be like. The whole thing was that the Illuminati were playing both sides against the middle. The WTO and Order are SUPPOSED to be really crappy, because the illuminati are scheming pieces of poo poo who in the Deus Ex universe have pitted every side against every other for thousands of years. The WTO/Order were meant to fill voids for religious/scientific/etc. citizens of the post-collapse earth, and just because Alex saw the cracks in their respective messages and eventually found out the truth doesn't mean that every WTO/Order soldier did. The low-ranking schmo isn't told weird high-risk poo poo to do by the Order/WTO on an hourly basis. The presentation left a lot to be desired, but both the WTO and The Order were meant to be very lovely, unnerving organizations that you were meant to side with only as far as achieving your own ends.

I think the idea was that Chad Dumier and Nicolette DuClair were so masterful at what they do (having been taught by DeBeers, Everett, and Beth DuClare) that for each of the conflicting tasks they have you do, whatever way it plays out is advantageous to them in some way, and were manipulating Alex because they knew s/he was capable, being from the Denton line and all. The mistake came when they never showed the player what was actually going on other than a vague "ha ha we were playing you" was so it just kinda came off weak. (I generally choose the WTO because there are less loading screens between Seattle's Tarsus and their HQ)

Make no mistake, the DX Illuminati are very heartless pieces of poo poo and, although they see their intentions as good just like everybody else, they're very much an ends-justifies-the-means type organization in the most unflinching way possible. You not liking their offshoots does Not necessarily mean that the writing was poor.

On another topic, one big thing that the first two DX games did that ticked me off: as soon as you, The Player Character, learn about a supersecret organization bent on domination they suddenly have troops in Very public places en masse with fancy uniforms. In DX1 it was MJ12 (although you could find them in the sewer way earlier which was rad), and in DX2 it was those bald fellas who poo poo gas when they die. Way too convenient and player-centric.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Hard Clumping posted:

On another topic, one big thing that the first two DX games did that ticked me off: as soon as you, The Player Character, learn about a supersecret organization bent on domination they suddenly have troops in Very public places en masse with fancy uniforms. In DX1 it was MJ12 (although you could find them in the sewer way earlier which was rad), and in DX2 it was those bald fellas who poo poo gas when they die. Way too convenient and player-centric.

I think the events of the games are the real poo poo-hits-fan moments which is why they're suddenly operating out in the open. If the games took place during relative secrecy and coverups, it probably wouldn't make for a very fun game. If you read the newspapers scattered about a lot (but not all) of the events are covered in the news.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

FlyingCheese posted:

I think the events of the games are the real poo poo-hits-fan moments which is why they're suddenly operating out in the open. If the games took place during relative secrecy and coverups, it probably wouldn't make for a very fun game. If you read the newspapers scattered about a lot (but not all) of the events are covered in the news.

Hmm, you might be right. It never bothered me in Deus Ex because it really felt like poo poo was spiraling, but in IW it seemed way more out of the blue and my irritation went retroactive.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm up in UNATCO headquarters having escaped from the MJ12 base and I've just realised I forgot to set the NSF guy free from the cell opposite JC's, and the door back down to the base is permalocked :ohdear:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh the things they'll do to him. Walton Simons has a bit of a temper.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm up in UNATCO headquarters having escaped from the MJ12 base and I've just realised I forgot to set the NSF guy free from the cell opposite JC's, and the door back down to the base is permalocked :ohdear:

What a shame.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The reward for saving him is so great too!

One line of dialog

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would think the satisfaction of saving another man's life would be reward enough.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would think the satisfaction of saving another man's life would be reward enough.
I spared Lloyd, what more do you want from me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'd done a 100% pacifist run up until that point as well, knocking out every NSF in battery park and Hell's Kitchen without a single one dying or any of the UNATCO grunts copping it. That fight outside the 'ton was a massive pain in the arse to successfully pacify. I even knocked out every single guy who came for Paul. Poor NSF trooper :(

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I don't understand why not letting anybody die in Hell's Kitchen is part of a pacifist run? You're not personally causing the harm! Call that a "superman run"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As I have previously established it's Batman run.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
It's my second time through the game and I'm going Pacifist. So far its been relatively easy but I'm only up to the first Hells Kitchen. I already screwed the pooch at preventing the fighting in Battery Park so if people are going to shoot each other I'm not going to stop them. I'm optimistic but I have no clue how I'm going to handle Paul's apartment or Navarre though. Theres not enough gas grenades and tranq darts in the world. I'm hoping I can tranq the NSF leader and have that count at least.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrSlam posted:

It's my second time through the game and I'm going Pacifist. So far its been relatively easy but I'm only up to the first Hells Kitchen. I already screwed the pooch at preventing the fighting in Battery Park so if people are going to shoot each other I'm not going to stop them. I'm optimistic but I have no clue how I'm going to handle Paul's apartment or Navarre though. Theres not enough gas grenades and tranq darts in the world. I'm hoping I can tranq the NSF leader and have that count at least.

Pauls Apartment is going to be a lot of quickloads my friend. All I can say is, if people are at low health from bullets they will get knocked unconscious faster. Try to have Paul weaken them for you.

Sadly tranqing the NSF leader implies that Anna just kills him after you leave. Truly the only to save him is to pick him up and take him with you.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was fun how Anna would like you more if you played as a complete murderous rear end in a top hat, but that always winds up in the same plot place.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I think in a good pacifist run (but not Batman run I guess) it is acceptable to tranq Lebedev and walk away, even if the game assumes someone killed him. Then in UNATCO whenever you're fighting Anna, go to the door, realize it is locked, then kill Anna because you have no other choice. I mean people are dying of the plague all over the place, you can't save everyone anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

EngineerSean posted:

Then in UNATCO whenever you're fighting Anna, go to the door, realize it is locked, then kill Anna because you have no other choice.

There's always a choice :colbert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Even if you carry Lebedev with you, the story assumes that he dies if Navarre doesn't, right?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

This is just a glitch and the game still treats it like she died. Game over buddy, you are now a murderer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Geight posted:

Even if you carry Lebedev with you, the story assumes that he dies if Navarre doesn't, right?

How can he be dead? You're carrying him around with you! He's right there!

EngineerSean posted:

This is just a glitch and the game still treats it like she died. Game over buddy, you are now a murderer.

That's the game's fault. My conscience is clear.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Do you think that's a defense in a court of law? If anything, throwing that grenade in a government building probably carries a higher charge. Poor Janice had a heart attack. Manderly was killed by Walton Simons for incompetence. Anna ran off into the woods and lived as a feral beast, occasionally clearing out a room full of terrorists. Now even more people are dead.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The only solution is to mod the game to let you put unconscious people in your inventory.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

EngineerSean posted:

Do you think that's a defense in a court of law? If anything, throwing that grenade in a government building probably carries a higher charge.

I'd like to imagine he tripped and fell with the grenade in his hand. It is only JC's first day and all.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

Manderly was killed by Walton Simons for incompetence.

It brings up a conundrum; if you have Lebedev with you when escape UNATCO, who should you take with you to Hong Kong? No matter who you leave, they're going to die; Manderley by Simons, or Lebedev by UNATCO troopers or Simons. Should Lebedev be allowed to hang out in the middle of the control room in Tong's lab, or should Manderely be taken over to Tong's so that he can relax with Jacobson and help him?

Either way, it makes a Batman run truly impossible. :colbert:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Hide Manderly in the storage shed, code 0451

Lebedev too, but make sure their clothes are off first.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

EngineerSean posted:

Hide Manderly in the storage shed, code 0451

Lebedev too, but make sure their clothes are off first.

I actually considered this. But when he woke up he would probably alert somebody and then get killed. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to leave Lebedev down in that little locked hatch next to the shed, with written instructions to wait there. Then maybe Jaime or Jacobson can get him on their way out somehow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

closeted republican posted:

It brings up a conundrum; if you have Lebedev with you when escape UNATCO, who should you take with you to Hong Kong? No matter who you leave, they're going to die; Manderley by Simons, or Lebedev by UNATCO troopers or Simons. Should Lebedev be allowed to hang out in the middle of the control room in Tong's lab, or should Manderely be taken over to Tong's so that he can relax with Jacobson and help him?

Obviously, you save Private Lloyd.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That reminds me, what the gently caress is up with the UNATCO trooper's eyes? I googled it and evidently they 'corrected' it for the PS2 version.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

chiasaur11 posted:

Obviously, you save Private Lloyd.

It is canon that Lloyd doesn't die and MUST remain in New York.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

It is canon that Lloyd doesn't die and MUST remain in New York.

Lloyd got a 7.62mm round to the head in my last run because gently caress that guy. If he was your true friend, he wouldn't eagerly shoot at you like the rest of the troops do. :colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
My JC leaves UNATCO HQ the way he entered it: in a haze of gas grenades, prod stuns and zyme intoxication.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lloyd got a 7.62mm round to the head in my last run because gently caress that guy. If he was your true friend, he wouldn't eagerly shoot at you like the rest of the troops do. :colbert:

They told him it was an initiation prank!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Either way, it makes a Batman run truly impossible. :colbert:

Take Lebedev with you until the next New York section, dump his rear end on the roof of the 'Ton Hotel. No-one ever checks there.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a way around the locked doors in the 747 to get to the NSF boss? I only have 1 lockpick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a way around the locked doors in the 747 to get to the NSF boss? I only have 1 lockpick.

The key is in a room on the plane with a lot of screens in it, upstairs in a back corner I think? Going from memory.