Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have this old Morgan Dollar my folks gave me as a kid. Like everyone says, I do not plan on selling it, but I was curious what it is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I think the 1897-O Morgan is a semi-key date. You should send it out to get graded and slabbed!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ron Don Volante posted:

There are keydates within each series, worth up to hundreds of dollars, as well as semi keydates. Below are the keydates:

Indian Cent: 1877, 1908 S, 1909 S

Lincoln Cent: 1909 S VDB, 1909 S, 1914 D, 1922 Plain (No D), 1931 S, 1955 Double Die

Buffalo Nickel: 1913 D Type II, 1913 S Type II, 1914 D, 1921 S, 1937 D 3-legged

Mercury Dime: 1916 D, 1921, 1921 D

Washington Quarter: 1932 D, 1932 S

Jefferson nickels and Roosevelt dimes are pretty common in every date, but it might be worthwhile to see pictures of the Indian Head cents, the Lincoln cents 1909-1940, and the Buffalo nickels.

Thanks for the info, here's another gallery based on what you posted:

http://imgur.com/a/1f9l9

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think the 1897-O Morgan is a semi-key date. You should send it out to get graded and slabbed!

The 1897-O is not anything special in that grade and wouldn't be worth sending in. Especially this one, as it would come back with a Details grade due to the cleaning/questionable color. Value is $25-30.

BraveUlysses posted:

Thanks for the info, here's another gallery based on what you posted:

http://imgur.com/a/1f9l9

Nice coins! The 1875 Indian Head is worth up to $10, the Flying Eagle cent probably $15. The 1908-S is a semi-key, but yours looks like it has some scratches/damage on it, so maybe around $35 for that. Without the marks it'd be $60-70. The rest of the coins are mainly worth up to a buck or two.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I've inherited a bunch of coins that seem to be nothing more than proof sets and commemorative coins that appear to be worth little. I did find five rolls of what look like uncirculated quarters and I wanted to see if anyone thought they were worth more than face value.

It's 65, 66, 67, 79 & 80.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I don't collect paper money but I always keep an eye out for Star Notes. I got this 2009 $20 Star Note from the ATM the other day. It didn't have a cool serial number and it wasn't crispy enough to warrant throwing up on eBay. Spent it on beer.

This is my US 90% stack, minus the $1 in quarters I just won from eBay. Need another $2 to complete the roll.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't collect paper money but I always keep an eye out for Star Notes. I got this 2009 $20 Star Note from the ATM the other day. It didn't have a cool serial number and it wasn't crispy enough to warrant throwing up on eBay. Spent it on beer.

yea they printed 9.6 million Atlanta star notes on this series on this denom in 2011-2013, not a rare one, good call

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Finally finished my roll of 1964 Quarters. Dunno what to stack next. My LCS has a pretty well stocked $25 Morgan Dollar bin I could raid every week until I finish a roll. Or I could buy 5oz silver bars and/or 1/10oz AGE's.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

OK I couldn't really find anything online about this, figure this would be a good place to ask. I found a coin the shape and color of a penny, on one side it says this coin is the key with the eye in the triangle Illuminati thingy on it and on the other has an american flag with a website, https://www.iknow.tv. The website seems to have been taken offline. At first I thought some random crazy guy made it but it seems pretty well done.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Awesome. I have a bunch that I would love to learn more about.
I know nothing. I inherited all of them so I don't think I'd sell any particular one unless it was super valuable.

1914 five mark:

Syrian, I think. 10 something?

Ethiopian?

No idea. Ottoman empire?
Has some green residue and damage of a sort.

It's weird in that it doesn't seem like the coin was struck by anything rather than maybe it was corroded by a super vicious drop of acid but I think that maybe the metal had some internal weakness or bubble of some sort and the it broke off.

One Mil Palestina/Eretz Yisrael:

Olden times:

Bahamas proof coin set:

with some papers:

Five cors 1909:

World cup mexico coin:

Comes in a wallet:

These two Olympics Mexico coins:

<-they're set in a frame so no B side.

Apollo Suyoz commemorative coin:

Has papers too:

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

"Olden times" looks to be a bronze follis of Constantine the Great 's son Constantine II from 317-340 AD
extremely common and worth about $5 in this condition

Because I've seen these a lot I think the inscription is DN CONSTANTINVS PF AVG putting it at the time he was Emperor with his brothers 337-340
fully written out that's:
Dominus Noster Constantinus Pious Felix Augustus
(Our Lord Constantine II Pius and Happy Emperor)

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 21, 2014

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Al Harrington posted:

"Olden times" looks to be a bronze follis of Constantine the Great 's son Constantine II from 317-340 AD
extremely common and worth about $5 in this condition

Because I've seen these a lot I think the inscription is DN CONSTANTINVS PF AVG putting it at the time he was Emperor with his brothers 337-340
fully written out that's:
Dominus Noster Constantinus Pious Felix Augustus
(Our Lord Constantine II Pius and Happy Emperor)

Thank you!
Nice to know about the inscription too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Went to visit my parents this morning and my mom had this for me.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Hellbeard posted:

Thank you!
Nice to know about the inscription too.

the reverse is FEL TEMP REPARTIO, fully it would read Felix Temporum Repartio meaning something like "a happy renewal of times" or "Happy Days are Here Again" with a Roman soldier spearing a fallen Persian horseman

ancient coins were great at spreading propaganda

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is exactly what I need! I've got a bunch of inherited coins I'm trying to figure out the value of. They've been in a hot attic for a decade or so.

The bulk of what I've got is a bunch of oddity coins, mostly pennies, it seems like. I have dozens of these, this is only a small sampling. It seems like they're mostly from the middle of the 20th century.

This seems valuable. A 1998-W American Eagle coin. Seems like this one: http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/CoinDetail.aspx?CoinID=710424

Can I assume it's in the best condition, since it's in that fancy book/plastic case?

A set of silver dollar coins, sealed in a plastic case. They do not look to be in perfect condition.

Some halfway-full penny and nickel sleeves. I'm guessing these aren't worth much.

Some wrinkly-rear end $2 bills. Is there anything unique about them, or are they worth about $2 each?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Values inline

Hellbeard posted:

Awesome. I have a bunch that I would love to learn more about.
I know nothing. I inherited all of them so I don't think I'd sell any particular one unless it was super valuable.

1914 five mark:
1914 Prussia/Germany 5 Mark - $35

Not sure of the origin of the next 4 world coins, but they're all base metal and most likely not worth much. You're probably right on the Ethiopia one.

Bahamas proof coin set:
$60

Five cors 1909:
1909 Austria 5 Corona - $25

World cup mexico coin:

Comes in a wallet:
A medal, not a coin, so I have no idea on value. It says .980 fine silver though, so worth at least bullion value.

These two Olympics Mexico coins:
One on the right is worth $10, I've never seen the one on the left.

Apollo Suyoz commemorative coin:
$15

cbirdsong posted:

This thread is exactly what I need! I've got a bunch of inherited coins I'm trying to figure out the value of. They've been in a hot attic for a decade or so.

The bulk of what I've got is a bunch of oddity coins, mostly pennies, it seems like. I have dozens of these, this is only a small sampling. It seems like they're mostly from the middle of the 20th century.

The term for these is "error" coins. I've never collected them, so I can't give you much of an idea of value, but I would guess that these are all minor errors or die varieties.

This seems valuable. A 1998-W American Eagle coin. Seems like this one: http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/CoinDetail.aspx?CoinID=710424

Yep, that's a 1/4th oz American Gold Eagle. It's a proof coin (mirrored surfaces) and is worth a premium over bullion value. ~$375

A set of silver dollar coins, sealed in a plastic case. They do not look to be in perfect condition.

The 1921 Morgan Dollar and 1922 Peace Dollar are worth about $20-25 each, the American Silver Eagle (1 oz silver bullion coin) is worth a slight premium over bullion value, and the Ike dollar and Susan B Anthony are worth face value.

Some halfway-full penny and nickel sleeves. I'm guessing these aren't worth much.

Nope, only a few of the Jefferson nickels are worth much, definitely nothing after 1962. And modern Lincoln cents aren't worth much either.

Some wrinkly-rear end $2 bills. Is there anything unique about them, or are they worth about $2 each?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Sweet! Thanks!
I guess I'll just wait 1,000 years until the value goes up. :jewish:

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

I have an 1866 US three cent piece. I think a family member got it in change from someone who thought it was a dime about 20 years ago. What's it worth?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
One like yours, with the laurels, ridges, and date intact, can go for about $15-20. 1866 is a common date, the second year that one was minted. Wasn't very popular, surprise!

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

Shere posted:

One like yours, with the laurels, ridges, and date intact, can go for about $15-20. 1866 is a common date, the second year that one was minted. Wasn't very popular, surprise!

Thanks!

I read online that three-cent coins were used to buy three-cent postage stamps. If 1866 is a common year, and the second year that they were minted, did the decision to start making these coins have anything to do with the end of the Civil War?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Well, mostly! The 3 cent nickel you have came about because the Civil War triggered mass amounts of precious metal hording. The 3 cent silver that preceded it, which was mostly created for buying postage, fell victim to the hording. So the Mint came up with the copper/nickel 3 cent nickel to use instead, and since it wasn't made of anything worth a drat, it never really caught on. This was made worse by the fact that a dime is basically the same size as it.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I've inherited a bunch of coins that seem to be nothing more than proof sets and commemorative coins that appear to be worth little. I did find five rolls of what look like uncirculated quarters and I wanted to see if anyone thought they were worth more than face value.

It's 65, 66, 67, 79 & 80.

The 1979 one appears to have been struck through a piece of wire.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DominusDeus posted:

The 1979 one appears to have been struck through a piece of wire.

What does that mean?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

It looks like there's some sort of strike flaw on that coin - is that part of the coin, or just a hair that fell on it?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What does that mean?

http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossarys/g/Struck-Through.htm

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone buying in the $17's/oz? Some unforeseen bills are kicking my rear end right now and it's killing me that you can buy 5oz bars for under $100 shipped right now and I'm stuck on the sidelines. I did just pick up a Morgan Dollar on eBay for $24 shipped (plus I already had $4 in my PayPal account) though so that should soothe my cravings for now. My LCS has a $25 Morgan Dollar Bin but that doesn't include tax so I made out okay on this one.

I'm waiting on my mom to get back to me with my dad's ring size. I want to have a Peace Dollar or a Walking Liberty Half Dollar with the year my grandpa was born made into a ring for him for Christmas.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Is this a mint mark error?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

CannedMacabre posted:

Is this a mint mark error?

There's a guy in the bushes! Code Red! Code Red!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
You ever collect coins... on weeeed?

So I decided to show some of my horde. I worked for a bank for 12 years and for part of that time I was the vault manager. One of the perks of such a job is buying silver out of circulation at face value. On the teller line, (most tellers are morons btw) I would try to inform people that they didn't want to use silver coins for face value, still, there is a surprising amount of silver in circ. Like I said, most tellers don't know poo poo about old currency, and more than once I had to explain that, "No, that is not a counterfeit, that is a silver certificate." or "No, a silver eagle is worth MUCH more than a dollar." However, when you are in the vault and cash and coin comes in from points unknown and has to be sorted, you can find all kinds of great stuff:

(sorry for poo poo pics)

The dime and the first couple of half dimes are pretty wrecked. Half dimes don't go through coin sorters very well. The big cent is worn but is a liberty head, not sure what year but it does not have a shoulder. The half cent and 1856 half dime are in pretty good shape.

$10 "Redeemable in gold"

Silver clad Ike

poo poo tons of Silver Certs and Red Twos

And lastly, bulk silver:

At the top is a roll and a half of WWII Nickels. Some quarters of 1900-1964, Franklin, standing Liberty and Kennedy Halves, Dimes.

I use to have a lot more, but hard times forced me to liquidate some. Bulk coin silver is always a nice little way to buy your rear end out of trouble. I have a vague idea of the value of these, but I thought I would just share some of my collection.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

nice haul there

I wanted to work in a bank right out of school, but around here 99% of bankers actually handling money are women so it wasn't meant to be

the '28B $10 chicago isn't worth a whole lot, perhaps $20, it's a lime green seal so it's a little better note, but not terribly attractive

the blue and red seals you'd need to break down by denom and series for me to help you out at all, billions were printed but there are rarities worth good money to be found
any star notes?

find any errors on paper money?

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 1, 2014

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Thanks for the feedback Al. No errors on the bills, no stars. I think there is one $1 that is oddly cut showing a black dash orientation mark below the front image in the wide margin. I'll have to look it over.

The real beauty of my collection is that I only have face value invested in it.

EDIT: Any thoughts on the 49 Jefferson?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone buying in the $17's/oz?

I'm not buying anything until it's back under $10/oz. It might take another year or so, but it's definitely headed back down that way. I may start buying my kids some collectable coins like Silver Pandas, Eagles, and others, but I'm not touching bars/rounds or old US Silver until the price corrects farther downward.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

CannedMacabre posted:

Thanks for the feedback Al. No errors on the bills, no stars. I think there is one $1 that is oddly cut showing a black dash orientation mark below the front image in the wide margin. I'll have to look it over.

The real beauty of my collection is that I only have face value invested in it.

EDIT: Any thoughts on the 49 Jefferson?

yea that's just a guide line for where to cut, not worth a premium as they show up all the time

the jefferson is either just wear or an "RPM" re-punched mint mark, its a minor variety that could be worth a couple bucks, would have to have someone with knowledge of RPMS look at it, perhaps one of the coin guys in here as US coins are my weak area

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Man you make me wanna get a part-time job at a bank. Lucky bastard!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man you make me wanna get a part-time job at a bank. Lucky bastard!

It's not all cheap silver and hot teller rear end. It's soulless, terrible work a lot of the time.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got this 1921-S Morgan Dollar off eBay in the mail yesterday.

Just picked up this classic 1oz Engelhard bar from my LCS this morning.

Elilura
Oct 6, 2014
I've had these lying around for ages, not sure where they came from. I know Australian coins aren't your thing but maybe you know anyway.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just managed to hagle an avg. circ. 1921-D Morgan Dollar mislabled in the title as 1921-E down to $19.52 shipped on eBay. I also just ordered the new Zombucks Feast Dollar. Will post pictures next week when they get here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

2018 Zombucks Feast Dollar.

1921-D Morgan Dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Silver image dump...

• Locked thread