Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
If anyone was wondering about the trade ins if you already bought the phone, I can confirm that everything is hunky dory. I got my iPhone 6 via Apple but I still wanted to trade in my old 4S and 5S after the fact. The promo they have running was still good - got $200 for the 4S and $300 for the 5S. They even applied it to my bill right then and there. Total time in the store was maybe 15 minutes. In and out pretty quick. So anyone who bought a new 6 but hasn't traded in their old shouldn't have a problem. The only thing I'm not sure of is how long their current promo lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Is there a way to either order or reserve for store pickup an iPhone 6+ when a) the billing address for the account is on the other side of the country and b) I want to get the phone on Next? It seems like AT&T will only ship the phone to the billing address for the account, and I can't reserve for store pickup on Next through either Apple or AT&T. I'd rather not have to mash F5 on store inventories and camp out at stores to get the phone before December.

Edit: Would it be possible to reserve a phone for in-store pickup as a 2-year contract phone then have the store reps activate it as a Next 12 phone?

Phantom Limb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 23, 2014

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is the free ipad AT&T is offering on trade ins a Retina?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

So this is the same boat I'm in.

If I get onto my girlfriend's mobile share, which she has at $15/line, I can't get a regular discounted phone, I have to either buy full price or do Next if we want to keep $15/line?

And if I DO get a regularly discounted phone, will only MY line be at the $40 price, or will all of the lines of the plan be upped to $40 each?

That's all correct.

"Discounted" phone means a 2-year contract. You pay $X up front, sign a two-year deal, pay $40 a month. If you buy a phone full price or with Next, you pay $15 for the service.

If you sign a contract, it's only your line that's $40 a month. Next is probably your best option, TBH. You pay $15 for the line + (phone price / (20 or 24)), which usually works out to $15 + $25 or so (iPhone 6 starts at $27.09/mo and the 6+ starts at $31.25--those are for 24 months. For reference, a 128GB 6+ on the 20 month plan is $47.50 a month extra--but it's $500 with a contract and $950 outright).

You pay for the phone either way. Next is an interest free payment plan (you pay tax up front). You can pay it off early and you can also keep the phone (or upgrade after 12/18 months by trading in the working device). It isn't 100% the best deal every time, but a lot of times it is.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My wife and I both got new jobs within the last couple months and I think we both are eligible for a discount now. Is there an easy way to look up who has the better discount or do I need to go digging on our job websites? Also the plan is in her name, if my discount is better what sort of shenanigans do I need to pull to switch that over to my name? (or just add my name or whatever)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jiffynuts posted:

If anyone was wondering about the trade ins if you already bought the phone, I can confirm that everything is hunky dory. I got my iPhone 6 via Apple but I still wanted to trade in my old 4S and 5S after the fact. The promo they have running was still good - got $200 for the 4S and $300 for the 5S. They even applied it to my bill right then and there. Total time in the store was maybe 15 minutes. In and out pretty quick. So anyone who bought a new 6 but hasn't traded in their old shouldn't have a problem. The only thing I'm not sure of is how long their current promo lasts.

Good to hear it went well. Promo goes till sept 30th fyi, any preorders do have the credit locked in even if you get the phone after September.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is the free ipad AT&T is offering on trade ins a Retina?

Nope, original. Retina would be $130. Promo is $200 off ipad for purchasing iphone with next, trade in of $200 on a 5, 4S or 5. So $400 off, and the iPad Mini is $399, Mini retina $529, Air $629. There is a $40 act fee.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Vinlaen posted:

I've purchased an iPhone 6 using my wife's line but I'd like to activate it on my line. (i.e. cross-upgrade)

When I called AT&T, they said I needed a new SIM for the iPhone 6, but my old phone had a nano SIM that fits in the new phone.

Should I be able to activate the iPhone with my old SIM?

I'm not sure everyone knows this yet, but apparently the issue with the iPhone 6 on AT&T is that if you didn't get an AT&T locked model, you'll need one of their Isis SIM cards (clearly now a bad name, they're being rebranded to Softcard). I don't know if they do anything at all for the 6 but they add/enable NFC functionality to other phones so you can use the Isis Wallet app. That's why popping a 5's SIM in there gets you sent a text message telling you to upgrade it.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Shuffle posted:

ATT bought out my local provider(element mobile), and is transitioning us from CDMA to GSM so we're getting free replacement phones.

Currently we have 2 dumbphones and my mobile hotspot
we have 500 talk 250 text and unlimited data for 140/month

after the transition will it be possible to upgrade my phone to a smartphone using NEXT, will I be allowed to keep my unlimited data? I live in thesticksso this is my only internet connection.

finally if I can upgrade when can I expect to see the Moto X 2nd gen available?

quoting for followup, person at the store I use told me I'd have to purchase a smartphone at full price or buy a used one to keep my unlimited data.

now trying to decide if it's worth losing unlimited I'm petty close to 10gb a month on my crappy evdo connection as is http://i.imgur.com/rVgjZgt.png I can ony imagine I'd use more data when the tansition to att's netwok occurs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

myron cope posted:

That's all correct.

"Discounted" phone means a 2-year contract. You pay $X up front, sign a two-year deal, pay $40 a month. If you buy a phone full price or with Next, you pay $15 for the service.

If you sign a contract, it's only your line that's $40 a month. Next is probably your best option, TBH. You pay $15 for the line + (phone price / (20 or 24)), which usually works out to $15 + $25 or so (iPhone 6 starts at $27.09/mo and the 6+ starts at $31.25--those are for 24 months. For reference, a 128GB 6+ on the 20 month plan is $47.50 a month extra--but it's $500 with a contract and $950 outright).

You pay for the phone either way. Next is an interest free payment plan (you pay tax up front). You can pay it off early and you can also keep the phone (or upgrade after 12/18 months by trading in the working device). It isn't 100% the best deal every time, but a lot of times it is.

Cool, cool...looks like Next might be the best option.

Ok, next (uhhh...pun not intended) question:

Can I get a Motorola X on Next, using the online Motomaker?

I see a button on the Motomaker for "bought in store" and it wants a PIN...so is that how I buy it with Next and can use Motomaker?

And it looks like if I get the fancy wood or leather back, and the 32 GB option, it'll be $575/(20 or 24) + tax. Tax will be $46 here, and then the monthly will be either $28.75, or ~$24.

So $15 for the line, $25-ish for the phone, and $25 for my share of the data. $65/month total. And then obviously if I pay off the phone cost early, it will go down to ~$40/month.

I'm currently on GoPhone and paying about $65 after tax and whatnot, so the price per month works out to be about the same, only this way, the cost of a new phone is included in that price, rather than having to buy it outright, full-price all at once.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can I get a Motorola X on Next, using the online Motomaker?

I see a button on the Motomaker for "bought in store" and it wants a PIN...so is that how I buy it with Next and can use Motomaker?

Yeah, I asked the same question earlier, Duckman said:

quote:

Yes you absolutely can. I'm not sure if stores got all the cards yet though, we had someone asking and we couldn't find the 32GB card. But yeah, can def do next.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Shuffle posted:

quoting for followup, person at the store I use told me I'd have to purchase a smartphone at full price or buy a used one to keep my unlimited data.

now trying to decide if it's worth losing unlimited I'm petty close to 10gb a month on my crappy evdo connection as is http://i.imgur.com/rVgjZgt.png I can ony imagine I'd use more data when the tansition to att's netwok occurs.

Assuming AT&T now controls your account, call AT&T and ask them if you can keep your unlimited data. The rep himself can not keep your unlimited data because his system recognizes your plan as technically not having an AT&T recognized unlimited data plan. They might be able to move you over to a plan that has unlimited data.

No guarantees however.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I would just like to complain about how loving stupid AT&T is (nothing new):

Trying to charge a mysterious $40 upgrade fee just on the new iPhones

Refusing to unlock my old iPhone for another 2 weeks, despite the fact I could go return my current iPhone 6, reactivate my old phone, get it unlocked, then go get a 6 again.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The trade period ends on the 30th, but no stores near me seem to have any 6s in stock. So if I go to trade in my 4s, I'll have to go without a phone until they come in stock?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The $40 upgrade fee is not new and not specific to iPhones.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So, what are my options as far as trading in my old 4S when I am NOT trading it on a new phone? I already got my 6 using Next, but didn't think to trade my old phone in at the time.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

smackfu posted:

The $40 upgrade fee is not new and not specific to iPhones.

The upgrade fee's not new, but the $40 will be new for many people; it was $35 two years ago.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Elysium posted:

The trade period ends on the 30th, but no stores near me seem to have any 6s in stock. So if I go to trade in my 4s, I'll have to go without a phone until they come in stock?

AT&T's website posted:

Choose a service plan, add to your cart, and checkout. If you place your new smartphone order on or before September 30, 2014 you will be eligible for the promotional trade-in value, even if you complete your trade-in after September 30, 2014.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
The iPhone trade-in promotion, does that apply to any iPhones, or only old AT&T iPhones.

For example, my parents are dropping Verizon to switch to my account. Can my Mom trade in her old Verizon iPhone 5s at the AT&T store after she joins my account buying a new 6? Just wondering because of CDMA/GSM and all that.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Beefstorm posted:

Assuming AT&T now controls your account, call AT&T and ask them if you can keep your unlimited data. The rep himself can not keep your unlimited data because his system recognizes your plan as technically not having an AT&T recognized unlimited data plan. They might be able to move you over to a plan that has unlimited data.

No guarantees however.

Thanks I'll try this when the switch over happens next month

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raimondo posted:

The iPhone trade-in promotion, does that apply to any iPhones, or only old AT&T iPhones.

For example, my parents are dropping Verizon to switch to my account. Can my Mom trade in her old Verizon iPhone 5s at the AT&T store after she joins my account buying a new 6? Just wondering because of CDMA/GSM and all that.

Trade in is for all iPhones.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
This may be a stupid question, but if I sign up for Next 12, then in 12 months decide there's not a new phone I want, am I still paying the Next 12 fee every month until month 20 or do those additional payments stop?

Assuming it's 20 payments, if I don't upgrade and I make an 20th payment, do I then own the phone or will I still have to trade it in the next time I upgrade?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
You will either trade the phone in at 12 months, pay it off, or continue making pavements in addition to your new phone. After you pay the phone off, it is yours. Any other solution to the second phone would be ludicrous

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
So I got my shiny new 6 and it's been great. I sent AT&T an unlock request for my Galaxy S4 and it got rejected. Why is that? I was under the impression when I signed the new deal (Next 12) with the new phone, the old one was no longer under contract. I can't sell it unless it's unlocked, right?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You'll usually get slightly more for it if it's unlocked because it can be used on any GSM network, but no, it doesn't need to be unlocked to be sold. All "locked" means is that it can only use an AT&T (or an AT&T MVNO's) SIM.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I swear I saw this in the thread somewhere, but now this lady on the AT&T Chat is screwing with my brain. I've ordered and am waiting on an Iphone 6. It will not be here before the 30th when the trade in program ends. Will they still take my trade in, or will I have to private sale?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Can't you trade it in, get the card and use it then? My cards show expiration dates of 3/15.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
No spare phones for the in between

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the_worm_ posted:

I swear I saw this in the thread somewhere, but now this lady on the AT&T Chat is screwing with my brain. I've ordered and am waiting on an Iphone 6. It will not be here before the 30th when the trade in program ends. Will they still take my trade in, or will I have to private sale?

You will still get the trade in promo since you ordered the phone in September. Doesn't matter when you get the phone and activate it, order date is what matters.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Duckman2008 posted:

You will still get the trade in promo since you ordered the phone in September. Doesn't matter when you get the phone and activate it, order date is what matters.

Building off this, I just placed an order for a new iPhone via att.com and it said I should be receiving an e-mail about the trade-in when I first started going through the process. I've got the order confirmation, but it doesn't mention the iPhone trade-in at all, nor the $100 off Next activation that I'm also allegedly eligible for.

Do I need to call AT&T and ask what's up or is the e-mail about the iPhone trade-in supposed to come later? Or do I just show up at an AT&T store with the old phone once my new one arrives?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Shrimpy posted:

Building off this, I just placed an order for a new iPhone via att.com and it said I should be receiving an e-mail about the trade-in when I first started going through the process. I've got the order confirmation, but it doesn't mention the iPhone trade-in at all, nor the $100 off Next activation that I'm also allegedly eligible for.

Do I need to call AT&T and ask what's up or is the e-mail about the iPhone trade-in supposed to come later? Or do I just show up at an AT&T store with the old phone once my new one arrives?

I just chatted with an ATT rep who told me that I would get an e-mail about trading in "when the new phone came in." I wasn't specifically asking about that so I didn't actually press for further details.

I was mainly asking why, when it offers me to transfer eligibility between lines for an upgrade, it doesn't actually show the upgrade price. She was like "you can just order on the other line and have applecare switch it for you later" and I was like "so the website claims to offer this but it doesn't actually work" and she was pretty much just like "yep, order on the other line."

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Crosspostin' from the iOS Apps thread:

I've been using DataMan Pro to track data usage on my iPhone, and it has been absolutely fantastic. However I now have an iPad on the same AT&T Mobile Share plan. DataMan doesn't support any kind of syncing or sharing across devices (I asked the dev). Is there an elegant solution to tracking shared data usage across two devices?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

terre packet posted:

Crosspostin' from the iOS Apps thread:

I've been using DataMan Pro to track data usage on my iPhone, and it has been absolutely fantastic. However I now have an iPad on the same AT&T Mobile Share plan. DataMan doesn't support any kind of syncing or sharing across devices (I asked the dev). Is there an elegant solution to tracking shared data usage across two devices?

myAT&T app can show your usage, among other things.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/myat-t/id309172177?mt=8&source=IAPUMH00C00mat00L&wtExtndSource=AH_Itunes

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Shrimpy posted:

I was in a similar situation last week, with the phone sitting in the "order processing" queue for several days. As soon as I got the email today that the phone had shipped, I got a second email with the trade-in offer code and full details. You likely won't get yours until the phone itself ships.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

The myAT&T app doesn't update in real time and doesn't show what apps are using up the data.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Hmm. This "upgrade to 15 gigs and get 15 more free forever" promotion is sucking me in.

I don't really NEED the additional data, but the ability to stream away and tether without any concerns has my attention.

30 gigs for the price of 15. May be worth it to up my 2 line/10gig plan...

http://about.att.com/story/sign_up_by_october_31st_to_get_30gb_of_truly_shareable_data_2_10_lines_starting_at_160_month.html?sf31660675=1

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I currently have 5 lines, 3 iPhone's on contract and 2 dumb phones. One iPhone is on the 3gb plan and the other 2 are on unlimited. I'm currently paying right around $211 after discount. Is there any benefit for me to switch to the new double mobile share plans? I would have to pay $160 + 40 for each iPhone line correct? This doesn't have the same special the previous mobile share deal had where they didn't charge you for the contract lines or something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Hmm. This "upgrade to 15 gigs and get 15 more free forever" promotion is sucking me in.

I don't really NEED the additional data, but the ability to stream away and tether without any concerns has my attention.

http://about.att.com/story/sign_up_by_october_31st_to_get_30gb_of_truly_shareable_data_2_10_lines_starting_at_160_month.html?sf31660675=1

They kept this one quiet, caught me off guard. I'll have details Monday to answer questions.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

hotsauce posted:

I did the math and even though it was going to cost me a little more I went ahead and switched to the mobile share 10GB plan and bought a LTE tablet. Part of my reasoning was sure there was no reason I should ever, ever go over my 4 GBs but I occasionally did and with 10GB I could be completely reckless with my data usage, tablet, phone, what the hell, watch a Netflix movie or two OTA.

gently caress you AT&T, now I am so tempted to get the 30 GB for just me and my tablet.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Anyone know if 32gb versions of the Moto X 2nd gen are available anywhere other than the Motorolla store? Also, am I able to do NEXT through the Motorolla store? Their website loving sucks and timed out for me multiple times while I was trying to check out, sending me back to the beginning of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, I'm trying to wrap my head around att next and our plan in general.

My wife and I are on the same att account: FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover.

We originally got this and were grandfathered in to unlimited data, but since we both have iphones, I'm pretty sure that's probably gone now.

Anyways, she just used her two year contract to upgrade to the iphone 6. I'm eligible for the 2 year upgrade next September and currently have an iphone 5s. The problem with my phone is the screen- I cracked it, paid $100 for a local place to fix it, and the face detection sensor doesn't work that well so I'm constantly hitting buttons with my face while on the phone and either putting people on hold, muting them, or banging numbers in their ear. It's really annoying.

So, could we possibly save money by going with Next? Right now we pay about 155/month.

For data usage, I average about 3gb/month and my wife averages about 2gb/month. For talking, I average 500minutes/month and she's at 900/month, but it seems we pay for Mobile to any mobile so the only thing we should be using for minutes is mobile to landline, which she calls her grandma, but that's really it. I can't find a way on AT&T's website to see just how many chargeable minutes we're using.

Anyways, would att next be a viable option perhaps? Or would it not matter in this case since she just upgraded? I'm trying to think of a way to get a new phone for me while also changing our plan to potentially save some cash.

Here's what our billing looks like:

quote:

FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover$60.00
Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling$30.00
International Long Distance - Standard$0.00
International Roaming - Expanded$0.00
Uverse Green$0.00
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM$30.00
alertIcon
National Account Discount help
−$13.50
Total Monthly Plan Charges$106.50