Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the OG iPad came with a 2.1 amp charger, phones come with a 1.0 amp one (I think, I haven't personally inspected the iPhone 6 charger yet).

So yeah the phones will charge faster with more juice available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've got 7 hours of usage and 28% battery left on my 6 Plus (I use my phones as my main internet consumption devices, and I spend far too much time on the Internet). This is the first time a phone has actually matched the battery life times reviewers quoted.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
When I a, in the car and use my Bluetooth to call someone, I never hear the phone ringing before they answer. I just hear them pick up. Started happening on my 5 when I updated to iOS 8 and my 6 does it too. Not a big deal just an odd thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

Even the OG iPad came with a 2.1 amp charger, phones come with a 1.0 amp one (I think, I haven't personally inspected the iPhone 6 charger yet).

So yeah the phones will charge faster with more juice available.

The iPad Mini came with a crappy one though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

D C posted:

When I travel I use an iPad charger anyway, and yeah it seems to charge my 5 faster? I dont know, either way I wanted to have 1 charger that I could charge both with.

Also easier using a splitter to charge my 2 phones at once is nice. The lovely Moto 2 port usb only supports like 500mA so the phones kinda trade off while charging, which is fine overnight but sucks when they are both low and I want to bump them up quickly.

Just be careful with off-brand chargers. Here's (slightly technical) write up on why cheap chargers can be dangerous (like destroy the phone/start a fire/maybe electrocute you).

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rubiks Pubes posted:

When I a, in the car and use my Bluetooth to call someone, I never hear the phone ringing before they answer. I just hear them pick up. Started happening on my 5 when I updated to iOS 8 and my 6 does it too. Not a big deal just an odd thing.

The bluetooth in my Rav4 doesn't actually engage until the call circuit is actually completed, so usually I miss the first ring. I'll have to test it, but I'm pretty sure I get the same behavior with my headset.k I think it might be how it works with Apple's BT implementation.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alright, I'm curious, anyone loaded up any apps that haven't been updated since iOS 2 or 3 on their iPhone 6? I want to see how comically bad they look (if they'll even launch.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

Alright, I'm curious, anyone loaded up any apps that haven't been updated since iOS 2 or 3 on their iPhone 6? I want to see how comically bad they look (if they'll even launch.)

My go to card game "Thrity One" just up and stopped working. I've had that game for a very long time (since iPhone3 I think).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The app "Ausgamers" (a news page app, basically) never got retina updates, so that would be a free one you could try.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is anyone else getting brutal wi-fi slowness on their iPhone 6? I noticed it was slow last night and again tonight. Speed test on my MacBook showed about 40mbps, but my phone came up with 0.11mbps. When I switched off Wi-Fi and tested LTE with my phone it was also around 35-40mbps.

Edit: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings seems to have fixed it for now, although people are saying that's a temporary fix and the slowness comes back.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 23, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

prom candy posted:

Is anyone else getting brutal wi-fi slowness on their iPhone 6?
I saw something on MacRumors about it earlier, but didn't read the article. It's safe to assume you're not alone. That said, I've had no issues with my iPhone 6 and AEBS.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My wifi seems fine, also using an AirPort Extreme.

Any good iPhone 6 wallpaper sites? Is there a central list of good Notification Center widgets?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Att uverse wifi box and a 6 here.

Wifi getting full 23mbits and this phone is fast as hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My WiFi performance on my 6 loving rules and blows away my old 5S in that department.

Cox is my ISP and my router is a Netgear WNDR4500.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Should I be concerned at the benchmark from Anand that has the 6+ performing at half the frames per second of the 6 and 5S?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What are some actual good uses of that "Hey Siri" feature? I have it on because it feels like im in a future movie but my convo usually goes: hey siri.....nevermind

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Voice commands are much quicker to set reminders and alarms.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

eriddy posted:

What are some actual good uses of that "Hey Siri" feature? I have it on because it feels like im in a future movie but my convo usually goes: hey siri.....nevermind

I've been using it while driving on the highway and I decide I don't like what I'm listening to and don't feel like crashing my car trying to mess with the music app.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's amazing to use when driving especially if you use your phone for GPS like I do. I just wish you could make it so the Siri screen dismisses on its own.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a reliable way to deal with hosed-up-ness between iTunes and iOS with regards to Music storage? At first I transferred my entire music library onto my 6, but as I played songs through the day iOS 8 would continually delete them. Then I un-synced music and re-synced, and now I have 50 gigs of music and 50 gigs of 'other'.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
My iphone 6 doesn't do inertia/momentum scrolling. I was having a miserable time using safari/chrome and didn't know why until I realized I was having to constantly scroll with my thumb. Did they disable this in ios 8 or something? This is my first iPhone so there's a good chance I'm just an idiot.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

vty posted:

My iphone 6 doesn't do inertia/momentum scrolling. I was having a miserable time using safari/chrome and didn't know why until I realized I was having to constantly scroll with my thumb. Did they disable this in ios 8 or something? This is my first iPhone so there's a good chance I'm just an idiot.

Oh thank god, I thought I was going crazy. No inertia scrolling on my 6 Plus either.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

lelandjs posted:

Oh thank god, I thought I was going crazy. No inertia scrolling on my 6 Plus either.

I just asked my friend with a 5 and ios8 and she says she scrolls fine "with rubberbanding." I can't find anything on google. Whats wrong with us help

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
No inertia on Safari on my 6 either. Gotta be a mistake.

Edit: also not in embedded web views

prom candy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 23, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Inertial scrolling means swipe with a flick and it will continue to scroll, right? There's no difference in Safari or Chrome on my 6 than on my 5.

E: the scrolling isn't as fluid as the Awful app or like Instagram but it's still "bouncy"

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 23, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

prom candy posted:

Is anyone else getting brutal wi-fi slowness on their iPhone 6?

I'm experiencing it on my 5s. It's so slow I'm just using LTE. Everything else works fine on wifi (MacBook, husband's PC, husband's Android phone and tablet). It must be some iOS 8 weirdness or something.

I did the reset network settings thing and it worked for a few hours, then it slowed down again and my game timed out. :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Inertial scrolling means swipe with a flick and it will continue to scroll, right? There's no difference in Safari or Chrome on my 6 than on my 5.

E: the scrolling isn't as fluid as the Awful app or like Instagram but it's still "bouncy"

I double checked and you're right, inertia scrolling is working, but it's not nearly as fast as I remember it being on my iPhone 4. I'm pretty sure I was able to do a quick fling and get thrown halfway down a page. It's not scrolling very far at all now, and it's worse in the upsampled apps.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Inertia works great in Facebook Messenger but Chrome and Safari barely move at all past the that inertia point.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I rather like not having such fast scrolling on web pages. If I give the screen a flick I can get just far enough to read the next part of the screen instead of flying down to the bottom.

I am experiencing some audio hiccups, though. Got sent a link to a YouTube video in Facebook messenger and while watching the video the audio was cutting out while I continued to get messages.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Hopefully this is just another iOS 8 bug and not something wrong with my new 6:

Sometimes when typing in landscape, if anything covers the proximity sensor, the screen stops taking inputs. It only happens in certain apps--so far, only zoomed apps not optimized for iPhone 6.

Is this a known thing?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm experiencing it on my 5s. It's so slow I'm just using LTE. Everything else works fine on wifi (MacBook, husband's PC, husband's Android phone and tablet). It must be some iOS 8 weirdness or something.

I did the reset network settings thing and it worked for a few hours, then it slowed down again and my game timed out. :(

Same here, also with a 5s. Both awful and Safari time out from time to time.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I just realized that carrying a 6+ while working out at the gym gives off the weirdest looks. Should I look into getting an armband (which looks pretty dumb), continue to hide the 6+ in my pocket, or is there any other advice you guys can offer?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Karsh posted:

Hopefully this is just another iOS 8 bug and not something wrong with my new 6:

Sometimes when typing in landscape, if anything covers the proximity sensor, the screen stops taking inputs. It only happens in certain apps--so far, only zoomed apps not optimized for iPhone 6.

Is this a known thing?

This happens with my 6 too and I see other people posting about it on the Apple forums. Disabling Reachability seems to fix it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Dancing Peasant posted:

I just realized that carrying a 6+ while working out at the gym gives off the weirdest looks. Should I look into getting an armband (which looks pretty dumb), continue to hide the 6+ in my pocket, or is there any other advice you guys can offer?

My advice is to not give a gently caress about what other people think and do your thing, man.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Put it in a Camelback.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

terriyaki posted:

After getting used to it for a couple days I've grown to really enjoy the 6+ size.

When I first got it on Friday I was a little bit skeptical as to how I would adapt but now I can't see myself going back to something as small as my old 5.

100% agree. In the preorder pickup line I was really thinking about just getting a 6, but man I love the extra screen size.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Feenix posted:

iPhone 6 is selling more on the grounds that there are less Pluses in existence to be sold.

Plus is probably selling a larger (all) percentage of its stock.

Hey all of you with SixPluses. How are you liking it after a few days? Adapting to the largesse? Able to use it efficiently? Bought a wheelbarrow for mobility? Do tell. :)

I purchased the 6 plus because I wasn't pleased that the 6 grew in size so if I'm forced to go bigger I may as well look like a drat droid. After a weekend with the plus I will never go back to a puny phone. My 5s seems ridiculously small now. Reachability owns and anyone that says otherwise hasn't used it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

bronin posted:

Same here, also with a 5s. Both awful and Safari time out from time to time.

It's really weird because it's kinda random. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it's so slow it times out. It's a big problem for me because I'm on a limited data plan. Hopefully they'll fix it soon...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

gohmak posted:

Reachability owns and anyone that says otherwise hasn't used it.

I used a Samsung Note for 6-7 months and by month 4-5 absolutely hated it. It's personal preference and plenty of people have used large phones and switched back. Thankfully the options there to go either way!

Edit: I hated dealing with the size of the phone, nothing else. It was fast and great aside from that.

vty fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Not that I play games (especially games that push the GPU hard) on my iPhone that much, so I don't much care, but I was really surprised at the FPS differences between the 6 and 6+ in the 3DMark tests over at Anandtech. I'm also surprised no one is discussing it.

You can see the exact numbers, but basically when in came to actual FPS in the tests, the 6+ had put out only around half the FPS that of the regular 6. However the other benchmarks that gave number ratings were mostly about the same.

They surmised the lovely FPS has to do with the down scaling the 6+ has to deal with constantly. I figured the 6+ would take a hit in GPU performance due to the scaling, but yeah, pretty surprised how big the hit actually is. I'm sure it only noticeably impacts the performances of the phone in games with complex graphics, so you likely won't see it in normal day-to-day usage. Hopefully.