Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

beedeebee posted:

Just started a game as Ivar the Boneless. Apparently you start with a 12k army and in the middle of two wars. After sieging some stuff, suddenly Jorvik gets most of that land? The fact that I'm pretty tired at the moment probably has something to do with it, but I find Ivar's start incredibly chaotic. However, if I spend some time looking at who is fighting who exactly, I can probably figure out a way to grab whole chunks of land at once?

No. You fight two wars. One is yours, the other is the war of your brother, the ruler of Jorvik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Torrannor posted:

No. You fight two wars. One is yours, the other is the war of your brother, the ruler of Jorvik.

Aha, that sure explains why he got all the stuff I sieged :downsgun:.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Torrannor posted:

This isn't accurate. You're fighting two wars, but they're both your own. One is against East Anglia and one is against Northumbria. But your brother has a parallel war with Northumbria for a different kingdom (Ivar is invading Scotland and Jorvik is invading England). All of these wars are invasions, so it's possible for your brother to win his invasion before you win yours, taking all of the English Northumbrian land even if you had it occupied. To avoid this, manipulate Jorvik into fighting all of your battles for you while sieging all of Northumbria, then go take East Anglia.

The true chaos is that you're now a colossal king/megaduke on top of wrong-culture wrong-religion land, and that you're ~50-60 years old with 5 sons, gavelkind, and an unreformed faith.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 22, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The true chaos is that you're now a colossal king/megaduke on top of wrong-culture wrong-religion land, and that you're ~50-60 years old with 5 sons, gavelkind, and an unreformed faith.

Which is why you pause upon winning, raise all of your levies, then imprison and execute all but one of your sons. Then you distribute your spoils of war to new, overjoyed vassals who have no idea what a brutal monster you are.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Which is why you pause upon winning, raise all of your levies, then imprison and execute all but one of your sons. Then you distribute your spoils of war to new, overjoyed vassals who have no idea what a brutal monster you are.

Instead of killing all your sons, make them all into counts, and just keep York. Having a large, landed dynasty is better than having too few heirs. You should probably revoke the church/city in York before you do that, so you can actually get some additional levies from them.

Or, do the same, but then use your newly raised levies to snipe a county in Wales, and swap to Welsh culture to enact Tanistry. You should have been the ruler of York long enough to immediately enact Tanistry once you flip culture.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
So, any ideas why I can't designate a bastard daugher as my heir? The moment I select the 'designate heir' (from Indian religions) button my heir resets to default. She's of my dynasty, acknowledged non-legitimized bastard. Gonna have to kill a bunch of family to get my niece to be my heir otherwise.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

grancheater posted:

So, any ideas why I can't designate a bastard daugher as my heir? The moment I select the 'designate heir' (from Indian religions) button my heir resets to default. She's of my dynasty, acknowledged non-legitimized bastard. Gonna have to kill a bunch of family to get my niece to be my heir otherwise.

You can only designate heirs that are eligible under your laws. I'm pretty sure non-legitimized bastards can't inherit, and since she's your daughter you can't pick her if you have absolute agnatic or ag-cog and viable male heirs.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kuiperdolin posted:

So, kind of a random question : how do I see what DLC I'm missing ? It seems there is no way to filther the list of dlc in steam and now that there are a million of them it's a pain to compare both lists.

And Steam just updated for me to now show that yes, I do have that DLC:

(and yes those are the only 2 DLCs I am missing right now)

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

You can only designate heirs that are eligible under your laws. I'm pretty sure non-legitimized bastards can't inherit, and since she's your daughter you can't pick her if you have absolute agnatic or ag-cog and viable male heirs.

That's a dumb rule. Also, running Abs Cog.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Exporting from my map generator to .bmp now works, including the exact brightness mix used for coastlines in the standard CK2 map. Amusingly though, imgur doesn't like bitmaps.

topography.bmp

With color overlay for clarity:

Getting indexed color tables just right for generating terrain type and texture maps is probably going to be a pain in the rear end.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

SeaTard posted:

Instead of killing all your sons, make them all into counts, and just keep York. Having a large, landed dynasty is better than having too few heirs. You should probably revoke the church/city in York before you do that, so you can actually get some additional levies from them.

Or, do the same, but then use your newly raised levies to snipe a county in Wales, and swap to Welsh culture to enact Tanistry. You should have been the ruler of York long enough to immediately enact Tanistry once you flip culture.

Scottish culture also enables you to enact tanistry.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Scottish culture also enables you to enact tanistry.

Yeah, but Scottish culture doesn't get you the best retinue in the game, the Longbow. :colbert:

e: Also, I might be mistaken, but I think there's a county with Welsh culture in Scotland in the Old Gods start.

Also, another great thing about having Welsh culture is that not only will the names of your newly born Welsh sons and daughters be fun and hosed up (Gwynwynwyn was my favorite) but some of the titles will change names upon being ruled by Welsh culture. Scotland becomes Alba and Britannia becomes Prydain, for a few examples.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 23, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, but Scottish culture doesn't get you the best retinue in the game, the Longbow. :colbert:

Scottish Pikemen are ultradeath robots constructed from fire and hate, sent from a land beyond time and space to bring about the end of the world. Fie on your archers. :colbert:

Ratpick posted:

e: Also, I might be mistaken, but I think there's a county with Welsh culture in Scotland in the Old Gods start.

The Kingdom of Strathclyde (Duchy of Galloway) is Welsh in 867, the last remaining outpost of the Hen Ogledd. :scotland:

Ratpick posted:

Also, another great thing about having Welsh culture is that not only will the names of your newly born Welsh sons and daughters be fun and hosed up (Gwynwynwyn was my favorite) but some of the titles will change names upon being ruled by Welsh culture. Scotland becomes Alba and Britannia becomes Prydain, for a few examples.

I'm hoping that Pictish culture will share this. Finally, I will be able to have superbastard pikes and cool title names.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Scottish Pikemen are ultradeath robots constructed from fire and hate, sent from a land beyond time and space to bring about the end of the world. Fie on your archers. :colbert:

I'll actually have to try the Scottish Pikemen at some point: in my Italian game I discovered that the Italian pike retinue was absolute bloody murder in defensive combat, but I still prefer archers because you can get more of them (and they make sieging and assaulting so much faster). If Scottish pikemen are even better than the Italian ones I'll have to reconsider my position.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
You need old gods to have retinues don't you?

And what's a good starting point for figuring wars/battles out? So far I've just worked on the principal of the most men win.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ratpick posted:

I'll actually have to try the Scottish Pikemen at some point: in my Italian game I discovered that the Italian pike retinue was absolute bloody murder in defensive combat, but I still prefer archers because you can get more of them (and they make sieging and assaulting so much faster). If Scottish pikemen are even better than the Italian ones I'll have to reconsider my position.

:unsmigghh:

What makes them so good isn't so much their stats (though defence is much, much better bonus than morale), but the Schiltron cultural tactic. Unfortunately, since Rajas you're far more likely to get Force Back instead, and Force Back is poo poo. :scotland:

(Also: "defensive combat"? Terrain modifiers aside, there's no difference between attacking and defending. Do terrain mods disproportionately affect pike or something? :confused:)

Masonity posted:

You need old gods to have retinues don't you?

Legacy of Rome, IIRC.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

(Also: "defensive combat"? Terrain modifiers aside, there's no difference between attacking and defending. Do terrain mods disproportionately affect pike or something? :confused:)
You're probably right about there being no difference between attacking and defending, that statement was colored by their insane modifiers to defense as well as the fact that I mostly made use of pike in situations where I just squatted my 5000 strong pike retinue in an enemy holding and laughed as they threw more than four times that number at my mans (although in this particular situation they were crossing a river and my troops were on a mountain). Suck it Byzantines.

I will have to try playing as Scotland some time. The Stamford bridge start is kinda slow as I recall (you only start with 1 holding in your demesne) but due to the uncertainty of the English throne it could be a nice alternative path to creating Britannia.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Yeah I'm still playing vanilla. Waiting on a steam sale to pick up the various dlcs.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

The Kingdom of Strathclyde (Duchy of Galloway) is Welsh in 867, the last remaining outpost of the Hen Ogledd. :scotland:

In my current game, guess who wound up with control of the Kingdom of Scotland?

Yup. Scotland is now Welsh. And by "Scotland" I of course mean "Albion."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Masonity posted:

Yeah I'm still playing vanilla. Waiting on a steam sale to pick up the various dlcs.

Humble Bundle Store has the collection on sale for $15.99, you can't beat that.

quote:

Includes 22 items: Crusader Kings II, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields, Crusader Kings II: Mongol Faces, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith, Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land, Crusader Kings II: African Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Caliph, Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shield II, Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome , Crusader Kings II: Byzantine Unit Pack , Crusader Kings II: African Portraits , Crusader Kings II: Songs of Byzantium , Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion, Crusader Kings II: Russian Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Russian Unit Pack, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Rus, Crusader Kings II: The Republic, Crusader Kings II: Mediterranean Portraits, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Prosperity

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Nice. If a kindly goon hadn't just PMed me a bunch of codes for all the DLCs (I'm probably still missing some songs of XYZ or faces of whatever but who cares about them) I'd be all over it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Unless I'm blind, it looks like it's missing Sons of Abraham, and Rajas of India. Both are useful DLCs to pick up, and RoI of course is mandatory if you want to play an Indian nation.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SeaTard posted:

Unless I'm blind, it looks like it's missing Sons of Abraham, and Rajas of India. Both are useful DLCs to pick up, and RoI of course is mandatory if you want to play an Indian nation.

(Hint: You don't)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Man, I really want to enjoy CK2+, but it just keeps blipping out of existence in those sort of CTDs where it doesn't even pause and go "hey ck2 stopped responding what's up with that".

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I won't be trite and say "that's weird", but it isn't something we've experienced in testing or gotten many reports of. It still CTDs occasionally but usually reloading from the last save lets you get past. If it's repeatable I can take a look (though we have a new patch releasing soon I think).

As I'm sure you know, the game's error logging is...unhelpful at best. If we don't have a save that consistently crashes on every or even most reloads and the validator isn't throwing any errors then fixing a CTD is pretty much blind luck (since release we've had quite a few CTD bugs get fixed as a happy coincidence to other bug fixes or changes we were making.)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

RoI is probably the worst DLC. I would say except Sunset Invasion, but I've actually had fun with that one.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

RoI is probably the worst DLC. I would say except Sunset Invasion, but I've actually had fun with that one.

Sunset Invasion is a little goofy but gameplay wise it's fine. It just makes it so someone who's not playing in Russia or Persia gets to actually have something happen to ruin their slow blobbing spread.

I mean, it comes so late usually you have enough troops to just outright win, but hey. Gotta start somewhere. Rajas on the other hand doesn't seem to add anything and I have never seen an Indian nation push out of Afghanistan.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Sunset Invasion is a little goofy but gameplay wise it's fine. It just makes it so someone who's not playing in Russia or Persia gets to actually have something happen to ruin their slow blobbing spread.

I mean, it comes so late usually you have enough troops to just outright win, but hey. Gotta start somewhere. Rajas on the other hand doesn't seem to add anything and I have never seen an Indian nation push out of Afghanistan.

I always justify it by pretending that whatever deity gave me the power to change history also had the side effect of making the Aztecs super powerful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There are a few really nice things added with RoI, such as the easy culture/religion conversion.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

There are a few really nice things added with RoI, such as the easy culture/religion conversion.

Yeah I guess that's cool. Is that ROI only or was it added with the patch though?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I won't be trite and say "that's weird", but it isn't something we've experienced in testing or gotten many reports of. It still CTDs occasionally but usually reloading from the last save lets you get past. If it's repeatable I can take a look (though we have a new patch releasing soon I think).

As I'm sure you know, the game's error logging is...unhelpful at best. If we don't have a save that consistently crashes on every or even most reloads and the validator isn't throwing any errors then fixing a CTD is pretty much blind luck (since release we've had quite a few CTD bugs get fixed as a happy coincidence to other bug fixes or changes we were making.)
Yeah, I get that. This is one of those infuriating ones, too, where it doesn't consistently crash with any rhyme or reason, so I doubt uploading a save would help. So, best I can do is go "bluh bluh, the mod crashes" and provide absolutely no useful data.

Well. It is a bit of a cheaty game, since I decided to start as the Count of Boulogne at the 1000 AD start and then promptly start heading east, convert to German culture, ~ cash and then start conquering Lithuania so I can form Livonia early. I keep waffling as to whether I want to play as Frankish Jerusalem or as the German Baltic, so I figured, poo poo, why not try to do both?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I always justify it by pretending that whatever deity gave me the power to change history also had the side effect of making the Aztecs super powerful.

Honestly, I kinda want more silly alt-history/fantasy DLC scenarios.
Chinese invasion!
Zulu invasion!
Some idiot sorcerer wannabe actually managed to open a portal to Hell and 100,000 demons pop out in [random province] and start wrecking everybody's poo poo!
Undead start rising up from the grave, and some of your former characters are now zombie kings in service to Beelzebub himself!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, I kinda want more silly alt-history/fantasy DLC scenarios.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
CK2 + Dominions 4 would be pretty fantastic.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ninjahedgehog posted:

Undead start rising up from the grave, and some of your former characters are now zombie kings in service to Beelzebub himself!

Not gonna lie, I would totally buy that DLC.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am encountering an issue (bug?) where I arrange a betrothal with someone but I never get the bethroned can marry option popping up anymore, nor does the AI ever message me about marrying the betrothed characters. The only work around I have found so far is either to save, exit and open it as the character I am marrying and tell them to accept the marriage; or to cancel and attempt a normal marriage proposal but that often results in betrothals that were really favorable to me turning into No's.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I have tried looking at Paradox's forums but have found jack all.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah I guess that's cool. Is that ROI only or was it added with the patch though?

I know the decisions have the 'has_dlc = "Rajas of India"' qualifier on them, but not sure about anything else. Probably trivial to mod, but it's only :10bux:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Larry Parrish posted:

I think my problem with RoI is less its geographical isolation than the fact that unlike Europe and the Middle East I have no real contextual understanding for what's going on in middle ages India, and it just ends up a mess of same-y names and titles. It doesn't help that the Muslims never decide to invade, for whatever reason, and that Jainism is so broken that it usually ends up making Hinduism go extinct.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Larry Parrish posted:

Rajas on the other hand doesn't seem to add anything and I have never seen an Indian nation push out of Afghanistan.

In my current game, the Ilkhanate manged to push into India for about a century and convert a lot of the northwest kingdoms to Nestorianism before they rebelled and broke away. I only found this out when I was fighting with the Mongols over Jerusalem and all of a sudden my cataphracts were fighting war elephants. It was actually pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fuligin posted:

It doesn't help that the Muslims never decide to invade,

To be fair, this was true for a fair portion of the CK2 timeframe. The initial spurt of Islamic conquests got as far as conquering some territory more-or-less coinciding with the southern portion of modern Pakistan, and then kind of just fizzled out for some centuries. It's only in the late 12th century, after Turkic Muslims started getting active in the House of Islam, that expansion sputtered into being in India again. Even then, the dynasty that did it (the Ghurids) did so only after securing Persia as a powerbase for themselves. Then they blew it, and the Mameluke dynasty which succeeded them in India managed to establish an independent realm which lasted into EU4.

So basically, yeah, other than lacking a Ghurid blast of expansion into India at some point that's basically how things were.

• Locked thread