Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

I might be :tinfoil:-ing here, but I think part of the reason they're going with an all male cast is so that Lightning can still be the "face" of female Final Fantasy heroines. It would be really funny if she ends up as a DLC party member or guest. (I would actually think it would be neat).

There is not a chance. The cast was designed around the same time as FFXIII was in production and the weird fan paranoia about Lightning is way overexaggerated. Square-Enix does not have a monument to her set up in their office that they worship or whatever. She was a marketable character in a game they could easily recycle material from and that is about it.

She could be a bonus boss or something but I doubt they're going to include DLC party members or have Lightning be part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'm just baffled that they obsessed over Lightening for 4 years. She's such a boring character. Serah eventually grew on me when I played XIII-2 but I just couldn't ever give a crap about Lightening. The part where she punches Snow in the face was good though.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 23, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Square-Enix does not have a monument to her set up in their office that they worship or whatever.

Exactly. It's actually a painting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Celery Face posted:

I'm just baffled that they obsessed over Lightening for 4 years. She's such a boring character. Serah eventually grew on me when I played XIII-2 but I just couldn't ever give a crap about Lightening.

She's a lot better in the Japanese version. Her voice actress does a lot to make her feel punchy and energetic.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
She'll probably be referenced now and again, same way with Cloud, Squall, and the like. Probably an appearance in Kingdom Hearts 3 at the most.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ImpAtom posted:

There is not a chance. The cast was designed around the same time as FFXIII was in production and the weird fan paranoia about Lightning is way overexaggerated. Square-Enix does not have a monument to her set up in their office that they worship or whatever. She was a marketable character in a game they could easily recycle material from and that is about it.

She could be a bonus boss or something but I doubt they're going to include DLC party members or have Lightning be part of the plot.

Yeah, true enough on the timing part. A bonus boss would be pretty neat.

Celery Face posted:

I'm just baffled that they obsessed over Lightening for 4 years. She's such a boring character.

She's really popular. Like Imp said, she's a marketable character, and her character art/model was able to be re-used for XIII's sequels, a XIV guest appearance, and whatever else she's in. And in all honesty, I like her as a character, even if she was boring in her own games. I thought her appearance in the XIV cross-over event was pretty cool.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Celery Face posted:

I'm just baffled that they obsessed over Lightening for 4 years. She's such a boring character. Serah eventually grew on me when I played XIII-2 but I just couldn't ever give a crap about Lightening. The part where she punches Snow in the face was good though.

They could really stand to "lighten" their final fantasy character roster, by removing her, haha

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You all getting excited because a game "features" zero playable women are goddamn weird. And likely contribute in no small way to the problems real women face daily.

How do you know they're all men? It's pretty hosed up to assume someone's gender based on cisnormative gender signifiers. You probably beat up trans people in your spare time, huh???

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSV6A9KCws&t=18s0

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

She's a lot better in the Japanese version. Her voice actress does a lot to make her feel punchy and energetic.

Which the sad part is the fact the US voice actress for Lightning CAN be punchy and energetic as seen in Kid Icarus when she playing Palutena.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Rirse posted:

Which the sad part is the fact the US voice actress for Lightning CAN be punchy and energetic as seen in Kid Icarus when she playing Palutena.

Yeah, I still don't know what the hell was up with the voice direction for the XIII series. Ali Hillis is a decent actress but I guess the voice director was just like "Okay, so you know Liara, right? Can you just like, do that but more boring, please?"

Granted I still like Lightning as a character, and her best English voice acting moments were when she was punching Snow and being a snarky rear end in a top hat playing a female Solid Snake in Lightning Returns.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Curtain Call I unlocked Lightning Twice. There are 2 Lightnings. To be fair there are also 2 Yunas, and 2 Tifas. You could have a 4 person party of Yuna and Lightning, or Tifa and Yuna. As far as I can tell there are no duplicate versions of the male characters you can unlock without buying DLC.

Vincent, who had his own game, is not unlockable :v: I think they made him DLC.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Hey theatrhythm nerds, does anyone have a map with black crystals as the reward??

We can battle each other and then I can get sweet crystals, thanks:

FC: 4897 5956 4819

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Vincent, who had his own game, is not unlockable :v: I think they made him DLC.

They made both him and Yuffie as DLC as a reference to them being hidden characters in FF VII. It's the only game with two DLC characters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

With regards to the gender issue in FF15, I do think it's kinda interesting to have a game overtly about male friendships. Granted most games are male dominated but then they're usually presented as a value neutral sample representation of the world, like how AVALANCHE is 2:1 men but they're an eco-terrorist group who don't really have much to with gender issues or how FFIX and X are both 4:3 men despite them being multi-national ragtag groups of heroes forced together more by circumstance than choice to save the world; bizarrely it'd be kinda refreshing to see masculinity acknowledged as a marked trait for once rather than the implicit default for being a character.

I don't think SE should make a habit out of it but it's a valid and potentially interesting subject for a game to spend some time on. This 'why don't you take it back to your strawman SJW tumblr?!?' attitude can gently caress right off though.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Kanfy posted:

They made both him and Yuffie as DLC as a reference to them being hidden characters in FF VII. It's the only game with two DLC characters.

What, no Umaro and Gogo DLC? :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one would pay money for such bottom of the barrel characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You know what we haven't had enough of yet, that's right, Tabata talking about FFXV stuff, this time an interview with Eurogamer where

quote:

"Another example is in the combat," explains Tabata. "With the hardware specifications of the newer consoles, it's possible to set it up so you have different enemies and different choices of attacks you can enter in, but I want to simplify that. It'll basically be a one-button action, and the AI intuitively outputs an action that kind of satisfies, gives you that instant gratification, and it connects with the simple touch of a button. I myself am not getting any younger. I don't want to be frantically pushing buttons. I also want to utilise the intelligence of the hardware spec, and not have to go through too much hassle or trouble in order to execute moves."
oh.
You're not very good at making this seem like a good idea, mr Tabata.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

So something awesome will happen every time I press a button? Sounds like a great idea!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FFXV: Think like a Calculator, Fight like a Berserker Edition

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With combat seemingly being entirely context sensitive, I don't see how fights will be that difficult or engaging. I assume that there'll be something similar to gambits or the paradigm system but from the info we've got it makes it seem like combat boils down to 'press the attack button and sometimes defend'. Even FF13 allowed you to choose your actions if you really wanted to, or if the AI was poor.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah I'm uh... losing a lot of steam since the director swap...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seems like a business decision, with the constant talk about needing to cater to casual gamers for the Japanese to want to play. If this was still called Versus13, I would be disappointed in the simplified combat but mainline games being able to be played by grandpas make sense.

Sad, but makes sense.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You know Curtain Call made me realize that FF9 had even MORE references than I thought to the early games. Even the structure of the battle song starts the same way the battle songs all did on the 2D games. The last battle music is really similar to the FF3 last battle music and even the concept of the bosses are similar a bit.

Also I think I posted this in the 3DS thread, but the game has a special Medley that combines footage and music from every mainline game. I played it for the first time right before getting 20K rhythmia, which unlocks the Chaos battle and then the credits roll. The combination of hearing all those songs combined, seeing the footage quickly go over this series I've been playing for 20 years then seeing the cute credits roll by where there are like, 200 different FF characters onscreen at the same time... it made me realize even if I don't necessarily love the direction FF has taken these days, this series will always be one of my favorites.

I think Curtain Call is basically Final Fantasy Propaganda

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Hey theatrhythm nerds, does anyone have a map with black crystals as the reward??

We can battle each other and then I can get sweet crystals, thanks:

FC: 4897 5956 4819

My map has 3 black crystals and 1 gold at level 50, but I can't get on for maybe 4-5 hours. What do you have?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I mean, that looks cool, but I could never memorize that many combos. Games are just too hard these days.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Martman posted:

I mean, that looks cool, but I could never memorize that many combos. Games are just too hard these days.

Needing to press two buttons is for nerds, three buttons and you've gone full grognard. Nobody wants to go full grognard.

Anyway, time will tell what'll come out of this. If it actually is as simple as it sounds, I have a hard time imagining it's going to be well-received. But I don't like knee-jerk reactions so we'll see how it goes.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The combination of hearing all those songs combined, seeing the footage quickly go over this series I've been playing for 20 years then seeing the cute credits roll by where there are like, 200 different FF characters onscreen at the same time... it made me realize even if I don't necessarily love the direction FF has taken these days, this series will always be one of my favorites.

Seeing Ozma roll around all over the place with FF III's (I think?) Cid riding top of it was pretty great.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is of course quite possible to create depth without focusing on the actual button inputs to do what you want to do. Half the battle is decided in the preparations, which is where I think the focus might have shifted: how to approach fights (which enemy do I attack first), equipment, spells and abilities, the AI of your party... removing the timing and muscle memory required from normal ARPGs. It might work. It might also not. But really I'm going to buy this game no matter what so I guess speculating about it doesn't really matter??

We'll know sometime in March*

*or later.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Terper posted:

I know a lot of people said this about 12 and 13, but 15 does really seem like it'll play itself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They could mix up combat by being more about position, since they talk up the function of performing special attacks when you're nearby your buddies (The latest trailer had Noctis and Glasses guy trade somersaults, as an example). I'm also interested in that teleportation is a battle technique, and there are special commands against certain enemies if previous recent trailers are accurate.

What am I saying is a game can be one-button and still be satisfying if there's enough gimmicks.

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013
Kingdom Hearts: Watchowski Edition confirmed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Divekick had 2 buttons and it was the best game of 2013. If FFXV has one button it will be half as good as Divekick, which is still pretty good.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

Exactly. It's actually a painting.

Anatomy and perspective are optional in the worship of Her Holiness, The Saviour.
In nomine Matris, et Toriyama, et Camelopardalis Collum, Amen.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Curtain Call is pretty good and all but where's the PlayOnline viewer music? 2/10

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It sucks because I like what he said about exploration and camping out and and getting tired and poo poo. But what he's said about combat sounds loving terrible. It's like, we can't win, can we?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Attitude Indicator posted:

I know a lot of people said this about 12 and 13, but 15 does really seem like it'll play itself.

People always think the current FF is the worst thing in existence until a newer mainline FF is released. See: X, XII, XIII... maybe XV?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

You know what we haven't had enough of yet, that's right, Tabata talking about FFXV stuff, this time an interview with Eurogamer where
oh.

Oh good, that's exactly what this industry needed. Another game designer who thinks gameplay is just a tedious distraction.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Maybe they're thinking of using one button for combat for future iOS ports guys.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

oh.

There actually is a petition because of this interview, requesting that they change the gameplay back to what was shown in 2013. And I signed it because I'm a giant sperg.

But seriously, the idea that the weapons will switch themselves based on context is REALLY BAD. If you were playing Dragon's Dogma and then your game decided that you simply had to start attacking an enemy with a certain weapon, you'd get mad as hell. An even better example would be the game switching weapons for you in DMC or Bayonetta. They're not the exact same genre, but wrestling control away from the player is an incredibly idiotic idea, and I hope that all of this poo poo they're showing is a separate "Easy Automatic" mode or something. Or that the worries of the fans will make it so.

I mean, what set of conditions could possibly differentiate between using a dagger, using a sword and using a greatsword when all of them are "attack enemies near you"? What if you want to use a greatsword against a single target because it's your best weapon right now? Or what if you want to use a dagger against a crowd for fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah uh can we get nomura back please