Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

Cockney Alfred? Sure.

But yea, the show looks amazing.

Errr... MICHAEL CAINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bum the Sad posted:

My name is Nigma and I tell riddles! What subtle foreshadowing!

To be fair that's literally what he is in the comics. I mean the smart solution is to just not put a lovely character like The Riddler in at all, but if you're gonna, yea he's gonna be fuckin stupid.

Still I'm on the fence, on one hand this show seems to be trying REALLY HARD and good for that, there's really clever ideas like that 'we have a bunch of background people planned who maybe could become the joker who knows' and the general concept of it taking place in a broad, vague 'the past' to allow character interactions we wouldn't normally see, but wow the writing is horrible. Like, I'm a comic nerd and even I'm going 'no, people don't talk like this'. I'm looking forward to Lil Catwoman looking at Bruce and smirking before saying 'I guess you can say I'm a little catty' or some poo poo.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's... okay, if you can get past the groan-worthy villain introductions, clunky dialogue, and terrible bisexual love triangle subplots.

I definitely think the prequel aspect will prove to be this show's undoing. And to think they could have just done a Gotham Central adaptation.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh man, catwoman is actually feeding cats. :3:

catwoman being creepy was hands down the best part of the episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Barry Convex posted:

It's... okay, if you can get past the groan-worthy villain introductions, clunky dialogue, and terrible bisexual love triangle subplots.

I definitely think the prequel aspect will prove to be this show's undoing. And to think they could have just done a Gotham Central adaptation.

Yea I really, really, hope this show focuses on the cops through the plotline. I can deal with corny 'WE GOTTA SET EVERYTHING UP' prequel syndrome if it means I get an actually well done, good production values, show that's just fuckin cops in a city full of lunatics who think putting a green suit on and putting a bomb in a clock tower makes them crime bosses. The series of comics that was just like, following the GCPD around in Batman's wake and poo poo was the best, I want more of that. Gordon is good, he had the least groany lines of the cast, give me more of him and his cop buddies dealing with this totally retarded city, and the occasional look at Bruce and all.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Yeah they really have to tone down the winks to the audience, but apart from that I enjoyed it enough for a pilot. My personal gripe is still the prequel concept. I'd like to see them jump forward 4-5 years each season and actually have Batman working with Gordon in the later seasons rather than presumably ending with Bruce donning the cape and cowl at the end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This show is beautiful but goddamn someone has to do something about the dialogue. I hope it was just pilot-itis because the style of this show is great and I'd hate for it to be taken down by horrible dialogue.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
At least they didn't name the kid character Bruce Batman.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Deadpool posted:

This show is beautiful but goddamn someone has to do something about the dialogue. I hope it was just pilot-itis because the style of this show is great and I'd hate for it to be taken down by horrible dialogue.

My name is James Gordon, GCPD. I don't know, I think the writing was really pretty hack. Jim looking Bullock in the eye and reciting his casting sheet for the character was just lazy. Nice to meet you, I'm James Gordon. And the villain cameos? Blah. Unless whoever wrote the pilot got doored, I don't picture the dialogue improving. I'm James Gordon, I'm a Police Officer.

Edit: here is my badge, in case you don't remember me. Can I have that back, now?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I would have preferred a Gotham Central T.V. show as well, but it is what it is. I imagine "We'll do a show in the batman universe, but never show batman or Bruce Wayne at all" is not a very sexy pitch. DC probably only went for it because they already had 5 batman books, or whatever.

Yannick_B posted:

This felt like the only interesting (and sort of new) idea in the story. By being morally-upstanding, Gordon might just push Gotham farther in the direction it needs to have a Batman.

That is going to be one of the problems of the show though. We know Gordon ends up as commissioner, so threats to his life aren't going to mean much. We know that Gotham is an utterly corrupt cesspool when Batman shows up, so he can't clean up the police department in any meaningful way.

I do really like the time jump idea though, and it's something that's rarely done in T.V. 2-3 seasons of Gordon working on the Wayne murders before solving them in the finale of that arc while maybe taking down Fish Mooney or some other crime figure. Bruce makes his final arrangements to begin training like hell after foreshadowing it like hell in creepy, sociopathic ways.

Skip to 4 or 5 years later for the next 2-3 seasons. Penguin's got a decent criminal operation going, Ivy's plants are bigger or whatever, Gordon's gotten a promotion but still partnered with Logue, and Bruce is shown training. With all the crazy techniques Batman has, you could send him to a new master every few episodes and be fine.

Then the final season is Batman arriving, Gordon becoming commissioner with batman's help, a wink and a nod that Gordon knows batman's identity and batman knows he knows, and they team up to take out joker for the first time in the series finale.

Of course, instead I expect we'll just get Gordon trying to clean up the police force for the entire series, then it ends with him promoted to commissioner and Batman shown gliding into the city. All I can reasonably hope for is that they space out the time jumps over the course of the show, rather than doing one sudden one at the end.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Unless whoever wrote the pilot got doored, I don't picture the dialogue improving.
It's not in the same league, but if you ever watch the Mad Men pilot there are a bunch of terrible "hah it's the 1960s, not the 2000s" lines in it that they scrapped for later episodes.

Hamfisted pilot / early episode dialog isn't that uncommon, and it's not that hard to fix.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I like how the murder of the Waynes is way more bloody than in any of the movies because Fox 8pm television.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
The dialogue is abysmal but I'll probably watch at least the first season. I'm gay for Batman, I can't help it.

It bothers me that some of the super-villains are already adults but on the other hand it's actually kind of funny. It seems like Batman is going to be spending a lot of time beating up senior citizens in the future.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Woof. What an atrocious pilot.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Ivy loving Pepper.

gently caress everything else, I better get some preteen Gotham City Sirens hijinks. Honestly, just get rid of every adult character and have it be about Bruce and the Sirens solving mysteries. I'd watch that.

MantisToboggan posted:

It seems like Batman is going to be spending a lot of time beating up senior citizens in the future.

Speaking of which, is Professor Crane expected to make an appearance?

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
Jim Gordon's Batman Babies

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Stunning looking, absolutely horrifically written. Hopefully they take the writing duties away from the janitorial staff because it'd be a shame to see this kind of art direction wasted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was pretty bad but in an oddly endearing way, but good lord the heavy-handed foreshadowing of all those future villains they squashed in there was pretty hilarious. Worst part of the show was probably this:

While the best part of the episode was a tie between motherfucking Rawls showing up as Falcone, and THIS:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rawls as Falcone is such good casting :allears:

Calling it now, the biggest complaint goons will have about this show is 'Just get to Batman already'. The show's not going to do Batman, accept it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So long as they don't keep adding villains every week, I'm down. DC Multiverse what if, who gives a gently caress

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

Calling it now, the biggest complaint goons will have about this show is 'Just get to Batman already'. The show's not going to do Batman, accept it.

Pretty sure everyone with a brain has accepted it. The biggest problem is the dialogue so far and that seems to be what most people have thought was terrible. And rightly so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The editing on that chase scene was really bad too, especially because that huge dude was apparently incredibly agile and quick on his feet and young, healthy war hero Jim Gordon couldn't keep up with him.

But yeah, Rawls as Falcone :swoon:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rarity posted:

That is in no way the problem with this show.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Rarity posted:

I'd be fine with them removing both Bruce and Selina because I fear that we will get some teenage romance/early Batman poo poo that will be unbearable. Her being creepy stalkerish around Bruce is not a good sign for things to come.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I would have loved to see Bruce killed off with his parents and seen what they do with these characters (freeing it up from being an extended Batman Begins).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The pilot was pretty bad, but then again the Arrow pilot wasn't great, but over time the writers figured out what works and the show turned out to be pretty awesome. Let's not forget about the the Spartacus pilot, which was probably the worst hour of television I've ever seen prior to Under the Dome, and that show turned out to be amazing as well. Gotham is salvageable, and I'll stick around until the bitter end.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I also had a problem with "We shot an innocent man".

The guy attacked the cops during while being questioned, instantly started shooting at the one who started chasing him and then tried to stab that same guy.

Innocent of the Wayne murders or not, even in that corrupt rear end city, it would still have been a justified shooting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The only thing I don't like about this so far is Sean Pertwee as Alfred (though he's not as bad as Michael Caine), but Alfred should have a RP accent.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I thought 'ol Poison Ivy's name was Pam, not Ivy?? Was it not obvious enough??

Although I suppose they're going to have to change the character's backstory, so it might as well be a new character entirely.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tiggum posted:

The only thing I don't like about this so far is Sean Pertwee as Alfred (though he's not as bad as Michael Caine), but Alfred should have a RP accent.

Why? What is one good reason for this that isn't "that's how BTAS did it."

I think it works, since Alfred is not supposed to be a vanilla English butler.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

Why? What is one good reason for this that isn't "that's how BTAS did it."

He's a butler/valet. I've never watched BTAS.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AFewBricksShy posted:

I also had a problem with "We shot an innocent man".

The guy attacked the cops during while being questioned, instantly started shooting at the one who started chasing him and then tried to stab that same guy.

Innocent of the Wayne murders or not, even in that corrupt rear end city, it would still have been a justified shooting.

The shooting was justified, but the sequence of events that lead to the shooting was all on the cops. And if they have the death penalty in Gotham, framing him would be the same as killing him.

I don't like the idea that the deaths of Thomas and Martha was part of some grand, over-arching conspiracy that not even the mob boss of Gotham knows about. Random street crime that goes unsolved is to my mind a more powerful motivation for young master Bruce.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tiggum posted:

Received Pronunciation is the accent of private boarding school educated aristocrats. Why would a servant have such an accent? having a working class accent is far more appropriate.

I liked Bruce and Alfred - Honestly I'd prefer a show focused on them. That kid does creepy potential psychopath very well.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 23, 2014

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

gannyGrabber posted:

I thought 'ol Poison Ivy's name was Pam, not Ivy?? Was it not obvious enough??

Although I suppose they're going to have to change the character's backstory, so it might as well be a new character entirely.

Yeah, it's really more a backstory to the backstory, considering the length of time it would take for Pamela's canonical backstory to initiate.

howe_sam posted:

I don't like the idea that the deaths of Thomas and Martha was part of some grand, over-arching conspiracy that not even the mob boss of Gotham knows about. Random street crime that goes unsolved is to my mind a more powerful motivation for young master Bruce.

I thought that Falcone in the end pretty much confirmed that it was a random street killing, and all the conspiracy stuff was a red herring.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Alfred is a badass, step off man

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

howe_sam posted:

The shooting was justified, but the sequence of events that lead to the shooting was all on the cops. And if they have the death penalty in Gotham, framing him would be the same as killing him.

I'd disagree. Nothing regarding the frame up, with the exception of planting the necklace which the guy didn't even know about yet, had been brought out yet. They just had a tip that the guy had a necklace, told him they were going to search the place, and then the guy throws a table at them and starts shooting at them.

If they had made it where they found the necklace already then the guy flips out, it may have been a bit more justified for the guy to react the way he did.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Received Pronunciation is the accent of private boarding school educated aristocrats. Why would a servant have such an accent? having a working class accent is far more appropriate.
Because of Jeeves, basically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mira posted:

Yeah, it's really more a backstory to the backstory, considering the length of time it would take for Pamela's canonical backstory to initiate.

I thought that Falcone in the end pretty much confirmed that it was a random street killing, and all the conspiracy stuff was a red herring.

Yea the end was totally 'yea it was a random crime, gently caress you though', the conspiracy stuff was just the cops being led around on a wild goose chase.

Also agreeing that Alfred having an RP accent, while well done in the animated show, fits way less than him sounding like a working class dude. I liked Caine, I like this guy, I like an 'approachable' Alfred, this guy sounds and acts like a guy who would make a good surrogate father figure for a kid like Bruce because he's kinda just a dude who happens to be the Wayne family servant rather than THE ANCIENT AND NOBLE SCION OF THE WAY OF BUTLER. If we must have a batman prequel that will probably go the smallville route and never have Bruce put the cowl on until the last episode, we better get a good deal of Bruce and Alfred broing out because that dynamic is one of the few on the show that 100% worked, Bruce is a great little future sociopath, Alfred is a great butler who desperately wants to help, I wanna see them interact way more than I wanna see a cop sneer and say 'spare me your riddles, Nigma' before the camera zooms in on the Riddler and the producers basically jump in front of the lens and shout "GET IT?!"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the end was totally 'yea it was a random crime, gently caress you though', the conspiracy stuff was just the cops being led around on a wild goose chase.

There's got to be more to the killing though, with the $6 bullet and shiny shoes that the killer wore. There's no way that this is the last we're going to see of that investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
I...really enjoyed the pilot, or rather the potential that I saw there. The dialogue was terrible in a lot of places, but I'm more willing to blame that on its over-stylized nature that fits with the way the episode was shot. Given time I think they can definitely work out those particular kinks. The Riddler is also one of my favorite villains so I had a soft-spot for his introduction.

Already you can tell that the show is trying to set itself apart through its atmosphere, which overall is what worked for me. Though I can already tell I'm going to watch this show less for Gordon and more for everybody else.

The only thing I really disliked was catgirl...protocatwoman...whatever the gently caress. She felt largely unnecessary and, as others pointed out, creepy.

• Locked thread