Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

When I was in high or middle school the principal pulled that sort of test on the entire class and I was that smart student. Ironically, I completed the test and then read the last question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Zhiwau posted:

How the hell can you give 25% of grade based on a display od functional literacy? Don't you have a curriculum and/or supervision?

I was required by the school district to have a mid-term that was worth 25% of the grade. The school district was a rural district with a total school population of a little over 600 students in grades K-12. It was also in the worst performing county in the state of Ohio according to proficiency exams (although the school was the best performing in the county, which was apparently good enough for them, and it kept the state out of their hair). The curriculum requirements hadn't been updated since the 1950's, "cuz it was good enough then, so it's good enough now."

I was actually the first teacher to actually integrate technology with classroom instruction, and added optional technical assignments for the few students who had computers (this was in 2000). The middle school/high school only had 6 computers for the entire student body to use, and were about 10 years old.

Having said that, my students were all doing very well and we were ahead of the curriculum requirements. Most of my students had done very well on the Social Studies portion of the proficiency exam, so I had some leeway on how to test the students. My mentor actually thought it was quite hysterical and couldn't stop laughing when I told him about it.

I left at the end of the year for a number of reasons, and a few years later I was in IT, and here I've been happy to stay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, I'm surprised you didn't have parents calling in to complain that other students were able to do other assignments and raise their grades simply because they had a computer. In 8th grade we had to do some sort of pressed leaf poster for biology and the teacher wasn't allowed to give five points extra credit for laminating it because some kid's dumb mom called to complain about paying for grades.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Don't post your actual email address but what is it that makes everyone think it is theirs?

I am firstinitiallastname@gmail.com, with a very common last name, and I get shitloads of misdirected email from churches/prep schools/banks/law firms/etc. My own brother managed to accidentally use my email address when he signed up for phone service with a new company (his first name starts with he same letter as mine.)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, I'm surprised you didn't have parents calling in to complain that other students were able to do other assignments and raise their grades simply because they had a computer. In 8th grade we had to do some sort of pressed leaf poster for biology and the teacher wasn't allowed to give five points extra credit for laminating it because some kid's dumb mom called to complain about paying for grades.

I had a few parents calling and complaining about EVERYTHING - too many notes, not enough time spent on the material, too many quizzes, not enough extra credit, too much reading, too many projects, not enough time spent reviewing, etc etc, but never once did they call to complain about the ancient technology infrastructure (probably because they were the same parents who voted for the district to use their entire technology budget to buy an adjoining piece of land so that a developer couldn't buy it). The thing is, I gave students multiple options of how they wanted to complete assignments because I tied everything into projects. I had students turn in baked goods after demonstrating how they were made and explaining why the culture and climate affected what foods they ate and prepared. I had techy students create websites with animation and multimedia clips. I had other students who made scrapbooks, did re-enactments, wrote papers, or turned in book reports. My students actually loved it, and one parent actually came to me and said that his twin daughters actually enjoyed Social Studies and History for the first time in school.

Yes I put a lot of responsibility on the kids, but this was also a college prep class - the kids enjoyed that I wasn't watering the material down and treating them like they couldn't be trusted to blow their nose. Some parents absolutely hated me (there were a couple death threats), but the vast majority were either quiet or actively supported my efforts. Unfortunately, the administration wasn't very supportive and ultimately led to my decision to leave. I still miss teaching at times, but the state of education now seems to indicate I made the right move to leave when I did.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Parents and administrators: the two main reasons being a teacher sucks.

(that and being paid like crap for tons of work but that's the case with way too many jobs)

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Brut posted:

That was like, the day gmail launched or some poo poo(assuming that's even true, I'm not sure), it didn't and does not actually affect anyone. Right now if your email is officially john.r.smith you can log in as johnrsmith or jo..hn.r.....s.m.i.t....h or whatever. Same goes for people emailing you.
It's absolutely true and affects me a lot. My official address is firstname.lastname@gmail.com. I get mail for at least 3 other people that think they have firstnamelastname@gmail.com.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I had a few parents calling and complaining about EVERYTHING - too many notes, not enough time spent on the material, too many quizzes, not enough extra credit, too much reading, too many projects, not enough time spent reviewing, etc etc, but never once did they call to complain about the ancient technology infrastructure (probably because they were the same parents who voted for the district to use their entire technology budget to buy an adjoining piece of land so that a developer couldn't buy it). The thing is, I gave students multiple options of how they wanted to complete assignments because I tied everything into projects. I had students turn in baked goods after demonstrating how they were made and explaining why the culture and climate affected what foods they ate and prepared. I had techy students create websites with animation and multimedia clips. I had other students who made scrapbooks, did re-enactments, wrote papers, or turned in book reports. My students actually loved it, and one parent actually came to me and said that his twin daughters actually enjoyed Social Studies and History for the first time in school.

Yes I put a lot of responsibility on the kids, but this was also a college prep class - the kids enjoyed that I wasn't watering the material down and treating them like they couldn't be trusted to blow their nose. Some parents absolutely hated me (there were a couple death threats), but the vast majority were either quiet or actively supported my efforts. Unfortunately, the administration wasn't very supportive and ultimately led to my decision to leave. I still miss teaching at times, but the state of education now seems to indicate I made the right move to leave when I did.

God, I would've loved you as a teacher. (In a strictly platonic way.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That reminds me of a prof I had in university who would add questions like "Which of the following is a possible medium for the implementation of TCP/IP? a) Carrier Pigeon b) Ethernet c) Smoke signal d) all of the above" and people would get mad when they got it wrong by choosing B.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I am firstinitiallastname@gmail.com, with a very common last name, and I get shitloads of misdirected email from churches/prep schools/banks/law firms/etc. My own brother managed to accidentally use my email address when he signed up for phone service with a new company (his first name starts with he same letter as mine.)

I have a friend who because someone registered <firstname><lastname>@gmail.com he instead registered <lastname><firstname>@gmail.com. The person at the first email always is mad that they got the email intended for my friend.

Also speaking of Reply All spam... a ticket came in. One of our foreign centers is having a tool issue, so the tool team - for some reason - included all of the front line support agents in the chain. I clicked Ignore immediately after the first "Remove me" email started, and of course my Deleted Items started building.

My favorite so far is

quote:

I’m entertained with this. Please keep me on the list.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

RadicalR posted:

God, I would've loved you as a teacher. (In a strictly platonic way.)

This is you isn't it?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Entropic posted:

That reminds me of a prof I had in university who would add questions like "Which of the following is a possible medium for the implementation of TCP/IP? a) Carrier Pigeon b) Ethernet c) Smoke signal d) all of the above" and people would get mad when they got it wrong by choosing B.

Excellent. Ignorance of RFC 1149 deserves punishment.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You remind me a LOT of both my History and English teachers from junior year in high school. English teacher was awesome and would have all sorts of fun little projects that went with material, including extra credit for Beowulf where one of the options was drawing/sketching out how you think a character would look. I made this boss Grendel lizard-man character and the teacher loved it so much he hung it on the wall behind his desk. He did another one for when we read Canterbury Tales, and one of the tales was "unfinished" (I think it was the Cook's Tale?) so the extra credit was to finish the tale, had to be in the same rhyming style and at least 4 pages. I ended up spending like 3 days on it, wrote something like 9 pages and only missed a point for punctuation on one page. Teacher still has that one that I know of and it was cool to see him light up after he read it :)

Anyhow, point is that when a teacher is given a little leeway in how they can handle their assignments, it can be pretty drat fun and a LOT less boring and repetitive. Those kind of teachers end up being the ones that still keep in touch outside of school even after graduation and will often times help outside school hours when they see you're putting a lot of effort in and WANT to succeed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Fix It posted:

Excellent. Ignorance of RFC 1149 deserves punishment.

What's interesting is that it could actually be a reasonable protocol in Canada or other areas where you have expensive bandwidth caps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's interesting is that it could actually be a reasonable protocol in Canada or other areas where you have expensive bandwidth caps.

Just attach a 128GB flash drive to a bird. How long does it take a bird to fly somewhere, a few hours? I can't download that much data that fast.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Andrew S. Tanenbaum posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Speaking of Canada, a few years back when the CRTC was being as lovely as usual and Rogers (I think) was implementing some pretty strict download caps on their users, a flyer/infographic went around that compared ISP data rates vs Canada Post + hard drives.

Obviously mailing won by a large margin, and of course it was biased, but it was a neat picture.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

When I taught 10th grade World History and 11th grade American History I made up a mid-term exam that was worth 25% of the students' grade that had 500 questions (actually 50 questions repeated 10 times with answers that made absolutely no sense). I told the students to carefully read the instructions before starting the exam, casually mentioned there were 500 questions, and smiled evilly at the panicked expressions. 15 minutes of strained silence passed before the first student read the instructions, which was evident by the "sonnuvabitch!" snarl. The instructions were convoluted, obscure and full of platitudes, but boiled down to telling the students to write their name, date, class information, and initial each page in the bottom right corner. For extra credit they could stand and cry out "Go Irish!".

One of the smartest students in the class was on the verge of a nervous break-down because she thought she'd completely blown the test because she didn't recognize any of the answers to the questions. A couple minutes after everyone was done someone finally whispered for her to read the instructions. She cried in relief at the end and was the only one to say "Go Irish". Then she flipped me off.

I gave her double extra credit for it.
I kind of feel like she would have learned more if she had failed. I've been "pretty smart" in school but all the real important and cool poo poo is the stuff I learned that exist beyond what the instructions say; all that inbetween the lines stuff that you can't learn from a book.

Also, why did you give her double extra credit? You reinforced the wrong behavior!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Speaking of Canada, a few years back when the CRTC was being as lovely as usual and Rogers (I think) was implementing some pretty strict download caps on their users, a flyer/infographic went around that compared ISP data rates vs Canada Post + hard drives.

Obviously mailing won by a large margin, and of course it was biased, but it was a neat picture.

I think you mean this one?

Also, this didnt take long:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137568-Wave-Hoax-Tells-iPhone-Users-to-Microwave-Their-Phones

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 22, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Just attach a 128GB flash drive to a bird. How long does it take a bird to fly somewhere, a few hours? I can't download that much data that fast.

SanDisk is introducing a 512gb SD card. A pigeon should be able to haul one of those pretty easy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Galler posted:

SanDisk is introducing a 512gb SD card. A pigeon should be able to haul one of those pretty easy.

If it's more lightweight than, say, half a coconut, you're probably fine. If it's heavier than that, then you can probably get away with using two of them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Depends on if it's an African or European pigeon.

Sorry.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

blackswordca posted:

I think you mean this one?

It was very similar to that one. Though the one I remember was a bit more colourful.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

I don't like the comic, but XKCD's What Ifs are usually fun, and this one is relevant!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

I don't like the comic, but XKCD's What Ifs are usually fun, and this one is relevant!

There is probably something to be said for the difference in going through all those SD cards, plugging them in, finding the right one etc and comparing it against 'save to c:\' if you are just downloading something

I don't think that would make the internet quicker but I wonder how much more comparable it becomes if you really thought it through

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

deimos posted:

Lots of older people put their birthyear at the end of their usernames/emails.

Until I realized this I would often do a double-take for people who had "88" at the end.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Deuce posted:

Until I realized this I would often do a double-take for people who had "88" at the end.

What is fun is explaining to people what the 88 means, then the follow up question of why you know that.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Deuce posted:

CitizenKain posted:

What is fun is explaining to people what the 88 means, then the follow up question of why you know that.

Yep. Gotten in trouble for that surprisingly infrequently, actually. Only had one email discussion with a guy who asked why I had 88 in my name and if I knew what it meant.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
A ticket came in. It was urgent: printer is in a state of error. Shortly after a call also came in. The thing about the printer was extremely urgent.

As it turns out, the printer was turned off. The ticket was issued by a manager. They are supposed to be semi-computer literate.

On a related note, gently caress printers in general. gently caress transfer units, fusers, toners, rollers, on board cards and of course 400MB driver packages in particular. I loving hate printers. A coworker came in and vented (because it's my fault apparently) that she is going to throw one of the printers out of the window. I offered to help her because it's quite heavy. She wasn't amused unfortunately.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Printers can be hell, but sometimes users aren't too bad.

A call came in, "hey that printer ticket my colleague opened earlier? Just close it again, we fixed it." :unsmith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zhiwau posted:

On a related note, gently caress printers in general. gently caress transfer units, fusers, toners, rollers, on board cards and of course 400MB driver packages in particular.
gently caress HP fusers in particular, when they cost $200 and randomly stop working for no apparent reason. Also they're counted as consumables and not covered by the extended warranty. gently caress HP.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

nielsm posted:

Printers can be hell, but sometimes users aren't too bad.

A call came in, "hey that printer ticket my colleague opened earlier? Just close it again, we fixed it by buying a $70 HP inkjet." :unsmith:
Lets be real.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
gently caress printers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lease your printers.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
LeaseKill your printers.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Lease Kill gently caress your printers.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

gently caress HP fusers in particular, when they cost $200 and randomly stop working for no apparent reason. Also they're counted as consumables and not covered by the extended warranty. gently caress HP.

Oh yes, gently caress HP. But also Kyocera.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Lease your printers.
This is really the answer, but it requires a bit of shopping around to find a good supplier.. There are a ton of crappy printer suppliers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My local Xerox rep/distributor owns and I can't get my clients to switch to them fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The only attainable goal with printers is to make the printers someone else's problem. All printers suck and that is never changing.

• Locked thread