Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What about Jolt... or was it volt? I just remember it was a red can and had yellow and white lettering and it tasted like Coke. Only it had twice the caffeine of other cola's.

The 90's were a strange time indeed. President Clinton, AOL, and grunge rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

goatse guy posted:

Thinking about Surge makes my teeth hurt. I miss Vault though.

I miss Vault commercials, they were usually funny.

Pretty much all green soda is nasty to me though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When I was in high school they had Jolt Espresso one day, and I had it, and then a few weeks later they banned it from the country. It was pretty good, ignoring the constant heartburn that followed me around for a week.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Propaganda Bob posted:

I believe the word so far is that it's thoroughly mediocre. Kind of a shame.

I'm loving the hell out of it, personally. Combat is good, shotguns and grenades are particularly satisfying to use. Non-combat solutions to quests are plentiful and varied. Pop-culture references are relatively rare, spaced out well enough and not very in-your-face, unlike some of the stuff in the Fallout sequels.

No power armor yet, though, but I'm sure it'll pop up :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 22, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What about Jolt... or was it volt?

You had it right, Jolt cola "All the sugar and twice the caffeine." It came out in the 80's, that's the only reason I'm sure that the word "XXXXXTREEEEEME!!!!!!!" wasn't involved.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats it. God that stuff made my heart skip a beat. I just stick with coffee and strait pepsi. The one thing I need to kick in life..... Oh well, I figure it could be worse by pumping my body full of worse things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

It actually opens it really fast, but it may or may not go full downs mode and forget how to focus, especially if the flash is used. Everything is always a bit blurry and I don't really care, rust carpenter ants and rotten wood look about the same no matter what.

Occasionally snapchat gets klepto and I have to open and close snapchat to give the camera back to the camera app, which is always nice. Why can't software developers learn to code properly?

I just got rid of my droid3 and it made me so much happier.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have low expectations for how 'good' surge will taste. It's purely for nostalgic reasons I would get some. Jolt was bitching and drinking it had a total placebo effect on making you feel like a badass.

These days soft drinks are limited to the occasional hecho en Mexico coca cola and bundaberg soft drinks (ginger beer, peachee, lemon lime and bitters).

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My best friend and I from elementary school and middle school used to drink surge and eat ranch corn nuts after school on the walk to his house, where we would play tomb raider and thief demos!

I'm trying to buy a case to send him one and some corn nuts!!!

Memories :allears:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mafoose posted:

My best friend and I from elementary school and middle school used to drink surge and eat ranch corn nuts after school on the walk to his house, where we would play tomb raider and thief demos!

I'm trying to buy a case to send him one and some corn nuts!!!

Memories :allears:

I still buy Ranch Corn Nuts sometimes when I'm hungover.

My friend and I would cover a flour tortilla in butter, sugar and cinnamon, then toast it in the oven and eat it rolled up like some kind of churro. Then we'd play Rogue Spear or Tony Hawk while jacked on sugar. We actually made some again not too long ago (while drunk) for nostalgia's sake, and they were even more loving delicious than I remembered.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I still buy Ranch Corn Nuts sometimes when I'm hungover.

My friend and I would cover a flour tortilla in butter, sugar and cinnamon, then toast it in the oven and eat it rolled up like some kind of churro. Then we'd play Rogue Spear or Tony Hawk while jacked on sugar. We actually made some again not too long ago (while drunk) for nostalgia's sake, and they were even more loving delicious than I remembered.

taco time sells these, only instead of butter/baking, they're fried.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren::siren: Attention Idiots Valued AI Posters! :siren::siren:

The Second AI Sheep Game is now underway!

Follow the link to this thread and the instructions inside to submit your answers. In the first Sheep Game I ran back in August, we had over 40 participants, and some great answers all-around. Hope to see you all in there!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I came across this picture today. It's my uncle in 1954 sitting in the car he bought while underage after lying to a bank in order to convince them to loan him $16,500 to buy it. He then dropped out of Yale and spent a time in hiding from his father and racing the car.

My grandfather eventually tracked him down though. Having found my uncle and discovering this purchase, and the subsequent loan, refused to pay for the car, and being that my uncle was not old enough to sign a contract, the bank could not collect.

Unfortunately my uncle has since passed away and I do not know what happened to the car. He was considerably older than my father, roughly 15 years, and was a notorious playboy.

Anyway, try to guess the car. It took me a bit but I'm pretty sure I've got it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 23, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy crap your uncle was AI as gently caress, thanks for sharing.

I suck at old race car IDing and will leave that to the pros.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

trouser chili posted:

I came across this picture today. It's my uncle in 1954 sitting in the car he bought while underage after lying to a bank in order to convince them to loan him $16,500 to buy it. He then dropped out of Yale and spent a time in hiding from his father and racing the car.

$16,500 in 1954 is $145,000 today. Your Uncle must have been a master con artist.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

trouser chili posted:

Unfortunately my uncle has since passed away and I do not know what happened to the car. He was considerably older than my father, roughly 15 years, and was a notorious playboy.

I'm guessing an Alfa 6C of some sort. The bodywork is probably somewhat custom so it'll be hard I think to guess it. Also maybe a Ferrari?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

zundfolge posted:

I love my 35 1.8 DX on my D5100, but the 18-55 kit zoom is really good too and with good technique it can look nearly as sharp.

:tinfoil: That's exactly my setup, though I sold the kit lens pretty quickly. I only have the 35 these days.

I'd say the combo takes decent photos.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Are Nikons uncommon in the US?

I've always shot Nikon since I moved to DSLRs (about 7 years ago). Most of my friends shoot with Nikon as well.

It's mostly personal preference though. The only thing that bugs me about Nikon is they've dropped the focus motor from the bodies on their lower end stuff, forcing you to purchase a more expensive version of lenses with a built-in motor (AF-S instead of AF). I think Canon has always had the motor in the lens?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What about Jolt... or was it volt? I just remember it was a red can and had yellow and white lettering and it tasted like Coke. Only it had twice the caffeine of other cola's.

The Cici's Pizza by my high school had Jolt on the fountain - unlimited refills. :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

some texas redneck posted:

The Cici's Pizza by my high school had Jolt on the fountain - unlimited refills. :haw:

That explains so, so much about you.

That said, I want a DSLR. But I don't even have the patience to take a picture with my phone, so gently caress if I'm gonna lug one of those around.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, it's a lot easier to use the phone for everyday photos. If I want decent photo quality I break out the DSLR (which is pretty much always with me), but most stuff doesn't require more than a potato camera.

So I just opened the USAA app on my phone, and got a :tinfoil: warning in it.

I'm guessing that's from the Home Depot hack - the only remotely questionable site I've used it on has been optical4less (about a week ago), though lots of goons have ordered from them (used a different card, whoops). Which means I probably need to replace my debit card from my credit union as well. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 23, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm guessing an Alfa 6C of some sort. The bodywork is probably somewhat custom so it'll be hard I think to guess it. Also maybe a Ferrari?
It's right hand drive, so won't be an Alfa. Going to be British, like an Aston Martin or Jaguar. However I can not find any Jags or A-Ms of that area that looks like that car. The front drum brakes tells me it probably isn't a Jag, as they jumped on the disc brakes wagon soon after World War 2.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What the hell happened to the usernames and fonts? My stupid username now takes up 2 lines. :smith:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 205 days!)

What the hell happened to the usernames and fonts? My stupid username now takes up 2 lines. :smith:

Yeah. gently caress you too. Also, got a HUGE SUBTEXT NOW. THANKS, MOTRONIC RADIUM!

So, I got a handful of older-gen laptops for super cheap. Replacing the old-poo poo HDs with slightly larger ones, and they're already maxed out at 4G RAMZ.

XP for WIS? Vista 32 for those I hate? What the hell can I do to sell these older, semi-crappy laptops? Only one has bluetooth. :smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throw something like Lubuntu on them, give them to people who can't afford a computer?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

KozmoNaut posted:

Throw something like Lubuntu on them, give them to people who can't afford a computer?

I've already donated every machine I owned from 2006+ through 2012. I have two laptops for myself now (semi-current and XP). I need the XP box to perform former-gm-vehicle stuff. A real serial port is nice, but nothing has one. :(

I bought them to bring my grandparents into this century. Their own electronic abilities ended when LNA sats stopped existing. My folks are still on XP. OK, I lied. One of their every-other-need boxes is still on NT4 :smith:

I'd probably look for a slightly-older KDE3 based distribution. If I wanted an unmaintainable Debian- I'd just install Debian. :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

Yeah. gently caress you too. Also, got a HUGE SUBTEXT NOW. THANKS, MOTRONIC RADIUM!

psst.

I bought that title.

Though Motronic did mention something along those lines during our netsex chat.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

psst.

I bought that title.

Though Motronic did mention something along those lines during our netsex chat.

I kinda miss our formerly-matching titles. Make Motty my bitch if you are drunk enough. :greenangel:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Got to Vancouver, BC today and am here until Sunday or so. My grandparents came out to see family and I came with to drive and plan and stuff because they are a little old for this type of a thing on their own. Going to watch DC play some hockey tomorrow night and drink beer and also ride my bike around when it's not pouring rain. There are a couple of other guys around here, right? I'm in the Richmond/steveston area.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

$16,500 in 1954 is $145,000 today. Your Uncle must have been a master con artist.

Yes, he was. He used those skills for a time working for Anheuser-Busch, in marketing, specifically for the Busch beer division. There he coined the slogan "Head for the mountains" and was instrumental in the creation of the Busch racing league. He then left Anheuser to run a racing team. Anyway, I guess if you can convince people to drink Busch beer then you're also the kind of guy who can convince a bank to loan a 17 year old kid $145,000 to buy a race car. Mind you he was also attending Yale (in his second year) when this happened. He was quite brilliant.

You Am I posted:

It's right hand drive, so won't be an Alfa. Going to be British, like an Aston Martin or Jaguar. However I can not find any Jags or A-Ms of that area that looks like that car. The front drum brakes tells me it probably isn't a Jag, as they jumped on the disc brakes wagon soon after World War 2.

It's definitely British, which makes ID kinda tough since there was so much cottage industry in automobile manufacturing. The car itself is of a small run, I believe around 25 of them where made. The picture alone should have enough information to figure it out.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

trouser chili posted:

My grandfather eventually tracked him down though. Having found my uncle and discovering this purchase, and the subsequent loan, refused to pay for the car, and being that my uncle was not old enough to sign a contract, the bank could not collect.

My guess is a 1954 Ferrari Mondial

e: huge image
ee: actually seeing the 2 pictures together it clearly isn't

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

trouser chili posted:

It's definitely British, which makes ID kinda tough since there was so much cottage industry in automobile manufacturing. The car itself is of a small run, I believe around 25 of them where made. The picture alone should have enough information to figure it out.
I had a look at a couple of photos of a modified Jaguar XKSS, and it almost fits that car, especially the rear wheel arches. However on that modified XKSS only the driver had a windscreen (Right Hand Drive) and the passenger and driver were separated by a bulkhead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks a lot like the car on the Elva Wikipedia article that's tagged as an Elva Mk IIa.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks a lot like the car on the Elva Wikipedia article that's tagged as an Elva Mk IIa.

That's it, it's a very early Elva.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you are on the ball there. The only thing close to that Elva are Lister Cars modified Jaguars from the late 50s, but they had disc brakes. The bodies are very similar however.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Viggen posted:

I've already donated every machine I owned from 2006+ through 2012. I have two laptops for myself now (semi-current and XP). I need the XP box to perform former-gm-vehicle stuff. A real serial port is nice, but nothing has one. :(

I bought them to bring my grandparents into this century. Their own electronic abilities ended when LNA sats stopped existing. My folks are still on XP. OK, I lied. One of their every-other-need boxes is still on NT4 :smith:

I'd probably look for a slightly-older KDE3 based distribution. If I wanted an unmaintainable Debian- I'd just install Debian. :haw:

Donate them to charity, maybe?

Instead of KDE3 on an older distribution, go with Trinity Desktop on a modern distro. I've been meaning to try it out for a while, since KDE3 was pretty much my favorite desktop ever.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I just got back from a drat good vacation. Spent a week at an all-inclusive in the DR. I've never been to that part of the world before, and never done an all-inclusive before. What a blast. The biggest concern I had all week was "what is my alcoholic beverage of choice today?"

From the beach:

Buggy excursion though nasty cow poop roads

Decent sushi

Excellent rum and cigars

G&T whilst doing activities

brother-in-law firing up a Cuban (which he paid a hilarious amount for)

Me and wifelady with no feet

What a good time. We stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro in Punta Cana. It wasn't exactly elegant and it was MASSIVE, but the rooms were great, the drinks were strong, and the food was endless.

Also, it seems my GoPro captures have sharpened twice. I don't feel like redoing them so you get extra-sharp fisheye photos.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

What the hell can I do to sell these older, semi-crappy laptops? Only one has bluetooth. :smith:

You gotta manufacturer/model number?

angryhampster posted:

Buggy excursion though nasty cow poop roads

That looks an awful lot like pasturemaintenance.jpg

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 23, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
More "my uncle is cool" stuff below.

I've been told (by my crazy cousin) that this is my uncle and Henry Ford II presenting the GT40. I'm a bit more interested in that truck though. Anyone have any clues where I could find more info on it, cause it looks cool as gently caress.

This poster is something coveted by my cousin, it's signed by Dan Gurney and addressed to my uncle, "Mercury Monty". I'm not sure if my cousin knows I have this, but he's been hording up all the family assets about his father, especially racing stuff.

This is a pit-crew jacket from the Mercury team, it belonged to my uncle. I'd guess someone would likely pay a lot of money for that jacket.

Close-up of the patch:

The totality of my little shrine. The red shirt on the right is mine from my days driving a tow-truck.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Someone at work must hate me. I came out from a 12 hour shift only to find that someone had ripped my door handle off. This is why I can't have nice things :(

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

trouser chili posted:

More "my uncle is cool" stuff below.

That is just impossibly cool stuff to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat that was a long day. I love traveling but at the same time I really hate traveling. Woke up Monday at 4:30am (EST), didn't get to my hotel until noon today. Was going to be getting in later (and getting $1200 for taking a later flight) but they stuck me back on at the last minute. My luggage is chilling in Atlanta and if I'm lucky will arrive sometime tomorrow.

Got my rental upgraded since they were out of micro cars. Ended up with a Ford C-Max (http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/C-MAX), at least it's a manual. Got pulled over by a couple officers for a random check since I appeared suspicious and was in a rental car. German cops are pretty chill once they figure out you're just completely loving lost.

But now I have a couple beers in me and a massive helping of Indian food so everything is ok. Germany is again pretty cool, trying to decide if I can afford another Ring weekend.

• Locked thread