Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Hencoe posted:

No, in the shooting phase. The shooting phase the D-Marks come in (using that rule on his opponents turn) and then in his shooting phase.

The rule confers the ability to deep strike. If deep strike confers the ability to shoot immediately after then why can't you shoot when you normally deep strike in your movement phase and then immediately after in your shooting phase? Because you can't and that's loving stupid.

The rules specifically state everything you're allowed to do, if they don't say you can do something then you can't do it, that's how the entire rule set works.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Few more shots of Voidraven, Codex cover, and some new Archon model that can barely be seen.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

ghetto wormhole posted:

The rules specifically state everything you're allowed to do, if they don't say you can do something then you can't do it, that's how the entire rule set works.

He is literally denying this saying that because it doesnt state that you specifically cant, that you can. That "shooting as normal" apparently means shooting in your opponents phase. I give up.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Hencoe posted:

He is literally denying this saying that because it doesnt state that you specifically cant, that you can. That "shooting as normal" apparently means shooting in your opponents phase. I give up.

I had a buddy who interpreted this the same way. Exact same reasoning as this. Luckily we were able to convince him that the rules for deep striking obviously werent written with that particular necron rule in mind. Necrons man, i hate them so much.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The proper reply to "it doesn't say you can't" is to then do basically anything you want and point out that "it doesn't say you can't." I'll just go ahead and move during your movement phase- it doesn't say I can't. And what the heck, I'll assault during your shooting phase- doesn't say anywhere that I can't. Heck, I'll assault again during my movement phase, since there's no explicit prohibition against that in the rules anywhere that I can see.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Impaler posted:

Few more shots of Voidraven, Codex cover, and some new Archon model that can barely be seen.

Ooh, okay now I am on board. That nose canopy is pretty drat cool.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

My medusas don't say they have wrecker, AP1, unlimited range, and ordinance 10, but they totally are supposed to because

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hencoe posted:

Tell him you're going to fingerbang his mum in the Psychic Phase.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Tell him you're going to fingerbang his mum in the Psychic Phase.

Now THAT is a good power.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Let him roll the dice and ignore the results. He shouldn't be touching anyone's models so he will have to put up with it if he wants to game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'A player's army fires in the shooting phase of his turn.'

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

"but it doesn't say in his turn ONLY" :byodood:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I know you're being facetious but that's when you point out that the rules dictate what you're allowed to do, and if it's not in the rules, you're not allowed to it.

If he wants to follow this through, break his lovely Deathmarks and say the rules didn't say you couldn't. Necron players are the loving worst.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
If he has a unit that operates outside of the regular understanding of the rules then the burden of proof is on him not you.

He needs to prove his bullshit to you. Not the other way around.

"I'm sorry, I don't accept that interpretation of the rule. You seem to be making a huge inference and drawing a long bow. Your interpretation is unclear. I need to see further proof from an FAQ before I'm willing to agree to playing that way"

Also call on the golden rule of "don't be a dick". Even if, technically you can gain some kind of advantage from an interpretation of the rules it doesn't mean you should take it in a friendly environment.

I had a situation where is was playing with my orks and rolled the infiltrating warlord trait. Which allowed me to infiltrate a number of non vehicle units. My initial reaction was great, I'll give infiltrate to my meganobz, they have a battlewagon as a dedicated transport. So I'll infiltrate the battlewagon full of nobz. My friend responded with
"It said non vehicle units"
And I was all like "aah, but I've not given infiltrate to the battlewagon. I've given it to the squad embarked. And they in turn are allowed to infiltrate inside their dedicated transport"
He replied " yeah, sure you're probably technically correct, but don't be a dick and infiltrate a battlewagon"
"Fair enough"

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 23, 2014

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So a woman doesn't get to have her models shoot during her turn? Well I never, what a sexist game!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Why does that bomber carry its ordnance on the skyward side?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Dang, that Voidraven looks hot. That nose canopy is seriously cool. That Archon looks pretty cool too, from what I can see. After a release with no new models and a few lackluster releases, I'm happy to see some really neat models coming out again for 40k.

Friendly Fire posted:

If I were buying kits to make an army, I would probably think it was horribly overpriced though, mostly because I can't see myself ever enjoying buying kits that I just don't like to complete an army.
Unless you're playing super-competitive games or whatnot, there's not really any reason to buy models you don't like. This is a game all about the models, so if you're not enjoying the models, there's not much point in it.

NTRabbit posted:

Just buy them for Deadzone then :v:

I think some of the Marauders might come close, but they'd need 40k themed bitz to really sell it, unless you were going for that counts-as IG or IG themed Ork army someone else was trying a couple hundred pages back
And if you play Deadzone, more power to you! I don't dig the models, but I can see why some folks like some of them.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

spacegoat posted:

It's a Dark Eldar vehicle, it's more extreme that way.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Cataphract posted:

He replied " yeah, sure you're probably technically correct, but don't be a dick and infiltrate a battlewagon"
"Fair enough"

I'd really like to hear who's interpretation is correct on this, because I tend to side with yours and it's not like battlewagons are hot poo poo kill everything war machines.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can infiltrate in the transport. It's 100% clear and explicit.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

CyberLord XP posted:

I'd really like to hear who's interpretation is correct on this, because I tend to side with yours and it's not like battlewagons are hot poo poo kill everything war machines.

Wagons, no. The Meganobz inside... Well. At least with the Bully Boyz formation, they're pretty loving deadly in my experience.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CyberLord XP posted:

Cataphract is correct, his opponent didn't want to adapt.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Naramyth posted:

Cataphract is correct, his opponent didn't want to adapt.

Oh yeah, I was totally correct but there's no point insisting on stuff like that and forcing friends to have a bad time.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
"Ok, so my Vindicator caused 3 wounds on your Thunderwolf cavalry. Remember it's strength ten, so it inflicts Instant Death."

"C'mon man. Don't be a dick." (Removes 1 model and puts a wound on the second)

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Also Tau battlesuits can fire during the opponent's shooting phase. See, a multi-tracker says the model can fire an additional weapon each shooting phase. On your turn, that's 1+1. On your opponent's turn, well, you normally can't fire any, but you can fire an additional one! 0+1=1!

Unrelated, deciding what to equip my crisis suits with for a 1k list (they're magnetized!). Got three suits and one I'll be using as a Commander rigth now. Is the cyclic ion blaster worth taking?

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 23, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

spacegoat posted:

They're engines.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nah, in that example the space wolves guy is being a dick.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Cataphract posted:

Nah, in that example the space wolves guy is being a dick.

Until you have an objective measure of what being a dick is, his argument wasn't a strawman. Sure, your friend can ask you not to Infiltrate the Battlewagon... but he can do that with literally any rule i the game, as MSP points out. Whether or not that is appropriate will depend entirely on what the two of you decide; there's people I absolutely would cram the 'Wagon down their throats and there's other people I would feel bad running a Battlewagon at all against.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

AbusePuppy posted:

...there's other people I would feel bad running a Battlewagon at all against.

Honest question, why would you ever feel bad about running a battlewagon? I feel like they aren't half as scary now that deffrollas are nerfed.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They're engines.

Yeah, they're the same style intakes as on the razorwing. In one of the pictures, you can see a bit of the ordnance packages hanging below the wings.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

CyberLord XP posted:

Honest question, why would you ever feel bad about running a battlewagon? I feel like they aren't half as scary now that deffrollas are nerfed.

For very new players who aren't good at the game (which there are a few of in my area), it can be very hard to deal with AV14 with 4HP, and anything inside of one is inevitably pretty dangerous. They're really easy to bring down when you know deployment/cornering tricks and can get your guns into their huge side arcs, but for someone who doesn't understand that kind of thing they can seem pretty invincible, especially in a smaller (1000pts or less) game where there just aren't as many guns on the table.

Battlewagons themselves are definitely weaker now, but the cargos they can carry and the speed at which they can deliver them are a lot more threatening.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I am not crazy for battlewagons. I don't like Boyz so a lot of their transport capacity is wasted for me. 3 wagons full of tankbustas would be a laugh.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

seriously, why in the gently caress did they do what they did to deffrollas, they are loving garbage now

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looking for some advice. In a couple of days I've got a 1,000 point game against a guy who plays Space Marines and tends to go with a psyker and quite a few vehicles including a flyer and some cheaper troop options. Any recommendations on what chaos to take along to turn his army into a fine paste?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Is there any justification for using Deffrollas anymore? I'm planning on equipping my 'Wagons with Rams at the very least; is there any way they're worth the extra +5 points to "upgrade" them to Deffrollas anymore?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Raphus C posted:

I am not crazy for battlewagons. I don't like Boyz so a lot of their transport capacity is wasted for me. 3 wagons full of tankbustas would be a laugh.
What kind of Ork player are you!?

S.J. posted:

seriously, why in the gently caress did they do what they did to deffrollas, they are loving garbage now
The balance pendulum swings really far in either given direction, unfortunately. I didn't think they were overpowered before, but now they're pretty much worthless. Maybe toning them down a little bit from the Monolith-munchers they were in 5th was a good idea, but they took them too far.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Is there any justification for using Deffrollas anymore? I'm planning on equipping my 'Wagons with Rams at the very least; is there any way they're worth the extra +5 points to "upgrade" them to Deffrollas anymore?

Nope. Rams are cheap as chips and do the exact same job as Deffrollas now.

SRM posted:

Maybe toning them down a little bit from the Monolith-munchers they were in 5th was a good idea, but they took them too far.

The major problem I see with Deffrollas now is that they do no damage to enemy armor. If they could still do those S10 hit to vehicles, I don't think people would have complained as much since d3 auto-hits is still pretty good for mulching vehicles.

But no, it's relegated to Death or Glory, making it functionally useless.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Nope. Rams are cheap as chips and do the exact same job as Deffrollas now.

The major problem I see with Deffrollas now is that they do no damage to enemy armor. If they could still do those S10 hit to vehicles, I don't think people would have complained as much since d3 auto-hits is still pretty good for mulching vehicles.

But no, it's relegated to Death or Glory, making it functionally useless.

They have a small effect against armor. The +2 front AV when ramming adds +1 to the strength of the ram and makes the BW effectively impervious to damage from ramming other vehicles.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SRM posted:

The balance pendulum swings really far in either given direction, unfortunately. I didn't think they were overpowered before, but now they're pretty much worthless. Maybe toning them down a little bit from the Monolith-munchers they were in 5th was a good idea, but they took them too far.

Honestly it was kind of a rhetorical question :v: I played Orks for about 10 years until 6th ed hit, Orks have wildly swung between amazing and complete garbage for a variety of reasons.

There's a used version of the 4th ed rulebook at a nearby store for like, 5 dollars though. I'm thinking about buying it and just using it + some of the greatest hits updates from 5th and 6th edition to put together a version of 40k I would actually want to play with some friends of mine. While drinking, of course, because Warhammer.

PeterWeller posted:

They have a small effect against armor. The +2 front AV when ramming adds +1 to the strength of the ram and makes the BW effectively impervious to damage from ramming other vehicles.

The Ram already does this, though. The Defrolla does literally nothing special unless your opponent chooses to death or glory. You're paying 5 points to hope to God your opponent is a complete moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

Until you have an objective measure of what being a dick is, his argument wasn't a strawman. Sure, your friend can ask you not to Infiltrate the Battlewagon... but he can do that with literally any rule i the game, as MSP points out. Whether or not that is appropriate will depend entirely on what the two of you decide; there's people I absolutely would cram the 'Wagon down their throats and there's other people I would feel bad running a Battlewagon at all against.

On the one hand there was an obscure situation where the rule said "no vehicles" but there was a loophole that could have been exploited to allow vehicles to take advantage.

On the other hand there was a player wanting to ignore a reasonably elementary rule of the game because it didn't suit them.

As far as I'm concerned the situations aren't really comparable. Hence the strawman.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread