Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

WTFBEES posted:

I'm struggling to think of benefits for desktop graphics (video card powered monitors?) but gently caress it, throw it on them too.

Forget the graphics card for USB output, here's how it goes: Plug tablet or laptop into desktop. Device charges, desktop's peripherals instantly converted into docking station via pass-through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BIFF! posted:

I feel like I already know the answer but just to be sure, I can go from a 770 to a 970 without needing a new PSU right?

Purely from a wattage perspective, yes. If anything the 970 may use less power. If your PSU is old, or of dubious quality though that's another issue and you may wish to replace it.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Factory Factory posted:

Forget the graphics card for USB output, here's how it goes: Plug tablet or laptop into desktop. Device charges, desktop's peripherals instantly converted into docking station via pass-through.

Throw in "tablet acts as little bitty second monitor" and I'm onboard.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Ars Technica mentioned that one of the alternate modes will PCIe. So yeah, it seems that both DockPort and Thunderbolt will have their markets stolen from them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

On a 970 would require a nonexistent "reference" 970, but on the 980, it's 3x DP and 1x HDMI.

No 980 comes with two DVI plugs, so one would have to be DP. If you need it to be DVI, get an Active Adapter. On a 970 that re-uses the 780's ports, you can do 2 DVI and 1 HDMI if you want.

That crazy-rear end Gigabyte 970 has two DVI, 3 DP, and an HDMI, that can do quad 4k monitors can't it?

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Purely from a wattage perspective, yes. If anything the 970 may use less power. If your PSU is old, or of dubious quality though that's another issue and you may wish to replace it.

OK thanks. It's only just over a year old.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BIFF! posted:

OK thanks. It's only just over a year old.

well you're fine then.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I was looking to grab a 970, how good are those ASUS non reference cards?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So I was looking to grab a 970, how good are those ASUS non reference cards?

Not as good as the MSI ones, probably better than most others.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Also at least in the UK the MSI cards are priced ~£20 cheaper than the ASUS ones.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

On a 970 would require a nonexistent "reference" 970, but on the 980, it's 3x DP and 1x HDMI.

No 980 comes with two DVI plugs, so one would have to be DP. If you need it to be DVI, get an Active Adapter. On a 970 that re-uses the 780's ports, you can do 2 DVI and 1 HDMI if you want.

Both the Gigabyte 970 and 980 come with two DVI and three DP and HDMI, which invalidates both of these. Cooler's not poo poo but it doesn't go passive and isn't as good as MSI's or ASUS' cooler.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

BIFF! posted:

I feel like I already know the answer but just to be sure, I can go from a 770 to a 970 without needing a new PSU right?

Mind if I ask which PSU you have?

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The concrete chokes in Asus' Strix are probably one of its biggest selling points. Having no coil whine automatically puts the card above the majority of cards on the market.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Not as good as the MSI ones, probably better than most others.

Just remember that according to MSI, coil whine is normal and not a defect. You can try underclocking your brand new card to reduce the whine, though!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice, local Finnish vendor got a shipment of Asus 970's! Going to pick up mine tomorrow.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Any chance of seeing a 9xxM in a laptop anytime soon? The 8xxM cards have been out for a while now and I'm looking to purchase a new laptop.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dobermaniac posted:

Any chance of seeing a 9xxM in a laptop anytime soon? The 8xxM cards have been out for a while now and I'm looking to purchase a new laptop.

Laptops have the 850 and 860 using GM107 chips, I doubt we see GM204 versions super quickly.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This is my first go-round of a new set of cards - do we have any idea (from statements or just how it's gone previously) when we're likely to hear about the 960?

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Linux Nazi posted:

I've ran SLI with:

2x 8800s
2x GeForce 260s
2x GeForce 570s

Until just recently, I never had any issues. Essentially most games were running engines optimized for SLI.

Towards the end of the 570s (before I updated to the single 780 6GB) I had 3 games in a row hit me with no SLI capabilities. ESO (who cares) TitanFall, and Grid: Autosport.

It was at some point when I was trying the various "fixes" for Titanfall using nvidia injector to force SLI profiles and such that I decided that this poo poo blows.

I wouldn't say that this means companies are abandoning SLI, I don't think that's the case. But it seems to be an afterthought. There's nothing more frustrating than having to wait on the publisher/developer to get off their rear end and make proper SLI optimizations.

Thanks for this post, I was really leaning towards SLI. I'll keep researching and try to decide if I can make an OC'd 980 do the job.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Tempest_56 posted:

This is my first go-round of a new set of cards - do we have any idea (from statements or just how it's gone previously) when we're likely to hear about the 960?

Assuming it's a die-harvest of GM204, I'd imagine fairly soon - they may be waiting to see more Tonga so that they can price their product stack appropriately now that they've offered a definitive high-end product, or they may be waiting on sufficient stock of less-than-perfect GM204 chips.

TSMC's current node for GPUs and other complex silicon that still needs to be tiny is very well understood and I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer defects overall this generation than any of the three prior. For more rampant speculation, see the current 760 pricing for an idea of where it may slot in if we're lucky and nV wants to taste blood badly enough. For good reason they've been discontinuing deprecated SKUs, and I imagine they're wanting as much of that fabrication capability devoted to Maxwell as they can get (leaving room for HPC cards, of course, though they're probably spending quite a lot of time making Big Maxwell work right).

The Kepler card progression was just too well done in terms of hitting the market right, the timing was brutal and let the architecture have extremely long legs and if they have a similar cadence for this release it's going to be a hell of a thing. Eventually. Maybe. Who knows? :shobon:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 23, 2014

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Welp it's sold out p much everywhere where i'm from, hoping to get a 970 from Germany via a friend but they seem to be sold out too.

edit: they means amazon.de idk of any other sellers around there i guess i'll ask said friend.

Any clue when the next batch is gonna come out? I'm mainly interested in the gigabyte or msi versions.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I only wish the full DX12 hardware specs and requirements had been available prior to the 970/980 launch. Even though it may take 3 years for the first games fully using DX12, it sucks to buy this super awesome GTX 970, knowing that Microsoft will put a damper on it by coming up with some poo poo that only the next gpu revision will support natively.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love that it has 3 DisplayPorts, but they are 1.2, two versions behind the current spec, and expressly locking out any Adaptivesync/Freesync support in hardware. Because nVidia.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Linux Nazi posted:

I bought my 780 6GB edition almost 3 months ago, and finally took EVGA up on the 90-day step-up offer (having bought nothing but EVGA for as long as I can remember).

I'm exactly 4 days shy of my 90 day mark, but I'm now in the queue for a 980. All I'll be paying is shipping!

:feelsgood:

I've ran SLI with:

2x 8800s
2x GeForce 260s
2x GeForce 570s

Until just recently, I never had any issues. Essentially most games were running engines optimized for SLI.

Towards the end of the 570s (before I updated to the single 780 6GB) I had 3 games in a row hit me with no SLI capabilities. ESO (who cares) TitanFall, and Grid: Autosport.

It was at some point when I was trying the various "fixes" for Titanfall using nvidia injector to force SLI profiles and such that I decided that this poo poo blows.

I wouldn't say that this means companies are abandoning SLI, I don't think that's the case. But it seems to be an afterthought. There's nothing more frustrating than having to wait on the publisher/developer to get off their rear end and make proper SLI optimizations.

I'd seen the sentiment that SLI/Crossfire is entirely up to the drivers, and applications can't even see if there are multiple cards. Sounds like it's up to both parties and that apps can check cards - pretty neat and brief read popped up, 2011 SLI best practices whitepaper from Nvidia.

quote:

SLI Check List
1. Check the maximum potential scaling by running your application in an SLI configuration
after renaming its executable to AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe. If necessary, resolve any CPU
bottleneck before continuing.
2. If you are using Queries, make sure to allow buffering of at least N frames‟ worth of work
before stalling to get their result (where N is the number of AFR groups in the
configuration).
3. Use resource Clears were appropriate, depending on the availability of an SLI profile for
your application.
4. For either 2 or 3, if your application requires an SLI-specific change, use the latest version of
NVAPI from developer.nvidia.com to properly detect the current SLI configuration,
including the number of AFR Groups.
5. Send NVIDIA a build of your application to get an SLI profile created for it.
Alternatively, use the SLI-specific advice to eliminate inter-frame dependencies where
possible (Clears).

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction

uaciaut posted:

Welp it's sold out p much everywhere where i'm from, hoping to get a 970 from Germany via a friend but they seem to be sold out too.

edit: they means amazon.de idk of any other sellers around there i guess i'll ask said friend.

Any clue when the next batch is gonna come out? I'm mainly interested in the gigabyte or msi versions.

Here is a current list of most if not all the online stores in Germany selling them. Shipments seem to come in sporadically.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
When you're rushing like gently caress to get half a game out the door so you can start work on $$$ DLC you're not gonna stop and wonder 'hmm how well does this react with SLI/CF'

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EoRaptor posted:

I love that it has 3 DisplayPorts, but they are 1.2, two versions behind the current spec, and expressly locking out any Adaptivesync/Freesync support in hardware. Because nVidia.
:confused:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40187/nvidia-releases-the-geforce-gtx-980-its-most-advanced-gpu-at-549/index.html

quote:

We have three DisplayPort 1.2a ports, one HDMI 2.0 port, and a dual-link DVI port. NVIDIA Surround Vision, and NVIDIA G-SYNC Surround is supported, with three DP ports on the single GPU capable of driving the displays.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-promises-support-freesync/

quote:

it would appear that Nvidia has surprisingly agreed to giving Adaptive Sync and therefore FreeSync its full support.

quote:

The publication also states that the new Maxwell GPUs will support the same.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

mcbexx posted:

I only wish the full DX12 hardware specs and requirements had been available prior to the 970/980 launch. Even though it may take 3 years for the first games fully using DX12, it sucks to buy this super awesome GTX 970, knowing that Microsoft will put a damper on it by coming up with some poo poo that only the next gpu revision will support natively.

Actually, all GCN GPUs, Gen7.5 and later Intel GPUs, and Fermi and later Nvidia GPUs are confirmed supported for DX12.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Factory Factory posted:

Actually, all GCN GPUs, Gen7.5 and later Intel GPUs, and Fermi and later Nvidia GPUs are confirmed supported for DX12.

My understanding is that the current cards will support most of the features out of the box or by software emulation, but that there are still some DX12 features up in the air that may require dedicated hardware support.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

Senjuro posted:

Mind if I ask which PSU you have?

It's this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00918MEZG?cache=13eb947df70cbad2ae656e70752c1dd8&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1411485794&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Is there a good review of Gigabyte's 970 that compares it against another company? I know there's one that compares Asus, MSI and EVGA.

edit: /\/\/\/\ oh cool, I bought the exact same model yesterday.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

This is brilliant of Nvidia, freesync was the only rationalization at this moment in time to buy AMD.

norg
Jul 5, 2006
Will a Coolermaster V700 PSU run SLI 970s ok?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not overclocking anything, probably a decent brand 450 watt would run SLI 970's, they only have like 300 watts TDP combined. If you're overclocking both and your CPU, aim for 550+ watts

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

If you're not overclocking anything, probably a decent brand 450 watt would run SLI 970's

I think that's going a bit far, TDP is 165W per card, but some cards can peak at 188W.

Potentially 376 watts on graphics cards doesn't leave you much for your CPU, motherboard, drives. You'd probably run with something like a 4790K, that's another 88W TDP.

Now you're 14 watts over just from review numbers and spec sheets, without powering any other devices at all.

I know the 970 is an efficient card, but please refrain from suggesting 970 SLI would be a good idea on a 450W PSU.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So is it better to get a reference card or a non reference card?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
EVGA_JacobF
Classified availability mid-late Oct.

Jacob, could you please confirm this madness?

EVGATech_JaesonW
I also have confirmation back that the 980 Classified is indeed as pictured with one DP, one HDMI, and 2 DVI.

QQQQQQQQ

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Just broke down and purchased the MSI Twin Frozr 5 970 GTX from Scan. Hope I can sell my 4GB 670GTX for a good amount on Gumtree or something. Still have some in stock btw

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

All the specs I'd read stated DP1.2, but it would be nice if they did 1.2a at least. As for freesync support, wccftech is seemingly a little eager to publish without fact checking, but it would be nice if they did support it. Now we just need a freesync monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

All the specs I'd read stated DP1.2, but it would be nice if they did 1.2a at least. As for freesync support, wccftech is seemingly a little eager to publish without fact checking, but it would be nice if they did support it. Now we just need a freesync monitor.

Tom's has Nvidia basically stating they give no fucks on freesync/adapative-sync. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-adaptive-sync-freesync,27736.html

Just thought I'd throw that out there.