Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zigmidge posted:

VLC is a straight up joke of its desktop counterpart I don't know why people insist on it.
Are you in the US? If your location is set to outside of the US, MKV files play just fine, which is the main (only) complaint I've really seen about VLC for iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

I feel something like this should go in the OP. People ask for Plex or nPlayer all the time.

It's in the new OP I'm drafting :)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

HD Player seems to work well, too.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think VLC is the only one to still decode DTS, though, if you don't have the option to reencode/remux.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Molten Llama posted:

That's not luck; that's the designed behavior. :science:

Behold the power of hardware watchdog timers! System doesn't respond for two minutes? Processor automatically resets the whole shebang.

Figured it might be something like that, but I'd never seen anything like it, so I was worried that I'd somehow bricked my iPad entirely.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I just moved over to iOS and I need a timer app. I have to keep track of a 30 minute break timer for work as well as an hour lunch. Clock app doesn't let you have more then one timer at once, also a widget in notification center while a timer is running would be ideal. Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

blakout posted:

I just moved over to iOS and I need a timer app. I have to keep track of a 30 minute break timer for work as well as an hour lunch. Clock app doesn't let you have more then one timer at once, also a widget in notification center while a timer is running would be ideal. Thanks.

Not sure about the widget but check out 30/30.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

blakout posted:

It's designed for cooking, but Thyme is a half decent multi-timer app.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

blakout posted:

If you just need timers (not time tracking) Due has worked pretty well for me.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

@timer is a free app that sounds like it is a better fit for your purposes than any of the other apps mentioned so far. No timer has a widget yet that I am aware of.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the best todo app nowadays? Is Remember the Milk still good or are there better ones out there? Has anyone tried "ToDo7" or "ToDoist"?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Omnifocus if you can stomach the price and use GTD.

Checkmark 2 has really good support for location based todos.

Clear if you want something clean and simple.

Things strikes a good balance between being a pretty powerful todo app while being cheaper than omnifocus.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Megasabin posted:

What's the best todo app nowadays? Is Remember the Milk still good or are there better ones out there? Has anyone tried "ToDo7" or "ToDoist"?

The Verge recommends Wunderlist: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/19/6397927/best-to-do-list-app

I just switched to this based on their recommendation and really liking it so far. I used Any.do before which was good, but I needed something a bit more powerful than that and Wunderlist seems to do the trick without being too complicated.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got an iPhone 6 yesterday, and it was working totally fine all day. This morning it won't download any updates to any of the apps that need them. I've tried it connected to two different wi-fi networks and through LTE, and no dice either way. Any ideas?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I got an iPhone 6 yesterday, and it was working totally fine all day. This morning it won't download any updates to any of the apps that need them. I've tried it connected to two different wi-fi networks and through LTE, and no dice either way. Any ideas?

The only theory I've heard is that you can actually test on your own is that being on a wifi network that's not using WPA2 will cause problems. There's definitely some kind of network issue with iOS 8 and/or the new phones, but no one seems to have conclusively figured out what it is yet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wunderlist is kinda great but also poo poo at being an iOS app. It relies on a subscription plan outside of it and emails you when you have things due. It's cool, but I kinda just want to set reminders, be reminded of them, and then be done with my life. Clear does this well now and the update (for those who only used the initial build) supports setting reminders for specific times and notifications. Very cool.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xzzy posted:

The only theory I've heard is that you can actually test on your own is that being on a wifi network that's not using WPA2 will cause problems. There's definitely some kind of network issue with iOS 8 and/or the new phones, but no one seems to have conclusively figured out what it is yet.

My home network uses WPA 2 and it wasn't working there. I also reset the network settings and that did nothing. This is frustrating. It's also now draining battery incredibly fast even when not being actively used.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Give it a reboot, if that doesn't fix the issue, restore iOS 8 and test it out without restoring your backup. If that doesn't fix it, take it to the store, they'll immediately swap it.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread - does anyone know of a way to enable keyboard sounds (clicking while typing) in Swiftkey? Google seems to indicate that this is an issue with all 3rd-party keyboards but I couldn't figure out if it was something that could be changed via a setting somewhere.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Who is working on the SomethingAwful smilies keyboard? I have been waiting patiently for years for such a feature. Would gladly pay $5-$10!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haggins posted:

Who is working on the SomethingAwful smilies keyboard? I have been waiting patiently for years for such a feature. Would gladly pay $5-$10!

I tried using one of the third party .gif keyboard apps but for some reason when I sent them they didn't animate unless I clicked them in the message window first. Other non-SA gifs worked fine, though.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just installed riffsy this morning and it seems to work with animations and all.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

foobar posted:

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread - does anyone know of a way to enable keyboard sounds (clicking while typing) in Swiftkey? Google seems to indicate that this is an issue with all 3rd-party keyboards but I couldn't figure out if it was something that could be changed via a setting somewhere.

It's a 3rd party keyboard limitation AFAIK. I miss the typing sounds too.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:

TheJoker138 posted:

Power cycle the phone. My phone stopped handling data last night despite showing wifi connected. Turned wifi on/off with no help. Power cycle fixed it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yo, Riffsy sucks rear end. I'm pretty sure it just searches Tumblr every time you load it up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

noirstronaut posted:

Yo, Riffsy sucks rear end. I'm pretty sure it just searches Tumblr every time you load it up.

Well that is the target demographic for those who need to talk to people in gifs isn't it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well that is the target demographic for those who need to talk to people in gifs isn't it?

This is very true. I just want to send people the gif of this kid looking puzzled on a whim.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Could someone recommend me a fancy alarm clock? With the iOS one I can accidentally turn it off by swiping and then fall back asleep. I need something that will outsmart my groggy self. I used to have Alarm Clock Plus on Android but I don't see that on iOS.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Ugh, where are my 6 and 6 Plus optimized apps? Tired of everything looking like an android application.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sudo rm -rf posted:

Ugh, where are my 6 and 6 Plus optimized apps? Tired of everything looking like an android application.

Seriously UGH. I mean, the phones shipped less than a week ago. What the gently caress, devs???

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Amazingly, sudo rm -rf's post isn't even close to how petty we can get here.

Just wait until a weather app changes its icon for ios 8.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That being said, I'm surprised apps with pretty much infinite money behind them like Facebook and WhatsApp have yet to update.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

From what I've read, there's supposedly a huge backlog of apps waiting for review, so you can't blame the developers for everything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

From what I've read, there's supposedly a huge backlog of apps waiting for review, so you can't blame the developers for everything.
Yeah a buddy's app just went up today after 9 days in review.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Twitterrific's update just hit, so you iPhone 6 Tweetbot users could check that out while you wait for it to update.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
ESPN SportsCenter update with widgets got pushed out as well! :woop:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Omni focus looks awesome, can someone give me an example of how it's made your life like, $30 better?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I hope tweetbot for iPad will update soon.

for iOS 7.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tuyop posted:

Omni focus looks awesome, can someone give me an example of how it's made your life like, $30 better?

If you buy into the GTD philosophy and actually follow it then it's worth every penny. I did it for a while and it definitely paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If you're big into the whole "Getting Things Done" method, it's a great tool with lots of options. Unless you're really into being super organized and planning tons of poo poo to the T, then it's probably a huge overkill. It goes very deep. I've used it (on mac, iphone, and ipad) and determined it is way too much for me. I prefer a simpler program like Things for my remembering to do stuff.

• Locked thread