Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

Cloud-to-butt is becoming reality.
I've become so used to it that it didn't even register until you said it and I remembered I haven't reinstalled Cloud2Butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

15 here. Got my first cell in 1999, an Ericsson T18, and have kept the same number since.

I've had mine for around 13 years or so, and the area code I have no longer applies to the county I got the phone in. Since I still live in the same region as it's from, people will sometimes be impressed that I still have it.

I can't get a 212 number anyway, so I've never seen a point in changing it.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 23, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GargleBlaster posted:

I know Backup Exec already gets a lot of complaining on here, but seriously this 2012 version

Click on the icon
Go grab a coffee
Do a few other jobs
Come back to it
Still loading

Slowest starting software on the planet, without actually being any obvious fault (there's a progress bar, there's disk thrashing.. it's just slow)

E: this is what happens when I'm slow at editing a post

Just got my purchase of veeam approved yesterday and everything is right with the world. :gizz:

Just wait until you need to renew your 2012 backup exec and see how little the price difference is compared to real backup software solutions out there. I have no idea how symantec is even around.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Just got my purchase of veeam approved yesterday and everything is right with the world. :gizz:

Quoting this one for posterity. Just wait until Veeam fucks up and fills all your datastores with snapshots, or just stops backing up for no reason, or decides it's time to do full backups for no reason, or, or...

Remember the First Rule of Enterprise Backup Software: Everything sucks.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

the littlest prince posted:

Cloud-to-butt is becoming reality.

I was at a conference this week where a presenter was using one of those in-browser slideshow apps and forgot that he had cloud2butt installed. Luckily it was only once and fairly consistent with the tone of his talk.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I just need to vent. I'm sorry.

Within the last 6 days, my company has laid off people for the first time. To compensate, I was put back on Tier 1 duties. To make matters worse, the clients I support need a site-to-site VPN so only 1 subnet works. I'm not on that subnet. The solution? Send an IM if we need anything. Today, the newest solution is to remote into a PC on the subnet so I can remote into the remote server to do my job. We're a loving IT company and we can't get our own site to site VPN fixed in a week.

I won't even go into the fact I've been on helpdesk for like 4 years and despite being told I would move up, I never do. I used to love this company but in a short 3 months, I've completely lost all faith in them.

I know I'll get told to :yotj: but when I have 0 idea what I want to do, I'd just be moving into another helpdesk :sigh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Irritated Goat posted:

Within the last 6 days, my company has laid off people for the first time. To compensate, I was put back on Tier 1 duties. To make matters worse, the clients I support need a site-to-site VPN so only 1 subnet works. I'm not on that subnet. The solution? Send an IM if we need anything. Today, the newest solution is to remote into a PC on the subnet so I can remote into the remote server to do my job. We're a loving IT company and we can't get our own site to site VPN fixed in a week.

I feel your pain. I too have to do the RDP>RDP for some locations. But in my case it's less technical prowess on the internal networking team and more the best solution to work with a very strict security policy. In fact the computer I have to launch the initial RDP from is air-gapped from the corp network. Yay, juggling two computers at my desk. Fortunately I found a USB hub with a A/B switch for each port so I only need one keyboard and mouse. Still have a bunch of monitors hanging out on my desk, so that part sucks.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 23, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sickening posted:

Just wait until you need to renew your 2012 backup exec and see how little the price difference is compared to real backup software solutions out there. I have no idea how symantec is even around.

Veeam has been great for us *touch wood*, it's just that we then archive those off onto tape after a week and that's where BE comes in.

Daily backups for a week via Veeam (reverse incremental)
Weekly archives of the Veeam full image archived onto tape and most of them retained for a month
Monthly tapes retained for 7 years

Biggest pain is if someone manages to lose a file and not realise for over a week. Whee, time to restore 400GB worth of Veeam image just to extract one file.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We run two networks in the office - a QA network which is supposed to mimic production and is therefore pretty cutoff from the rest of the world, and a typical office network. Basically you're on the office network unless you know a specific reason to be on the QA network. Well, one of our QA guys is on the QA network and wants it to behave exactly like the other network. This guy's been ramping up the attitude lately and figured he'd go to the well one more time. He sent an email complaining about access, to my group and his group.

I can’t access tickets when plugged directly into the QA network, probably because of an entry in my hosts file, and I’m not going to remove that, because I’d have to add it back when I want to try accessing the QA network

I bolded the bold section above and replied all with "User aware of issue and workaround. Ticket closed." (We don't have tickets, but how can I not?)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I won't even go into the fact I've been on helpdesk for like 4 years and despite being told I would move up, I never do. I used to love this company but in a short 3 months, I've completely lost all faith in them.

I know I'll get told to :yotj: but when I have 0 idea what I want to do, I'd just be moving into another helpdesk :sigh:

One of the first lessons to learn in business is not put any faith in promises. Promises are completely worthless. Any helpdesk person worth their salt is promised tons of things to keep them in their position longer because guess what your boss is judged on?

Great helpdesk people are worth their weight in gold! They do the job they were giving to do well and will do jobs above their pay grade because they want to move on from the helpdesk eventually. Your employer rakes in the value because they are able to double dip.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of my coworkers who makes the same amount as me is functionally illiterate.

mewse
May 2, 2006

jim truds posted:

Same, mines probably dyslexic

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
School district is getting DDOSed. They get internet through the PUD. Our EHR is hosted through them too. No one can get to the EHR, no one can work. Hurray!

Mierdaan posted:

Quoting this one for posterity. Just wait until Veeam fucks up and fills all your datastores with snapshots, or just stops backing up for no reason, or decides it's time to do full backups for no reason, or, or...

Remember the First Rule of Enterprise Backup Software: Everything sucks.

PHDVirtual (now Unitrends Virtual Backup) has been mostly ok. Except the Butthook backups. They constantly gently caress up with no details and no way to fix them other than arranging a screen sharing session with support so they can log in directly with their special access and run a manual fsck that takes forever.

On the other hand they did ditch the terrible catgirl animu mascot.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: There is a data cleanup process which runs for hours and hours to update a few tens of thousands of records. It shouldn't take this long. After having a DBA "analyze" this problem, his response is "Well, just run stats before and after every processing task." Gee, thanks. I'm glad I'm not responsible for your paycheck. Why don't we just "add an index" while we're at it.

Two useless things DBAs will tell you when they don't really know how to make something perform better:
1. Run stats
2. Add an index

:argh:

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
anyone know how to take data from an excel document and auto populate fields in a .pdf file without manually copy/pasting them repeatedly?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

slightpirate posted:

anyone know how to take data from an excel document and auto populate fields in a .pdf file without manually copy/pasting them repeatedly?

Xlsx files are actually renamed zips containing a bunch of XML. There are tons of libraries for reading from them. You can also do it with built-in stuff in .Net.

If you meant "... without writing code" then idk.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Powershell might be your best option here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

jim truds posted:

I think my IT director is becoming senile.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

FISHMANPET posted:

I think my IT director is becoming senile.

My boss only ever went on site to do an install once and tried to use a 30m long cable to connect a PC to the switch, hammering nails into the wall to hang it on while ignoring the port that was on the wall.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sarcasmatron posted:

I've had the same number for 17 years. :sotw:

Got you beat by 1 year - I got my cell phone from Verizon in 1996. It was the Motorola Bag Phone, and I had it for several years before I finally went with a flip phone in the early 2000's. God, I miss that phone now - it was a beast and got a signal anywhere.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Collateral Damage posted:

15 here. Got my first cell in 1999, an Ericsson T18, and have kept the same number since.

I've had mine since '97, got my first phone in my freshman year of college. I've actually only had three phones in that time, too; had to upgrade from my old 5120 to a 3595 when the battery finally gave up, since the analog network was going away soon anyway, and finally switched to an LG Optimus V a few years ago when I lost the poor 3595 somewhere. My cell phone bill has literally never been more than $35 a month (it's actually $25 at the moment since I'm grandfathered into the old Virgin Mobile rate :toot: ).

The only downside to having a Florida area code is that I can't call it from my landline in Atlanta, so I have to route my DIY home alarm calls through a Google Voice number. :v:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

I know Backup Exec already gets a lot of complaining on here, but seriously this 2012 version

Click on the icon
Go grab a coffee
Do a few other jobs
Come back to it
Still loading

Slowest starting software on the planet, without actually being any obvious fault (there's a progress bar, there's disk thrashing.. it's just slow)

E: this is what happens when I'm slow at editing a post

I built the network for my site when we took over a year ago. For some reason my boss told me to use Arc Serve not the normal Symantec we used at other sites

He also bought all the other sites Arc Serve licenses and told the guys to move over

My old boss is still using Symantec when he has a Arc Serve license sitting in his inbox

Apart from the media pools being strange it seems to backup ok although I've not had to restore anything yet

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Got you beat by 1 year - I got my cell phone from Verizon in 1996. It was the Motorola Bag Phone, and I had it for several years before I finally went with a flip phone in the early 2000's. God, I miss that phone now - it was a beast and got a signal anywhere.

Got a number and phone 10 years ago from my grandmother when she died. The phone is kaput, but I'm not changing my number. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

it seems to backup ok although I've not had to restore anything yet
:stonklol:

Do a restore test. You don't want to learn that your backups have been broken for years in a live situation.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: There is a data cleanup process which runs for hours and hours to update a few tens of thousands of records. It shouldn't take this long. After having a DBA "analyze" this problem, his response is "Well, just run stats before and after every processing task." Gee, thanks. I'm glad I'm not responsible for your paycheck. Why don't we just "add an index" while we're at it.

Two useless things DBAs will tell you when they don't really know how to make something perform better:
1. Run stats
2. Add an index

:argh:

Sometimes it really is an index.

Ask him to run an estimated execution plan and determine which indexes would be most appropriate to add.

If you want more technically appropriate ways to troubleshoot this with things that require someone to be logged into SSMS, I will be super helpful. :angel:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sometimes it really is, and if the DBA said "I added an index" and it fixed the problem, I would be content. Instead they're just blowing me off. I ended up sending a very polite email that boiled down to "This is bullshit. You know it, I know it, and there's no way I can prevent your customer from knowing it, so you may wish to do something about it." It was surprisingly well received.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So day 3 of the stupidest project I've ever been on continues. So far I've put about 1200 miles on this rental since Sunday, and I've got another 500 or so to go. Highlight of the trip has been listening to audiobook that had a section read by Ice-T.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

So day 3 of the stupidest project I've ever been on continues. So far I've put about 1200 miles on this rental since Sunday, and I've got another 500 or so to go. Highlight of the trip has been listening to audiobook that had a section read by Ice-T.

You forgot to tell us the name of the audiobook.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

The 9/11 Commission Report

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Thought I'd share this tonight as I can't wait to get reamed in the rear end tomorrow morning:
Needed two office 2010 keys back in May/June and suggested we buy the keys off of Newegg, Amazon or another online store I'm familiar with. I get told by management to find it cheaper. I can only get the price down a little on somewhat reputable sites so they tell me to get it lower. I find a site that's shady but says they're an authorized Microsoft dealer and buy two keys for 2010 standard which both activate successfully and are used for months with no problems. Skip forward to this week and I'm informed the keys are counterfeit by Microsoft reps. Great. Email the VP to get a purchase approved and she goes off about disciplinary action on whoever chose the site because more research should have been done, etc. So tomorrow I get to provide evidence that its my fault and get hosed for it. Don't mind the fact that I recently saved the company 3k annually by switching helpdesks we use. Nevermind the fact that I work hard. I hosed up and two office keys totalling $50 are counterfeit so disciplinary action is in order.

TL;DR I'm a dumbass and didn't just buy office 2010 keys for the correct price.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Simpleboo posted:

If it makes you feel better I got a written warning once because I forgot to put a newly provisioned server in our IP "database".xslx and one of my less proficient co-workers decided to just allocate it to a new server without pinging the IP or checking the ARP table causing a conflict and an outage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hanyolo posted:

If it makes you feel better I got a written warning once because I forgot to put a newly provisioned server in our IP "database".xslx and one of my less proficient co-workers decided to just allocate it to a new server without pinging the IP or checking the ARP table causing a conflict and an outage.

We were approaching time to migrate to a new version of Creative Suite and OS X all at once.
My boss assigned one of the guys at the home office to coordinate.
That guy and I had a chat and decided that the best way to go was to make a master image, use a bunch of Firewire drives, and just blast through the process.
This would still leave my satellite office a version behind on Creative Suite for four months.
I write an email to my boss detailing the plan and letting him know that buying two more FW HDs would save money in my overtime rate.
Boss flies from the home office to my office to yell at me for executing a migration on my own initiative. Not yelled == raised voice, yelled.
I send him a copy of the email where he told me to do what so and so said regarding the migration along with our planning exchange, and emphasized that I had only asked for the purchase of less than $500 worth of external drives for a migration he had told me to do.
I hear about "upgraded a whole office without permission and therefor cannot be trusted" for two annual reviews.

gently caress that guy. He's the same guy who "hoped" that the finance guy in our office would bring me up to speed on the new Sarbannes-Oxley controls he had just put in place. Like, didn't tell me himself, provide a copy of the documentation, or ASK the CFO to tell me. Hoped. SOX. WTF.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

hanyolo posted:

Did he get yelled at for his part or what?

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 24, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Simpleboo posted:

You provided them with reputable vendors that your bosses rejected, what were you supposed to do, tell them, "No, I'm buying them from here with your money anyway?"

Do not accept sole responsibility for this. Oh, they can punish you, but don't let them make you admit you are to blame. At most, you maybe could have pushed back harder on them rejecting your initial vendors, but going to battle with your bosses over something that minor was not worth the risk of bruising some manager's fragile ego. This poo poo happens, it's the cost of doing business. And seriously, they only lost 50 bucks? They should be celebrating.

Disciplinary action for not being perfect is utterly ridiculous, and if a company pulled that poo poo on me I would tell them exactly that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

Disciplinary action for not being perfect is utterly ridiculous, and if a company pulled that poo poo on me I would tell them exactly that.

This one knows what's up. Don't let them blame you for this, they wanted to cheap out, they got the cheap lovely option.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Che Delilas posted:

It's the D&D one.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Ice-T as Drizzt Do'urden would be an experience, that's for drat sure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I received this email at 8:40pm last night from our head of construction:

quote:

We are in the process of putting together a 10 year Capitol plan for our locations and want to capture my possible/potential Capitol improvement/upgrade projects at the building in the next ten years.

Regarding technology and communications and security, should we expect to have to upgrade any of our technology based equipment/systems in the next ten years? Software, hardware, expected paradigm shifts, etc?

If so please outline what we should plan for, when we should plan for it, and a padded rough estimate if the costs ( adjusted for yearly inflation)

Need this ASAP, mid day tomorrow (Wednesday) at the latest.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Thanks.

:smithicide:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I received this email at 8:40pm last night from our head of construction:

:smithicide:

Doesn't sound like a big deal. You just need to look into your crystal ball and figure out the upgrades needed for the next 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I have a question that is probably better directed elsewhere, but I'd like the opinions of this thread too:

What do you do when you have multiple short term jobs on your resume? Let's say there are three - the first one was doing illegal things and moving into position to blame you for it when you resigned, the second one ended when the company stopped existing, and the third just downsized your department. How do you explain that to a fourth employer? Is it even possible to get it out of their minds? What can you do if poo poo happens but nobody trusts you because of that?