Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The situation is similar to Microsoft allowing Vista to be installed on machines that were way below what Vista should have been running on. There kind of actually was a conspiracy there, though, and Microsoft got dragged into court over that campaign.

I switched over to Android due to a whole bunch of factors to do with price, my region, sim locking, and also the fact that my iPhone 4 had been made unusable by the most recent software update. I wasn't doing anything new with my phone that I hadn't already been doing 3 years earlier, but my user experience got worse thanks to that software update. That sucks. I saw it happen to my girlfriend's 3GS and then I watched it happen to me a few years later. It is a thing that happens. Nobody can prove it's intentional, but it happens. Apple probably should probably be more proactive about drawing the line in the sand by requiring newer hardware for new versions of iOS.

So I don't think there's some giant conspiracy on the part of Apple, but it's pretty clear they give no fucks about how they're impacting the user experience on devices more than 2 years old that they still pretend they're supporting via software updates. Dropping support by not releasing updates for those phones would be the preferable option, but I think they'd probably make a security argument that users should be on the most recent version of the OS where all known holes have already been patched. They don't want to be in the same boat as Microsoft with releasing separate security updates for XP 10 years after its release.

It's not a conspiracy in the same way we talk about in this thread, but the way Apple handles this stuff sure makes it feel like one! So I understand why users might feel that way. I was pretty pissed off that my iPad 1 with a super old version of iOS felt snappier than my iPhone 4 on the newest version of iOS.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ErIog posted:

The situation is similar to Microsoft allowing Vista to be installed on machines that were way below what Vista should have been running on. There kind of actually was a conspiracy there, though, and Microsoft got dragged into court over that campaign.

I switched over to Android due to a whole bunch of factors to do with price, my region, sim locking, and also the fact that my iPhone 4 had been made unusable by the most recent software update. I wasn't doing anything new with my phone that I hadn't already been doing 3 years earlier, but my user experience got worse thanks to that software update. That sucks. I saw it happen to my girlfriend's 3GS and then I watched it happen to me a few years later. It is a thing that happens. Nobody can prove it's intentional, but it happens. Apple probably should probably be more proactive about drawing the line in the sand by requiring newer hardware for new versions of iOS.

So I don't think there's some giant conspiracy on the part of Apple, but it's pretty clear they give no fucks about how they're impacting the user experience on devices more than 2 years old that they still pretend they're supporting via software updates. Dropping support by not releasing updates for those phones would be the preferable option, but I think they'd probably make a security argument that users should be on the most recent version of the OS where all known holes have already been patched. They don't want to be in the same boat as Microsoft with releasing separate security updates for XP 10 years after its release.

It's not a conspiracy in the same way we talk about in this thread, but the way Apple handles this stuff sure makes it feel like one! So I understand why users might feel that way. I was pretty pissed off that my iPad 1 with a super old version of iOS felt snappier than my iPhone 4 on the newest version of iOS.

You mean a four year old device got slower with a new OS? It's like it's processing power is somehow less than the iPad Air? How dare Apple give you new features for free!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Apple has a history of shady poo poo like that, though. For example, they recalled all the software for the Apple IIgs to try and force people to upgrade to the Mac. That is why I'll never buy an Apple product. I wouldn't put it past them to pull that kind of poo poo again, since they are all about the vertical control of their products.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

twistedmentat posted:

People (who tend to be Android users) really buy into "apple forces you to buy the new iphone by ruining your old one with the iOS updates!" CT.

There's a tiny amount of truth to that, in that the new OS is designed to work with the new phone, which is more powerful, so it may not run smoothly on a older model.

They kinda do, though. Try using an iPhone 4 on iOS 8 - it's nearly unusable and there's no way to revert back to iOS 7 afterwards.

It's not a matter of "durrrr computers get faster over time!". The phone was usable with iOS 7 and ran all apps in the App Store, now it's unusable. If it really were a matter of the phone being too slow, it wouldn't perfectly run any app (on iOS 7, of course!).

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 22, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Planned Obsolescence is just a scary word for Product Management. Wet Seal explains in detail to their shareholders that they design their clothing to last 2-3 washes max, because they sell $6 shirts to teenyboppers. You think an 11 year old girl who loves pink cares about how durable that shirt is (or the top they bought yesterday, let alone last week).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cheekio posted:

Planned Obsolescence is just a scary word for Product Management. Wet Seal explains in detail to their shareholders that they design their clothing to last 2-3 washes max, because they sell $6 shirts to teenyboppers. You think an 11 year old girl who loves pink cares about how durable that shirt is (or the top they bought yesterday, let alone last week).

This would be relevant to the discussion, were iPhones designed to just fall apart or slow down after a given amount of time. They don't - unless they're given an Apple-branded trojan horse.

Android phones from major manufacturers, with all their issues, just stop receiving updates - at least they don't receive updates that actually break the phone permanently.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On the drive from PA back to VA, I saw banners hung from overpasses, with American flags and slogans. The first read "We the People," the second read "Never Forget," and the third was illegible at 70mph. I wonder if these are the same people I saw at a rest stop in the DC area who were gathering to take part in the Great Trucker Siege.

This has been on my mind lately: Horseshoe theory assets that the extreme right and left are more similar than they are different because both extremes are authoritarian. But increasingly I find that extremists of all kinds blend together for the exact opposite reason; they tend to exhibit an ill-defined, poorly-considered mistrust of any kind of authority at all. I'm not just talking about fringe conspiracy theorists I read about online, but people I encounter every day. I find political slogans and political small talk a lot more alienating than a clear statement I disagree with, because it's so dominated by these ambiguous, negative generalities.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That theory sounds really dumb - there's nothing to say that moderates can't be or aren't authoritarian, and it doesn't take into account people who are explicitly anti-authoritarian (like anarchists, both on the left and right). And who defines who's "moderate"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There are people who have real information, and people who don't. There are lots of people on the left and on the right who don't, and a bunch of ignoramuses who can't possibly be assigned to any point on the political spectrum who outnumber the ideological ones by a factor of ten at least.

Halloween Jack posted:

I find political slogans and political small talk a lot more alienating than a clear statement I disagree with, because it's so dominated by these ambiguous, negative generalities.

If you refute these people's "points" and provide real, sourced information, watch their eyes glaze over as they blurt out "it's all corrupt anyway."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hasters posted:

You mean a four year old device got slower with a new OS? It's like it's processing power is somehow less than the iPad Air? How dare Apple give you new features for free!

New features that cripple your device are not welcome features. If Microsoft distributed a software update that made motherboards produced before 2013 essentially unusable, people would be pissed. But when Apple does something equivalent, that's okay, and I'm in the wrong for expecting Apple to not break my device?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Guys Mathematica runs slowly on my 486, this is a fuckin' conspiracy :mad:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Guys Mathematica runs slowly on my 486, this is a fuckin' conspiracy :mad:

An apt comparison, if Mathematica were an operating system, and if Wolfram pushed mandatory hardware-obsoleting software updates

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

An apt comparison, if Mathematica were an operating system, and if Wolfram pushed mandatory hardware-obsoleting software updates

My 3G ran fine forever, you must have hosed yours up on purpose.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

New features that cripple your device are not welcome features. If Microsoft distributed a software update that made motherboards produced before 2013 essentially unusable, people would be pissed. But when Apple does something equivalent, that's okay, and I'm in the wrong for expecting Apple to not break my device?

No one forced you to install the update, if you want to stay on 5.x forever go for it; however if you do don't bitch because the rest of the world moved on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

QuarkJets posted:

It's not like you could undo the upgrade either.

Because Mathematica doesn't have a functioning undo system.

This has not caused me annoyance earlier this evening, why do you ask?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SedanChair posted:

My 3G ran fine forever, you must have hosed yours up on purpose.

Yup, whenever I install an OS software update I expect it to make my hardware unusable with no way to revert and no recourse. This is reasonable. There are definitely not going to be users who expect their hardware to work as well as it did before the update, that would be crazy.

Apple is the light

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

QuarkJets posted:

Yup, whenever I install an OS software update I expect it to make my hardware unusable with no way to revert and no recourse. This is reasonable. There are definitely not going to be users who expect their hardware to work as well as it did before the update, that would be crazy.

Apple is the light

911 was an inside job, bar codes are the mark of the beast, and this is a dumb derail.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Apple is the light

The best was when I had a mandatory PS3 update crap out mid-way and then the PS3 stopped working, with Sony 'offering' to fix it for $100. :japan:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's more about apple not giving a gently caress about people who haven't bought a new phone in 4 years rather than some plot to force people to line up and buy new phones release day.

JUst, loving android users I know get really loving smug every time a new iPhone comes out, as if their choice of consumer product is the moral, and rebellious choice. "I've never seen anyone line up for an Galaxy :smug:". More Androids are sold than iphones, so I'm not sure what is going on. But yea, that smugness turns into an honest belief that Apple is programing into all iOS's an obsolescence to force everyone to go out and spend $600 on a new phone on release day.

Anyways, this is the craziest thing I've seen in the CT FB group i'm in
http://i.imgur.com/O9sCUSL.jpg

I reciginzed the name as being the scientist who the Nation of Islam claims created white people, but the rest is just :psyduck: I wish it was a bigger image, but someone pointed out Koran is spelt the english way, so yea that doesn't work.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fanboys are loving terrible no matter where you find them, no surprise there. I can't believe that people would make up conspiracy theory garbage about loving phones of all things

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

twistedmentat posted:

It's more about apple not giving a gently caress about people who haven't bought a new phone in 4 years rather than some plot to force people to line up and buy new phones release day.

JUst, loving android users I know get really loving smug every time a new iPhone comes out, as if their choice of consumer product is the moral, and rebellious choice. "I've never seen anyone line up for an Galaxy :smug:". More Androids are sold than iphones, so I'm not sure what is going on. But yea, that smugness turns into an honest belief that Apple is programing into all iOS's an obsolescence to force everyone to go out and spend $600 on a new phone on release day.

Anyways, this is the craziest thing I've seen in the CT FB group i'm in
http://i.imgur.com/O9sCUSL.jpg

I reciginzed the name as being the scientist who the Nation of Islam claims created white people, but the rest is just :psyduck: I wish it was a bigger image, but someone pointed out Koran is spelt the english way, so yea that doesn't work.

Looks like a pretty sweet character sheet.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Fanboys are loving terrible no matter where you find them, no surprise there. I can't believe that people would make up conspiracy theory garbage about loving phones of all things

How on earth is it a conspiracy theory that Apple wants people to buy new iphones? Why would apple even consider to make older iphones run as smoothly as possible? Tons of people buy new iphones when their old ones run like poo poo. That's not a conspiracy theory.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cebrail posted:

How on earth is it a conspiracy theory that Apple wants people to buy new iphones? Why would apple even consider to make older iphones run as smoothly as possible? Tons of people buy new iphones when their old ones run like poo poo. That's not a conspiracy theory.

It's an idea that they are purposely bricking peoples phones just so they can force people to buy new ones, rather than just not giving a poo poo about old phones.

It's a whole "do not attribute things to malice when they can be attributed to laziness" thing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

But nobody said that they were purposefully bricking phones. All that fanboying for nothing :(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

It's a whole "do not attribute things to malice when they can be attributed to laziness" thing.

Yes but it's more exciting if I'm the only one of my friends that knows the truth about their slave phone.

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's also people who assume since you no longer have to do easy but frequent maintenance poo poo in cars, that it means the cars must be bad and impossible to repair. Maybe Ford should start introducing dummy carbeurators to please those people.

It's not like there's a shortage of old cars out there anyway. They can go buy a 60's Ford or Chevy in almost perfect shape for less than a new Fiesta and have all the daily maintenance they want.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
edit, dp

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir Tonk posted:

Yes but it's more exciting if I'm the only one of my friends that knows the truth about their slave phone.

And they were the one who resisted the evils of marketing to buy the underdog phone (ignore that androids far outsell iPhones). My friend who was honestly surprised my phone was still working after updating always talks about "marketing" that way.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

If planned obsolescence is a conspiracy theory, it's the only one I can sorta buy. Like, have none of you used any computers or laptops long enough to see them break? You'd think we'd be at a point where we can make laptops that last longer than five years, but they all either start seeing the body break down (two of my laptops had the plastic around the hinges crack and break off despite gentle use) or the screen fall apart (another one had the lcd screen develop an internal crack out of the blue one day and by the end of the week was pretty much non-functional). Like, computer parts pretty clearly have a limited lifespan. Is it really a conspiracy theory to say that computer manufacturers are aware of this and continue to use such parts rather than develop ones which could feasibly last decades or more?

Like, I mean, if it's cheaper to use lovely parts and your competition is going to use lovely parts as well to make more money, then in a capitalistic system it's almost expected of you to also use lovely parts to make sure your competition doesn't get an edge on the profit-margin game. That you'd be selling fewer machines if computers lasted longer ties in pretty neatly to that, doesn't it? That's not a conspiracy theory so much as sensible business practice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nation of Islam started as a UFO religion that has only recently started working towards Shi'ite Orthodoxy. It has a lot of crazy stuff in it. It's like the Mormon version of Islam.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kit Walker posted:

If planned obsolescence is a conspiracy theory, it's the only one I can sorta buy. Like, have none of you used any computers or laptops long enough to see them break? You'd think we'd be at a point where we can make laptops that last longer than five years, but they all either start seeing the body break down (two of my laptops had the plastic around the hinges crack and break off despite gentle use) or the screen fall apart (another one had the lcd screen develop an internal crack out of the blue one day and by the end of the week was pretty much non-functional). Like, computer parts pretty clearly have a limited lifespan. Is it really a conspiracy theory to say that computer manufacturers are aware of this and continue to use such parts rather than develop ones which could feasibly last decades or more?

Like, I mean, if it's cheaper to use lovely parts and your competition is going to use lovely parts as well to make more money, then in a capitalistic system it's almost expected of you to also use lovely parts to make sure your competition doesn't get an edge on the profit-margin game. That you'd be selling fewer machines if computers lasted longer ties in pretty neatly to that, doesn't it? That's not a conspiracy theory so much as sensible business practice.

They sell computers that last decades or more, they also cost 10x - 100x what you're paying for your dell shitbox. That's not a conspiracy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shbobdb posted:

Nation of Islam started as a UFO religion that has only recently started working towards Shi'ite Orthodoxy. It has a lot of crazy stuff in it. It's like the Mormon version of Islam.
Sonsyrea Tate's Little X is a pretty engaging and entertaining look at what it was like to grow up in the NOI in the 70s-80s. A lot of her family grew out of the NOI and into mainstream Islam, but of particular interest is her mother, who went from NOI to Sunni to Scientology.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Zachack posted:

I'm quoting this because I'm a few episodes in and it's really bananas. It just blasts barely connected factoids and flashing images with crazy talking head speakers (some over webcam or with a webcam effect). What makes it so different from other sorts of shows like this (that I've seen) is that it seems to have zero interest in pretending at verification; it's literally "the Montauk Monster is a government experiment from this nearby island. Did you know that this island is similar in shape to another island some Nazi doctor the US brought over post-WW2 liked? Well he also liked ticks, so this place may be from where lyme disease came from. Remember Tuskeegee? What happens when some new killer disease gets loose?" The episodes seem to bleed into each other because at some point it decided to talk about mind control but I could swear that was at the beginning of the disease episode where they connect mad cow disease to creating, literally, an "army of zombies". And I could swear it mentioned HAARP before talking about how Nostradamus predicted that James Cameron (Avatar) funding asteroid mining would result in a man-made cataclysm.

Here's the link for US viewers! Also inside: lovely effects!

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80001420?trkid=13462100

I was looking through new stuff on Netflix and I see that now they have "Unsealed: Alien Files"! It's the exact same as the old show, just with a focus on aliens. It's as hilariously credulous as the previous show, too. I've only watched the first episode so I have yet to see how much footage they reuse throughout the series. I liked how they insisted that Jefferson Souza (the guy who supposedly authored the Blue Planet alien encyclopedia) was bumped off by the government for nefarious reasons, but they also admit that no one's ever talked to him or met him or knew anything about his whereabouts before his death/disappearance/abduction by reptilians.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

duz posted:

They sell computers that last decades or more, they also cost 10x - 100x what you're paying for your dell shitbox. That's not a conspiracy.

Yes, that would be exactly what I'm saying, I agree.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I still use my single core (!) midrange 2006 desktop with Windows XP and it runs plenty of things quite well. Plenty of people have to get new computers all the time because they wind up loaded with malware and reformatting is esoteric knowledge compared to just buying a new one.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
And computers are so drat cheap these days anyway. They were thousands of dollars in the 90's (assuming you didn't build it yourself). That $2000 Acer PC from '95 would cost over three grand now, but it's under a thousand with monitor and is ridiculously powerful in comparison.

Kit Walker posted:

If planned obsolescence is a conspiracy theory.

It doesn't even have to be planned in a literal sense, the US is just at a point where most electronics and appliances cost less to replace than fix.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

twistedmentat posted:

It's an idea that they are purposely bricking peoples phones just so they can force people to buy new ones, rather than just not giving a poo poo about old phones.

They aren't purposely bricking phones, they're just designing new iOS updates with only the newest devices in mind and if it works with old devices ok, if it doesn't well then I guess you're SOL.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Evil Fluffy posted:

They aren't purposely bricking phones, they're just designing new iOS updates with only the newest devices in mind and if it works with old devices ok, if it doesn't well then I guess you're SOL.

Sure it's not bricked, but all the updates are focused on the new operating system so a lot of apps you were used to get more buggy the older your operating system is.

They release a new phone every year and phase out one phone every year. This year was the 4, next will be the 4S.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

This. Apple is just a poo poo company that does not care about their customers in the long term and you have to keep that in mind if you're gonna buy their products. People are too used to getting long term support from software makers like Microsoft and Apple doesn't operate that way. It's not a conspiracy, it's just that their attitude toward newer software and OS versions loving over older products can be summed up in two words: gently caress. Off.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ah the Nation of Islam,

If you're ever in Chicago, drive down the Stoney Island, when you stop at the light under the ramp in the center of the road that goes up to 90, there will usually be Nation of Islam proselytizers in suits there. Mosque Maryam is right on the stoney island, one can't miss it. Anyway depending on the time of year they'll be handing out pamphlets, or might selling a Nation of Islam newspaper, or might even if you are very, very, lucky, just might, be selling pies to raise money.

The pie was quite good. But I'm not sure what they made of me buying one, I am very white, was basically dressed like a bearded hobo at the time, in a vehicle that looked like it had just driven through a crowd (iron ore dripped off a conveyor belt onto a vehicle can look like copious dried blood splatter.)

Edit: They're also responsible for the phenomenon of south-side turkeyque, which also worth trying.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Here in Oakland you'll see people selling shirts that say, "My Nation's capital is in Chicago" and the like. When I lived in NYC and Indianapolis, the proselytizers wouldn't talk to white people but here in Oakland they talk to everybody. Though that might be because people often think my wife is mixed. She isn't but the "one drop rule" makes people think that maybe she is because she has some serious junk in her trunk.

• Locked thread