Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Teleglitch is on sale at GMG for 3.25. Whenever I look at the game I always think it looks like rear end, but is it fun to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Justin_Brett posted:

Teleglitch is on sale at GMG for 3.25. Whenever I look at the game I always think it looks like rear end, but is it fun to play?

God almighty yes

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Justin_Brett posted:

it does look like rear end. it is locked to 30fps and there is screen tearing (i turned on the scan lines option to help cover that up). it is fun though. and difficult.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gauntlet is out. I paid $3 for it and I can't imagine how it could be any good even for that price. :ohdear:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Awesome! posted:

no they straight up tell you on the info pages for the new stuff that hitting "not interested" doesn't change the recommendations in any way

:laffo: Fair enough

Also, for the people who bought the Watch_Dogs season pass, the T-Bone DLC, Bad Blood, is now available to play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Awesome! posted:

no they straight up tell you on the info pages for the new stuff that hitting "not interested" doesn't change the recommendations in any way

This is actually a smart move since they have that community-curated tag system in which people can give wildly inappropriate labels for games. So you may poo-poo a game that someone incorrectly labeled "adventure", and then Steam would stop recommending adventure games just because you didn't want Infestation: Survivor Stories or whatever. Some games even have a poo poo-ton of labels so if you said no to a bunch of those then you'd just stop getting recommendations altogether.

As of right now the whole thing is as bad as Netflix but at least Netflix doesn't allow the users to define categories for their stuff.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
Somebody tell me Defense Grid 2 is good so that I can buy it thanks

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

Gauntlet is out. I paid $3 for it and I can't imagine how it could be any good even for that price. :ohdear:

How did you pay $3 for it?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What does it stand for?

"Toki Tori" means "fat time bird" in japanese.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

How did you pay $3 for it?

Playfire credit.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ddraig posted:

So I'm on a bit of an RPG kick with Wasteland 2 and want to buy either that new Shadowrun game or that new Dungeon Crawler (Elinmage?)

I take it the Shadowrun game is way more polished and the latter can probably wait for a major sale at which point it will be up to snuff, I guess?

I don't really have a problem with janky games, to be honest, I think they're fun (Two Worlds is one of my favorite games ever) so I'm rather torn.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut is pretty fantastic.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/ Underrail is an :siren:Early Access title:siren: but has a very heavy Fallout 1/2 vibe to it. I didn't hit the current content wall after 12 hours of loving around with just one character. Only :10bux:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Drifter posted:

Probably get Shadowrun Dargon Fall DC then, but honestly Wasteland 2 is by far the superior game. Check out Divinity: Original Sin if you want a newer rpg, whose strengths lie in different areas compared to Wasteland 2.

Out of them all I'd actually recommend you go with Expeditions: Conquistador before going with Shadowrun [unless they REALLY significantly changed what's under the systems hood, but it doesn't seem like it] (I'd recommend Expeditions over Original Sin for the writing and style, but OS has some pretty amazing systems in place, so it's not fair to compare them).

You should also look into Anachronox. Actually, ANYBODY gazing with some sort of interest at FF13 (you poor bastards) should get Anachronox. Actually, EVERYBODY should get Anachronox.

Hey, I'm all about the Anachronox. Played that game to death back in the day.

The I've heard very good things about Expeditions, but I guess I'm not really in the mood for that kind of setting at the moment.

Yeah, yeah I know I'm being rather shallow but Shadowrun as a concept has always rather appealed to me thanks to the weird setting so I'm kind of leaning towards that at the moment.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Orv posted:

It's made by the Magicka guys so I've got hope.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Croccers posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/ Underrail is an :siren:Early Access title:siren: but has a very heavy Fallout 1/2 vibe to it. I didn't hit the current content wall after 12 hours of loving around with just one character. Only :10bux:
you have already done better for me than 2 days of steam recommendations

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Ddraig posted:

Hey, I'm all about the Anachronox. Played that game to death back in the day.

The I've heard very good things about Expeditions, but I guess I'm not really in the mood for that kind of setting at the moment.

Yeah, yeah I know I'm being rather shallow but Shadowrun as a concept has always rather appealed to me thanks to the weird setting so I'm kind of leaning towards that at the moment.

Have you actually finished Wasteland 2? It's a really, really long game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Awesome! posted:

you have already done better for me than 2 days of steam recommendations
Am I a better curator than this guy?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I hope y'all playing Wasteland 2 instead of me because I had to separate myself from PC due to college starting :(

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vodos posted:

Have you actually finished Wasteland 2? It's a really, really long game.

No! I'm still in Arizona because I'm really taking my time to appreciate the game and it's awesome setting.

I guess I'm just really looking for something to be a bit of a break from the awesomeness that is Wasteland 2 because I don't want to burn myself out on it, like I have with so many other games, and never go back to it because it's an incredible game.

The way I'm playing at the moment is fun (basically my own grognard rules, where I don't reload unless I get a total party wipe) but it does lead to a few moments where I sort of alt-f4 because I feel slightly crushed (like, I gently caress up and accidentally riddle my surgeon with a full clip from my AK) and because I'm a giant manchild with nothing better to do I'd like to chill out with a different game when that happens because my life revolves around vidya games.

e: I would say I had more money than sense but Wasteland 2 is so incredible it's worth every penny.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 23, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

The Kins posted:

WWE 2k15 has been sneakily announced for PC, and thus probably for Steam. That'll put a lot of butts in seats...

If I can rap as Jhon Cena, it's day 1.

~Rapadoo~

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm sort of surprised to see such an apparently un-tested UI change from Valve of all companies. The ones who test their games repeatedly on every random idiot they can find until they smooth out every tiny bump. Didn't they realize that UI changes are even more divisive and rage inducing than map design in games? Just odd. It's like they hired a crap marketing department to design this and then never tested it at all.

Also, automated recommendation systems are never not stupid. You have to have a human brain behind it. If they really want to make this useful, they just need to be asking users straight up 'what other games would you recommend to people who play X?' and then aggregating all those answers. That's the only way to get a smart system. Automated systems just say 'you played a game with dungeon in the title here are 500 other games with dungeon in the title herp derp'

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

For some reason I really hate Toki Tori and everything it stands for.

I'm really glad I'm not alone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I only really look hard at the Steam front page at winter/summer sales time and the design changes for those anyway

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm sort of surprised to see such an apparently un-tested UI change from Valve of all companies.

Valve isn't exactly a bastion of hardcore quality control and are basically notorious at this point for being super slow/lazy do develop anything, even basic things like mobile apps or Steam library features.

I think it's perfectly in character.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Orv posted:

Gauntlet legends on N64 was my life as a kid, so tell me how this new one is please!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay I officially like the new design

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mung Dynasty posted:

Valve isn't exactly a bastion of hardcore quality control and are basically notorious at this point for being super slow/lazy do develop anything, even basic things like mobile apps or Steam library features.

This is sort of at odds with the director's commentary of Half-Life 2 et al where they basically throw the game at the biggest bunch of idiots they can find and tune their releases based on that. It's sort of depressing because I consider their games good, but they could be substantially better if they didn't try to pander to the lowest common denominator and dumb down everything because a playtester was an idiot and kept running around in circles.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Okay I officially like the new design

Why does it recommend games you already own?

You DO own that game don't you...?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

Gauntlet legends on N64 was my life as a kid, so tell me how this new one is please!

As someone who dumped something like a thousand dollars into a Gauntlet Legends cabinet, this appears to be some Gauntlet-rear end Gauntlet. At least enough so that I am pleasantly surprised, compared to my bedrock expectations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eruonen posted:

Why does it recommend games you already own?

You DO own that game don't you...?
It will recommend games you own as a way of saying "hey you dumb gently caress you own this cool game and you didn't even play it. you dumb poo poo. what the gently caress are you doing. with your life"

But I don't own EYE yet. I will eventually cause they put it on sale for 99 cents every month

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't like that I have to scroll past even more useless crap to see what's on sale. Why would I ever care about the curator stuff?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So are curators basically like the billion lists on IMDB where people list "25 Must See Action movies!" or some poo poo?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's exactly what curators are. DO they get a cut of any profit off sales if you click through them, like amazon stuff?

Oh hey, Kentucky Route Zero is on sale.

They're never going to finish that game, are they? Goddammit guys, put out the last episode so I can finally buy and play the drat thing. I don't do :airquote:episodic:airquote:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So are curators basically like the billion lists on IMDB where people list "25 Must See Action movies!" or some poo poo?

Yes.

Orv posted:

It can't be that bad, can it? :ohdear:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Looking past the UI changes, these are coming out in the next soon:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/302440/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/273730/

The Roadside Assistance one actually looks like a game from the screenshots.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Honestly I'm getting pretty sick of a lot of little things in Wasteland 2. Like no fast travel, or aimed shots and stuff like

oh poo poo Gauntlet is out!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm interested in streaming pc games from my wife's pc to my mac pro. I assume my video card doesn't need to be awesome, does it? Also, people on YouTube are talking about needing fast Internet, but isn't it all done via LAN?

Also, if we've shared libraries, do I still need to be logged in to my acct on both machines?

I just wanna play Skyrim/Fallout New Vegas with mods aplenty.

Man, this thread moves fast. Any help?

Also, is there any way to filter recommended games per system?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Without spoilering it, what is the new content in Director's Cut of Shadowrun : Dragon Fall. I tried the original game but kept getting my poo poo clocked during the AI mission.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Honestly I'm getting pretty sick of a lot of little things in Wasteland 2. Like no fast travel, or aimed shots and stuff like

oh poo poo Gauntlet is out!
Lack of fast travel is what killed batman arkham blackgate for me. Developers!! Hours of backtracking is actually not fun!! It's actually boring as poo poo!!!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Mung Dynasty posted:

Yeah, Valve will test the poo poo out of their games before they ship, but when it comes to fixing Steam or managing support, they're incredibly lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orv posted:

As someone who dumped something like a thousand dollars into a Gauntlet Legends cabinet, this appears to be some Gauntlet-rear end Gauntlet. At least enough so that I am pleasantly surprised, compared to my bedrock expectations.

Yeah, I've been watching streams yesterday and today and it's Gauntlet as gently caress.

I also like the mastery poo poo, where you get rewarded for achievements both good (getting big chains of kills with Thyra's Shield Throw extends its range) and bad (shooting food makes it where if you shoot food you get a small amount of pity gold instead).

Also the co-oPvP element of the crown and stealing people's gold on death are hilarious.

• Locked thread