Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Love me some Ultramax. Looks like you got pretty good detail in the shadows though, how did you meter it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Anybody know why those marks appear when developing?

I had this happen some time ago to one roll but forgot about it, and now it happened again, but only to the last 3 or 4 expositions in the roll. Since it's closer to the end of the roll I'm thinking slightly strong agitation (I spin the spinny thing for agitation). Or something else entirely?

DSC08355 by Hernando Rosa, on Flickr

It's HP5+@1600 on rodinal 1+50 for 24 minutes, if that matters.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That looks like bent film, to me.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah that's what it looks like when you crease the film loading it onto the reel.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Oh, it did happen by the end of the roll. Mistery solved them :pseudo: . Thanks guys.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Primo Itch posted:

Oh, it did happen by the end of the roll. Mistery solved them :pseudo: . Thanks guys.

if it's any consolation, I actually like how it looks in this case

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

deaders posted:

Love me some Ultramax. Looks like you got pretty good detail in the shadows though, how did you meter it?

Metered normally at ISO 400, I think I gave it +1/3 or +2/3 though, because I was shooting into the sunset glint of the building.
Also this Ultramax is fresh, so that probably helps, too.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Dumb question. I have some random rolls of 100 ektar lying around, that haven't been refrigerated for the last... lets say 2 -3 years. That stuff still good to shoot at box speed?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It should be fine. Shoot the first roll at 80 and see what happens.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Given that Ektar is slow negative film, I doubt that you need to do anything special with it. I just got some decade-old, unrefrigerated Portra 400 NC back that I shot at box speed, and it didn't appear to care at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Putrid Grin posted:

Dumb question. I have some random rolls of 100 ektar lying around, that haven't been refrigerated for the last... lets say 2 -3 years. That stuff still good to shoot at box speed?

Definitely.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TheJeffers posted:

Given that Ektar is slow negative film, I doubt that you need to do anything special with it. I just got some decade-old, unrefrigerated Portra 400 NC back that I shot at box speed, and it didn't appear to care at all.

Portra is sorcery, though, you could leave a roll of it on top of a cabinet for twenty years and it'd probably still be fine.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

mr. stefan posted:

Portra is sorcery, though, you could leave a roll of it on top of a cabinet for twenty years and it'd probably still be fine.

I'm starting to get the hang of Portra myself. 400 or bust though.

Umbertide (Rocca) by maxmars70, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I underexposed by 5 stops once on Portra 400 (no battery in my camera...) and I still got a somewhat usable image :snoop:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
unpacked robinhood, your weird old film has arrived!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah, this. I actually really like how mistreated Portra looks, so all my rolls are just hanging out on a shelf by the window. I can still shoot like 2-3 stops underexposed and get some great shots.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, this. I actually really like how mistreated Portra looks, so all my rolls are just hanging out on a shelf by the window. I can still shoot like 2-3 stops underexposed and get some great shots.

god drat, I can't wait to play with Porta film

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I'm going to hold off buying a scanner (if I'm going to do it, I want to get a good one)....when you guys have a shop develop and scan your film, do you request it to be scanned in RAW? Seems to be the more expensive way to go, but obviously gives you some more flexibility.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There's technically no such thing as a RAW scan. You just scan at 16-bit per channel and save it as a tif. VueScan has a RAW mode but all it does is put the tif in a dng container.

You will get way better results scanning at home vs going to a low cost lab. You can get a decent used scanner for under $100

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

There's technically no such thing as a RAW scan. You just scan at 16-bit per channel and save it as a tif. VueScan has a RAW mode but all it does is put the tif in a dng container.

You will get way better results scanning at home vs going to a low cost lab. You can get a decent used scanner for under $100

The V400 or whatever?

I guess it's obviously more rewarding going through the whole process yourself (and quicker).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I dunno about quicker. I've been scanning my 35mm at 3200 dpi with 16-bit channels, and it takes me a good 2.5 hours to get through one roll. I use the included Epson Scan software, and I take a few minutes to tweak the black/white points and stuff for each batch of negatives.

I guess it's not too bad if you just put something on Netflix, or otherwise do something that can be interrupted every 15-20 minutes while you swap out negatives and make tweaks to the scans.

Edit: I also use digital ICE on them. Don't remember how much time you save with it off, though I think I'd still prefer it to cloning out all the dust in Lightroom.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 23, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

404notfound posted:

I dunno about quicker. I've been scanning my 35mm at 3200 dpi with 16-bit channels, and it takes me a good 2.5 hours to get through one roll. I use the included Epson Scan software, and I take a few minutes to tweak the black/white points and stuff for each batch of negatives.

I guess it's not too bad if you just put something on Netflix, or otherwise do something that can be interrupted every 15-20 minutes while you swap out negatives and make tweaks to the scans.

Edit: I also use digital ICE on them. Don't remember how much time you save with it off, though I think I'd still prefer it to cloning out all the dust in Lightroom.

It must be ICE then. I scanned one roll yesterday evening while watching "Rush", which is exactly two hours long. 7200 DPI resized to 3600 (which IMHO gives you the best compromise between grain, resolution and file size) directly in VueScan. Plustek OpticFilm 8100. I think you should be able to do it more quickly with a flatbed scanner (and ICE turned off?).

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ExecuDork posted:

unpacked robinhood, your weird old film has arrived!

:tipshat:
I hope you get something cool out of it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

more rewarding going through the whole process yourself (and quicker).
Hahahaha no. Scanning film with a flatbed or drum takes loving ages. "Scanning" with a DSLR and a macro lens isn't so bad.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahaha no. Scanning film with a flatbed or drum takes loving ages. "Scanning" with a DSLR and a macro lens isn't so bad.

That's what beer is for.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If you are only gonna ever do 35mm, get a cheap dedicated scanner like a Minolta or Nikon. If you ever want to do med or large format then flat bed is the way to go.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

If you are only gonna ever do 35mm, get a cheap dedicated scanner like a Minolta or Nikon. If you ever want to do med or large format then flat bed is the way to go.

yeah, I think I'd probably end up going down the medium format road since that seems to be the natural progression. I'd rather just buy once instead of ended up with a bunch of poo poo I won't use. I don't mind the time with scanning. It's not like you have to stare at it while the scan is happening.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

yeah, I think I'd probably end up going down the medium format road since that seems to be the natural progression. I'd rather just buy once instead of ended up with a bunch of poo poo I won't use. I don't mind the time with scanning. It's not like you have to stare at it while the scan is happening.

Well then get a v500 with plans for a v700 if you find the quality of the scans lacking after you learn what you are doing, that's what most of us have done.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
If you're committed to film, just buy a V700. Even if you're just scanning 35mm it's appreciably better than a V500/V600.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you're committed to film, just buy a V700. Even if you're just scanning 35mm it's appreciably better than a V500/V600.

yeah, that's my thought with the whole "I don't want to buy twice".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are there any film scanners that use the sprocket holes on 35mm to automatically load the negatives? Seems like you could just feed in your strip of film and it could generally detect where each exposure starts/stops, although the user might have to help it get the first exposure lined up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pukestain Pal posted:

yeah, that's my thought with the whole "I don't want to buy twice".

Then get a v700 or one of the older equivalent models. It's pretty much the best sub5k scanner you can get for multiple formats.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any film scanners that use the sprocket holes on 35mm to automatically load the negatives? Seems like you could just feed in your strip of film and it could generally detect where each exposure starts/stops, although the user might have to help it get the first exposure lined up.

Comedy option: the Lomo smartphone scanner does exactly this.

The results out of their app are terrible, but you can get good "feeling lazy, just need web resolution anyways" scans out of it if you work with it. Just take the pictures straight (or better, use a compact digital, preferably in RAW mode) and process the files like you would out of any other scanner. Think of it like a slide duplicator with an unreasonably tiny aperture.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been shooting film for the first time in ages and I want to see what I've got but I'm scared my dev is probably no good any more. I have the Tetenal C-41 kit and I've used about half the rolls it's rated for but it's been mixed up for a good 4 or 5 months now, stored in plastic bottles with most of the air squeezed out in a darkish box . Any easy way I can check it won't gently caress up my beautiful Portra or should I just dev a sacrificial roll of something cheap I don't care about first?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The pakon f135 does that. We chatted about it a few pages back, but it'll scan a whole roll of 35mm with ICE in 3-4 minutes.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Mightaswell posted:

The pakon f135 does that. We chatted about it a few pages back, but it'll scan a whole roll of 35mm with ICE in 3-4 minutes.

Stop recommending this scanner, I'm afraid it will go out of stock forever before I get around to buying my own.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'd recommend the Better Scanning glass inserts if you're anywhere near as bad as me for getting bowed negatives. It turns out that properly scanned 35mm is way sharper than I thought it was.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

I'd recommend the Better Scanning glass inserts if you're anywhere near as bad as me for getting bowed negatives. It turns out that properly scanned 35mm is way sharper than I thought it was.

On the other hand I didn't notice a big improvement with flat negs. It ended up being a huge hassle because of the amount of dust that would get trapped between the glass and the negative.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Been shooting a lot of film recently.

23740034 by kgao1989, on Flickr

4772000_4772000-R1-042-19A by kgao1989, on Flickr

23740013 by kgao1989, on Flickr

How long do you think small-format film is going to last? For me I think the biggest advantages of film are the smoother highlight transitions, and the ability to shoot full frame without paying a hideously expensive amount for a DSLR with full frame capabilities. I feel like the dynamic range of film and non-linear response to light are nice, but that advantage is going away as DSLRs get better.

I love the all-metal, solid and compact construction of a well-built 35mm camera. To me the excessive buttons and techno-crap on plastic fantastic DSLRs don't even come close to the joy I get from the all-metal precision of a leica or even consumer grade 35mm camera. But it does make me very sad to see the amount of film labs dwindling. Of course medium and large format film will not go away in the near future, but what will happen to our beloved 35mm cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

Now I really want one of these. Can they scan the usual 5-exposure strips, or does it need to be a whole roll?

Yond Cassius posted:

Comedy option: the Lomo smartphone scanner does exactly this.

The results out of their app are terrible, but you can get good "feeling lazy, just need web resolution anyways" scans out of it if you work with it. Just take the pictures straight (or better, use a compact digital, preferably in RAW mode) and process the files like you would out of any other scanner. Think of it like a slide duplicator with an unreasonably tiny aperture.

I saw some reviews that had Lomo-quality (read: poo poo) samples, but others that had some relatively nice-looking scans from a Lomo smartphone scanner. But for $60, I might just be better off buying a used macro lens for the DSLR.