Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Ok thanks for the replies on FFXIII. Maybe if it comes up in a deep sale or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zeron posted:

Except for the part where no, Sunrider is not a good game(yet). The combat system has potential, but it's in obvious beta and there are only a couple of fights in the game anyway. The story certainly isn't anything special, and the game as a whole is incredibly short. It has potential in a way off in the future possibly kind of way, but as it is now it's not really worth playing unless you somehow have a clear backlog.

Nope. It's a fine game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Darkhold posted:

Ok thanks for the replies on FFXIII. Maybe if it comes up in a deep sale or something.

It's worth noting that the sequels to XIII are more open-ended and generally fix the major issues XIII had. They're also batshit insane and stupid, but if you're cool with that they're worth checking out.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

It's worth noting that the sequels to XIII are more open-ended and generally fix the major issues XIII had. They're also batshit insane and stupid, but if you're cool with that they're worth checking out.

Do you need to know the story of the first?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eruonen posted:

Even if you play it, it won't make sense. Just scan the wiki or something, really.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you don't feel a thrill behind the controls of a finely tuned locomotive, you might not be alive my friend.

I just literally rode on Thomas the Train - what a thrill that was.

Darkhold posted:

It's $12 if you grab it here: http://getgamesgo.com/product/final-fantasy-xiii

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Eruonen posted:

It retcons basically everything that happened in the first game so not really. Like you'll be confused if you don't know, but you'll be even more confused if you do know.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd be surprised if any FFXIII variant's story could be as bad as the story in Kingdom Hearts 2

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

Even if you play it, it won't make sense. Just scan the wiki or something, really.

Even better, Square Enix made a video to promote Lightning Returns that summaries the plot of FFXIII and XIII-2 using Final Fantasy VI style sprites. Just turn it off once the XIII parts ends if you don't want to see spoilers for XIII-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrBSO74DzA

There also a excellent LP by Artix going on for the game too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621459

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not a problem with the algorithm and more a long, long-term problem that Steam has had in defining its genres. Those games are listed in the Steam database as "Adventure" games. Just like Tomb Raider and I think Far Cry 3 are considered "Adventure" games. I hope they eventually do recommendations based on your preferred tags.

You have no idea how annoying it is, as a point n click adventure fan, to have to wade through shooters, platformers, and other genres in the "Adventure" category just to find actual adventure games. This has been a thing for years.

Absolutely agree with this. The best chance I have is if the "about the game" section from the developer has the text "point-and-click" and comes up in the search, variants of course falling through the cracks. I want to search full length write-ups from reviewers and feature descriptions from the developers. Let the devs categorize the game or pull it from all the reviews rather than just lovely tagging from people who think they are funny. Surely there were better data categorization mechanisms to implement rather than this (and then using said bad data for recommendations).

Also, I don't want a twitter-length curator response as the tagging mechanism, or even the front and center first thing you read about the game.

For example, check out Gone Home. Whatever you personally feel about the game, it is still a released game on Steam and deserves fair marketing for their product. But no, the developers get to have this gem as their first selling point for their game now:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'd be surprised if any FFXIII variant's story could be as bad as the story in Kingdom Hearts 2

You have no idea.

FFXIII story is beyond stupid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shindragon posted:

FF story is beyond stupid.

FTFY.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

funakupo posted:

For example, check out Gone Home. Whatever you personally feel about the game, it is still a released game on Steam and deserves fair marketing for their product. But no, the developers get to have this gem as their first selling point for their game now:

Who the hell is this Youtube guy anyway? They have one of the highest amount of fans in the Curators so far.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Maybe they changed their site layout so people wouldn't notice this piece of crap.

Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 23, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I once knew a guy who legit told me, and 100% believed, that Final Fantasy X was the greatest love story ever written.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I once knew a guy who legit told me, and 100% believed, that Final Fantasy X was the greatest love story ever written.

He's crazy. It's clearly FF VIII.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Furry Transformation recommends: "Enjoyable games and software for furries or those interested in furries that feature transformation content"

:furcry:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Someone dig up the quote where a goon posted that unironically about FFVII.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Croccers posted:

Who the hell is this Youtube guy anyway? They have one of the highest amount of fans in the Curators so far.
I think that one is Northernlion, I think he is actually pretty chilled out and never have seen him rage or spout downright offensive things.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i knew a husband/wife who cried at the end of ffx

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Hogo Fogo posted:

Furry Transformation recommends: "Enjoyable games and software for furries or those interested in furries that feature transformation content"

:furcry:

Oh man that's actually a good point. Can a developer restrict curators from showing on their storefront? I mean if a specific group of users like the above were the first listing for Sonic All Star (good/bad example?), wouldn't that potentially risk a whole lot of sales by deterring buyers as to content?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Hello everyone. I know there have been a lot of people here getting into good anime games lately, such as Comic Maker ComiPo!, or Sakura Spirit. In order to help you all find more good anime games, I have created a curator page where i will tell you if a game has anime waifus in it, so that you can make an informed purchasing decision. Ganbatte, minnasan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

He's crazy. It's clearly FF VIII.

This man speaks truth. The monsters flying out from the moon was also symbolic of something, too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Awesome! posted:

i knew a husband/wife who cried at the end of ffx
There was this amazing post from some guy who cried at HL 2 and truly believed that Alyx was the best female character in the history of mankind and he was creating all sorts of homages to her in Garry's mod. He also whined about his brother laughing at him for all of that and going to the toilet during the cutscene when Dr. Vance dies. It was all in one post but I can't find it since I first read it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So the new Gauntlet is surprisingly good? It did catch my eye before but the relatively cheap price and complete lack of coverage gave me the impression it was going to be a stinker.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Hello everyone. I know there have been a lot of people here getting into good anime games lately, such as Comic Maker ComiPo!, or Sakura Spirit. In order to help you all find more good anime games, I have created a curator page where i will tell you if a game has anime waifus in it, so that you can make an informed purchasing decision. Ganbatte, minnasan.
You're no Is It Postal? :colbert:

I think that user has spammed the most games so far on Steam.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Darkhold posted:

So aside from the general JRPG hate how is FFXIII? I stopped playing the series at FF7 and was always curious about picking up one of the newer ones.

I'm ok with it being fairly linear (though I hear it's pretty much one long hallway? Is this accurate?) As long as the combat is fun.

It's quite tedious to be honest. Linear isn't really the problem as almost all Final Fantasies are very linear. It's more that the first 20 or so hours are like a tutorial, and are as tedious as a tutorial.

On top of that, the story is very forgettable. I genuinely can't remember what happened in it other than some ridiculous ending involving a giant crystal and that the main character was called Lightning and milked to death in various sequels and cameo appearances in other games. Oh and there's a black guy with an afro who lets a chocobo live in it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kin posted:

It's quite tedious to be honest. Linear isn't really the problem as almost all Final Fantasies are very linear. It's more that the first 20 or so hours are like a tutorial, and are as tedious as a tutorial.

On top of that, the story is very forgettable. I genuinely can't remember what happened in it other than some ridiculous ending involving a giant crystal and that the main character was called Lightning and milked to death in various sequels and cameo appearances in other games. Oh and there's a black guy with an afro who lets a chocobo live in it.

Not just a tutorial but there's no exploration until very late game and at that point it's just constant battles in a large but ultimately extremely boring field until you go back to linear hallways for the rest of the game.

I really couldn't ever see myself playing it again.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Kin posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the FF13 director described himself as actually in love with Lightning.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So the new Gauntlet is surprisingly good? It did catch my eye before but the relatively cheap price and complete lack of coverage gave me the impression it was going to be a stinker.

Way better than it has any right to be. Very good, even.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
FF 13 has one of the best battle systems that has ever been in an RPG. It also looks beautiful and has wonderful music, as well as challenging optional hunts, if you like to grind around and do 100% in an RPG.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

FF 13 has one of the best battle systems that has ever been in an RPG. It also looks beautiful and has wonderful music, as well as challenging optional hunts, if you like to grind around and do 100% in an RPG.

Agreed, and also, I'm in love with Lightning.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the FF13 director described himself as actually in love with Lightning.

These are from the Lightning Returns announcement video:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lance Streetman posted:

These are from the Lightning Returns announcement video:

Also this was posted in the Final Fantasy megathread. It's a picture at their HQ.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

He truly is the most dedicated to his waifu.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not just a tutorial but there's no exploration until very late game and at that point it's just constant battles in a large but ultimately extremely boring field until you go back to linear hallways for the rest of the game.

I really couldn't ever see myself playing it again.

Guh, thank you for reminding me why it's such a piece of crap. I remember when it first came out there were loads of people in the FF thread defending their purchase the piece of crap because it had some "legitimately good combat" or something.

I think i remember the equipment being random drops too or something right? Like in order to get the best weapons you had to collect a bunch of stuff that randomly dropped from enemies with like 0.5% drop rates in WoW or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

The battle system is pretty good until you realize that it's 1) all there actually is to the game and 2) limits your full potential until 20+ hours into the game and by that time you probably just want the game to end already.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I need to play it more when I feel better, but for $15 in a 4pack split it's definitely not a stinker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p72awb362Co

Purest Love
Feb 13, 2014

Huh, according to Steam.. Five Nights at Freddy's is a simulation game. It also really wants me to buy it, considering it keeps putting it in my recommended list.

Also, I'm shopping for a new game. Hatoful Boyfriend looks absolutely amazing, is it worth the price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Thank you. Someone had to do it.

• Locked thread