Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Ahahaha. For a moment you scared me thinking I had accidentally clicked on the Gunnerkrigg thread and ended my sabbatical from that comic early.

But no, seriously, CQ is a story about (a particular variety of) stories, and someone who doesn't have that kind of cultural literacy might not pick up on those themes. Imagine that you're reading CQ without having experienced more than a few of those narratives about chosen heroes and sealed evil and etcetcetc instead of dozens or hundreds. Like if, for example, you are a child and here is a webcomic with no actual violence or adult content or other stuff that maybe you found yourself or someone has recommended to you, and hey! lots of fun, but wouldn't a more straightforward thing about the original hero be cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is anyone else worried about why we haven't seen Nautilus in a while?

Also her character bio is gone: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/characters/ I know she used to have one, I remember there being a joke about her having rose colored glasses.

I think some meta-poo poo is going down right now. I think rose master has already kidnapped Nautilus and erased everyone's memory of her.

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-526/ It seems Rose master doesn't mess around when someone's a threat to her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Who?

Did you post in the wrong thread, buddy?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also her character bio is gone: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/characters/ I know she used to have one, I remember there being a joke about her having rose colored glasses.

I think some meta-poo poo is going down right now. I think rose master has already kidnapped Nautilus and erased everyone's memory of her.

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-526/ It seems Rose master doesn't mess around when someone's a threat to her.

What are you even talking about?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Why is this a thing? It is a stupid, stupid thing. There are no hints that Nautilus was captured and memory-erased. There is no fore-shadowing or confirmation of this except for Gigi's twitter feed. It is dumb.

My opinion stands. If a character is whisked away to never-land, it is generally best practice to include some kind of vaguely visible panel where this action takes place.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Squidster fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 23, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Squidster posted:

Why is this a thing? It is a stupid, stupid thing. There are no hints that Nautilus was captured and memory-erased. There is no fore-shadowing or confirmation of this except for Gigi's twitter feed. It is dumb.

Gee whiz, maybe it's something that will come up in a future panel. I guess we'll never know though, it's not like the chapter isn't finished.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Squidster posted:

My opinion stands. If a character is whisked away to never-land, it is generally best practice to include some kind of vaguely visible panel where this action takes place.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Who?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Squidster posted:

I get people are attached to their made up fan characters but just because you feel strongly about your creation doesn't mean the author should include it in their work. We can't all be beautiful imaginary princesses now, even if that would be super rad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A bunch of people seem to be getting confused about this lately, asking about a character that does exist nor has ever existed. I'm starting to wonder if there's some deeper context. Are we getting pranked?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
On an unrelated note, does anyone else find that scene in Chapter 1 where Cucumber is talking to himself on the beach incredibly confusing?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Squidster posted:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I think it's pretty cool.

Also: Today I learned that when I stop checking a thread for a while I should read the whole thing before posting.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bongo Bill posted:

A bunch of people seem to be getting confused about this lately, asking about a character that does exist nor has ever existed. I'm starting to wonder if there's some deeper context. Are we getting pranked?

A lot of people are just reading a lot into Gigi's comment on that one page suggesting that there might be a third princess besides Parfait and Piano. That's all.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm still upset about that random pizza crew coming to save the day for literally no reason, deus ex machina much??

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This is a worse running joke than pun chains.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Potsticker posted:

This is a worse running joke than pun chains.

When I first noticed that Nautilus had vanished not only from the comic but from the website and stuff, I was impressed because it seemed like the kind of gimmick that would really only work well in a webcomic and couldn't be done nearly to the same degree in a traditional print medium. It's really clever! But then people other than the author started going all "Nautilus who? Huh?" and now I just find the whole idea incredibly tiresome and I'm looking forward to when it gets to the point.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Goons have to fawn over her tho

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gamerofthegame posted:

Goons have to fawn over her tho

Haha, you think running with the joke is just a goon thing

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

get on with it gigi, lest I make some mean spirited edits

vvv you're forgiven, digi. for now. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

"Oh look a new character", I say as the current running gag forces its way out of me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Third Murderer posted:

now I just find the whole idea incredibly tiresome and I'm looking forward to when it gets to the point.

Are you happy now

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

"Oh look a new character", I say as the current running gag forces its way out of me.

Thank goodness!

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you happy now

Going all in on lovely jokes posted:

This new character is Eglamore, right?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I think she needs a new GPS. That doesn't look right at all.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you happy now

Yes.

In other news, the lighting on this page is really great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pyroi posted:

I think she needs a new GPS. That doesn't look right at all.

No, this is just why you don't try to walk while googling "who is the flower kingdom princess" on your new phone, otherwise you might just fall through a hole in the ground.

e: Actually the big surprise out of this is gonna be that Nautilus isn't the threat at all, it's Liquus that Rosemaster wants.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
did she just fall out of the freaking banner

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Luminous Obscurity posted:

did she just fall out of the freaking banner

Yes.

e: or maybe we just imagined her on the banner, whoa.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 24, 2014

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Third Murderer posted:

When I first noticed that Nautilus had vanished not only from the comic but from the website and stuff, I was impressed because it seemed like the kind of gimmick that would really only work well in a webcomic and couldn't be done nearly to the same degree in a traditional print medium. It's really clever! But then people other than the author started going all "Nautilus who? Huh?" and now I just find the whole idea incredibly tiresome and I'm looking forward to when it gets to the point.

Wait, did that actually happen? I just checked some of the old pages, and she's still there, did I miss it?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

She wasn't removed from any old pages. When someone asked why Nautilus wasn't in any of the flower kingdom pages Gigi removed her from the banner and the character page, and started the "Who's that?" joke.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Yeah, I just meant that when she suddenly vanished from the group without comment, she was removed from the banner and the character page too. Editing her out of the old pages would have been a wee bit more work, I expect.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
See, this is why Gigi needs to get a programmer to help make the site more dynamic, like having the banners change as you read through the story, otherwise archive readers are gonna completely miss out on cool poo poo like this.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Third Murderer posted:

Yeah, I just meant that when she suddenly vanished from the group without comment, she was removed from the banner and the character page too. Editing her out of the old pages would have been a wee bit more work, I expect.

Maybe someone will do a Garfield minus garfield -style thing, where cucumber goes around talking to himself for a while revealing his insanity and loneliness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

Maybe someone will do a Garfield minus garfield -style thing, where cucumber goes around talking to himself for a while revealing his insanity and loneliness.

Cucumber Quest without Cucumber. Almond is an only child and hallucinates she has a big brother. Since the big brother isn't real and cannot do anything, she hallucinates him as a dorky nerd.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blackheart posted:

quest.gigidigi.com

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So whadaya reckon Rosemaster has in plan for Nautilus? Turn her into a boy so she can't be a princess no more?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one could only expect such regressive gender expectations from a 500,000-year-old being :haw:

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
I like how from now on when Nautilus is in a situation like that, she's gonna have to explain that she kinda wants a pizza to stop the pizza guys from just crashing through a wall and saving her.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

WarpedNaba posted:

So whadaya reckon Rosemaster has in plan for Nautilus? Turn her into a boy so she can't be a princess no more?

Uh, why would you think that?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Raserys posted:

Uh, why would you think that?

Because it fits in with their fanfictions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

heenato posted:

I like how from now on when Nautilus is in a situation like that, she's gonna have to explain that she kinda wants a pizza to stop the pizza guys from just crashing through a wall and saving her.

Update for context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

For some reason I assumed the spells were one use only. I don't even know why.