Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Legit jealously over here of these two latest sardinefood images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sat down two days ago and had the suggested Rice/Sardines/Hotsauce meal. Was a good meal. Thanks, goons.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Melba toast, cheese, and hot sauce is pretty pro too.

Melba toast is the best cracker.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Trip Report on Trader Joe's Sardines in Harissa on jasmine rice.

Ingredients: Sardines, Soy Oil, Harissa(Fresh Hot Red Peppers, Garlic, Coriander, Caraway and Salt), Salt
Seems to have been released September 9th according to the Trader Joe's website. I think this might be the first web review.

Delicious. Nice and firm 'dines with crunchy little spines. Pleasant mild to medium chili pepper spice to them, could easily be enjoyed by non-pepper heads. Significantly larger than the tiny double layer brisling dines, but little smaller then the big three to a can 'dines. Couldn't really tell how many were in there as they were jammed in super tight into the slimmer taller can.

Cost: $1.29 a can, significantly cheaper then larger boneless skinless Trader Joe sardines which are over $2 a can.

A++ total delicious bargain. Just wish they were a little spicier.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 23, 2014

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought these things at the gourmet grocery store, and will be trip reporting them soon.

I have been eating a lot of sardines lately because of this thread. I grew a beard and am eating sardines on crackers with hot sauce at work. It freaks out the anime goku gamer younguns. Good.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
drat anime gokus

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Planet X posted:

I bought these things at the gourmet grocery store, and will be trip reporting them soon.

I have been eating a lot of sardines lately because of this thread. I grew a beard and am eating sardines on crackers with hot sauce at work. It freaks out the anime goku gamer younguns. Good.

Maple syrup!? Sweet is one flavor I can't imagine could work with sardines. I've enjoyed earthy (mushrooms), spicy, and citrus flavor with my sardines. Please report back.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Dinner: Two cans 'dines with tomato sauce in a bowl. 4 poached eggs on top.

Yes, ~my wife~ was out of town.

Yes, I shared with my cat.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I found an intriguing tin of mackerel in tom yum sauce at the local Asian market. I had some extra time today and wrote entirely too much about it on my lovely blog: http://drfrog.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/notes-on-a-tinned-fish-mackerel-fillets-in-tom-yam-sauce

But of course you do not have to go there, here is the text bit of the site:

quote:

This tin of mackerel fillets was discovered in 99 Ranch, one of a chain of Asian markets in California. It was about $2. I consumed it atop a bed of instant tapioca noodles, which came with a dehydrated vegetable seasoning packet and a sachet of XO sauce.

Tinned fish usually comes in some kind of sauce, even if it’s just some salt and olive oil. Often they are packed in something quite strong like tomato sauce or mustard. This adds flavor and removes some small steps in hasty food preparation, and makes fish taste better after sitting in a metal can for a long time. Tom yum or tom yam is a Thai soup similar to Chinese hot and sour soup. According to the box, this tin contains the essentials of tom yum: chilis, lime leaves, lemongrass, coconut milk, and other ingredients.
2-IMG_0602

The interior of these things rarely amaze.

Opening the tin produces a slightly fishy odor, which seems fairly reasonable given the contents. It also has a slightly metallic odor. This could be the smell of the tin itself, which does not seem like a good thing. But it could also be the scent of the flavorings to my nose. I’ve had tom yum before and haven’t ever found the scent to be metallic.

I’m not very familiar with tinned mackerel, and I don’t have much to compare it to. The fish itself had a higher density and bite than the sardines I’m used to, lending to an impression that I was eating an older fish, but it wasn’t unpleasant. The taste of the fish was mild, not too fishy, but somewhat metallic. Without the metal, it would have been enjoyable. The fish had some skin on it, but it didn’t get in the way, and the fillets were completely boneless.
5-IMG_0606

The ingredients list. Pretty darn reasonable.

The sauce is somewhat rich (owing to the coconut milk), slightly mealy, and pale orange. It had a few leaves of either lemongrass or lime in it, which was a nice touch, and probably helped the flavor. The spiciness was mild and crept up mostly as an aftertaste, and was nicely balanced. Next time, I’d put in some additional chili sauce.

Eating straight out of the tin was a mixed experience, owing to the metallic taste. This indicates something of a sloppy tinning process, or inferior ingredients. The former is a great way to potentially introduce BPAs or some other chemicals into your bloodstream, or worse. I really wanted to like it more, but didn’t hate it.
8-IMG_0610

Looks pretty good on top of some noodles. Taste was average, but decent for tinned fish + instant noodles.

Mixed in with the tapioca noodles and some of the XO sauce, it was a decently filling lunch. The metallic taste was no longer detectable, and the bite of the fish went well with the firm noodles.

“Mackerel Fillets in Tom Yam Sauce” was produced in Thailand, and it cost around $2. The same manufacturer also produces a version with green curry.
Imagery:

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

I've had these too. Will confirm that they're good as gently caress. 0% spicy for anyone concerned, not overly oily. Medium sized fillets with skin + edible bones, double layered. Excellent quality for the price. Really pretty good quality period, shade under King Oscar/Wild Planet.

The Whole Foods here in Seattle has had fresh sardines the last two times I went. Fresh sardines are pretty bomb, buy some if you ever see them at your grocer. They taste great with a simple salt, pepper, aromatic + lemon preparation and if you have a grill basket you're really in for a treat...

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

So I've been eating sardines for a while thanks to this thread (black pepper triscuits + pepperjack cheese, sriracha, and king oscars is my general go-to), I branched out a bit tonight with a baked potato w/ some anchovies (and sauteed mushrooms) after someone in this thread mentioned it. It was pretty great.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
My mother-in-law stayed with us last weekend and made a huge pot of flavorless beef stew. After she left, I was able to eat the leftovers by mixing in a pan sauce into every bowl for the next three nights: saute minced garlic and an anchovy in olive oil, add squirt of tomato paste and some red chili flakes, deglaze with Bell's brown ale, add a glug of Worcestershire and soy sauce, cook down with a sprig of thyme, take off heat and whisk in one pat of butter.

That will make just about any in-law recipe actually edible. Thanks anchovies. Thanchovies.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

el_caballo posted:

My mother-in-law stayed with us last weekend and made a huge pot of flavorless beef stew. After she left, I was able to eat the leftovers by mixing in a pan sauce into every bowl for the next three nights: saute minced garlic and an anchovy in olive oil, add squirt of tomato paste and some red chili flakes, deglaze with Bell's brown ale, add a glug of Worcestershire and soy sauce, cook down with a sprig of thyme, take off heat and whisk in one pat of butter.

That will make just about any in-law recipe actually edible. Thanks anchovies. Thanchovies.

Missing step where you throw away the stew and just eat the sauce.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

about to try a sardine i never had one

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

trip report? how are you eating sardine

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

on a triscuit with some sriracha. not bad

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Parallax Scroll posted:

on a triscuit with some sriracha. not bad

Do this exact thing again, but add guacamole. I do this every night, sometimes with toasted buttered baguette slices instead of the Triscuits

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sardines will make people appreciate you even more when you ride mass transit.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this was cheap rear end sardines that i got for a dollar so i'll try better ones later i guess if i see them

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

triscuits are a seriously amazing sardine vehicle because of their texture. also they made all those flavor blasted varieties. the black pepper ones are really good if you haven't tried them

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Christmas Miracle posted:

triscuits are a seriously amazing sardine vehicle because of their texture. also they made all those flavor blasted varieties. the black pepper ones are really good if you haven't tried them

black pepper and olive oil yeah. that's what i used.

i was kinda wondering what the spine would be like but the cracker was already crunchy so i didn't notice it

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

they cover up the weird texture, yeah

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

what is a good beginner's sardine i want to break into the sardine racket but i don't wanna go too strong too fast

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

king oscars bristling

edit: in oil

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah king oscars is what you want

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

do they sell those at the store

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yep :)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no u have to ask the king of norway for a bushel

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ok i'll look next time

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wtf!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

yes, but you might only find tiny tots. still good.

e: but don't be afraid to slum a little and get less expensive sardines and just put hella toppings on them

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Riga Gold Sprats are good too if you can find them.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Orkin Mang posted:

no u have to ask the king of norway for a bushel

i thought sardines came in tins, now you're telling me they come in bushels?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Business Gorillas posted:

i thought sardines came in tins, now you're telling me they come in bushels?

Bushel is the Norwegian word for 'tin'. Once you get deeper into the sardine 'scene' you'll start to learn the lingo like this.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
still pissed about having to perform those feats of strength before the dine throne

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Bushel is the Norwegian word for 'tin'. Once you get deeper into the sardine 'scene' you'll start to learn the lingo like this.

A bushel is eight gallons though. I don't think you can buy eight gallons of sardines anywhere, except maybe in Norway.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

A bushel is eight gallons though. I don't think you can buy eight gallons of sardines anywhere, except maybe in Norway.

its possible if u defeat hrothgar the calciumrich in the great dine throwing contest beneath the first aurora

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have been on a canned fish kick letely, mostly due to this thread. I branched out. Tried a can of squid in its own ink. Can't recommend it. Mackerel in tomato sauce is nice and fishy. But the best thing I tried was a birthday present from my wife. She ordered it from England, I think,

Like concentrated anchovy paste mixed with butter. Toast and butter some good bread, add a thin layer of this poo poo, and a scrambled egg or two. loving HEAVEN.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

Sure, it's a big tin. It's intended for those of us who are serious about the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Business Gorillas posted:

what is a good beginner's sardine i want to break into the sardine racket but i don't wanna go too strong too fast

Get Bela sardines if you come across them. I had Beach Cliff sardines as an introduction and although it was a bad first experience I never would have appreciated how much better Bela and Seasons are had I not tried Beach Cliff first.

Bumblebee in mustard are real tasty cracker sardines, and pretty cheap too.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 4, 2014

• Locked thread