Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Guys are we done simultaneously posting about how bad a thing is and outdoing each other on how much we cool guys who know a thing is bad don't care about it

Because I got a little somethin somethin

Batman show...is...poop! Haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually liked most of the villains, actually. They were all pretty much equally over the top. If Gotham fully embraces the campiness, it'll be the better for it. I absolutely am expecting a "Don't you know? Penguins eat Fish!" line when he takes over the syndicate.

There's the two extremes of Batman: campy 60's show Batman and Frank Millar Goddamn Batman. The Arkham games have done the best job (so far) of balancing the two and Gotham feels like it's taking a decent amount of inspiration from them.

I didn't love the Joker fake out, though. That kinda thing is pointless fanbait and I hope we don't get a hypothetical Joker every week.

With a little bit of tweaking (and some significant work on the dialog) Gotham could actually be decent. It's not gonna upset Arrow from the throne of best dramatic comic book show ever (I had to qualify because The Tick takes the honors of best comic book show) but it's got plenty of potential.

\/\/\/\/\/\/No, thank gently caress Christ. Though any British actor worth their salt would see a line like that and veto it immediately, so I doubt that it ever really had a chance of staying in anyway.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, did Alfred say the "silly buggers" thing from the alleged leaked script?

Also: Spoilers!

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 23, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

What if Batman is a star trek obsessed moderator of a tv forum while babysitting Robin? :ohdear:

That can happen on any random Tuesday.

zoux posted:

No, that was changed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely see where the silly buggers line was meant to be but yeah they took it out along with almost every hilariously awful gumshoe impersonation line from that leak. Only "cool glass of milk" made it in that I remember.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How many eps does Gotham have? I might catch the second one just to firm up my impression, but this thing has above 20 then it might really be worth catching the season finale or something just to see where a crew of desperate writers left with not much go with does so far in.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

How many eps does Gotham have? I might catch the second one just to firm up my impression, but this thing has above 20 then it might really be worth catching the season finale or something just to see where a crew of desperate writers left with not much go with does so far in.

It's 13, but if the ratings (3.2 in the demo overnight) hold, they'll likely get another order soon.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

It'll be the Joker, probably with the reveal that all of the not-Jokers that appeared in the series were working for him all along.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Forever seems like it'll be the fluffy popcorn procedural of choice now that Castle has been making GBS threads the bed the last few seasons.
What happened with Castle? I was like maybe 1/3 of the way through S6 before I stopped watching it but mostly to replace it with other shows. Didn't really notice a drop in quality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shrug, I still enjoy it. It just has been getting more crazy episodes, then more serious episodes. Not as fresh as it was earlier. It's still way better than Bones.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Ugh, more serious Castle episodes? Yeah no thanks, those always piss me off no matter what it's about or how good television they probably are.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So Forever wasn't bad at all. I was surprised at that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sober posted:

What happened with Castle? I was like maybe 1/3 of the way through S6 before I stopped watching it but mostly to replace it with other shows. Didn't really notice a drop in quality.

For me it never really recovered from the overly dark S3 finale where the awesome friendly captain was revealed to be one of the masterminds of the central conspiracy. And then s4 was overwrought and the replacement captain was just the worst. Didn't come back for s5.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it looks like Vince Vaughn is also going to be in True Detective season 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

So it looks like Vince Vaughn is also going to be in True Detective season 2.
This is the worst news I've heard in a while. Unless he's been cast as some secondary character.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Farrell and Vaughn is definitely not as exciting as Harrelson and McConaughey. Farrell is fine but has never been particularly noteworthy in anything, and Vaughn is....well yeah.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Is this alleged female lead still in the pipeline? After all the noise they made about not just building the story around two white guys this time, it doesn't look great to announce the casting of two white guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bown posted:

Farrell and Vaughn is definitely not as exciting as Harrelson and McConaughey. Farrell is fine but has never been particularly noteworthy in anything, and Vaughn is....well yeah.

Farrell is really good when he's not doing just generic leading man roles.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

hcreight posted:

Is this alleged female lead still in the pipeline? After all the noise they made about not just building the story around two white guys this time, it doesn't look great to announce the casting of two white guys.

They saw Fargo and decided it was pointless to try.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Everyone please watch In Bruges.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Collin Farrell is fine as long as there's a better actor standing next to him at all times.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The last few posts were a lot more confusing when I was thinking Will Farrell.

I hate Vince Vaughn though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wow, Scorpion was worse than that CSI:Cyber backdoor pilot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I dunno, even in something like Horrible Bosses he was probably the weakest main cast member. He's decent in In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths but completely overshadowed by others in both movies.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I liked Farrell the best of the Heath Ledger replacement actors in Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, but that might be because him playing the character as a straight rear end in a top hat works better instead of a complete loon like Depp or Law, or a complete non-entity like Ledger.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

In

Bruges

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Vince Vaughn casting because I'm assuming that they liked him the best for the character they have in mind (as opposed to having to settle or not being able to get who they really wanted) considering they could have basically gotten anyone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

literally two posts above yours :psyduck:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

I dunno, even in something like Horrible Bosses he was probably the weakest main cast member.

If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, this post might impress me, but I didn't, so it doesn't.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm actually more excited about Colin Farrel being in the new season than a Brad Pitt level actor. I've loved him in certain roles and any time I haven't liked him it was more due to it being a poo poo movie with a poo poo script and directing than it was due to him personally. The fact that he's older, and hopefully more mature, than when he was being hyped as the next huge Hollywood star and that he has a lot to prove makes me think he'll put in more effort and be willing to take more risks than an already mega successful actor. Vince Vaughn should be fine too, he seems like he'd fit better in something like this than in a lot of the movie roles he's been miscast in.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zoux posted:

Also: Spoilers!

Cool... unfortunately I was clicking and at about the tenth spoiler it was for Orange is the New Black Season 2. I had 3 episodes left :/.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DivisionPost posted:

That can happen on any random Tuesday.

Wow.

Woow.

:golfclap:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Is there any particular reason for the Vince Vaughn hatred? Particularly in comparison to Collin Farrell?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
He acts in a lot of Adam Sandler level schlock and kind of comes across as indifferent a lot of the time, but based on the fact that he can put in a good performance when he's put in a good role I tend to chalk it up to him just being really willing to take "pay the bills" roles.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Vaughn pretty much only plays one character in everything he's in and his career peaked a decade ago. People are rightfully sick of him and I'm not sure how he'll fit in on a show like TD.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

hcreight posted:

Vaughn pretty much only plays one character in everything he's in and his career peaked a decade ago. People are rightfully sick of him and I'm not sure how he'll fit in on a show like TD.

This basically describes the point McConaughey was at two years ago so a resurgence has happened before, I mean he'll probably be awful but who knows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So Forever wasn't bad at all. I was surprised at that.

It was the only pilot last night that I actually liked, it was refreshing after two hours of Batman Without Batman and Autistic Mod Squad.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What's the premise behind Scorpion? All I've seen about it is their ads on buses and billboards, which always make me laugh because they say something about the 4 smartest people in the world and then have 6 people in them. Sorry other two idiots.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VDay posted:

What's the premise behind Scorpion? All I've seen about it is their ads on buses and billboards, which always make me laugh because they say something about the 4 smartest people in the world and then have 6 people in them. Sorry other two idiots.
Imagine if Big Bang Theory were a procedural.

The other two are Robert Patrick and Katharine McPhee, and yes, they are not "geniuses" in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

I'm guessing the other two are T-1000, who is their handler, and some waitress lady they meet in the first episode that helps them and they offer her a place on their team because she can be their liaison to the non-autistic world.

It'd be a lot more entertaining if it was based on that one old gimmick poster, Jaded Mensa Op.

• Locked thread