Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

vintagepurple posted:

That map doesn't even shade Montréal, but it also shows Québec city and the entire province as unpopulated, which is pretty stupid since the whole southern part is densely-peopled by canadian standards. There's a huge red blob in the prairies but nothing in Québec.

Montreal or the islands that make it up is darkest red though? Oddly enough, it's not unshaded but rather unmarked which is puzzling as all hell for being again the second largest city in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
http://www.applescrapple.com/messagecenter/events

quote:

Mayor's Scrapple Sling
This event is open to all mayors or presidents of councils in Sussex County and to our Sussex County Councilmen and will be held on Saturday, October 12. Bragging rights are always on the line to see who will hold the title of “King of Sling” for the upcoming year, as the contestants see how far they can sling packages of delicious scrapple

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

made of bees posted:

I thought scrapple was more of a westsylvania thing

Nah, scrapple is all over PA, although cream chipped beef is way better :colbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Modern Day Hercules posted:

You are actually the person who shouldn't go to Germany if you think that what they eat over there is the same thing as a goddamn hotdog.

Y'all need to go to a sausage factory if you think bratwurst etc. are made with unicorn farts or whatever. All sausage is the parts they can't use. That's the point of sausage.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

Montreal or the islands that make it up is darkest red though? Oddly enough, it's not unshaded but rather unmarked which is puzzling as all hell for being again the second largest city in the country.

You guys are talking about two different maps.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

I agree because I've lived in Delaware 10 years and I've never even heard of "vinegar french fries". What the hell? The only food Delaware has a claim to is scrapple, a product that makes hot dogs look pure and clean.

Probably just meant the kind you can get at the boardwalk.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

Y'all need to go to a sausage factory if you think bratwurst etc. are made with unicorn farts or whatever. All sausage is the parts they can't use. That's the point of sausage.
Yeah, but some sausage makers stick to the meat parts they can't use, while others expand the "parts they can't use" to include hoofs, bones, wood pulp, old E.T. cartridges, and so on.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BuckT.Trend posted:

Not only that, but what the hell is a "handheld meat pie"?

It's typically called a Runza but the map didn't want to use that term since it's a trademark of the place that sells them. If you asked for a meat pie in Nebraska people will assume you're talking about those cheap frozen pot pies.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Apparently fried cheese curds are a thing in Wisconsin? That would be interesting on poutine.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, but some sausage makers stick to the meat parts they can't use, while others expand the "parts they can't use" to include hoofs, bones, wood pulp, old E.T. cartridges, and so on.

Bones are good for ya, got calcium.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was goingn to say that should be Wisconsin's regional dish. Brats and kraut are delicious but cheese curds are a real Wisconsin delicacy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wonder what's the percentage of bug meat in a sausage.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Apparently fried cheese curds are a thing in Wisconsin? That would be interesting on poutine.

I'm from Wisconsin and I can verify this. We will put cheese and beer into anything available.

Shbobdb posted:

I was goingn to say that should be Wisconsin's regional dish. Brats and kraut are delicious but cheese curds are a real Wisconsin delicacy.

Beer and cheese is our regional dish. You want brands? gently caress that poo poo. Beer and cheese and you'll like it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

Bones are good for ya, got calcium.
Yeah, but who would ever want healthy sausages?

Kurtofan posted:

I wonder what's the percentage of bug meat in a sausage.
Probably less than rat droppings.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peanut President posted:

You know you can get sausages not from a factory, right? If you go to a good butcher or a nice restaurant, they often hand-make their sausages from good cuts of meat on the premises. They also cost more, but that's also true of buying ground beef vs buying a ribeye steak.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Meh, sausages in Germany are made of the best meat: Innards. Because the decadent Westerner has decided only muscle meat will do.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One thing I really love about Hipsterism is their focus on organ meats and other "authentic" forms of eating. It's made getting those delicious bits so much easier. I imagine it is sort of how someone with Celiacs feels about the gluten-free diet fad, where parts of it are kind of annoying but the overall net benefit far outweighs any negatives.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah I'm German and I don't really see the point of using good cuts of meat in sausages, or let's rather say cuts that would be considered good if someone slapped them on a plate in front of you, un-sausage-ified. The whole point of sausages (and stuff like Mett) is to improve difficult cuts of meat. And Riso's right, I'd say the vast majority of the average German's offal intake comes from sausages. I mean even the casing is offal unless you insist on artificial casings, in which case you're wrong. So now we're at an impasse, you say "sausages are all pig assholes, eww", I say "gimme gimme".

Although it's still true that I differentiate between a hot dog and a sausage in a cut open bread roll. The latter is a sausage delivery system, while the former is a lovely sandwich.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A lot of foods are "the shittiest leftovers that you don't want to waste because you're poor" (see: stews, brisket ).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You know you can get sausages not from a factory, right? If you go to a good butcher or a nice restaurant, they often hand-make their sausages from good cuts of meat on the premises. They also cost more, but that's also true of buying ground beef vs buying a ribeye steak.

Son if you eat sausages with only "good cuts" then you're eating god awful sausage. I bet you ain't even eat tongue before because it ain't "a good cut".

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Shbobdb posted:

One thing I really love about Hipsterism is their focus on organ meats and other "authentic" forms of eating. It's made getting those delicious bits so much easier. I imagine it is sort of how someone with Celiacs feels about the gluten-free diet fad, where parts of it are kind of annoying but the overall net benefit far outweighs any negatives.

Anecdotal but I've heard people with Celiacs complain about the "gluten free" stuff because with the popularity of gluten free as a buzzword means that a lot of things that are labeled as gluten free are... not. Whereas before you had only one or two brands of things but you were drat sure they were actually free of gluten, now you have a bunch of things where it's questionable if they are a tasty new alternative or if you will end up in the bathroom for the rest of the night.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I imagine that requests for gluten free foods are taken a lot less seriously these days, which has gotta suck for people who actually need their food to be gluten free.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kalos posted:

I do like that neither map could think of an actual food for Nevada, though the second one was a bit more honest about it.

Which is complete bullshit and shows that the maps are made by people who think Nevada = Las Vegas and that's it. Nevada, believe it or not, has pretty major Basque, Italian, and Portuguese populations in the West and North of the state who've been there since the 1800s, with all of the culinary traditions that came along with the immigrants. In fact, I think that something like Basque Chorizo or Portuguese beans would be a pretty representative thing for the map, since it's what you see being brought to church potlucks and being served at people's houses, nevermind in all the good local joints. Or even raviolis, since every town has a ravioli cookoff every year.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Did the Dutch get lost in the North Sea a whole lot ?

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

skipThings posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noordsche_Compagnie

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

skipThings posted:

Whaling, son. Delicious medieval whaling.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Which is complete bullshit and shows that the maps are made by people who think Nevada = Las Vegas and that's it. Nevada, believe it or not, has pretty major Basque, Italian, and Portuguese populations in the West and North of the state who've been there since the 1800s, with all of the culinary traditions that came along with the immigrants. In fact, I think that something like Basque Chorizo or Portuguese beans would be a pretty representative thing for the map, since it's what you see being brought to church potlucks and being served at people's houses, nevermind in all the good local joints. Or even raviolis, since every town has a ravioli cookoff every year.

I will grant that buffet is a pretty nevadan style of food, but it's a manner of serving food- you don't see other states where their food is "Potluck" or what have you. But yes, Basque is absolutely iconic state food. Raviolis are something, but you see basque style eateries everywhere. Elko, Reno, Carson, Winnemucca, etc.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Are the Basques there from when it was Mexico/New Spain or did they come in at a later point?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Its Taylor Ham you plebs. :byodood:

No it is pork roll. Taylor Ham is a brand of pork roll. :colbert:

Ah couldn't resist the great pork roll/Taylor Ham debate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

made of bees posted:

Are the Basques there from when it was Mexico/New Spain or did they come in at a later point?

The short answer is that it's hard to tell.

The long answer is that there were reports of lots Basques in non-Spanish territory (i.e., Oregon et all) when the Mexican American War happened, and they came over during the gold rushes in the 1860s. The US didn't have a "Basque" identifier on the Census until 1980, so any numbers before then are iffy.

There are significant numbers of Basques outside of land grabbed from the Mexican American War (I'm from Boise, one of/the largest Basque centers in the US) so it's probably fair to say that there was significant migration after the Mexican-American War and probably not that much before Mexico itself declared independence from Spain.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
To expand on that, Basque immigrants keep coming. Usually they're hired to work as shepherds in the range sheep industry. There's a weird pipeline from the Basque country to the intermountain West.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, I imagine that requests for gluten free foods are taken a lot less seriously these days, which has gotta suck for people who actually need their food to be gluten free.
Good places will usually ask "preference or food intolerance?" now.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Quantumfate posted:

I will grant that buffet is a pretty nevadan style of food, but it's a manner of serving food- you don't see other states where their food is "Potluck" or what have you. But yes, Basque is absolutely iconic state food. Raviolis are something, but you see basque style eateries everywhere. Elko, Reno, Carson, Winnemucca, etc.

"Everywhere" except the place where 70% of the people live. :colbert:

No, Basque food probably makes the most sense in terms of longstanding cultural links. Vegas is full of awesome food, but none of it's from here; the most local thing we have is probably loco moco or musubi.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

New Mexico should be stacked enchiladas with blue maize tortillas and Arizona should be Navajo-style frybread :colbert:.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Missing out the Portuguese seems a pretty big oversight.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Missing out the Portuguese seems a pretty big oversight.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Wiggles posted:

To expand on that, Basque immigrants keep coming. Usually they're hired to work as shepherds in the range sheep industry. There's a weird pipeline from the Basque country to the intermountain West.

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is that the ranching business at least in Idaho is huge. Like, they're the equivalent of Oil men in Texas (that and the late JRR Simplot).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Talk about overcompensating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Kurtofan posted:

Talk about overcompensating.

Fascist regimes will do that to a country.