Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Juche Box Hero posted:

Is there a way to turn off vibration in 4.4? I hate that my phone wastes so much power on every stupid notification and would just like to turn off all vibration across the entire system. I strongly prefer not rooting my phone for this.

His do you know of it wastes "so much" power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

rolleyes posted:

Yahoo Weather has been acting up for me for a while, and they've now inserted adverts into the weather information which is the final straw. Does anyone else know of a similarly pretty (yes I'm shallow) weather app with a decent 4x1 widget?

Just quoting myself in the hope someone might be able to help me out!

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

rolleyes posted:

BeWeather Pro

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rolleyes posted:

How about BBC Weather?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Juche Box Hero posted:

Is there a way to turn off vibration in 4.4? I hate that my phone wastes so much power on every stupid notification and would just like to turn off all vibration across the entire system. I strongly prefer not rooting my phone for this.

Not in a central setting (which is something I hope they fix), but nearly every major App (Gmail, Hangouts, Fenix, Textra...) has it under Options->Notifications. There you usually can set tone, vibrate and often enough LED blinking and other stuff.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Decius posted:

Not in a central setting (which is something I hope they fix), but nearly every major App (Gmail, Hangouts, Fenix, Textra...) has it under Options->Notifications. There you usually can set tone, vibrate and often enough LED blinking and other stuff.

Word. Thanks for the help. Seems crazy they didn't include a global setting for it.

Thermopyle posted:

His do you know of it wastes "so much" power?

I assume it does because spinning a weighted wheel every two minutes all day must use some amount of power. Besides, the vibration just annoys me and I've turned it totally off on every other phone I've ever owned because I think it is obnoxious.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 23, 2014

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why are PDFs so slow on mobile devices? Both my Nexus 5 and 7 take forever to actually render a page. It's only a 15mb document. Tried the default Google Office app or whatever it's called and the Adobe one which was only marginally better.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Why are PDFs so slow on mobile devices? Both my Nexus 5 and 7 take forever to actually render a page. It's only a 15mb document. Tried the default Google Office app or whatever it's called and the Adobe one which was only marginally better.

Why are pdfs so slow on desktops, laptops, tablets,

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Why are pdfs,

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I just tried a 14mb PDF on a Nexus 5 with adobe reader. It took maybe 20 seconds to render all the pages, though the first few were done earlier, maybe 1s per page, so if I was actually reading it it wouldn't have been much waiting at all. After that, I could scroll through all the pages smoothly with no issues or rendering.

E: Actually, that's not quite true. Looks like once I got to pg 17 or 18 out of 19, which had very large images on them, then scrolled quickly back to the beginning, the first 4-5 pages had to be re-rendered. If you're doing a lot of flipping back and forth through the pages, I could see why that would be really annoying. For just reading, though, seems good enough.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 23, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Thanks guys, I'll check these out.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Active else getting a swarm of Google surveys lately? I guess they're testing out some new business-location tracker, because I've gotten asked "When was the last time you went to Target?", with the actual day I went as one of the options.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Active else getting a swarm of Google surveys lately? I guess they're testing out some new business-location tracker, because I've gotten asked "When was the last time you went to Target?", with the actual day I went as one of the options.
I was visiting the US recently and went into a Best Buy to see if the Moto 360 was in stock. Two days later I got a survey asking "When were you last in a Best Buy?" which seemed like an unlikely coincidence.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

They are for sure, I got a when was the last time you've been to an olive garden restaurant in person survey the morning after I had dinner there this weekend.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
I got 3 for home depot within a week. All came within 24 hours of going to the store.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

air- posted:

Click on the magnifying glass icon, click the phone icon, and then run your search from the little pop-up that comes up. When you get your results, click SMS. Took me a while to figure this out too as I don't think this is documented anywhere.

I'm having trouble with this technique - even with someone listed as a contact at contacts.google.com, they still don't show up in the magnifying glass search. Pretty frustrating.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I've gotten 3 of the store surveys in the last week or 2, each a day or so after visiting each store: Target, Best Buy, and Kohl's.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Radbot posted:

I'm having trouble with this technique - even with someone listed as a contact at contacts.google.com, they still don't show up in the magnifying glass search. Pretty frustrating.

I'll try and add a little more detail, and get some screenshots when I have more time:

Click on magnifying glass: the text box should say "Search for people" and then there's a phone icon to the right of the text box
Click on phone icon: the text box should say "Name, phone number" and I have a US flag to the left of the text box. This is where you type in who you want to SMS.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

air- posted:

I'll try and add a little more detail, and get some screenshots when I have more time:

Click on magnifying glass: the text box should say "Search for people" and then there's a phone icon to the right of the text box
Click on phone icon: the text box should say "Name, phone number" and I have a US flag to the left of the text box. This is where you type in who you want to SMS.

Thanks for this, I kept thinking that icon was for making phone calls. How silly of me...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kri kri posted:

Thanks for this, I kept thinking that icon was for making phone calls. How silly of me...

That's exactly what I thought, too. You know what they say about assumptions.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out, air-.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

I had Bedubs last Tuesday.

robotindisguise posted:

I got 3 for home depot within a week. All came within 24 hours of going to the store.
Yours however were from Russians just wanting to verify they got a working copy of your credit card.

Miscreant
Jan 13, 2005
Racing office chairs since 1998

Miscreant posted:

I use a PwnPad, pretty nice tool the phone version is newer but IMO running command line is hard enough on a tablet. There is a community edition you can use on Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 if you don't want to buy the full version. The main (only?) difference is direct support. I talked quite a bit to the Kali team and they are working on abstracting the mobile hardware though so in the future it should be available to load onto other rooted platforms but it's not there yet. If you get a chance Kali does their Dojo events at a lot of security conferences including Derby Con in Kentucky next week and they usually do a session on mobile that is well worth attending, they'll even help you build a community edition device if you bring your own.

To add to this, Kali just released their new build that they are calling NetHunter today for Nexus 10, 7 and 5. Rooted only, really you won't get want you want without rooting it. http://www.kali.org/kali-linux-nethunter/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is the GV-Hangouts integration supposed to work for GV Lite (voicemail-only) accounts?

Wife uses a lite account but has no GV options in Hangout settings...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Is the GV-Hangouts integration supposed to work for GV Lite (voicemail-only) accounts?

Wife uses a lite account but has no GV options in Hangout settings...
Has she been asked to merge yet?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Has she been asked to merge yet?

Oh, hah, I totally forgot this was a thing since I got asked nearly immediately when they were rolling it out.

Yeah, that's the issue.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

Add me to the list. I got two today alone. One of the "when was the last time you went to a place we know you went on X day" and one "how often do you go to nail salons" (I'm a guy, I never go to nail salons).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Add me to the list. I got two today alone. One of the "when was the last time you went to a place we know you went on X day" and one "how often do you go to nail salons" (I'm a guy, I never go to nail salons).
Same here. At least five in the last two weeks.

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good timetabling app or something similar. Basically I want an app that I can fill in what I've done for each hour of the day and give two independent ratings out of ten for it. It'd be great if I could export the data as well, but not really that necessary. Obviously I can do this with a spreadsheet but that seems quite cumbersome, especially from my phone. Thanks.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Any suggestions for a (non-rooted) wakelock checking app?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Kraps posted:

Any suggestions for a (non-rooted) wakelock checking app?

I'm rooted so I'm not sure how well this would work without root, but Wakelock Detector is really good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can it even be done in KitKat without root? I was thinking it couldn't.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I'm trying to set places in Google Now but every time it tells me that it "Can't reach Google at the moment". I've been trying for a couple days and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm on wifi or not. One suggestion I found said to clear Google Search's cache but that hasn't seemed to have any effect. Anybody know how to get this to work?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

dik-dik posted:

I'm rooted so I'm not sure how well this would work without root, but Wakelock Detector is really good.

LastInLine posted:

Can it even be done in KitKat without root? I was thinking it couldn't.

Yeah Wakelock Detector doesn't work on KitKat unrooted.

I've looked around a bit and it seems the consensus is that KitKat is more closed than previous 'droid versions.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Technically you don't need root to get the battery stats, you just need to be a system app. Practically, you can't install an app to the system partition without root, so you need root. But once you've done that, the app itself doesn't need root access.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Are people actually answering the survey questions with any consistency?

In recent weeks, I've been an expecting mother of four who runs her own construction business and visits car dealerships based upon the year they were founded (STRONGLY IMPORTANT) and a young-ish twentysomething that has never heard of Gucci but does have some very strong opinions on wages at big box retailers.

Ever since I decided that every survey question I answered should be as though I'm a different individual, I've gotten a survey practically every other day. I'm contributing to some very interesting marketing demographics, I'm sure.

Currently sitting on $10.15 of credit, still trying to decide what to spend it on.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

a shameful boehner posted:

Yeah, and I've been getting quite a few in the past week or so. It will be great when the people paying for these surveys find out they're getting useless data and stop doing so.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

You're the worst.

Cor Geal posted:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good timetabling app or something similar. Basically I want an app that I can fill in what I've done for each hour of the day and give two independent ratings out of ten for it. It'd be great if I could export the data as well, but not really that necessary. Obviously I can do this with a spreadsheet but that seems quite cumbersome, especially from my phone. Thanks.

Toggl might fit your bill.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

In recent weeks, I've been an expecting mother of four who runs her own construction business and visits car dealerships based upon the year they were founded (STRONGLY IMPORTANT) and a young-ish twentysomething that has never heard of Gucci but does have some very strong opinions on wages at big box retailers.

Ever since I decided that every survey question I answered should be as though I'm a different individual, I've gotten a survey practically every other day. I'm contributing to some very interesting marketing demographics, I'm sure.

Currently sitting on $10.15 of credit, still trying to decide what to spend it on.

I've wanted to for a couple of the weird ones, like the one that was just "do you use shampoo," but I've been afraid they were devious honesty checks from a company that could easily monitor basically everything I do.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
According to Google, it's all "anonimized" anyway, so I can't see why there's any harm in answering how you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

According to Google, it's all "anonimized" anyway, so I can't see why there's any harm in answering how you want.
Why don't you just answer them honestly like you agreed to, dingus?

• Locked thread