Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Based on the description, it's actually Counter-Strike Online with a different name and an emphasis on the zombie mode.

Elliotw2 posted:

It actually does tell you about them, once, in the throwaway tutorial in UT2k3 and the extremely short tutorial video in 2k4 mentions them once and doesn't show them.

It does? I never really payed attention to the dumb tutorial movies, since it looked like they just explained the barebones basics of each gamemode. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

closeted republican posted:

Based on the description, it's actually Counter-Strike Online with a different name and an emphasis on the zombie mode.
Yeah, frankly I'm surprised they didn't bring over Counter-Strike Online 2, which has very nice modern graphics and some similarly batshit game modes. I guess they didn't want to detract from CS:GO's popularity?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, CS:O 2 is literally CS:GO with a cash shop, they still want to squeeze that $15 entry fee from cheaters as much as they can.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, CS:O 2 is literally CS:GO with a cash shop, they still want to squeeze that $15 entry fee from cheaters as much as they can.

Plus, 1.6 has the best version of maps like cs_assault, which is what really matters. :colbert:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Kins posted:

For some bizarre reason, Valve and Nexon are releasing a free-to-play co-op zombie-shooting variant of Counter-Strike 1.6 in a few hours, and I have no idea why.

Should I feel bad that I'm actually looking forward to this? I liked Brainbread and played the poo poo out of Sven Co-op (still waiting on that steam release) so some good old Half-life engine co-op sounds like fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That reminds me, is the Left 4 Dead arcade game out yet?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Just loaded up quake live for the first time in over a year. It's really heavily populated! I don't' know if they've implemented good matchmaking but I was playing opponents who weren't super hardcore, I didn't see anyone doing crazy trick jumps at all. I didn't win, but I didn't get stomped either. 24:20 K:D

I'm not sure if it's just gotten a big boost from going on steam but it seems there are plenty of new players on there and it's a good time to get in.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
It has gotten a massive boost. Before the steam launch their daily peak was around 500 concurrent players, whereas it's now at around 6000. And there is absolutely 0 matchmaking going on, it just dumps you onto the first server that has players and room in it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Remember when QL had their own bizarre ranking system before they switched to ELO?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Quake Live does not use ELO, qlranks.com is entirely unofficial. They're still using the same completely broken 'tier' system since day one. New players get dumped into tier 3 out of a possible 4 and it's not even properly enforced.

The community has been begging for proper matchmaking functionality for six years but it's never going to happen because it takes work, unlike hacking in a new weapon and playing around with some variables.

Amethyst posted:

Just loaded up quake live for the first time in over a year. It's really heavily populated! I don't' know if they've implemented good matchmaking but I was playing opponents who weren't super hardcore, I didn't see anyone doing crazy trick jumps at all. I didn't win, but I didn't get stomped either. 24:20 K:D

I'm not sure if it's just gotten a big boost from going on steam but it seems there are plenty of new players on there and it's a good time to get in.
Yeah, if you play now you're going to get dumped into a game with absolute beginners because they make up the majority of the player-base on public servers. When the surge of new players from the steam launch drops off, the problems with matchmaking and skill differences will once again be drawn into focus.

koren fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 23, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

The Kins posted:

For some bizarre reason, Valve and Nexon are releasing a free-to-play co-op zombie-shooting variant of Counter-Strike 1.6 in a few hours, and I have no idea why.

Valve is just in it for the money nowadays.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Cool hooker outfit on the player character on the left there. I didn't realize it was still 1998.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Linguica posted:

Cool hooker outfit on the player character on the left there. I didn't realize it was still 1998.

It's a translation of a Korean free to play version of Counter Strike that launched in 2003, there's a lot of dumb character designs

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Linguica posted:

Did you ever consider that she might be a hooker? Prostitutes can be heroes too. Let's not hookershame :colbert:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

The Kins posted:

cs:online stuff

As everyone else said, it's basically 1.6 aimed at the F2P-obsessed Asian market.

That mode also allows players to become a giant dinosaur zombie and a mech, by the way.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Glagha posted:

Did you ever consider that she might be a hooker? Prostitutes can be heroes too. Let's not hookershame :colbert:

Wasn't there a games thread about an adventure game starring a prostitute that got shut down after people got really angry that prostitutes were portrayed as something other than helpless victims?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a translation of a Korean free to play version of Counter Strike that launched in 2003, there's a lot of dumb character designs

It's funny because as you scroll down through the "character" list, you'll see the usual entries: GSG-9, SEALs, Spetsnaz, Militia, etc. Then suddenly you're looking at 12-year-old girls with guitar-shaped rifles, tits flopped out like pancakes, and bios written by retard shut-ins. "Enzo bleaches the meticulous 2-day beard on his lantern jaw when he's not dreaming of fighting pirates in Africa. His outfit is a sailing polo with the collar flipped up." "Here's some characters in soccer uniforms for some reason."

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's funny because as you scroll down through the "character" list, you'll see the usual entries: GSG-9, SEALs, Spetsnaz, Militia, etc. Then suddenly you're looking at 12-year-old girls with guitar-shaped rifles, tits flopped out like pancakes, and bios written by retard shut-ins. "Enzo bleaches the meticulous 2-day beard on his lantern jaw when he's not dreaming of fighting pirates in Africa. His outfit is a sailing polo with the collar flipped up." "Here's some characters in soccer uniforms for some reason."
Soccer characters make for the best characters in an FPS, surely.

Also:

quote:

David is a veteran soldier and is a former instructor of SAS who has experience. He is one of the surviors in laboratory basement, who has been survived. He became disillusioned with the horrible incidents that he saw in the basement and decided to join the Terrorist as they promised to help hum to get out from there if he assist them in obtaining a confidential document. He found out that Gerard is chasing him and decided to particpate in the battlefield so that he can persuade him.
I like the implication that a bunch of terrorists escaped a laboratory basement by humming a jaunty tune in unison.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Back when I first played Half-Life, I played it on the family computer and forgot to insert the disk. I never noticed in time that my aunt's Celine Dion cd was still in there, until the point where, during the bombardment in "Forget about Freeman," My Heart Will Go On started playing.
I think that tops mine handily, yep.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Elliotw2 posted:

If I pick Spetsnaz as my skin can I win a cs match by gassing all the hostages?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've always said Counter-Strike 1.6 needed more zombies and tits.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

This looks like complete loving garbage.

e: whoops

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Someone is porting System Shock into the DarkPlaces Quake engine. Apparently set to release on December 23rd.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/citadel/

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Insert name here posted:

If I pick Spetsnaz as my skin can I win a cs match by gassing all the hostages?

As long as most of the Ts die as well. By "most", I mean one or two.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A bunch of these F2Ps have soccer-themed crossovers. Crossfire, Combat Arms, AVA, etc.

I will fight people over the rad sci-fi designs in CSO's MOBA-style game mode where you fight in space with ME3 weapon ripoffs and with robots, though. :colbert:

Fake edit: That SS1 port is rad, and Darkplaces being the sourceport of choice has me sold even further.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Korendian Leader posted:

Quake Live does not use ELO, qlranks.com is entirely unofficial. They're still using the same completely broken 'tier' system since day one. New players get dumped into tier 3 out of a possible 4 and it's not even properly enforced.

The community has been begging for proper matchmaking functionality for six years but it's never going to happen because it takes work, unlike hacking in a new weapon and playing around with some variables.
Yeah, if you play now you're going to get dumped into a game with absolute beginners because they make up the majority of the player-base on public servers. When the surge of new players from the steam launch drops off, the problems with matchmaking and skill differences will once again be drawn into focus.

QL has far too few ranks to be useful. A better idea would be to use CS:GO's system, where there are tiers and rankings within each tier. That way, the people that've never played a Quake game in their lives can play in the low rankings of the first tier, the people that have a basic grasp of things like dodging go through the second tier, the people that generally know about everything in the game have the third tier, and the pros can start going through the final tier.

Hell, for the poeple that are really low, the game can summon a few bots on the easier difficulties so that they have a chance to fight against someone if there are too few people in the server.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

catlord posted:

This is true and I prefer Quake 3. The flak cannon is loving awesome.

Its strange, but I absolutely hate the Q3 grenade launcher and refuse to use it, but I love lobbing the secondary attack of the flak cannon into people's faces for the perfect one-hit kill. :shrug:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

Someone is porting System Shock into the DarkPlaces Quake engine. Apparently set to release on December 23rd.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/citadel/

This will be the best Christmas gift ever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its strange, but I absolutely hate the Q3 grenade launcher and refuse to use it, but I love lobbing the secondary attack of the flak cannon into people's faces for the perfect one-hit kill. :shrug:

The Q3 GL is a great anti-pursuit weapon. It's saved my rear end several times from some dick chasing me. It's a boring weapon to use, but it works well for that it's made for.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

A bunch of these F2Ps have soccer-themed crossovers. Crossfire, Combat Arms, AVA, etc.
I actually played a bunch of Crossfire a few years back, but the community has become just awful and I swore never to touch it again. I also play Combat Arms...I feel no shame :v: The level design in that is pretty neat actually.

I just tried the CS Nexon: zombies - the game crashes if I try and choose a server but autoplay or whatever worked. So far the one level I played consisted of fighting waves of zombies in one platform for about an hour. There's a lot of stuff to craft though, I'm gonna play it a bit more after work tommorow and kinda wrap my head around if there's anything more to it. I imagine newer maps will be more complex or have at least something else to do.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you check out the Steam guides for DN3D:Megaton Edition, I think there's a guide or a link to get it, or at least a better sounding version.

That's SC-55 music. The SC-88 is a different synth.

(also EDuke32 doesn't recognize bassmidi even though it's my default midi synth and even SDL_mixer applications use it :argh:)

E: actually it does but it only recognizes bassmidi port A even though I have port B selected :psyduck:

Also the EDuke32 software renderer is unacceptably slow. Seriously guys, rendering Duke Nukem 3D in 256 colors is not a tall order for a modern processor.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 24, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Dukehard is pretty cool but I don't think I should be getting booted out to the main menu after beating Map07

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zeether posted:

This will be the best Christmas gift ever.

He started working on it in July. I have no idea what bizarro world he lives in where he thinks that'll be done by December. I hope so, though!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

LvK posted:

Dukehard is pretty cool but I don't think I should be getting booted out to the main menu after beating Map07

I had that problem with the latest official version of EDuke, get one from here instead.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mill Village posted:

I had that problem with the latest official version of EDuke, get one from here instead.

nope :(

(clarification: just downloaded one, loaded my save, re-beat the level, nope)

edit: just manually skipping to map08. I take it I don't unlock anything too cool for beating the episode on difficulty 3?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hell to the Chief is still my favorite Duke3D level of all time.

How does UT2k14 differ from UT3 in gameplay? In videos it's hard to tell because of the reused UT3 assets (I hope they get rid of them)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Amethyst posted:

Bunny hopping and trick jumps are not a problem. The problem is matchmaking. High skill techniques shouldn't be removed because players can't find anyone to play against at an appropriate skill level. The only thing you achieve by lowering the skill ceiling is a shallower game.

I disagree. They cause the same problem fighting games have: you can't actually enjoy the game until you get over this brickwall of skills that fundamentally don't matter to the gameplay. It's like if tapping a land in Magic involved doing an intricate dance or something.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Amethyst posted:

I didn't say that.

Amethyst posted:

You can't hit anything in cod without scoping in. That's already one other thing to learn. You need to learn about the three separate stances if you have any hope of a positive K:D ratio.k

You can't even get a kill in Quake without getting good at trick shots and bunny hopping. If you're going to talk about 'positive K:D ratio', compare that to Quake, in which case your entire argument falls apart.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This thread made it into the big leagues: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667112

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Keiya posted:

You can't even get a kill in Quake without getting good at trick shots and bunny hopping. If you're going to talk about 'positive K:D ratio', compare that to Quake, in which case your entire argument falls apart.

That's complete bullshit. I literally played a whole game of quake yesterday without bunny hopping or trick jumping once and got plenty of kills. You're basing your judgement on 10 year old memories of getting stomped by experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Keiya posted:

I disagree. They cause the same problem fighting games have: you can't actually enjoy the game until you get over this brickwall of skills that fundamentally don't matter to the gameplay. It's like if tapping a land in Magic involved doing an intricate dance or something.

"Skills that fundamentally don't matter to the gameplay"? What the hell does that even mean? This attitude amounts to nothing more than a generalised hostility against competitive game design.

Your magic the gathering analogy makes no sense at all. Video games are a physical activity that test your muscle control and reflexes, a card game is not.