Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

goons posted:

Boxing/Muay Thai CTE Chat

Yeah, you guys are probably right, I'm probably over thinking it as far as the CTE stuff goes. Another reason was that, even though I've read the thread (and a bunch of stuff on Bullshido and Sherdog) and I know the best response to most street confrontations can be summed up as "run > everything else", I just kept reading anecdotes, I think in this thread and elsewhere, talking about guys blowing everyone's mind (including their own) with head slipping when a parking lot shoving match spontaneously escalated into swings. So I thought that, even if I never actually used it in a real situation, it still sounded like something that would be kind of cool to be able to do.

Ligur posted:

(Which doesn't mean it isn't aweome, it is: boxing body and head movement is crazy fun to learn, figure out and practice and makes you dodge 99% of the things life throws at your forehead, pernellwhitakering even one hook feels glorious.)

Hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1t2yAK_wU :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

the JJ posted:

Too much TMA? I know that's why my stance is so erect.

Okay, so I've mostly been coming here to kvetch about not being able to find a gym without, you know, seeking advice. Also I feel less fat since I've been getting back to cardio land.

My problem is I'm sort of in podunk land at the intersection of upper to middle class soccer moms-istan and trashy Walmart fats-ville. And my work schedule is pretty not conducive to normal people hours: I work ~3 to lights out, and my days off are Thurs-Fri so weekend classes are out. On top of that my limited options (lovely TKD McDojo's aside) all seem to put a huge emphasis on fitness and not, you know, punching or hugging mans. I'm sorta hoping that's not a red flag in the same way 'build self-esteem' is since that reads to me as 'buy a black belt for your 8 year old.'

This, dumb pitbull logo aside, looks like the best choice and I like their shots of the facilities but I'm a bit put off by them leading with 'fitness get fit workout get fit.'

I mean, the ultimate answer is to try it out and see if I like it but I was wondering what you all thought about it.

A lot of smaller martial arts gyms that can't whack up a "gracie" banner (and some of those that can) these days cater to fat mums who want to be MILFs and tell their friends they do "kick boxing". It's an easy way to make money. At the end of the day you brand your fight gym a "fitness centre" and you can bring in all the chubby women and men who stay at home with the kids during the day who pay as much as Jimmy the psycho who wants to learn how to legally beat the poo poo out of people in a cage.

It makes sense if you're a gym owner to get people to shadow box, do box jumps, sit ups and push ups, occasionally work a bag and do some minor pad work till they're sweaty and earned their lattes. Their money is as good as anyone's. Some of the best instruction I've ever gotten has come from a gym branded as a "fitness" place.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

BlindSite posted:

A lot of smaller martial arts gyms that can't whack up a "gracie" banner (and some of those that can) these days cater to fat mums who want to be MILFs and tell their friends they do "kick boxing". It's an easy way to make money. At the end of the day you brand your fight gym a "fitness centre" and you can bring in all the chubby women and men who stay at home with the kids during the day who pay as much as Jimmy the psycho who wants to learn how to legally beat the poo poo out of people in a cage.

It makes sense if you're a gym owner to get people to shadow box, do box jumps, sit ups and push ups, occasionally work a bag and do some minor pad work till they're sweaty and earned their lattes. Their money is as good as anyone's. Some of the best instruction I've ever gotten has come from a gym branded as a "fitness" place.

This is very true, my gym has just moved premises and started a "kickboxersize" class 2 weeks ago it already gets equivalent numbers to the main Muay Thai class and my god do those lot love taking sweaty selfies complete with hashtags like #hardcore etc etc. it's kind of endearing and bringing money into the club so it's cool.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
No poo poo about the fitness stuff and money, we have 100+ plus instructed classes a week and most of them sure as hell ain't for the competition team, BJJ or sparring. I actually run two group fitness classes every week myself :) It's fun again (I burned myself out on people flailing about, not being able to tell their left and right arms, but took a break). I can play catchy tunes, make bad jokes and have people sweat and maybe even learn something about striking, if they want to.

But mostly they don't and are just happy to do different body weight exercises and shoving and ramming their limbs against a heavy bag.

The people in these classes are also the people who bring the money which enables the gym to have the facilities we have, and they exercise, some through severe physical limitations, so I couldn't appreciate them more, even though I joke about the newbie fitness boxers/kickboxers ability to distinguish between their left and right side.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 19, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Aight, that was basically what I was hoping to hear, marketing to pull in $$ because actual people who want to get hit in the face are too rare to actually support a good facility. My college dojo just had to call up all the alums because admin tried to take their practice space for Zumba classes so maybe I'm a little reactionary.

On then, to the land of the would-be MILFs.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hell yeah. If your local martial art gym has a ton of cardio/fitness/kids -something classes it's probably because 90% of the people who want to punch, kick and push-up on their way to being more fit don't want to eat liver kicks or uppercuts or get choked while doing so, and they want a fun and safe hobby for their kids.

If the club has some people who compete, a competition team or competition classes on the side (like when it reads "8:30 PM - 9:30 PM - Fight Team No Gi"), you're good. And the fitness class instructors who aren't former competitors are probably not that bad either, either being able to run good group sessions or having some in-depth education in something valuable, or both.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I think my best fitting gi's are lucky gi but they're expensive so I hesitate to recommend them.

I have an Atama that fits nicely as well. I saw a tall thin guy in a lanky gi that fit him well but I think he's heavier.

Origin offers some good options too. I don't own one but they cut a tall version and give you measurements on their site so you can tell wtf an Awhatever really means in their sizing.

Late, sorry, but thanks for this. My plan at the moment is to get some decent measurements taken and send them to Lanky as they offer recommendations. While I'm at it I think I'll write the other brands you mentioned as well and see whether they come back with anything.

the JJ posted:

On then, to the land of the would-be MILFs.

Godspeed, buddy

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How useful/common/detrimental are hand toughening exercises these days? I assume before the advent of gloves making sure you didn't break your hand on someones face would be a thing to be doing.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 19, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KildarX posted:

How useful/common/detrimental are hand toughening exercises these days? I assume before the advent of gloves making sure you didn't break your hand on someones face would be a thing to be doing.

If you do it like my old sensei super detrimental but you don't really notice until its way too late.

Yeah, the 80's were weird and he doesn't let people to that anymore. On the other hand he's got a coupla brick hands. On the other hand... he's got brick hands.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hand toughening comes for free when you put on wraps and gloves and hit the heavy bag for an hour.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
This method also has the bizarre side effect of improving your technique at the same time so do so at your own risk.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My punches are so weak I don't even need to wrap between the knuckles.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So the weight cut I was whining about was in fact the easiest thing in the world. It's really upsetting how much fitter I could be if I exercised a little self control over my eating.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So the weight cut I was whining about was in fact the easiest thing in the world. It's really upsetting how much fitter I could be if I exercised a little self control over my eating.

How much did you end up cutting vs how much you lost vs the 10 days previous to the weigh-in?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any decent guides on cutting they can share?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I cut almost nothing. 12 days out I was 1.7kg over (I thought it was 1.2 but they've just changed the no-gi allowance) and two days out I was 200g over.

Ate a big dinner last night, A small breakfast this morning, I'm 100g under right now, and I compete in about four hours. I'll lose a little more throughout the day which means I can still drink a little water. I'm up first so I'll only get five minutes or less between weigh-in and competition, but I'm only very slightly dehydrated so I'll be in near-peak condition. The whole thing was easy.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I cut almost nothing. 12 days out I was 1.7kg over (I thought it was 1.2 but they've just changed the no-gi allowance) and two days out I was 200g over.

Ate a big dinner last night, A small breakfast this morning, I'm 100g under right now, and I compete in about four hours. I'll lose a little more throughout the day which means I can still drink a little water. I'm up first so I'll only get five minutes or less between weigh-in and competition, but I'm only very slightly dehydrated so I'll be in near-peak condition. The whole thing was easy.

Good luck bro

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Verisimilidude posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any decent guides on cutting they can share?

I've read this one and used some parts of it before: http://www.canadabodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29181&d=1331644566

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This is pretty good too

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

I lost my match on points, but it was pretty fun and when I compare the footage to my last comp a year ago, I can see that I'm a hundred times better, which is cool.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone here go to a Gracie Barra school? Can you talk about your experience? I'm especially interested in their fundamentals curriculum.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone here go to a Gracie Barra school? Can you talk about your experience? I'm especially interested in their fundamentals curriculum.

They teach real BJJ and generally the instructors are decent. But you will be forced to buy their gi, sign a contract, that type of stuff. So somewhat McDojo-ish in that regard.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Thoguh posted:

But you will be forced to buy their gi, sign a contract, that type of stuff. So somewhat McDojo-ish in that regard.

Depends on the school. I go to a GB gym and my experience has been the opposite of the McDojo stuff you hear about Gracie-Barra... I was specifically told not to buy the official gi (it's really poorly made, I'm told) and didn't have to sign a contract.

With that said, I've heard some really lousy things about some GB gyms, not only just what was mentioned about the mandatory gi and contract, but also having to pay more to train once you receive your blue belt, belt promotions being based on attendance rather than improvement and performance, and being restricted to attending 2 classes per week. There are also pictures online of people wearing their belts while training no-gi at GB gyms, which is pretty baffling.

If you do check out your local GB place, ask a lot of questions before you sign up.

Edit: As for my experience, my instructors don't follow the official GB curriculum, so I can't help you there. Here is the best image I can find of the official curriculum though:

A Keg fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 23, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hmm, ok well here are some of the places I'm considering, in order of closest to furthest away. I was originally looking for No Gi BJJ/CSW and some stand up, boxing or Muay Thai, but I'm try to keep my options open. What do you guys think?

1. T-Town MMA

2. Tacoma Boxing Club

3. Team Evolution MMA

4. South Sound Martial Arts (Video)

5. MABJJ Tacoma Jiu-Jitsu & Wrestling Club

6. Gracie Barra Federal Way

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Belts with no gi looks so odd.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

Belts with no gi looks so odd.

Brings up something Ive been thinking about while rolling in no-gi is it bad form to grab your own/others GI pants if they're wearing them also in this case the belt they've decided to wear? I sort of feel as if it's against the spirit of it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KildarX posted:

Brings up something Ive been thinking about while rolling in no-gi is it bad form to grab your own/others GI pants if they're wearing them also in this case the belt they've decided to wear? I sort of feel as if it's against the spirit of it.

I try not to do it, unless we both wear gis and say it's ok to grab them. It also annoys me a lot if someone grabs my gi pants when they aren't wearing any. The occasional accidental grab is fine, but if you're full on grabbing and holding, going pistol grip or whatever gently caress you. I might be too angry :D

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
My school used to be GB and went independent. Our instruction was really great (but that will vary school to school) and the 'required' gis were stiff, over-priced, and didn't hold up too well.

Overall, I found the curriculum pretty good, but it was kind of strange that the three techniques you work in any one class are often unrelated.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

I try not to do it, unless we both wear gis and say it's ok to grab them. It also annoys me a lot if someone grabs my gi pants when they aren't wearing any. The occasional accidental grab is fine, but if you're full on grabbing and holding, going pistol grip or whatever gently caress you. I might be too angry :D

Hahaha, I used to do this to blue belts (as a white belt) all the time at open mat. Sometimes I couldn't be bothered wearing the gi and dudes used to love collar chokes. The rage was never serious but so often I got told I was a oval office for grabbing pants and labels when I wasn't wearing a Gi.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I train at a gracie barra school as well, and what you need to understand is that they are not as monolithic as people make them out to be. It's really like any other school, it depends on the instructor. And he stopped selling the gracie barra gi's because they're garbage, he switched to moya.

KildarX posted:

Of course it is, it's no gi so it's cheating. Obviously it happens to the point I think you should avoid wearing gi pants because people are going to grab them subconsciously (or if they want to quietly bend the rules it's much easier0. If I notice myself grabbing pants I'll let go, if someone is grabbing mine to the point it's restricting I'll say something (not angrily of course) I've honestly never seen someone wear a belt in no gi.

Also you are always allowed to grab your own pants/shorts. It's even legal to do so in professional mma, so no problem there.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Man I'm really loving the mix of BJJ and Judo I'm doing right now. The Judo group ended up being mostly a smaller group of older dudes while the BJJ group is filled with young bucks in drat good shape. I get a brutal workout with the BJJ guys and the Judo side is lighter on the physical stuff and has more technique. Best of both worlds. Plenty of different kinds of training partners on the BJJ side and plenty of time with the instructor on the Judo side.

Rolling around on the mat is tons of fun and I've learned that I'm actually pretty drat nimble. Considering I used to be a 180kg lumbering tub of lard it's god drat liberating to feel like a boa constrictor while defending against someone a head taller than you and 20kg heavier. Judo owns too. Some of the movement is like... Competitive dancing with an unwilling partner or something. drat beautiful to see someone who really knows his stuff do it.

God drat grappling is fun. Now if only I wasn't so bad at it...

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It always sounds BJJ and and Judo work very well together, unlike striking arts like boxing and kickboxing/MT.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ligur posted:

It always sounds BJJ and and Judo work very well together

My (simplistic) view is that BJJ is for ground, and is perfectly complimented by something to get you to the ground in a superior position which is either Judo(gi) or Wrestling(no-gi)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Kekekela posted:

My (simplistic) view is that BJJ is for ground, and is perfectly complimented by something to get you to the ground in a superior position which is either Judo(gi) or Wrestling(no-gi)

I think you might also be correct. Grappling happens on two levels - separately. There is the takedown or the trip, and then rolling around on the mat.

Striking happens on two levels - at the same time. Learning boxing upperbody movement is often detrimental when training in kicking arts because if you are not the Spider, you will duck your way into knees and shins. Boxing will not learn how to deal with low kicks either. MT, kickboxing or Savate will not learn you (at least as effectively) how to deal with a heavy handed and quick fighter who uses punches because you are prepared to dodge or block kicks or knees and he will smash your face and ribs on the ropes and you can't touch him because of his head movement.

AAAAAAAHHHH!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can anyone give me their ideas on traditional martial arts like kung fu/wing chun and their practicality? I was watching some kung fu people in New York and it seemed pretty hokey. Stuff like "If you attacked me from here, you've exposed this area, so I'm going to do this..." and then they proceed to do like 3 or 4 different punches and grabs and it looked really impressive but it also seemed really impractical.

I have a friend who used to practice kung fu (at Bo Law kung fu in NYC) and he has a similar way of showing techniques. I never said anything because I didn't know any better, but looking into it I'm beginning to realize that a lot of that stuff seemed needless and impractical.

I'm just curious for the most part, not trying to put down anyone's chosen martial art.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Can anyone give me their ideas on traditional martial arts like kung fu/wing chun and their practicality? I was watching some kung fu people in New York and it seemed pretty hokey. Stuff like "If you attacked me from here, you've exposed this area, so I'm going to do this..." and then they proceed to do like 3 or 4 different punches and grabs and it looked really impressive but it also seemed really impractical.

I have a friend who used to practice kung fu (at Bo Law kung fu in NYC) and he has a similar way of showing techniques. I never said anything because I didn't know any better, but looking into it I'm beginning to realize that a lot of that stuff seemed needless and impractical.

I'm just curious for the most part, not trying to put down anyone's chosen martial art.

The most practical self defense is not being in a bad situation in the first place. The second most practical is not escalating poo poo. Third is running the hell away. Fourth is whatever you've trained well enough to perform under shittons of adrenaline because holy poo poo this guys is trying to kill me.

A competitively practiced sport martial arts is going to give you the best practice for that fourth option, and is also way more likely to give you a general toolbox you can pull from by reflex instead of some super combo that relies on a highly specific set of circumstances and 100% perfect application of the technique in the chain.

So tai chi is probably "more practical" if you're a dude with anger management issues and that helps you find your Zen. If you want STRAIGHT practical take up running, but if you want a most practical someone jumps you in the street MA the general thread consensus is that a good muay thai or boxing school or judo/BJJ. That said if I ever get jumped the first thing I'd do is probably panic to my karate skill set, straight punches and basic blocks. Which is fine because it's not panicking into nothing. Boxing, judo, jiu jitsu, Muay Thai are all "traditional" by most standards and would be perfectly fine.

Kung fu is a bit weird in that it's a big umberella that can cover a big range of showy or form based to actually sparring. I'll say that I've never been impressed by a westerner doing Kung fu though. A lot of the sillier stuff became super popular over here. Something about the 80s man...

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I do Wing Chun consistently, and from what I can tell so far most of it is extremely impractical* from a self defense stand point or for sport fighting purpose, but it made me think more about body mechanics and power generation[The "Chun" punch can generate a fair bit of power without a lot of loading] and weird hand fighting techniques for the purposes of CSW. Chun tends to get a lot of bad rap because a lot of exclusively Wing Chun dudes, or at least a sizable amount of them that I've met, are "nerds" that believe Chun is possibly the greatest self defense ever. It's kinda weird because the Sifu[Head of the School] pretty much requires you to cross train a tiny bit of Muay Thai and either CSW or BJJ to progress beyond the first two or three ranks.

I find that pretty much Judo, San Da, Muay Thai, boxing, some schools of Karate, and Kali/Silat/w.e are pretty much the only "practical" from either a sport or self defence stance from some research.

* I have only been doing Chun for five or so months in total, and there may very well be people who are exclusively Chun Artists who can kick a ton of rear end.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 24, 2014

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Wing Chun sparring vids I found on youtube look like this to me: :sissies:

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to train but your friend is delusional.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvCFrf9kJwI

The Wing Chun guy is slapping furiously but the Karate guy is still getting punches through his field of wild slaps here.

A Keg fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

:colbert: I will be the goddamn pattycake champion.

If you're bored and want more reading into it on you tube China Boxer and 138mws[Master Wong] are from what I've seen closest on youtube to being legit for "practical" Wing Chun. v:shobon:v

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 24, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Verisimilidude posted:

Any technique that isn't reinforced with many hours of live sparring against resisting opponents isn't worth a whole lot, which is why the most effective martial arts for 'real' fighting (whatever that means) tend to also be combat sports -- the sport component is incredibly important for being able to safely practice the techniques at full force. Then you build on those fundamentals and adapt them to more dangerous non-sport situations.

There's a reason when you look at old martial arts manuals produced when people actually fought each other in hand to hand combat, you see wrestling moves, foot sweeps, hip throws, elbows and knees to the face, basically all the same stuff you see in MMA.

I mean, a demo is not live resistance work, there's nothing wrong with saying 'okay you can block a strike in this way and wrap up the arm, then punch them here or knee them there and try to take it to the ground and finish with strikes to the head etc' and even showing it in a stylized way in a demo. The problem is when you're showing those concepts to people who don't know how to control someone through hundreds of hours of grappling or wrestling experience, don't know how to block from thousands of strikes being thrown at them for real in sparring, and can't throw effective punches or kicks because they haven't done it thousands of times against someone who knows how to defend themselves and is trying to hit you back. There also needs to be an awareness about the difference in how things work and look against a fully resisting opponent.

You can put together effective wrestling and striking techniques and have students doing live sparring work and call it kung fu if you want, there's no kung fu authority to tell you a kick is 'wrong' because it wasn't thrown from Crane Stance. Generally speaking, though, kung fu and wing chun instruction is not practical because there is a lack of live work -- and if they did live work, you'd see the techniques start to look a lot more like the combat sport martial arts, and less like what you see in the demos or wushu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

A Keg posted:

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to train but your friend is delusional.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvCFrf9kJwI

The Wing Chun guy is slapping furiously but the Karate guy is still getting punches through his field of wild slaps here.

What the gently caress is that karate guy throwing though? Jesus.

But yeah, I've done some wing chun at a MMA place that did chun, wrassling, and some muay thai. The blocks were pretty solid, the chun punch is surprisingly good for some situations, and some of the hand control isn't totally useless.

• Locked thread