Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Boys is still pretty great as a whole though. Sure it has some that's a little far ,but honestly it's believable in context of the world. It's got a pretty strong relationship story which Ennis is really drat good at knocking it out of the park with, for all his cynism he's actually a romantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

The Boys is still pretty great as a whole though. Sure it has some that's a little far ,but honestly it's believable in context of the world. It's got a pretty strong relationship story which Ennis is really drat good at knocking it out of the park with, for all his cynism he's actually a romantic.

Same as how the marriage in the very, very bleak arc "Widowmaker" is shown to be the source of the cop's strength.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's a new comic sequel to the movie coming out in October. Story title is Uprise, comes in two parts.

The Illustrated Screenplay is out now. 240 pages including the full pre-production version of the script and Jock's concept art.

Lastly, October 1st is Dredd Day 2014. We are exhorted to spam Facebook and Twitter, tell all our friends, and buy further copies of the DVD/BD for the two people we know who still don't have one. Apparently last September's push sent the movie to the top of the disc sales charts and added 30,000 names to the "Make a Sequel" petition.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/dredd-exec-producer-says-dark-judges-miniseries-coming-later-this-month

Not a sequel, but a step in the right direction. Hopefully this will help push the sequel campaign a bit further.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spalec posted:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/dredd-exec-producer-says-dark-judges-miniseries-coming-later-this-month

Not a sequel, but a step in the right direction. Hopefully this will help push the sequel campaign a bit further.
Oh, no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Hell yea, I'll take it. How many total minutes do you think the series will be? 45 minutes, or 2-3hrs?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hard to say, and I can't find specifics anywhere, but figure minimum of 5 minutes per episode with seven eps would mean 35 minutes at least. I'd be shocked if it was more than 15 minutes per ep, so hour and forty five on the outside. I'd guess probably like ten minutes per episode sounds most reasonable, so I'd put it probably at one hour and ten minutes or thereabouts. That's my guess, anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spalec posted:

It would help if that guy's last "bootleg" short didn't suck balls through a hose.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Is Urban going to be in it?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Probably not, maybe a cameo but it sounds like this is a cheap 'fanfilm' type of production while Urban has been busy filming movies in NZ this year, but who knows.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Urban going to be in it?

It's probably going to take place in a city, yeah

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jedit posted:

The Illustrated Screenplay is out now. 240 pages including the full pre-production version of the script and Jock's concept art.

Yeah, thanks for the heads-up. I ordered my copy from Book Depository right after you posted this and it just arrived now. It's really cool to see the props up close in the book as well and definitely worth getting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I still think the best thing about the Stallone movie is that Rico violently, bombastically escapes from prison and no one gives a poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I still think the best thing about the Stallone movie is that Rico violently, bombastically escapes from prison and no one gives a poo poo.

It's more that they cover how he gets out of his cell (or, at least, how he kills the first two guys) and then skips the other 99% of the escape.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's more that they cover how he gets out of his cell (or, at least, how he kills the first two guys) and then skips the other 99% of the escape.
They didn't need to show more of it, really; since he was being helped to escape anyway, it's easy to take it as read that somebody in the morgue looked the other way when the bodybags were being loaded.

I thought it was funnier that the huge gently caress-off autocannons guarding Rico's cell keyed in on voiceprints and nothing else. What if the warden has a cold?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Payndz posted:

They didn't need to show more of it, really; since he was being helped to escape anyway, it's easy to take it as read that somebody in the morgue looked the other way when the bodybags were being loaded.

I thought it was funnier that the huge gently caress-off autocannons guarding Rico's cell keyed in on voiceprints and nothing else. What if the warden has a cold?

Look, you're never going to be a Warden in TV or Movies with that attitude. Why, I bet your prisoner transfers go off without a hitch too!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm rather glad they changed the ending from what was in the script. The scripted one would've made me a bit uncomfortable.

Ma-Ma, who is scripted as being a rather portly woman, gets the jump on Anderson and Dredd when they clear her room by jumping through a ceiling mirror. Anderson takes a couple of hits. Dredd disarms Ma-Ma by tearing the gun out of her hands with so much force that it breaks her fingers, and proceeds to batter the poo poo out of her before giving her a dose of Slo-Mo, judging her and then executing her by punching her in the face so hard she goes through the window and falls to her death.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm not sure how that's worse from what we got.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I'm not sure how that's worse from what we got.

At least he doesn't punch her in the face repeatedly. The ending we got was toned down considerably from what was scripted.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

I'm rather glad they changed the ending from what was in the script. The scripted one would've made me a bit uncomfortable.
The entire film is meant to make you uncomfortable though, Dredd and the system he supports being harshly authoritarian and excessively violent.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Ma-Ma, who is scripted as being a rather portly woman, gets the jump on Anderson and Dredd when they clear her room by jumping through a ceiling mirror. Anderson takes a couple of hits. Dredd disarms Ma-Ma by tearing the gun out of her hands with so much force that it breaks her fingers, and proceeds to batter the poo poo out of her before giving her a dose of Slo-Mo, judging her and then executing her by punching her in the face so hard she goes through the window and falls to her death.
Wow they really made Dredd likable in the movie.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Wow they really made Dredd likable in the movie.

Humanizing a Judge, 5 years isocubes.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vagabundo posted:

If Ma Ma does a mans job then she should be expected to be judged like a man

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vagabundo posted:

This would have worked fabulously with the Fist Of Dredd-quote.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Burning people alive, OK
Punching a woman who just shot your partner and killed hundreds of people, not OK

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Terror Sweat posted:

Burning people alive, OK
Punching a woman who just shot your partner and killed hundreds of people, not OK

The particular quality of up close and personal violence isn't that easily dismissable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it might shock you to hear it but to some a woman being punched repeatedly in the face by a large man is something of a touchy subject

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
More to the point, is the movie's message stronger if Dredd's violence is sanitized, or so overwhelming that we can easily hate him for it?

(I don't have an answer yet.)

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Dredd sees everyone equally. Mama did bad things. The fact that she is a woman is irrelevant. Everyone gazes into the fist of Dredd. He is the ultimate feminist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it might shock you to hear it but to some a woman being punched repeatedly in the face by a large man is something of a touchy subject

Even if he did it to a man, it is qualitatively different.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even if he did it to a man, it is qualitatively different.

Sure, although in that case it's worth noting that Dredd does lay a pretty vicious beating on Avon Barksdale.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sure, although in that case it's worth noting that Dredd does lay a pretty vicious beating on Avon Barksdale.

He does, but he's not like breaking his fingers and poo poo and getting off on killing the bad guy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He does, but he's not like breaking his fingers and poo poo and getting off on killing the bad guy.

Yeah Dredd's "judgment" there is all the more brutal for how cold and simple it is. Plus I wouldn't trade that one shot of Ma-Ma willingly inhaling the slo-mo for the world.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Exactly. Him looking on sternly with a dirty American flag behind him is more Dredd than him chimping out on somebody.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it wrong to pine for more people being punched out of windows of really tall buildings in these kind of movies? It was pretty great in Robocop.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Is it wrong to pine for more people being punched out of windows of really tall buildings in these kind of movies? It was pretty great in Robocop.

Hell no, I love it when the climactic battle happens somewhere north of 20 stories and you know some motherfucker's taking a dive through the plate glass.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Hell no, I love it when the climactic battle happens somewhere north of 20 stories and you know some motherfucker's taking a dive through the plate glass.
I didn't even think of that as a theme, but now I'm trying to think of others.

Die Hard

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McSpanky posted:

That this did not happen was by far the worst thing about the new RobCop.

KoRMaK posted:

Die Hard

Batman 89

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

KoRMaK posted:

Die Hard

Watchmen

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Batman Returns. Not climactic but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Timby posted:

Batman Returns. Not climactic but still.

Also not climactic but similar example: the hotel room fight in the Burj Khalifa in MI4: Ghost Protocol.

• Locked thread