Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least the screen doesn't break and that's what's really important, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Buzzfeed finally posted their :siren: BEND-GHAZI :siren: article with a whole 2 more bend pics, so clearly this is an epidemic.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Feenix posted:

Yeah I'd say anyone who has the impulse to forcefully bend their expensive device is definitely a big problem. ;)

If it bends with normal use though that is a problem. (In pockets, etc)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

withak posted:

Someone with access to a decent load frame needs to do some flexural strength testing on a selection of jumbophones.
Yeah, I'd love to see if you could bend a Note 4.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone go to the Apple Store and confirm the bend test?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Here's a video I made demonstrating a carefully planned iPhone 6+ car mount: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVcSv9TE338

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samara posted:

If it bends with normal use though that is a problem. (In pockets, etc)

Yes I was just making a snarky joke. :)

eriddy posted:

Here's a video I made demonstrating a carefully planned iPhone 6+ car mount: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVcSv9TE338

This is excellent. The one thing I felt like I was missing in the display of the iPhone six was two orange rubber strips obstructing my view of the display. Fantastic work! :-)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 24, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

withak posted:

Someone with access to a decent load frame needs to do some flexural strength testing on a selection of jumbophones.

Consumer reports did a {flat} pressure test on the LG Flex, they might do a bend test on other phablets if the 6+ bending is actually a thing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Yes I was just making a snarky joke. :)

Feenix posted:

This is excellent. The one thing I felt like I was missing in the display of the iPhone six was two orange rubber strips obstructing my view of the display. Fantastic work! :-)

Perhaps snarky jokes aren't exactly your thing...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm snarking it wrong.

In all seriousness, I dictated that last post and realtime text display on dictation is such a game changer. Takes dictating text from a gimmick to an actual useful tool.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Samara posted:

So this is the next big problem huh

http://youtu.be/znK652H6yQM

Missed opportunity to title this video "Will It Bend?"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

iPhone 6 bendgate is going to be a real thing because people don't understand the difference between plastic and metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

"The Galaxy Note 3 survives the exact same bend test that the iPhone 6 Plus failed. That I did not expect with a plastic build."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone commenting on the flexural behavior of cell phones should be required to submit relevant coursework in materials science or engineering mechanics.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Is the 6 bending like the 6+ too? I know someone mentioned in this thread that you shouldn't put a phone in your pocket, but that is asinine. Every phone I ever had has spent most of its nonuse time in my pants pocket. Only when I wear a jacket with an inner pocket I put my phone somewhere else beside my pants pocket.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nate fisher posted:

Is the 6 bending like the 6+ too? I know someone mentioned in this thread that you shouldn't put a phone in your pocket, but that is asinine. Every phone I ever had has spent most of its nonuse time in my pants pocket. Only when I wear a jacket with an inner pocket I put my phone somewhere else beside my pants pocket.
There's nothing wrong with putting your phone in your front pocket. If your phone is bending simply because you put it in your front pocket then you have really weird shaped thighs and also probably some extremely tight pants.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

mango sentinel posted:

Buzzfeed finally posted their :siren: BEND-GHAZI :siren: article with a whole 2 more bend pics, so clearly this is an epidemic.

Called it!

How sensationalized is it?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Good thing I'm one of those insufferable people whose phone is always out and I don't actually interact with the people I'm around.

As for the "hey siri" thing: I brought my charger into the kitchen and left my phone plugged in while I prepared and cooked dinner. I would say that the usefulness and practicality of it was pretty piss poor in a real environment. I will add that I was listening to music at a moderate level and I'm sure that interfered in some of the cases. But really the biggest problem is that it doesn't understand that I'm saying "hey Siri" in the first place. I've had to adapt how I pronounce Siri to rhyme with eerie and really annunciate the syllables. Then when it does hear me it's a 50/50 decision on whether it will start listening for further commands or just think that all I wanted to do was loving say hello and she just says hi back. In the best case scenario you say "hey Siri" immediately followed by your command and it hears everything and does it right. That was, sadly, a small fraction of the times I tried talking to my phone.

It's a great feature and when it works it's awesome. But it was barely usable in my one real test of its efficiency. Also iOS 8 is buggy as gently caress I can't wait for the inevitable update holy poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That *is* how you pronounce Siri.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Called it!

How sensationalized is it?

It's on the front page of my local news as well: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/bendgate-apple-iphone-6-plus-found-bending-in-pants-pockets-20140924-10l5qm.html

Comments full of Android fanboys as you'd expect.

Honestly, overall I'd say it's a bit of a non-issue given that there's probably tens of thousands of them out there by now, and there's only a handful of bending reports. Something to be aware of I guess, but unlikely to affect you unless you do something out of the ordinary!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Got my iPhone 6 today. Really enjoying it so far. Question to anyone who got the 6+: Do you have gigantism? How big are your hands? That thing seems way too big for anyone of normal proportions to use.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Bending sorta makes sense a device that big and thin made of aluminum just might but I wouldn't worry too much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

blakout posted:

Bending sorta makes sense a device that big and thin made of aluminum just might but I wouldn't worry too much.
Where is the bendgate about my muffin tins and baking sheets?!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

There's nothing wrong with putting your phone in your front pocket. If your phone is bending simply because you put it in your front pocket then you have really weird shaped thighs and also probably some extremely tight pants.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wow thanks for hacking my icloud jerk :rolleyes:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Feenix posted:

That *is* how you pronounce Siri.

Ask your phone "how do you pronounce your name" and she responds with a pronunciation like that sounds like "silly" but with an R.

Regardless of pronunciation it wasn't as reliable as I had hoped. Like I said: awesome when it works but wish it was more consistent.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Good thing I'm one of those insufferable people whose phone is always out and I don't actually interact with the people I'm around.

As for the "hey siri" thing: I brought my charger into the kitchen and left my phone plugged in while I prepared and cooked dinner. I would say that the usefulness and practicality of it was pretty piss poor in a real environment. I will add that I was listening to music at a moderate level and I'm sure that interfered in some of the cases. But really the biggest problem is that it doesn't understand that I'm saying "hey Siri" in the first place. I've had to adapt how I pronounce Siri to rhyme with eerie and really annunciate the syllables. Then when it does hear me it's a 50/50 decision on whether it will start listening for further commands or just think that all I wanted to do was loving say hello and she just says hi back. In the best case scenario you say "hey Siri" immediately followed by your command and it hears everything and does it right. That was, sadly, a small fraction of the times I tried talking to my phone.

It's a great feature and when it works it's awesome. But it was barely usable in my one real test of its efficiency. Also iOS 8 is buggy as gently caress I can't wait for the inevitable update holy poo poo.
How were you pronouncing Siri before??? :psyberger:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Ask your phone "how do you pronounce your name" and she responds with a pronunciation like that sounds like "silly" but with an R.

What do you have your language/location set to? Maybe this is different for UK Siri or something?

If so, it's funny in that case that they would change how Siri pronounces its name but not what it responds to.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Regardless of pronunciation it wasn't as reliable as I had hoped. Like I said: awesome when it works but wish it was more consistent.
It literally sounds like eerie with an S in front of it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do you pronounce "silly" like "see-lee"?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

withak posted:

Anyone commenting on the flexural behavior of cell phones should be required to submit relevant coursework in materials science or engineering mechanics.

Is there a chance the phone could bend?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What do you have your language/location set to? Maybe this is different for UK Siri or something?

If so, it's funny in that case that they would change how Siri pronounces its name but not what it responds to.

Pretty sure she uses two pronunciations. Seeree and sirree. Or it sounds like that.

http://clyp.it/oqyxj2hj

I put a lot more effort into this than I should have.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tuyop posted:

Pretty sure she uses two pronunciations. Seeree and sirree. Or it sounds like that.

http://clyp.it/oqyxj2hj

I put a lot more effort into this than I should have.

Those all sound exactly the same, like putting an s in front of eerie, to me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know, 2 and 4 sound much softer in the first I to me. But this is a bit seely.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

One sounds like sirry and another sounds like seerie, so I guess both are correct?

For what it's worth, the Australian voice says it closer to Sirry more often than not.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Any word on whether third-party keyboards will soon support voice dictation? I know SwiftKey doesn't.

That's a big downside for me, as I really wanted to exclusively use SwiftKey. I have gotten very accustomed to the swiping.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Well sorry for striking up pronunciation chat. Now that I'm in my quiet room it seems either way of saying it pulls it up. Which could probably mean that the music I was listening to was really loving with how well the phone heard me. It really wasn't that loud at all. It's odd because I can be in a car with loud music playing and ask "what song is this" and it filters out the music really well to hear my question.

All in all, Siri is inconsistent just like she always has been. What a gal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Brock Landers posted:

Is there a chance the phone could bend?

Everything bends.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Everything bends.

If you give it a moment.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Bend it like Shirri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
This bending scandal kind of reminds me of the thing they had with the 4(?) where people would lose reception if they held it the wrong way.