Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

You're in the desert, you see a turtle on its back, it's belly baking in the sun.... but you don't help it turn over. Why aren't you helping?

Remember if he gets this wrong it's not considered rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Calaveron posted:

At the same time? With the same shot? Man I shoulda been lethal zookeeper!

The lynx has to be in front.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Not only that, but he correctly finds the neck veins every single time, even when they are thrashing or fighting against him. Every single time, needle on neck, instantly out.
I started watching Fringe the other day and there's an episode where they make a cure for something that has to be injected directly into the bloodstream. Through circumstances it ends up that the victim has to inject herself while under great distress and it goes from "inject it in the neck veins" to "ram it in the general vicinity of your neck." Although I suppose Fringe being what it is it's not particularly surprising.

You don't even want to know what it was a cure for.

Aggressive pricing posted:

Tell that to them:

If I was the guy in front or the one behind him I'd probably be a lot more smug.

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The AI isn't in his phone, he just uses the phone to talk to her. I assume she's in his computer at home, as when she stops answering and he freaks out, he rushes towards home to check what's goin on.

Same complaint regardless, it's not like computers are orders of magnitude better than phones like they'd need to be. Like I said though, it's a spergy complaint.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
This annoyed me in "The Conjuring".

MIRRORS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. If your focus is close, then all the stuff being reflected in the mirror should be blurry too.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Non Serviam posted:

I watched Edge of Darkness.
At the very beginning Mel Gibson goes to the pathologist to identify the body of his daughter. I'm pretty sure that this is not part of the procedure when the body was been identified by other methods, as well as a shitload of people.

In many (maybe even most?) U.S. jurisdictions, a spouse or other immediate family member is asked to formally identify the body, even if the coroner is 100% sure of the deceased's identity. There are a few reasons for this, but it's mostly so the coroner's conclusion can be corroborated by someone who absolutely knows the deceased better than anyone, or in case he made a mistake.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

I started watching Fringe the other day and there's an episode where they make a cure for something that has to be injected directly into the bloodstream. Through circumstances it ends up that the victim has to inject herself while under great distress and it goes from "inject it in the neck veins" to "ram it in the general vicinity of your neck." Although I suppose Fringe being what it is it's not particularly surprising.

If it was for your posting, modern medicine was probably ill equipped.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sorry I and the others made you watch 12 Monkeys :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frostwerks posted:

Remember if he gets this wrong it's not considered rape.

I don't know what noises turtles make, but whatever they are, you need to learn that they mean "No".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Was that the one with the exploding microwave brains?

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I was re watching Layer Cake, and it never made since to me why XXXX just straight up disses Dragan (the Serbian assassin who is going around cutting peoples heads off) over the phone like if he was some chump. Especially since Dragan was being so cordial and politely asking questions rather than just catching XXXX and torturing the poo poo out of him.

Also while i'm on Daniel Craig films, is it me or does M just make terrible decisions throughout the entire film. First she orders Naomie Harris to take a risky shot for no real reason. I mean Bond is still fighting the guy, they are on a train , trains only move on rails! Just get someone to meet it on the other side or the next station. They later mention that the CIA was already monitoring the guys movements so why all the mystery?

Later on she sends Bond and Harris to Macau in order to rectify the earlier bungled mission, M sends the same exact agents who allegedly hosed it up in the first place, hell one of them isn't even fully trained and the other isn't fit for duty. Their seem to be only three agents in the whole of MI6 , including one who died in the first 5 minutes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

You're in the desert, you see a turtle on its back, it's belly baking in the sun.... but you don't help it turn over. Why aren't you helping?

Because I am also a turtle.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jerusalem posted:

Too busy raping robots obviously.

Edit:

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Sep 22, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Ignite Memories posted:

In x-men 2 he rewrites fake cerebro by moving around some metal panels which were somehow integral to its function. This is one of the only things i still really hate about X2.

Wasn't it in the plot that he helped build it, though? Maybe he knew "swap abc circuits for xyz and it will recalibrate it to do whatever."

Either way it's nothing to his incredibly idiotic plan at the end of Days of Future Past. The entire conflict of the film revolves around humanity perceiving mutants as a threat so they make a superweapon that eradicates them. This is literally explained to him in detail and the primary objective of the first two acts. In order to prevent humanity from perceiving mutants as a threat, he... Hijacks a superweapon on national television and holds the POTUS hostage with it while making threats towards humanity. Sure, you may have caused one superweapon project to be discredited, but now you've focused the entire world's attention on doing exactly what you set out to stop them from doing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, his plan to stop the government from getting raven's dna by shooting her and dragging her bloody leg around was pretty retarded too.

Can we have a smart magneto someday?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sorry I and the others made you watch 12 Monkeys :(

It was actually pretty good. Visually awesome but that's Gilliam anyways.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EmmyOk posted:

Nope. After it bursts out of Kane it skitters away, and later when it's shown to be fullsize all of the crew and Jones the cat are uneaten. I'm assuming Alien is old enough that I don't need to spoiler tag it?

IIRC, maybe that tool xenomrph will come in and set it straight, but in the original screenplay/novelization, it went through the kitchen and noshed on everything.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

IIRC, maybe that tool xenomrph will come in and set it straight, but in the original screenplay/novelization, it went through the kitchen and noshed on everything.

They are bugs. They will definitely get in your cupboards and eat your cereal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What annoyed me about Days of Future Past is that they set it up that the first three films had indeed happened and that it all began in the 70s. Which means in the original trilogy there should have been Sentinels.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I remember reading in one of the comics or novellas or something that the alien ate a combination of organic and inorganic matter. Like it could gnaw on the side of the ship or a bulkhead or whatever for sustenance. I have no idea if those sources are canon, but it seemed like a reasonable explanation when I was 14. I think they also addressed the accelerated growth thing too. I can't remember what the explanation was though. What Alien needed was a musical montage showing the little guy eating and exercising as it bulked up to kill the crew.

One thing that has always bugged me about the movies (the first two at least) is why send a crew of what are basically truck drivers or marines to ferry the alien back to their research facilities? It was sort of addressed in Aliens with the getting it through quarantine thing, but wouldn't it have made much more sense to send out a team equipped to capture and contain a hostile creature? I guess then we wouldn't have the movies the way they are, with a bunch of ill-equipped idiots getting murdered by a monster, but it has always irritated me that the basic premise has some built in flaws.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wasn't the discovery of the alien(s) coincidental in both movies? The Nostromo was a mining ship that happened to get called aside to check out an alien wreck. I assumed Bishop's programming was just 'if you guys find an alien bring it home no matter what', not that they were specifically sent out there to fetch a beastie.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
It's been a while since I've watched the first one, but I'm pretty sure that the data that Dallas came upon when he was using the mainframe terminal said something about returning the life form if possible and that the crew was expendable and so on. It seemed to imply that someone knew there was a potentially dangerous creature out there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Wasn't the discovery of the alien(s) coincidental in both movies? The Nostromo was a mining ship that happened to get called aside to check out an alien wreck. I assumed Bishop's programming was just 'if you guys find an alien bring it home no matter what', not that they were specifically sent out there to fetch a beastie.

HairyManling posted:

It's been a while since I've watched the first one, but I'm pretty sure that the data that Dallas came upon when he was using the mainframe terminal said something about returning the life form if possible and that the crew was expendable and so on. It seemed to imply that someone knew there was a potentially dangerous creature out there.

Ripley discovered that in the mainframe not Dallas. Also Ash replaced their normal Science Officer at very short notice on orders from command for that trip. That means that most likely they suspected a creature of being there. Also in the second film [Paul Reiser's] character believes Ripley and sends a group to the co-ordinates she says the Alien ship would be at.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HairyManling posted:

I remember reading in one of the comics or novellas or something that the alien ate a combination of organic and inorganic matter. Like it could gnaw on the side of the ship or a bulkhead or whatever for sustenance. I have no idea if those sources are canon, but it seemed like a reasonable explanation when I was 14. I think they also addressed the accelerated growth thing too. I can't remember what the explanation was though. What Alien needed was a musical montage showing the little guy eating and exercising as it bulked up to kill the crew.

One thing that has always bugged me about the movies (the first two at least) is why send a crew of what are basically truck drivers or marines to ferry the alien back to their research facilities? It was sort of addressed in Aliens with the getting it through quarantine thing, but wouldn't it have made much more sense to send out a team equipped to capture and contain a hostile creature? I guess then we wouldn't have the movies the way they are, with a bunch of ill-equipped idiots getting murdered by a monster, but it has always irritated me that the basic premise has some built in flaws.

Please don't try to mash Jurassic Park 2 into Aliens.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Ripley discovered that in the mainframe not Dallas. Also Ash replaced their normal Science Officer at very short notice on orders from command for that trip. That means that most likely they suspected a creature of being there. Also in the second film [Paul Reiser's] character believes Ripley and sends a group to the co-ordinates she says the Alien ship would be at.

That's in the long cut, but yeah he's a scumbag in either version. He locks Ripley and Newt in with the facehugger and she pieces things together for the marines right before they cut the lights.

Also right before Hicks would have done the necessary.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

What annoyed me about Days of Future Past is that they set it up that the first three films had indeed happened and that it all began in the 70s. Which means in the original trilogy there should have been Sentinels.

I assume that in the original timeline with Trask being dead, it takes longer to get the Sentinels up and running without him and nothing gets released until the flawless high-tech versions in the "present (future?) time."

The lovely '70s versions only get released when Trask is alive to pressure Nixon to set them loose right away.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

EmmyOk posted:

In the second one, the Company knew that recovering a dangerous alien life form would be massively illegal and subject to government interference through legal channels. Burke was there to find some way of getting a specimen back in case they found anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HairyManling posted:

Ash's special order reads "Retrieve alien life form, priority 1. All other priorities rescinded. Crew expendable". That's not an implication, it's fully explicit: the Company knew about the ship on LV-426.

E: It's also an order from high up, which is why Burke doesn't know about it in Aliens and has to initiate his own investigation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

In the second one, the Company knew that recovering a dangerous alien life form would be massively illegal and subject to government interference through legal channels. Burke was there to find some way of getting a specimen back in case they found anything.

Speaking of which, his plan to smuggle the Alines back was bonkers. He was trying to infect Ripley and Newt and then what? All the marines would notice the facehuggers and after they fall off Ripley has a while before she gets chest busted. Long enough to explain what happened but not long enough to get her back to Earth.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of which, his plan to smuggle the Alines back was bonkers. He was trying to infect Ripley and Newt and then what? All the marines would notice the facehuggers and after they fall off Ripley has a while before she gets chest busted. Long enough to explain what happened but not long enough to get her back to Earth.

Everyone with an alien inside gets cryo-frozen, everyone without an alien inside gets sabotaged cryo-tubes to eliminate witnesses.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Ash's special order reads "Retrieve alien life form, priority 1. All other priorities rescinded. Crew expendable". That's not an implication, it's fully explicit: the Company knew about the ship on LV-426.

Ok then my irrationally irritating movie moment stands. Sending a scientist and a bunch of truckers to retrieve a horribly dangerous creature probably wasn't the smartest idea.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

Everyone with an alien inside gets cryo-frozen, everyone without an alien inside gets sabotaged cryo-tubes to eliminate witnesses.

I was thinking that but it simply wouldn't work. If they have facehuggers on them I can't see the marines agreeing to bring the bodies with them while trying to fight their way out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

I was thinking that but it simply wouldn't work. If they have facehuggers on them I can't see the marines agreeing to bring the bodies with them while trying to fight their way out.

The facehugger in Alien did the deed then came off. Easy enough to get someone to agree to freeze them until you can check them out and fix what happened, I would think.

As for "fight their way out", there's the old "never leave a man behind" thing, which isn't just movie stuff and leads to a bunch of people getting killed even in real life.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Frostwerks posted:

It was actually pretty good. Visually awesome but that's Gilliam anyways.

Yeah. Seconding this. What's wrong with 12 Monkeys? I mean beside there not being 13 monkeys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. Seconding this. What's wrong with 12 Monkeys? I mean beside there not being 13 monkeys.

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with that movie. It shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HairyManling posted:

Ok then my irrationally irritating movie moment stands. Sending a scientist and a bunch of truckers to retrieve a horribly dangerous creature probably wasn't the smartest idea.

The alien was never meant to be born before the Nostromo reached Earth. The idea was that one or more crew would be impregnated, then they would go into hypersleep before reaching the chestburster stage and taken straight to a secure facility once they got back to Earth - basically Burke's plan in the second movie. This plan was only derailed because they couldn't foresee that Kane would be so hungry that he'd want to eat before going into hypersleep.

If the alien did get loose on the ship, though, Ash had a secondary plan to kill all the crew then pilot the ship home by himself. He would be perfectly safe in doing this; the alien would ignore him because he's an android. You can see this in what happens to the crew. First Ash suggests spreading out to find the creature with weapons he knows to be inadequate, getting Brett killed; then he convinces Dallas to track it into the air ducts by telling Dallas it's an animal and hence afraid of fire when he knows full well it isn't either. Ash is deliberately killing off the male crew members because he knows he can overpower both the women at the same time. This plan only fails because Ripley discovers the Special Order before Ash can make a plan to kill Parker.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jedit posted:

E: It's also an order from high up, which is why Burke doesn't know about it in Aliens and has to initiate his own investigation.

Man, it's really been forever since I've seen that movie, but I thought he had to basically 'call in' to get that order. I.e., he reported what they'd found, and that they only then told him that the retrieval of the life form was his #1 priority.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Man, it's really been forever since I've seen that movie, but I thought he had to basically 'call in' to get that order. I.e., he reported what they'd found, and that they only then told him that the retrieval of the life form was his #1 priority.

He ignored Ripley's orders and broke quarantine to let everyone back on the ship after Kane was attacked by the facehugger, so he was following those orders right from the get-go.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

The alien was never meant to be born before the Nostromo reached Earth. The idea was that one or more crew would be impregnated, then they would go into hypersleep before reaching the chestburster stage and taken straight to a secure facility once they got back to Earth - basically Burke's plan in the second movie. This plan was only derailed because they couldn't foresee that Kane would be so hungry that he'd want to eat before going into hypersleep.

If the alien did get loose on the ship, though, Ash had a secondary plan to kill all the crew then pilot the ship home by himself. He would be perfectly safe in doing this; the alien would ignore him because he's an android. You can see this in what happens to the crew. First Ash suggests spreading out to find the creature with weapons he knows to be inadequate, getting Brett killed; then he convinces Dallas to track it into the air ducts by telling Dallas it's an animal and hence afraid of fire when he knows full well it isn't either. Ash is deliberately killing off the male crew members because he knows he can overpower both the women at the same time. This plan only fails because Ripley discovers the Special Order before Ash can make a plan to kill Parker.

Assuming that the second best scenario (in Waland-Yutani's eyes, anyway) does occur and the alien gets chest-birthed and all the crew gets murdered leaving Ash to happily fly the ship home, what is expected to happen to the xenomorph? Can they go into a hibernation periods or was it supposed to starve to death, and having a dead xenomorph is better than no xenomorph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The facehugger in Alien did the deed then came off. Easy enough to get someone to agree to freeze them until you can check them out and fix what happened, I would think.

As for "fight their way out", there's the old "never leave a man behind" thing, which isn't just movie stuff and leads to a bunch of people getting killed even in real life.

It took a while to come off. The point is that when it comes off Ripley will know she's been implanted with eggs.

Who What Now posted:

Can they go into a hibernation periods or was it supposed to starve to death, and having a dead xenomorph is better than no xenomorph?

Like so much better