Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthanpleased
Sep 18, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

This thread really is a helpful reminder as to how 4e fans were different from the 5e trash. 4e fans are more then ready to talk about 4e's flaws. There's far too much chaff in feats and powers. Numbers and skill gaps get too high at higher levels. Some classes lack needed support, others have too much. The focus on status effects in later levels leads to unintuitive defensive needs. High paragon and epic gets bogged down by choice paralysis. Certain group combos destroy the game balance. Attribute scores, despite being one of the first things you choose on your character, have extreme long term effects that can screw over players. The overall design leads to heavy usage of "builds." These are all flaws that 4e fans talk about at length.

Meanwhile in this thread literally any complaint at all, be it about game design or adventure design or even about the actual math that makes up the game itself, is handwaved away by "OK BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CIRCUMSTANCES?" because babbies can't handle their mommy having any flaws.

During the era of 4e I was always struck by how the people who insisted they had lost the first round of the grand Edition War consistently demonstrated that if they had to be losers they would at least be sore losers. It comes as no surprise that, now that they've "won" they are going to be sore winners, too. I loved 4e, love modern game design (and wrote some anti-grog articles on Kobold Quarterly's Web site that inspired some choice material in grognards.txt), but have never heard a reason why I should buy 5e now that 4e is 86ed; 5e enthusiasts keep insisting that other people liking this game ("uniting the editions") is a good thing and will make the game more fun, but I don't see how other people having fun in tabletop sessions that I'm not at and never will be at will make my tabletop sessions more fun.

Also, everything Kai Tave pointed out about "verisimilitude" is fundamentally accurate. I would go further to say that the usage of "verisimilitude" in art history (neoclassicism in post-Renaissance Europe lasts until the 18th-ish century) is strongly informed by its contextual usage in criticism: "truth-seeming"-ness. Something realistic (like, the stuff you'd see in real life such as a stupid king or a smart peasant) was inappropriate in societies that valued verisimilitude in their art because art was supposed to be better than real life, depicting the way things ought to be instead of the way things are. Nothing in the neoclassical ideal (from which verisimilitude is derived) necessitates fighters not having nice things. If anything, I'd say verisimilitude militates in favor of them NOT being limited by mundanity or realism, but whatever. Grogs be grogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Dairy Power posted:

You didn't "debunk" any of my math. You made different assumptions than I did and then said I was wrong.

Your assumptions were things like 'every enemy has some multiple of 26 or 27 hp, so the greataxe is the best weapon'. Which is a pretty bad assumption, which is why he said 'debunked'.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jack the Lad posted:

It is, yeah; phone posting and can't get it to work.

If you hit the question mark it's on page 7 there, with the 2 charts.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634&userid=146216&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post434962833

Here ya go.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dairy Power posted:

drat man. Those are some sick burns. I'm impressed that you actually managed to avoid typing "grog" for a whole post-- kudos for that.
So you're agreeing 100%? Because that's what I'm getting out of your posting.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

Nobody is saying that other classes are better at using weapons than Fighters. What everyone is (rightly) saying is that the only way in which they're better (making more attacks) doesn't not make playing a Fighter interesting. It's just "I hit it with my axe" vs "I hit it with my axe... twice".

Also, they get 2 more feats or stat point increases than other classes. And because of flat math, there's a limited number of feats/stat increases you can take that will directly increase your combat effectiveness.

You consider +1 AC and +2 to hit from fighting styles a big deal, but you don't consider the (larger) differences between weapon types a big deal? That seems very weird to me. More below.

Bzzt. You're ignoring Great Weapon Fighting.

With +7 to damage you need a 10 on your weapon di(c)e to kill a 17 HP monster:

The maul is better in your example. Of course, whichever weapon you're using, Great Weapon Master's -5/+10 will give you a better chance to deal 10+ damage unless your original chance to hit is between 20% and 35%, since all you have to do is land the attack:

That said, both the maul and the greataxe are worse than the glaive (which gives you 3 attacks), and the glaive is in turn worse than the hand crossbow (which gives you 3 attacks at +2 attack).

If you want to look at actual play, the hand crossbow soars even further ahead by dint of not having to deal with all the various anti-melee gimmicks we've already seen on monsters.

Champions should be using a hand crossbow or glaive, both of which offer a 100% chance of an extra attack as a bonus action.

A glaive-wielding Polearm Master can (and should) also have Great Weapon master, which means that as well as the 100% chance of an extra attack as a bonus action for d4+15 he has the same 1-((1-Crit%)^Attacks) % chance of an extra attack as a bonus action for full weapon damage as the non-Polearm-Master.

The same Champion with a maul deals an average of 0.1 to 2.8 more damage per attack, on average (depending on target AC) but only has the chance they have to crit (5% - 48%) of getting the bonus attack.

I believe this is the relevant post you wanted?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

These are all flaws that 4e fans talk about at length.

You forgot gently caress picking out magic items.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

loving seriously. I am picking out magic items as we speak and this is the part about character creation I hate the most.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NachtSieger posted:

Also: feat taxes, bad MM 1 math, the trainwreck that was skill challenges

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

FMguru posted:

Don't forget awful premade adventures. I'm sure half the reason we switched over to 5e was because our group was knee-deep in the Pyramid of Shadows.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I wasn't trying to make a perfect list of everything you know :eng99: Though this does help my point!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Can I add how completely loving boring and/or bad a lot of the essentials classes were?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

I wasn't trying to make a perfect list of everything you know :eng99: Though this does help my point!

:colbert: Magic items are very very important.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ProfessorCirno posted:

This thread really is a helpful reminder as to how 4e fans were different from the 5e trash. 4e fans are more then ready to talk about 4e's flaws. There's far too much chaff in feats and powers. Numbers and skill gaps get too high at higher levels. Some classes lack needed support, others have too much. The focus on status effects in later levels leads to unintuitive defensive needs. High paragon and epic gets bogged down by choice paralysis. Certain group combos destroy the game balance. Attribute scores, despite being one of the first things you choose on your character, have extreme long term effects that can screw over players. The overall design leads to heavy usage of "builds." These are all flaws that 4e fans talk about at length.
Also, "combat takes too loving long" and "god i wish this was a video game"

e: ugh feat taxes. i forgot about those.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 24, 2014

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Arivia posted:

They are, but 4e dies on the vine when you do lots of "regular" combats instead of larger set pieces. So sure you could do a hexcrawl in 4e and it would be incredibly boring.

The easy solution to this is to just run the "regular" combats using something like 1/2 the regular XP budget and spending a lot of it on minions. This helps give you the 3.5 feeling "enemies go down to one attack like chumps" combats. 2 hit minions are also a good idea for fights like this. Unfortunately neither of these ideas show up in any official 4th edition material.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

S.J. posted:

Can I add how completely loving boring and/or bad a lot of the essentials classes were?

Essentials was the preview of 5e so that shouldn't be surprising.

Also if you want to know everything about how 5e was made, note that Essentials literally added a second "Portable Hole" meant to mimic the AD&D one, and then named it "TRUE Portable Hole."

But hey, maybe 5e is just here to bring us all together guys.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kaizer88 posted:

I have to agree with that. When you're past 9th level, your pc's power levels start becoming more like some episode of DBZ. Players of that level could slaughter whole legions of town guards. I think 5th edition is at least better with regards to the power difference between really high level things and 1st level schlubs ; Ac doesn't go much higher than 20, and proficiency bonuses don't go higher than 6. You'd still get the ridiculous HP bloat though.

Also monsters still scale in check difficulty while PC defenses don't necessarily scale that high making them nigh useless. HP is supposed to go up, however, if Damage does. On the other hand, non-damaging methods to stop enemies or end encounters also increase in number making HP irrelevant in that case.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

S.J. posted:

I also think they're pretty boring, but I don't begrudge them existing because there are a couple of people who prefer that kind of thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The "combat takes too long in 4E" complaint is one I can sort of empathize with, yet all having a D&D where an individual combat doesn't as long usually results in is "now that combat moves faster we can have more fights per session!" which, okay, doesn't really seem like it's doing much to cut down on the total time spent on fighting. And really, if you aren't throwing down with some dudes while playing D&D it's not like the system, in any iteration, really brings a lot to do to the table.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
No poo poo 4e combat takes too long; when you get rid of "I cast this spell and the fight ends" you have to actually -gasp- FIGHT the fights! :stonk:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
One of the best things about BOUNDED MATH or whatever the hell they're calling it in 5e is that literally even Gimli or Legolas are too powerful for a 5e fighter to aspire for. 70 something orcs in one combat? Not while Mearls is on the case!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I absolutely believe that Next fights run faster than 4E fights, but by all accounts that's largely by dint of having less interesting stuff to do during them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Your less interesting stuff is my less tedious bullshit to keep track of.

I mean, a typical fight I just had, the Ranger jumped out of a tree wanting to transfer the momentum of his fall into a stab at an ogre, which I let him do with an athletics check, the rogue stealthed from spot to spot sniping and looting as he could, the trickster cleric used a body double to distract enemies and dish out damage, the warlock shot a bunch of witch bolts around then pulled a pact weapon out, and the monk ran from orc to orc knocking them out. It was plenty interesting.

I guess everyone wasn't using encounter and daily powers to do 5d4 sonic damage to a 15 foot square and mark two enemies at a -2 penalty or whatever so it must have actually been boring.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"When I describe the stuff that happened in this game without all the die rolling and numbers behind it, it sounds way cooler than this other game which I only describe in terms of die rolling and numbers."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

I mean, a typical fight I just had, the Ranger jumped out of a tree wanting to transfer the momentum of his fall into a stab at an ogre, which I let him do with an athletics check, the rogue stealthed from spot to spot sniping and looting as he could, the trickster cleric used a body double to distract enemies and dish out damage, the warlock shot a bunch of witch bolts around then pulled a pact weapon out, and the monk ran from orc to orc knocking them out. It was plenty interesting.

I guess everyone wasn't using encounter and daily powers to do 5d4 sonic damage to a 15 foot square and mark two enemies at a -2 penalty or whatever so it must have actually been boring.

Okay. I play in a 4e game that developed from a 3.5 game, and the DM is not particularly creative. 4e codifies these interesting things into discrete powers, which necessarily limits them from the full potential of freeform combat improvisation, but allows 4e baseline to be more interesting than 3.5 baseline because you're not dependent on the abilities of the DM to Errol Flynn your way through combat. Not to mention that codifying these things limits people's ability to argue over plausibility and exempts the DM from having to work out balanced mechanical interactions for a crane kick on the fly. 4e even provides a way to bring these in through the much-maligned page 42.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

greatn posted:

Tell me, what did the orcs do?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, one of the two games has a LOT more dice rolling and numbers. I don't think there's any denying that.

All the stuff I described from the encounter back a couple of posts ago was relatively mundane, but flavored by the characters and the situation making it interesting, and 4e is the exact same way, but you people act like it is superbly more interesting. 4e has going for its combat that it is somewhat more dramatic when the player characters seem like they are losing until they bust out their encounter or daily they didn't want to use and turn the tables. But you get that tables turning moment every fight, and the trigger is the same, and it gets really repetitive. 5e on the other hand, from the 10 or so combats I've run, is relatively unpredicatble and there's a lot less die rolling and book browsing.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

greatn posted:

"I'm going to describe the game I like in enough detail to make it sound awesome and great fun. Meanwhile I will describe the game I don't like in the driest possible terms to make it and those who support it look unappealing and anti-fun."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

greatn posted:

Put more :effort: into your roleplay maybe?

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

"I'm going to describe the game I like in enough detail to make it sound awesome and great fun. Meanwhile I will describe the game I don't like in the driest possible terms to make it and those who support it look unappealing and anti-fun."

"I'm am also not going to talk about the dice rolls or the numbers that were used in this awesome role-played combat I had because those aren't important, unlike in that other game where it's all numbers all the time"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

Well, one of the two games has a LOT more dice rolling and numbers. I don't think there's any denying that.

All the stuff I described from the encounter back a couple of posts ago was relatively mundane, but flavored by the characters and the situation making it interesting, and 4e is the exact same way, but you people act like it is superbly more interesting. 4e has going for its combat that it is somewhat more dramatic when the player characters seem like they are losing until they bust out their encounter or daily they didn't want to use and turn the tables. But you get that tables turning moment every fight, and the trigger is the same, and it gets really repetitive. 5e on the other hand, from the 10 or so combats I've run, is relatively unpredicatble and there's a lot less die rolling and book browsing.

So in other words, the combat system annoys you in both games, but you're unable to circumvent it as easily in 4e compared to 5e. Have you considered that you may not like Dungeons and Dragons?

Not to mention that removing dice-rolling from the equation either removes the gameplay entirely from the situation or just produces what Strunk and White would call "needless words".

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Can you please not copy/paste the Old School Primer here tia

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FMguru posted:

Skill challenges were a wonderful idea that fails the moment you try to hang actual rules on it. Good from the viewpoint of "making the DMG not just a codex of rules but also a toolbox of advice for DMs on everything from problem players to making published adventures work when they didn't think of something". But then "how you could frame a skill challenge" became "the only way to do a skill challenge" and every attempt to clarify things just made it worse.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Skill challenges were a wonderful idea that fails the moment you try to hang actual rules on it. Good from the viewpoint of "making the DMG not just a codex of rules but also a toolbox of advice for DMs on everything from problem players to making published adventures work when they didn't think of something". But then "how you could frame a skill challenge" became "the only way to do a skill challenge" and every attempt to clarify things just made it worse.

Skill challenges are a bad idea at a conceptual level because of the way skills work in D&D since 2e.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

greatn posted:

All the stuff I described from the encounter back a couple of posts ago was relatively mundane, but flavored by the characters and the situation making it interesting, and 4e is the exact same way, but you people act like it is superbly more interesting. 4e has going for its combat that it is somewhat more dramatic when the player characters seem like they are losing until they bust out their encounter or daily they didn't want to use and turn the tables. But you get that tables turning moment every fight, and the trigger is the same, and it gets really repetitive. 5e on the other hand, from the 10 or so combats I've run, is relatively unpredicatble and there's a lot less die rolling and book browsing..

"The cleric was having fun spamming Sacred Flame (because the monster was immune to weapons) and was totally bummed out when they had to use their action to, instead,heal someone."

Stripping out encounter and daily powers hasn't made 5e any more dynamic. Unsurprisingly there's just a lot of spamming at-willscantrips and saying I Attack.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bruceski posted:

There's the kernel of a good idea there - since the combat system was finely tuned and balanced so all the characters would have something useful to do in combat situations, the skill rules should have similar mechanic so that all the characters can contribute to non-combat situations. But the actual implementation... :stonk:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

FMguru posted:

There's the kernel of a good idea there - since the combat system was finely tuned and balanced so all the characters would have something useful to do in combat situations, the skill rules should have similar mechanic so that all the characters can contribute to non-combat situations. But the actual implementation... :stonk:

Ability scores and class skill lists did a lot to kill it. Having rangers/paladins/whatever use Wisdom for their riders implied that probably you might have +X Wisdom modifier to the detriment of any skills with other key abilities. They should have just given you the combat math and had separate skill math.

5e does about as good a job as 4e at getting around class skill lists using backgrounds..

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Last time I played a 4e fighter, at the peak of the dragon's lair, I began moving like wildfire across the fight, shifting between baddies as they advanced and slamming them back with my shield, appearing almost anywhere and everywhere they tried to advance, turning the battlefield into my playground. When the dragon swooped down to end our attempt at raiding it's hoard, the ranger fired twice, clipping it's wings, forcing it to land. At our warlord's command I and the barbarian charged, avoiding it's fiery breath to bring it's death in steel and muscle.

Last time I played 3e I full attack'd at +7/+2 for 1d12+something. Then the wizard cast a spell that drained it's dexterity to 0 and we won.

Instead of saying 4e was bad, maybe you loving suck at roleplaying and have no imagination?????

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
4e doesn't have classes. There's one class.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

greatn posted:

4e is communism, which is probably why I liked it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

greatn posted:

With 4e Communism a true classless system exists where everyone can have fun and reap the benefits of their time and energy spent in the game. With 5e/3e Capitalism only the Spellcasting Classes can enjoy the game, but in turn can only run it so long as the "lesser" martial classes give up their labor for relatively nothing. The Spellcasting Class exists only as a leech, draining the fun of all other classes to keep itself fat and fed. The true answer is for martial classes to rise up and dispose of the spellcasters to bring about true equality.

An insightful remark.