Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

this has been going on for years and i'm deeply surprised you haven't already heard about it

just never hit me before. all those articles talked about them using event viewer, and my guy used msconfig, so i guess i got slightly different variant

one of those articles led to the FTC report page, so I guess i'll do that. i can't imagine how funny some of their calls with dumb customers who can't follow instructions must be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

my almost ten year old intellimouse explorer 3 is finally losing its poo poo by doing the double-click thing and i think it's time for me to get a new one because i'm no longer the kind of person who disassembles things to repair them

is the logitech m705 as good as the reviews say it is or am i going to hate it

[edit] and since i don't really need a wireless one should i just get an m500 instead

sometimes the clicker breaks and starts double clicking, you just have to disassemble it and rebend the tiny metal piece and then put it back together

I have two of these and they are the best, secret 6th button under the thumb. battery lasts forever. toggling between normal scroll and hyper scroll. it tracks well on. really this batter lasts forever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get a trackball they are pro poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Bloody posted:

get a trackball they are poo poo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
trackballs are only second to trackpads for the most shameful interface device

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

i am asking this here because i don't know who else might know, also this story is really funny

i got a random phone call from a guy who said "i am calling from microsoft help and tech support. we have detected that your computer is throwing errors and warnings. this also means you are downloading technical faults which are causing stopages of Microsoft services on your computer".

basically, these guys are trying to steal my computer over the phone, which is really ballsy

they had me open up msconfig, go to the services tab, and asked me "how many of the services are showing as 'stopped'?" when i said "like 50", he said "oh my goodness, that is very bad! i am going to send you to level 2 support now!"

level 2 support guy told me to type in iexplore ammyy.com (it's a lightweight remote desktop app), and then tried to give me the number so he could have control of my computer, at which point I called him a dick

so, uh - first off, this scam is blowing my mind. they're using the phones to send tricksy e-mail spam. second off, does anyone know who i should report these guys to? i would like these people to go to jail if at all possible
http://www.scriptjunkie.us/2014/09/exploiting-ammyy-admin-developing-an-0day/ (almost positive this came from the security thread, because god knows where else i would have seen it)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Leck posted:

http://www.scriptjunkie.us/2014/09/exploiting-ammyy-admin-developing-an-0day/ (almost positive this came from the security thread, because god knows where else i would have seen it)

caveat: if you're only just now reading it you're not leet enough to do it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theflyingorc posted:

just never hit me before. all those articles talked about them using event viewer, and my guy used msconfig, so i guess i got slightly different variant

one of those articles led to the FTC report page, so I guess i'll do that. i can't imagine how funny some of their calls with dumb customers who can't follow instructions must be

they called me once and i acted dumb and said i couldn't find msconfig. they then asked me what version of windows i was using and i said "well i'm not sure, but when it starts up it says something like oh-ess-2 warp" and the guy hung up on me lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

they called me once and i acted dumb and said i couldn't find msconfig. they then asked me what version of windows i was using and i said "well i'm not sure, but when it starts up it says something like oh-ess-2 warp" and the guy hung up on me lol

lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Beeftweeter posted:

i did fun stuff like saying hold on and talking to my wife for 30 seconds about dinner, and then everytime they asked me to read something back i went really really slow and if they tried to interrupt me i would just keep spelling msconfig or whatever, kept asking if i needed to close the photos my wife had open and w/e

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

i did fun stuff like saying hold on and talking to my wife for 30 seconds about dinner, and then everytime they asked me to read something back i went really really slow and if they tried to interrupt me i would just keep spelling msconfig or whatever, kept asking if i needed to close the photos my wife had open and w/e

i wonder whose time is worth more money

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

qntm posted:

i wonder whose time is worth more money

i was thoroughly entertained the entire time, and unable to use those hours increasing my $$ output at my salaried position, so i did not feel it was a waste of my time

i also look at it as "that's ten people they'll never get around to cold calling because they were wasting time on me", and I wanted to see what the scam was

the saddest part was that they used that ammyy program, i was hoping they were going to ask for my ip address so i could tell them 192.168.1.1

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Another example of OS X supremacy

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Heresiarch posted:

my almost ten year old intellimouse explorer 3 is finally losing its poo poo by doing the double-click thing and i think it's time for me to get a new one because i'm no longer the kind of person who disassembles things to repair them

[edit] and since i don't really need a wireless one should i just get an m500 instead

I'm fond of this http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-raw

aside from the logo there's not a lot of gimmicky bullshit

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

i am asking this here because i don't know who else might know, also this story is really funny

the remote thing for ammyy admin has had exploits published for it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

logitech M510 wireless should suit your needs

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

question: in osx how do I make a program start on startup but before a user logs in? Basically I want transmission.app to run after my computer reboots and I don't want to have to log in to do so.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Corla Plankun posted:

i just don't understand mac hotkeys and i don't want to learn

i uh

um

uh

Heresiarch posted:

you're going to hate it.

i will sell you a never-used intellmouse optical explorer for $150

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

question: in osx how do I make a program start on startup but before a user logs in? Basically I want transmission.app to run after my computer reboots and I don't want to have to log in to do so.

you will need to use a command line transmission client but a launchdaemon/launchagent is what you are looking for https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/macosx/conceptual/bpsystemstartup/chapters/CreatingLaunchdJobs.html

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

when it's new mouse time the best thing you can do is fnd a physical store with the mice out
touch and feel them and note how beat up and broken they are.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

when it's new mouse time the best thing you can do is fnd a physical store with the mice out
touch and feel them and note how beat up and broken they are.

compusa mouse toucher

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Use Lingon, which is a GUI interface for launchd

https://www.peterborgapps.com/lingon/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

You Am I posted:

i didnt know this existed and looks really cool

launchd isn't terribly complicated though and for what he wants to do copy/pasting apple's hello world example and just changing it to run transmission would probably work

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

thanks duders

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

You Am I posted:

nice GUI interface, can i install it on my PC computer?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
send me a pm message if so

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

raruler posted:

compusa mouse toucher
mods

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

raruler posted:

compusa mouse toucher

i miss compusa. it was nice to be able to look at stuff in person when you bought it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nevermind

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

i miss compusa. it was nice to be able to look at stuff in person when you bought it

yeah i liked being near frys for that reason. only "computer" stores here are best buy, altex and maybe one or two local places that look gamey as gently caress. regardless if i can wait one or two days amazon or newegg usually has it way cheaper than any of them

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mamaso mamasa mamacompusa

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i didnt know this existed and looks really cool

launchd isn't terribly complicated though and for what he wants to do copy/pasting apple's hello world example and just changing it to run transmission would probably work

he's still probably going to have to use the command line transmission because I'm pretty sure it's not going to launch an app without a desktop session for it to live in

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

raruler posted:

compusa mouse toucher

"Aunt Mousy", we used to call her around our house.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raruler posted:

he's still probably going to have to use the command line transmission because I'm pretty sure it's not going to launch an app without a desktop session for it to live in

well yeah, thats what i said in the first post

although really a better solution might be to run it on his router. i've never used it but the build of tomato i'm using on my RT-N66U has a transmission daemon built into it and since OS X 10.9/10 use SMB as their default sharing option you can just mount the share as CIFS and your router will do all the work

i guess bonus points if you have a NAS or somethinf cause then you dont even need a computer

also i know that CIFS and SMB are the same thing but tomato makes the distinction for some reason :shrug:

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

well yeah, thats what i said in the first post

I know! I was agreeing with you!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
is the "magic trackpad" any good? i need some kind of additional pointing device for my macbook pro

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raruler posted:

I know! I was agreeing with you!

:cheers:

prefect posted:

is the "magic trackpad" any good? i need some kind of additional pointing device for my macbook pro

yeah it owns its just a bigger version of the trackpad on your macbook

the magic mouse is pretty neat too and has gestures and poo poo also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
:bsdsnype: x2