Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

amuayse posted:

Is there a good way to mass devils?

Infernal Forces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

gently caress, those Turan guys die really hard.

By the way, thanks for the two new priest-mages, Kitfox! Every help counts. :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

If you are in grr goons or gays only, upload your goddamn pretenders.

I find replacements for you starting tomorrow evening.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

gently caress, those Turan guys die really hard.

By the way, thanks for the two new priest-mages, Kitfox! Every help counts. :v:

spooky ghosts beat their morale, I imagine? And the dragon. It was a fairly even fight.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

ChickenWing posted:

Name names! Then we laugh and call them names.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

spooky ghosts beat their morale, I imagine? And the dragon. It was a fairly even fight.

Something like that. My priests and mages were buffing my undead, then apostating the other side's priests. So most of the battle was thin lines of ghost Romans holding the line against hordes of Turan barbarians. Until finally enough Turans died to rout them. Then some enemy priests got overrun because my dragon and a few soldiers kind of flanked the enemy army (Kitfox stop making huge ungainly blocks, goddamnit) and they got killed. Also, two other enemy priests changed sides thanks to the wave of Apostasy.

They're now helping out with buffing and summoning. Please send some more priests at me, I dare you Kitfox :getin:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

Something like that. My priests and mages were buffing my undead, then apostating the other side's priests. So most of the battle was thin lines of ghost Romans holding the line against hordes of Turan barbarians. Until finally enough Turans died to rout them. Then some enemy priests got overrun because my dragon and a few soldiers kind of flanked the enemy army (Kitfox stop making huge ungainly blocks, goddamnit) and they got killed. Also, two other enemy priests changed sides thanks to the wave of Apostasy.

They're now helping out with buffing and summoning. Please send some more priests at me, I dare you Kitfox :getin:

you would think guy would learn after i fought a battle with him in late for work as lemurs that had one of his own h3 mages casting apostasy on his own dudes after like 2 turns.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Every mage ragha has is a mage priest except for the slow to recruit temperature scale limited ones, hope this helps.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Every mage ragha has is a mage priest except for the slow to recruit temperature scale limited ones, hope this helps.

Wow. I guess this means I have to retool my scripts to include even more Apostasy. Just so I can collect all of them. :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

And those slow to recruit scale limited ones are magic duel fodder. I wonder how that works against a nation with high S immortals :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pouring more fuel on the literal fire of picking Heat 3 to avoid stepping in the S1 minefield, plus cutting down Lemuria's chill auras.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn this thread made me realise how hard I'm going to die in every non-noob game. Dom4 is hard

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kurnugia posted:

Goddamn this thread made me realise how hard I'm going to die in every non-noob game. Dom4 is hard

Don't worry, just go in and have fun. Look at me, I just recently got copying + pasting orders to work. The day before yesterday and for as long as Dom4 was out, I just typed in every commander's script per hand. Or look at how I didn't know I could just give a commander gems to boost a path up for casting spells they shouldn't be able to cast. Something I also just learned by accident in one of my currently running games.

You could play for years and have great fun and still learn new things along the way.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

PS: Craft antimagic items

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Yo just for the record I had my pretender ready to go since like Sunday but didn't realize you just wanted people to be watching the turntracker I guess? Most hosts I've seen post once in PGS for the game and then once again when it's pretender uploading time.

scalded schlong posted:

It's been ages since I had a look at Abysia and holy poo poo these guys suck at their core gimmick.

I think your best bet is to luck into a fire-random warlock, empower him up to B4 for the Blood Thorn, equip to forge the Brazen Vessel (B5), equip that to forge the armour of souls (B6), and then you've got a B7F1 guy who can spam soul contracts which you can bung on randomers to freespawn a devil each turn.

This requires Construction 6 and 90 spare slaves, along with 55 slaves per contract. They'll start paying off after about nine turns of free devilry, so it's a longterm plan but if you get momentum going you can spit out an annoyance squad each turn. Your alternative is probably using a boatload of slow-to-recruit Demonbreds who directly compete for recruitment with... all your other blood mages, or praying to find a garnet amazon site.

FYI Abysia got the Moloch pretender option in a recent patch which is expensive as heck but probably worth experimenting with since he fills both the crosspath requirement and maybe more importantly helps Abysia's gigantic need for a some kind of early/mid SC when poo poo hits the fan.

Although if you're doing soul contract spam I feel like a blood fountain is a no brainer. You spend your 50 F gem empowerment for much better scales, earlier blood hunting and no hard requirement to push to const6 until later. I say this as someone who actually did what you're describing above as EA Abysia, and actually succeeded in getting multiple soul contract mages online before I died painfully to a real strategy. It is totally not worth it. Abysia can't spend all those drat F gems anyways

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 24, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheresNoThyme posted:

Yo just for the record I had my pretender ready to go since like Sunday but didn't realize you just wanted people to be watching the turntracker I guess? Most hosts I've seen post once in PGS for the game and then once again when it's pretender uploading time.

Wait, you're honestly waiting patiently until someone tells you it's now OK to upload? Do you think it's rude to upload early, or what?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Libluini posted:

Wait, you're honestly waiting patiently until someone tells you it's now OK to upload? Do you think it's rude to upload early, or what?

No I just didn't know the game was hosted, I guess cuz I wasn't watching the turntracker and was instead watching PGS for a "begin uploading!" post.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

And those slow to recruit scale limited ones are magic duel fodder. I wonder how that works against a nation with high S immortals :v:

It's hyper annoying because I went temp neutral to mess around with both sets and then someone claimed the throne of winter like, 15 turns into the loving game. :argh:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
drat bird people! There were just so many......my tiny nation couldn't compete after that back stab.

Fun game though! I needed a) a better starting spot and b) to be more aggressive.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TheresNoThyme posted:

Sorry, everyone has been pestering me in IRC, I assumed most people knew already.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Sorry, everyone has been pestering me in IRC, I assumed most people knew already.

That's fine it's also my bad for not actually getting my butt in irc before the game starts. Will fix that shortly

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Diplomacy.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

That's some real dedication, unless there's some special way to copy/paste in dominions message boxes that I didn't know about, in which case gently caress i feel really dumb right now

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Mew back at them?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am not sane.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And we love you for it, GON.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Get help

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

I'm giving myself away as a former EVE player, but when I saw this the first thing I thought of was Dabigredboat (for those of you who never played, DBRB was notorious for his dog barking constantly over voice chat).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That's even better then my yearly update on Lemuria's progress.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I just started playing this game and I'm having loads of fun but god do the possible options and strategies confound the hell out of me. I played a game as Nifelheim giants and just made big sacred giants every turn and walked over everyone without taking any losses. Then I play a game as MA Ermor and was really confused about the whole no income/resource thing and how bodies worked. Then I played a game as Machaka and tried actually using magic, so my sun god was throwing fireballs around and my massed archers were shooting volleys of flame arrows and it looked cool as hell.

Then I played a game as EA Ermor and had to take a throne underwater. I had my Archmage pretender forge an amulet of water breathing and teleport into the ocean, but I forgot to equip the amulet so he drowned instantly. I called him again, equipped the amulet and teleported him into the ocean while telling him to summon sharks to wipe out the defending independents. But he got swarmed by seahorses or something then died again.

Then I played MA Ermor again and understood the mechanics a little better but god is it annoying to have to deal with all the insane UI bullshit like moving gems around (why can you only cast rituals with pooled gems but not personal gems?) and multiselecting commanders and making sure all your random provincial undead are being useful (except ghouls and soulless because they're poo poo and gently caress them). I like the feel of being a giant undead Roman army with dick mages who raise infinite skeletons in battle but it seems fiddly to play.

I have no idea how the Pretenders compare with one another, how the different nations change across different ages, what kind of lunatic complicated paths you need to get the spells that you want or which ones are any good, and I haven't even started using magic items yet because I can't figure out what they're good for. When are you supposed to make them and who do you put them on? I've been relying on mages and powerful combat units, not frontline fighter commanders. Surely if you walk your commanders into combat they just die and their squad ends up routing. Do items really make that big of a difference on them?

Also, anyone got any general ease of use tips? Apparently you can set recruited mages to auto research but I haven't figured out how. Making combat formations for each of my units is a pain but at least I figured out how to copy+paste unit commands.

I've won a couple of games against the AI but my main weakness at the moment seems to be spreading my forces too thin (so I can't siege the enemy effectively) or concentrating them too tightly (so the enemy move around and capture my undefended provinces and annoy me). This game is weird and complicated but I kinda like it, I'm looking forward to learning more ways to play.

e: What does PD mean? I can't find a definition anywhere

Boing fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 24, 2014

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Boing posted:

I have no idea how the Pretenders compare with one another, how the different nations change across different ages, what kind of lunatic complicated paths you need to get the spells that you want or which ones are any good, and I haven't even started using magic items yet because I can't figure out what they're good for. When are you supposed to make them and who do you put them on? I've been relying on mages and powerful combat units, not frontline fighter commanders. Surely if you walk your commanders into combat they just die and their squad ends up routing. Do items really make that big of a difference on them?

I'm not a good player and I haven't really gone at multiplayer so I won't try to give Real Advice, but some commanders are a lot more capable of front-lining it than others. Ermor's puny humans not so much, but a Niefel giant is absolutely capable of wading into an army and destroying it with the right buffs and equipment, as are a number of other nations' commanders, and there are a lot of even more terrifying dudes in the Conjuration school. The right commander with, say, a frost brand for an AoE attack and a vine shield to deter incoming attackers can clean out light-to-medium-defended provinces on his own, and if he has flying boots he'll be a lot harder to predict than a big army will.

Also, not all equipment is for frontline combat! There are items to boost your mage paths, items that create storms or summon allies to the battlefield, logistical items that improve your army's supplies or boost their mobility, and so on.

PD is province defense.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Thanks. gently caress I just realised that my Mound Kings can command 80 undead rather than 40 and it doesn't say this anywhere except on a single page in the manual. I've been manually stripping out individual troops from each of my undead commanders so they'd keep to their leadership limit :negative:

That's one ease of use thing at least.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You can click their leadership and it will tell you their capacity of everything.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Boing, I'd probably lean towards other nations than MA Ermor for learning. The reason is because MA Ermor is a very oddball nation and the lessons you learn will be hard to apply outside of playing MA Ermor. They're often banned in goon games too for various reasons.

I'd recommend nations like EA Tir Na Nog, MA Vanheim and LA Midgard for a new player. They have a good mix of strong troops and mages, and they're easy to execute with. This means you can get to the meat of the game quicker rather than just stumbling over yourself.

You'll often see thugs and SCs mentioned in Dom3 guides - I'd avoid focusing on them in Dom4. They're much more vulnerable than in the past, and there are typically more cost effective ways to raid that don't involve risking your gems. They're used in very specific situations, usually when you have a huge economic advantage over your opponent and can afford them.

Typically there are 4 different types of pretenders you'll see:

Bless PG's. They exist to provide a nation's sacred troops with a powerful bless effect.
Awake PGs. These are usually dragons with fear and awe that can expand as a 1 man army in the early game. They exist to help a nation gobble up a lot of premium provinces early on.
Dormant Titans. These exist to provide a big global or something along those lines in the midgame, or to provide some battle magic help.
Immobiles. These provide a ton of scales for an otherwise strong nation.

You see some mixing and matching, too. Dormant titans can provide blesses or have good scales. Immobiles can provide blesses. Sometimes someone will ruin their scales for an awake dragon with a bless. It just depends on the nation and situation.

As to what you pick, it really depends on your nation. Some nations need help to expand early and then become stronger later on. Others have good sacred troops that you want to lean on to build a nice advantage. Others have strong troops and mages and just need to make a bunch of them.

Be careful about picking up bad habits vs the AI. The AI encourages you to mass tons of province defense and ball up into big armies. These are bad strategies vs players. Playing single player is really good just for testing your first year of expansion and learning how some spells function. You can also use a hotseat multiplayer game to test armies/scripts against each other to better understand how stuff works.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm still at the stage where any strategy I think of will be sub-optimal (and there are probably names for all the actually sensible things that players are supposed to do) but I'm having fun experimenting with different factions and magic trees and pretenders and playstyles. I'm gonna try a MA Ulm game and play with a load of forging smiths and see how that goes.

What are some of the big endgame global spells that are fun to tech toward? Stuff like Utterdark seems really cool if you're fielding an undead army (whether Ermor or C'tis or whatever), but it's unclear which of them are actually useful and which are just gimmicks.

Also - what are some useful hotkeys? I've just learned about the 1-9 keys for stuff like displaying province names which helps a lot, and tab to hide researchers in the unit management screen. The hotkey documentation seems really sparse, if there are any that save loads of time it would be nice to know!

vv oh yeah let's stumble blindly through this game!

Boing fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 24, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

Okay, 2 more games going up! The first is an EA noob game, named noob game. Throne count is to be determined, no real special rules or anything, please don't join if you've already played more than 1 or 2 games.

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/197

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Boing posted:

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm still at the stage where any strategy I think of will be sub-optimal (and there are probably names for all the actually sensible things that players are supposed to do) but I'm having fun experimenting with different factions and magic trees and pretenders and playstyles. I'm gonna try a MA Ulm game and play with a load of forging smiths and see how that goes.

What are some of the big endgame global spells that are fun to tech toward? Stuff like Utterdark seems really cool if you're fielding an undead army (whether Ermor or C'tis or whatever), but it's unclear which of them are actually useful and which are just gimmicks.

Also - what are some useful hotkeys? I've just learned about the 1-9 keys for stuff like displaying province names which helps a lot, and tab to hide researchers in the unit management screen. The hotkey documentation seems really sparse, if there are any that save loads of time it would be nice to know!

Press "?" on the main map for keybindings.

For MA Ulm, you should look at what troops are available, what paths you will have on your mages, and what national spells you have access to. This is unlikely to add up to a bless nation, but a bunch of very durable blockers for lots and lots of earth-based evocations should be easy for you to swing. Consequently you will probably want to look for globals that play to your existing strengths - ones that bring in lots of gold or resources, or kill things in your dominion, or deal with flying troops, should be useful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

On magical items, there are also a lot of rear end in a top hat-items you can forge if you want to be sneaky. Elvish cauldrons to make your armies appear smaller, magic mirrors to make other armies appear larger, there's even an item which makes all units look the same, so you can hide important mages behind them!

Magic items can be great fun!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Speaking of magic mirrors, how do they determine the unit to take the appearance of? Is it just the guy holding the item?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Since totalgerman is officially over now I'll throw up the graphs for good measure.

This was a newbie game. My take on this is that it was probably hard to tell just how dominant I was until the end, and the truth is for most of the game I could say there wasn't a definite dominant power between myself, Bandar Log, and Ulm. For the last third of the game helped mostly by the wars in which I gained more than anyone else, I did start to pull away. What was key here was my central position on the map, which amazingly did not lead to a dogpile but instead gave me a lot of throne access. The truth was I was rather surprised how easily I was able to lay claim to many thrones early on, I even intentionally conceded some thrones right on my borders to prevent a potential dogpile. I also built a lot of forts early on to make myself look unappealing as a target--I wouldn't fold as easily as someone who had only one or two forts and would be easy to lock down on production.

My eventual victory did come about as the result of simply rushing the throne provinces on my borders and holding them, I never got to push deep into the territory of Mictlan or Ulm, which surely would've proven costly in the case of Ulm. In particular in the north Bandar Log left a few thrones untouched for such a long time that I eventually just laid claim to them, even though they were a bit of a reach for me at the time. I guess the lesson I can take away from here and TheProverbialShortpier is to always pay close attention to the throne count, especially when they start getting claimed.

• Locked thread