Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Naw, goldfish are mostly harmless
Words only spoken by a man who has never played Dwarf Fortress.

(carp are a kind of goldfish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Thats what I do when I'm naming NPCs. Silly overwrought names are pointless. Fred the Wizard will be easier to remember than F'r'e'd or some poo poo.

I just crib wrestling names, since none of my players watch. Hulk Hogan would be way too obvious, but my god, I want him to get a cameo in for him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I use the word word that comes to my head. My players have encountered Xlinrath the dirt farmer and Buh the High Dragon Priest in the same session.

E: Or, I ask them what that guys name is. And then I make them tell me why it's important.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Babe Magnet posted:

E: Or, I ask them what that guys name is. And then I make them tell me why it's important.

This is awesome advice right here!

An old GM of mine told gave me a trick to npc names: Don't name anyone until the PCs meet them. If the king, a dirt farmer, and the campaign's BBEG are all named off the same random chart you came up with at the start of the campaign then the PCs never know who they can safely ignore as unimportant.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Excellent advice. If you're clever and you've got a lot of other fiction to build off of, simply referring to people as "The King" or "The Cult Leader" all mysterious-like builds loads of tension as the players get closer and closer to finally meeting them.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Writer Cath posted:

I just crib wrestling names, since none of my players watch. Hulk Hogan would be way too obvious, but my god, I want him to get a cameo in for him.

Pretty sure the easiest way to fit in a Hogan cameo is via an orange goblin. Possibly named Terry.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hogan the Hulking. "WHAT WILT THOU DOOOOO, WHEN HOGAN'S FRENZY IS UPON THEEEEEEE"

And then Randy the Savage says "YEEEAAAA VERILYYYYY"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Ultimate Warrior (his name doesn't need changingd) is just in the background chugging potions

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Babe Magnet posted:

Excellent advice. If you're clever and you've got a lot of other fiction to build off of, simply referring to people as "The King" or "The Cult Leader" all mysterious-like builds loads of tension as the players get closer and closer to finally meeting them.

Really Pants posted:

Hogan the Hulking. "WHAT WILT THOU DOOOOO, WHEN HOGAN'S FRENZY IS UPON THEEEEEEE"

Combine these ideas, and you have a winner.

"As you climb the steps of the castle, you catch a glimpse of a plaque on the wall. The inscription is made out to 'The Illustrious Lord Dwayne Johnson' You can faintly hear from within a yell: 'Can you smeeeell what the king is cooking!?'"

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Babe Magnet posted:

Someone's been playing Dungeon World!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Honestly this isn't a terrible gaming story but it's just a good example of how :rolleyes: people can be. Went to my FLGS which I hadn't been to for years. They used to mostly just have a lot of anime garbage and an arcade there. Saw they were doing MTG now and took a shot since it's within walking distance of me and hell, why not? Totally new place, got rid of the arcade machines, they have a good sized game room, etc. It was me, some other regular and the woman working. I got to talking to her and the other guy was loving around in the store somewhere. I ask her why they got rid of the arcade machines and she says that it wasn't really profitable and whatnot, sorta what I expected. Cue mr. regular shouting from the other part of the store. "Uhhhh! They were totally profitable and I did the math!" So he pushes up to the counter and starts breaking down all these numbers about even with electricity and licencing fees and whatever else that they totally made enough money to keep the arcade running with how much he alone had played DDR and In The Grove. He was basically arguing with her and she was being as polite as possible but it's just such a lovely and smug thing to pull on somebody. I didn't actually say anything since, you know, I have some small semblance of social skills but I could only think to tell him to run the loving store if he was so smart.

Really nice place otherwise! I'm going there for the new MTG prerelease tomorrow night so that should be fun... hopefully :v:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

Captain (no quotes) Lou Albano was a major NPC in one of our D&D campaigns about ten years back. I think a couple of us suggested it (one of the others was playing Onan the Barbarian, for an example of our naming schemes) and the DM ran with it. The thought of a big, round guy with elastic bands attached to his face being a ranking member of the Cormyrian military still fills me with giggles.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Really Pants posted:

Tracula posted:

Honestly this isn't a terrible gaming story but it's just a good example of how :rolleyes: people can be. Went to my FLGS which I hadn't been to for years. They used to mostly just have a lot of anime garbage and an arcade there. Saw they were doing MTG now and took a shot since it's within walking distance of me and hell, why not? Totally new place, got rid of the arcade machines, they have a good sized game room, etc. It was me, some other regular and the woman working. I got to talking to her and the other guy was loving around in the store somewhere. I ask her why they got rid of the arcade machines and she says that it wasn't really profitable and whatnot, sorta what I expected. Cue mr. regular shouting from the other part of the store. "Uhhhh! They were totally profitable and I did the math!" So he pushes up to the counter and starts breaking down all these numbers about even with electricity and licencing fees and whatever else that they totally made enough money to keep the arcade running with how much he alone had played DDR and In The Grove. He was basically arguing with her and she was being as polite as possible but it's just such a lovely and smug thing to pull on somebody. I didn't actually say anything since, you know, I have some small semblance of social skills but I could only think to tell him to run the loving store if he was so smart.

Really nice place otherwise! I'm going there for the new MTG prerelease tomorrow night so that should be fun... hopefully :v:

Was he dumping 50+ bucks into it a day every day?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Really Pants posted:

He's been gone a few years and it still stings - I loved him as lad.

Babe Magnet posted:

The Ultimate Warrior (his name doesn't need changingd) is just in the background chugging potions

Dude, he just died in April... too soon, too soon. :cry:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"IT IS I, SIR AUSTIN! IT IS I, SIR AUSTIN! IT WAS I ALL YE TIME SIR AUSTIN!"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kavak posted:

"IT IS I, SIR AUSTIN! IT IS I, SIR AUSTIN! IT WAS I ALL YE TIME SIR AUSTIN!"

"Oh, damnable whore-son!"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kurieg posted:

Was he dumping 50+ bucks into it a day every day?

Not quite but some people would dump near full paychecks into DDR machines there just to show off how cool they were.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Really Pants posted:

... Yeah, I'm totally using them for my next Changeling session. I've already got a coffee shop named Lloyds', a Hedge-dwelling Lost named Last Ditch (he's a Ditch, he's the last of them; he specializes in quick escapes and making sure people have what they need when they need it), and two Artists by the names of Old Tom and Really Old Tom that might as well be the old guys from the Muppets. I think Hulking Hogan and Randy the Savage would fit right in.

What do you think? Summer Court?

I'm also here to throw out there that a recent Mage game of mine involved my character digging up the graves of three generations of her own family. So that was fun.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Axelgear posted:

... Yeah, I'm totally using them for my next Changeling session. I've already got a coffee shop named Lloyds', a Hedge-dwelling Lost named Last Ditch (he's a Ditch, he's the last of them; he specializes in quick escapes and making sure people have what they need when they need it), and two Artists by the names of Old Tom and Really Old Tom that might as well be the old guys from the Muppets. I think Hulking Hogan and Randy the Savage would fit right in.

What do you think? Summer Court?

I'm also here to throw out there that a recent Mage game of mine involved my character digging up the graves of three generations of her own family. So that was fun.

I think that Hogan the Hulk sounds better and fits right in with Randy the Savage, but that's just my opinion.

If you could it some point work in a hitman named Bret, I would consider it an honour. (He was my favourite as a lad)

Bonus points if he wears pink and black with something resembling wrap-around shades.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Fiasco with my Family, in one of those "ideas so bad you have to do it".

I chose News Channel 6, and we ended up with a hell of a cast. Three reporters (including an anchor who owned a garage), and two sibling news-van drivers.

What ended up happening:
--Laurne and his roommate Buddy sabotaged News Channel 11's van, with Laurne taping this for blackmail.
--Ace and Channel 6's reporters stole Civil War memorabilia with their news van, then tried to pawn it a few towns over (while still doing a story on the stolen merch).
--Channel 11's van tried to chase them. This led to a huge car accident, which Ace tried to report on.
--Laurne tried to top the story live on air, by outing his anchor roommate.

Pterodactyl Feet
Mar 7, 2011

My worst gaming story comes from when I was new to gaming. I was playing something based around the Hero System, where my character could bring anything into reality by painting its name in the air with a magic brush.

For example, there was one occasion where I painted the word "subtitles" next to a frantic foreign dude so we could understand him when we all failed checks for understanding that language, and then suddenly everything he said was subtitled in English.

Well, we were fighting that session's Villain of the Week, and I wanted something impressive to kick his rear end in short order.
Instead of something sensible, my dumb rear end decided to summon a rabid tiger. Not a trained yet ferocious tiger, one with rabies.
One of the other players, whose power involved turning into paper for some reason, got murdered by the thing right out of the gate because she was made of paper. I forget what the other person's power was, but she didn't live very long either.

By the end of everything, I was the only one left alive other than the villain (of course.) The two of us ended up in the back of the same ambulance getting rabies shots in our asses, while he cursed my name.

Oh, and then my character died of an allergic reaction to the rabies shots.

I'm pretty sure that GM hated us, but poor word choice = everybody dies.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 31, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

50 Foot Ant posted:

Well, that last gaming group pretty much turned me off of putting together groups based on advertisements at the local gaming shop.

Ha ha, hey guys, 50 Foot Ant had a bad experience with a problem player! :rolleyes:

I enjoy these stories even if you do make them up.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 31, 2017

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you have to do more than one "shoot yourself in the head" emoticon, just end the game. Take the dude aside.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Do you hate confrontation? Because it seems like you put up with mega bullshit before calling him out. How did he respond to being told he was the reason for the game folding? What was wrong with his wife? Something must be for her to marry such a berk!

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 24, 2014

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

50 Foot Ant posted:

Now, his wife is happy. She's loving it. She likes the intrigue, being a high profile crook, that she's effective, that I let her come up with her own plans and plan her own cons and robberies and poo poo. She tells everyone this is the most fun she's ever had playing D&D and it's better than dungeon crawling. When the Warlord bitches about it, everyone reminds him he can't take his horse into a dungeon, which makes him reply "That's for the GM to figure out how to let me use all my abilities in a dungeon."

:commissar:
So, when did you shrink him and his (high) horse?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 31, 2017

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Skyscraper posted:

Ha ha, hey guys, 50 Foot Ant had a bad experience with a problem player! :rolleyes:

I enjoy these stories even if you do make them up.

Worst part is, he's not making it up, he's suger-coating the hell out of it. I haven't wanted to punch a player in the teeth in decades until we met this guy.

This guy was a classic case of alpha-acting tall tubby guy who needs to make everyone think he's The Man. Steps up into your personal space talking loudly in a conflict (even a casual conflict), 'boy I hope I get to shoot me someone in real life' kinda guy.

(edit) As it was, it took that entire 4 weeks to convince Ant that he wasn't over-reacting, and that the guy actually was a complete poo poo-nozzle. Ant was busting his rear end to try to make it work and not give up on it.

Wolvorine fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 24, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

50 Foot Ant posted:

I actively avoid confrontation now, using deescalation and confrontation avoidance strategies I've been taught.

I just told him that it was incompatible gaming styles, that I wasn't really comfortable with the game. He wanted to know why, and got pretty insistent, but I just told him that there was no reason to go into it, and eventually blocked him on Skype and dropped his emails into the junk folder.

As for him and his wife, who knows. It's not my problem. They're happy, and I was just the GM, that's it.

I just told him that it wasn't my job to make sure he could use all his abilities, that he was responsible for figuring out what to use and when, then changed the subject.

Edit: I should have had a 4,000 year old Mummy with powers from Van Ritchen's Guide to the Ancient Dead just bend his Warlord over and breathe bees up his Warlord's rear end.

Warlord is the not-warblade from the not-book-of-nine-swords, right?

Cause if so, and he still can't figure out ways for the warblade to use his abilities in combat, he's an idiot.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
No, the PF Warlord is a budget knockoff of the 4e Warlord. It doesn't really have much in the way of abilities.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just going to leave this line from last night’s “7th Sea” game here and let you guys imagine the context.

“Don’t worry. I have a plan. Spoiler alert, it involves hoes.”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CobiWann posted:

Just going to leave this line from last night’s “7th Sea” game here and let you guys imagine the context.

“Don’t worry. I have a plan. Spoiler alert, it involves hoes.”

Was your party unarmed and locked in a barn?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Wolvorine posted:

Worst part is, he's not making it up, he's suger-coating the hell out of it. I haven't wanted to punch a player in the teeth in decades until we met this guy.

This guy was a classic case of alpha-acting tall tubby guy who needs to make everyone think he's The Man. Steps up into your personal space talking loudly in a conflict (even a casual conflict), 'boy I hope I get to shoot me someone in real life' kinda guy.

(edit) As it was, it took that entire 4 weeks to convince Ant that he wasn't over-reacting, and that the guy actually was a complete poo poo-nozzle. Ant was busting his rear end to try to make it work and not give up on it.

About a year and a half ago, Ant had a series of stories about a player named Stan, that started pretty reasonable but eventually went so over the top that future hilarious stories in this vein seem hard to believe.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Skyscraper posted:

About a year and a half ago, Ant had a series of stories about a player named Stan, that started pretty reasonable but eventually went so over the top that future hilarious stories in this vein seem hard to believe.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

The sad part is I'm not going to bother to look for the posts to check, but I can say just from when you said he posted them and the degree of escalation you indicated that I strongly suspect I know who those posts were about.

BELIEVE THE INSANITY

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wolvorine posted:

The sad part is I'm not going to bother to look for the posts to check, but I can say just from when you said he posted them and the degree of escalation you indicated that I strongly suspect I know who those posts were about.

BELIEVE THE INSANITY

Feel free.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

would you quote them for us (me) poor folks without archives

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Session 5 of the spellslinger wild-west magic nonsense just finished.

The party this session was: Cornertooth, the undead Goblin Necromancer, Doc Ironsides, the Dwarf Cleric, and Jackengill (the Half-Orc Binder who talks to machines).

The party's on a train, on their way to investigate the last big bad guy's secret organization called "the crimson dawn". Jackengil has taken the frozen displacer beast companion of the boss with him, checking it as luggage in the baggage car.

On the train, they meet a well-dressed gnome named Marcotti (who the party decides has either the voice of Danny Devito, or Milhouse Magestorm from Hearthstone) and a traveling elixir salesman named Franklin Spencer. Spencer sells "Dr. Martin’s Fabulous Elixir of Health, guaranteed to cure what ails ya!" (Which is what her calls the product every time he mentions it). Cornertooth buys a "trial size" and promptly pretends to drop dead. This fools everyone, including Doc. He tries to revive him, and when that doesn't much seem to work Jackengill drops a hot coal on him, which "wakes him up".

After this interesting show Doc is approached by a conductor. He asks if he is a doctor, and if he could please follow him. Doc follows to the caboose. There are 8 dead mercenary soldiers, each with cups and a half-empty pot of coffee on the table. Doc investigates and finds that they died quickly but painfully, and the word "fort" etched in the dust. Meanwhile Jackengill decides to do an experiment of his own - drink the coffee. :ughh: He manages to survive (with an amazing roll), and Doc takes notes for future posterity.

The conductor mentions that there are always 10 guaards, 8 in uniform and 2 undercover. They go to search for them, but first they change into the uniforms of the dead guards. Very quickly after doing so one man sees them and goes into a panic, but the train speeds up at the right time to trip them up (Jackengill's talking to the train and in the engine room shoveling coal).

The man is caught. "You should be asleep", but realizes that are not the guards. He explains that he put something in the coffee to knock them out. Cornrertooth says to hold him and come to the caboose in 30 minutes. Doc questions him, asking his name, which is Fortner. "oooh". They go to the back where the Goblin has raised one of the dead guards. In the conversation Fortner says he had no idea it was poison, that it was Marcotti who gave him the poison to use and that he was being blackmailed, with his family as hostages.

The party go to confront Marcotti. At that moment mecha thraces (kind of a ferralish wolf-like horse from the Spellslinger setting) arrive with bandits (all dressed in black Blackhand Army uniforms and black hands).

Goblin deals ongoing damage to one of the guys, which causes him to fall back to recover. Goblin jumps onto his mecha-thraces, but barely misses and hangs on for dear life, trying to attack (with a small penalty). He scares the crap out of the guy, so the bad guy jumps off. Now the Goblin has his own Mecha-thrace!

Marcotti is badly injured, and desperate pulls out dynamite and a match. "Stand back". The Goblin says "oh yeah? Two can play that game" and draws his own Dynamite.... A Mexican stand-off with dynamite. Doc is very nervious being in close range of both dynamite weilder's targets.

Jackengill manages to take him out with a fantastic shot from 3 cars away, but the dynamite is lit. Fortuitously, Doc is able to make a strength check to cover the dynamite with the dead Gnome's body, making a bloody and (because of the ice from the Jackengill's attack) icey mess. (He's described as being like Boris from Golden eye).

Jackengill jumps onto another of the Mecha-thraces and point-blank kills the rider. Jackengill races forward with remaining bandit riders. Jackengill jumps onto the train's engine WITH the mecha-thrace. It's narrated as the mecha-thrace pulling its legs in and just sliding as a torso. The last guy who jumped onto the train runs into the engine room, and meets a angry half-orc (Jackengill) with a shovel full of hot coals. He really wants to use it, but Cornertooth talks the very injured bandit into surrendering, and Jackengill into not hot and col murdering the guy.

Talking with him they find out he didn't really intend harm. The plan was to steal some ghost rock in the back, off-load the passengers and then load the train with enough explosives to put a sizable crater into the town of Dry Gultch (a magi-run town). He explained that Marcotti used to work in some sort of secret facility for the Crimson Dawn. He tried to escape, but they killed his wife in the process.

The disguises was because Martocci didn't like either side and wanted to provoke more war between them.

"Alright" doc says, and steps to the door. "We're going to let you go." The realization of what that means sets in. Faced with a choice between hung and juping out of a moving train, he chooses the later. Doc throws a med kit after him.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sneaky Fast posted:

would you quote them for us (me) poor folks without archives

Too much :words: for quoting, but I threw it in a PasteBin for the hell of it.

As I recall, opinions were divided at the time whether or not 50FA was full of poo poo, but most posters thought they were great stories anyway. Maybe he was a dick DM, but Stan (if he was as described) deserved every bit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was more too it right? I'm sure it ended with with him calling bullshit on Ant's military service and getting beat down.