Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Some thought she was HYDRA due to that seen about "lying" and her saying something about getting better at it or something like that, I don't remember it exactly.

Yeah that's the scene I was thinking of. I remember people throwing out Hydra or aim. It was when she was in the lab with Triplett just after Hydra poo poo was going down at headquarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

gannyGrabber posted:

I love how Xena spent a bunch of interviews telling us about how interesting her character is, how she has all this backstory with Coulson that they are going to explore, etc, and the whole time she was lying to our loving faces.

gently caress you, Xena.
I'm sure they can fix with ALIEN TECHNOLOGY, I mean if they can cure the peepee cancer I think they can figure out how to raise the dead.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Coulson's new allies in the UK... STRIKE? Captain Britain Corps?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Torchwood, clearly.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Klungar posted:

Torchwood, clearly.

Lucy Lawless as the Cyberwoman. :gonk:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. If you go back and rewatch the scene when Fitz and Simmons are talking about the team extracting data from Talbot, there's a shot where it goes from up-close on the two of them, to a shot from further down the hallway, and she clearly isn't there.

Also, that scene where May offers to stay and help makes a lot more sense now.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 24, 2014

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Klungar posted:

Torchwood, clearly.

The only secret organization with worse operational security than S.H.I.E.L.D.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PantsOptional posted:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. If you go back and rewatch the scene when Fitz and Simmons are talking about the team extracting data from Talbot, there's a shot where it goes from up-close on the two of them, to a shot from further down the hallway, and she clearly isn't there.

Also, that scene where May offers to stay and help makes a lot more sense now.

Yup, the one where she had her hand on his shoulder. I went back to check that one too. Pretty sneaky there.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Apparently, Absorbing Man's secondary mutation is super speed because how the gently caress did he get in front of that car.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

oh jay posted:

Apparently, Absorbing Man's secondary mutation is super speed because how the gently caress did he get in front of that car.

He walked. They were taking a very circuitous route there.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

gannyGrabber posted:

I am also very mad that Fitz is on the fritz. They take the very best of the SHIELD team they did the most horrible thing possible to him. gently caress Gemma for abandoning him.
Just had the thought that maybe she left because Fitz was already seeing a fake Jemma and was lashing out angrily at the real one because he was seeing two. :smith:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

gannyGrabber posted:

I am also very mad that Fitz is on the fritz. They take the very best of the SHIELD team they did the most horrible thing possible to him. gently caress Gemma for abandoning him.

I am mad at TV show.

I am the goon that is about to have a melt down. God drat!!!

Hi, gannyGrabber. Welcome to what I can only assume if your first Whedon show. Prepare to have everything you love die!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha, Fitz being :downs: is hilarious.

I hope this show doesn't fall back into terrible episodic poo poo that plagued last season.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Such a great opening for season 2. This show is going places.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Awesome premiere.

A lot more violent and a pretty good VFX budget.

Poor Fitz :negative:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh my god please keep up this quality.

I don't think I have one single complaint about this premiere and I don't know how to deal with that.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Honestly I really hope Fitz doesn't get better. I hope that he slowly falls by the wayside because that lends a shitload more gravitas to proceedings, and especially to what he did to save Simmons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Absorbing Man getting high off of absorbing stuff was incredible.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Based on the dramatic camera lingering on Xena's arm at the end, I believe that they will regrow her from her arm.

Was Simmons being AIM a popular fan theory or is that just a thing I read in this thread?

I think the close-up of her hand was to show that there's some trace of the alien code-writing-looking stuff on there still.

It's also possible the weird metal like, absorbed part of her soul or whatever and they can bring back people it's killed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha, Fitz being :downs: is hilarious.

I hope this show doesn't fall back into terrible episodic poo poo that plagued last season.

Yeah, episodic stuff wouldn't necessarily ruin the show, it just has to be good episodic stuff. If they can keep on using more interesting, serious threat villains like they showed in this episode, then hey, I'm down with some bad-guy-of-the-week stuff with the ongoing plot as a side-dish.

More than anything, the crew behind this show have earned a lot of good will & trust with the end of last season and that season premiere. I stuck with this show because after watching Dollhouse, (and first seasons being shaky in general) I had a lot of hope that this show would improve and I'm really glad that I did.

Creel was great. The VFX blew away anything they did in the first season, he really seemed like a superdude that some Avengers characters might have to fight in a movie. And they even gave him a little bit of character development with the "snorting diamonds" stuff. I'll be interested to see whether they develop him into an actual character, or sorta just keep him as a Terminator-like threat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Great premiere, but I get the strong sense this 084 is going to be put on the backburner and they'll return to monster of the week episodes next week.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

oh jay posted:

HYDRA planned for him to be in there and for him to get out with the obelisk, right? So they also must have planned a way for him to get out of DC besides walking. So he exited the base, hooked up with his ride, probably a helicopter or something, spotted the not at all subtle because we're panicking black SUV, dropped Creel off in their way, and BAM.

Not even much of a stretch, really.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Can somebody give me a two or three sentence Cliff Notes for this episode? My DVR thought it'd be a great time for a software update and the premiere didn't record.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

jng2058 posted:

HYDRA planned for him to be in there and for him to get out with the obelisk, right? So they also must have planned a way for him to get out of DC besides walking. So he exited the base, hooked up with his ride, probably a helicopter or something, spotted the not at all subtle because we're panicking black SUV, dropped Creel off in their way, and BAM.

Not even much of a stretch, really.

DC traffic is really loving awful, you don't even need all that to explain it. I have no difficulty believing that he could have beat them there on foot. DC has perhaps the worst urban planning in the nation, the only logic used when laying out the road planning for that place was how to make the best bitchin' rad alchemical symbol. And they did that but in terms of driving, it's just horrific.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gonz posted:

Can somebody give me a two or three sentence Cliff Notes for this episode? My DVR thought it'd be a great time for a software update and the premiere didn't record.

Xena had her hand cut off and died, Fitz has brain damage and is hallucinating Simmons, Ward claims to know about Agent Poots' father and an actual well known comic villain showed up. After kidnapping Peter Petrelli, Agents of Nothing stole a Quintjet. A Nazi from WW2 seems to have not aged at all.

Honestly it was a really fun episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Xena's not dead, haven't you guys learned anything yet

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

gannyGrabber posted:

I am mad at TV show.

I am the goon that is about to have a melt down. God drat!!!

You don't think she'll show back up later with some type of brain-repairer eventually? Even if he is getting better slowly, it seems like she would do everything she could to help, even if she went to some other team (like whatever the UK shield analogue is, where Coulson visited her).

EDIT: Chill man, it's just a tv show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Xena's not dead, haven't you guys learned anything yet

Yeah, I'm not 100% on Izzy actually being dead. We saw what looked to be her lifeless, one-handed corpse bleeding with a close-up on her face, but the show has two people who've died still walking around and last season two dead people were turned into cyborgs.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Echoing everyone else when I say I hope they can keep up this level of quality. The show has really picked up ever since hydra was introduced.

Its definitely a lot better than the first season premiere was.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

Potsticker posted:

Xena had her hand cut off and died, Fitz has brain damage and is hallucinating Simmons, Ward claims to know about Agent Poots' father and an actual well known comic villain showed up. After kidnapping Nathan Petrelli, Agents of Nothing stole a Quintjet. A Nazi from WW2 seems to have not aged at all.

Honestly it was a really fun episode.

:eng101: Peter was also an absorbing man, I guess.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fitz has gone full Topher :(

Ward is cray cray :allears:

Great premiere, it feels like the writers really know what they want to be doing with the show now.

e: Just had a thought. Could the Obelisk be an Infinity Gem?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 24, 2014

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I'm not 100% on Izzy actually being dead.

Yeah her dying would be the worst waste of Lucy Lawless ever.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rarity posted:

e: Just had a thought. Could the Obelisk be an Infinity Gem?

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but they're at 3 out of 6 infinity gems/stones identified in the movies so far. With Avengers 3 fairly explicitly going to be Thanos w/ Infinity Gauntlet vs. the Avengers and hopefully the Guardians of the Galaxy, they still have all the marvel movies after Avengers 2 (Ant-man, GotG 2, Iron Man 4, Thor 3, Captain America 3, possibly Doctor Strange/Black Panther) to fit in the last 3, and they could even have Thanos get the last gem at the start of Avengers 3 if they need or want to.

I do think it's highly unlikely though. I'd rather that the latest 084 tie in to the Kree a bit and somehow have a connection with GotG through that (perhaps by interacting with the Kree empire or Nova Corps. Maybe the Kree/Nova have an undercover guy on Earth?).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NowonSA posted:

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but they're at 3 out of 6 infinity gems/stones identified in the movies so far. With Avengers 3 fairly explicitly going to be Thanos w/ Infinity Gauntlet vs. the Avengers and hopefully the Guardians of the Galaxy, they still have all the marvel movies after Avengers 2 (Ant-man, GotG 2, Iron Man 4, Thor 3, Captain America 3, possibly Doctor Strange/Black Panther) to fit in the last 3, and they could even have Thanos get the last gem at the start of Avengers 3 if they need or want to.

I do think it's highly unlikely though. I'd rather that the latest 084 tie in to the Kree a bit and somehow have a connection with GotG through that (perhaps by interacting with the Kree empire or Nova Corps. Maybe the Kree/Nova have an undercover guy on Earth?).

There's no Iron Man 4. However I suspect Avengers 2 will use Loki's staff to give Ultron sentience thus confirming it's the Mind Gem so we will be 4 of 6.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SpecialF posted:

:eng101: Peter was also an absorbing man, I guess.

Whoops sorry, got my Heroes mixed up. :eng99:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah right I forgot about Mind gem probably being Loki's staff. One more reason for Agents of Shield not to uncover an infinity stone then.

Oh, I guess there probably won't be an Iron Man 4 after all. I hadn't heard about that, it's quite surprising to me actually. I guess that's the way to go if Downey isn't 100% on board with the idea. I'd rather have him in Avengers 2 and 3 than get an Iron Man 4.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It really probably isn't. All the other gems so far were amazingly powerful, with world destroying consequences. The staff could control one person at a time, could be stopped by a simple metal plate over the heart and cured by a tap on the head. If it were a gem, you should be able to control thousands of people at a time.

But anyway, yes, this was awesome. I freely admit that I was pretty cynical, the commercials really didn't sell me on the new season and I fully expected it lose all the momentum of the last few episodes and go back to being a rather underwhelming monster of the week show. Boy was I wrong. They basically fixed everything that was a problem with the first season, have an ongoing thread from the get go and gave all the characters a lot more characterization and moves them away from the walking cliches they were and all the chaarcters they added are pretty interesting on their own.

I am actually pretty stoked for the next episode.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That was really good. Poor Fitz and crazy Ward is amazing

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I just thought of a cool thing that could come up next episode, or in the very near future. What if Coulson has access to the Kree-blood revival serum that was used on him (not too implausible, since he has the files on it, used to run the program before his Tahiti-style memory wipe, and they could have reclaimed the original stash that the woman in the flower dress was researching to try to crack the serum), and then has to decide whether to use it on Lawless? She was pretty adamant about wanting to live, and with her past with Coulson she might basically be to him what Coulson was to Fury, someone he trusts and cares for enough to put through a risky and very traumatizing procedure just for a chance to save them. Even better, what if he Tahiti's her as well?

Revived Lawless with a robot arm is something I can get behind. She might even turn on the team as a sign of the mental trauma/damage that Coulson detailed in his report on the Tahiti project, and cause Coulson some anguish both about what he's done to Lawless and what might be in store for his future sanity. Maybe she latches on to Coulson putting the "get a cloaking Quinjet" mission ahead of "extract the horribly injured and dying Lawless."

If I were writing it, that's the approach I would take. I do think it's pretty drat likely we haven't seen the last of her though, unless they were pulling some really crazy stunt casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NowonSA posted:

Even better, what if he Tahiti's her as well?

All the TAHITI equipment would have been lost when the facility blew. The brain-rewriting robot arm got squished. :(

• Locked thread