Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Is a phone lanyard a thing and if not why not and if so are they cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Brock Landers posted:

Is there a chance the phone could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So in regards to the keyboard not working when the phone is in landscape and your hand is covering he proximity sensor: not only does the keyboard not accept input, nothing does. Seriously. Load up a landscape app, hold the phone as if it were a PSP, and then try to touch something. Won't work. The same does not apply when the phone is in portrait mode.

[Edit: turning the screen on and off fixed it]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 24, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eriddy posted:

Text, talk, drive, & rock, man.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eriddy posted:

Weird; I saw one of these today on the train for the first time just today and was wondering what the deal was. Maybe it's a new thing.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Bunleigh posted:

This bending scandal kind of reminds me of the thing they had with the 4(?) where people would lose reception if they held it the wrong way.

Holding-gate?

No that's not right...

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
:eyepop:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

Weird; I saw one of these today on the train for the first time just today and was wondering what the deal was. Maybe it's a new thing.

If anything it'll help people save money because I guess for many women their tight pants and tiny pockets shoot phones straight into toilets. It's like squeezing a bar of soap.

I've told friends to "just strap that poo poo to your body" but not like this. Never like this. :stonk:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

If you give it a moment.

gently caress yeah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

If you give it a moment.

:bravo:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tuyop posted:

If anything it'll help people save money because I guess for many women their tight pants and tiny pockets shoot phones straight into toilets. It's like squeezing a bar of soap.

I've told friends to "just strap that poo poo to your body" but not like this. Never like this. :stonk:

This exact thing is why my old Nokia 3200 died. I stood up off the toilet, pulled up my pants too fast and catapulted my phone out of my pocket, into the wall, and rebounded into the toilet.

I had to flush before I got it out. Still works.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Apple Warrior #1 says it's a non issue

Get Bent ★
I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Don Tacorleone posted:

Get Bent ★
I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Yes! It's a feature!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

Get Bent ★

Unironically agreed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One can only hope that Bend-ghazi will result in youtubes of people accidentally bending their phones.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The iPhone Thread: Bend Your Purchase

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Aw christ....

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bendghazi&src=typd

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I still think antenna-gate was worse.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like a lanyard phone thing is just a really easy target in 99% of situations and very awkward in the other 1%.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Newsflash: people wear tight fitting jeans (raises hand), just because you might not doesn't mean nobody else should.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

noirstronaut posted:

I feel like a lanyard phone thing is just a really easy target in 99% of situations and very awkward in the other 1%.

Lanyard phone is the dumbest carrying method ever. And I lived through the belt-clip era!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Newsflash: people wear tight fitting jeans (raises hand), just because you might not doesn't mean nobody else should.
If your jeans are tight enough to BEND YOUR PHONE INTO THE CONTOUR OF YOUR LEG then I think you might have a problem.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

Get Bent ★

I think this line of reasoning only makes sense if other, similar sized phones behave the same or worse.
I mean, when I'm making a purchase I don't try to compare the product's features to some theoretical expectation of what it should be capable of, I just see which product has the best set of features for me. Ability to withstand a lot of pressure may be a feature not many people need, but it's certainly one other phones have and the 6+ doesn't.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

I think this line of reasoning only makes sense if other, similar sized phones behave the same or worse.
I mean, when I'm making a purchase I don't try to compare the product's features to some theoretical expectation of what they should be capable of, I just see which product has the best set of features for me. Ability to withstand a lot of pressure may be a feature not many people need, but it's certainly one other phones have and the 6+ doesn't.

This is why someone needs to man up and do some flexural testing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does it matter if your phone bends? Bring it to the store, Apple will replace it. Who cares? (Yeah blah blah people living away from stores)

Or trade it in for a less outrageously sized phone and contemplate your phablet folly.

noirstronaut posted:

Also, please tell me you mean target for nerf gun darts. Because otherwise what are you talking about?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Would Apple replace it or claim that it's your fault and ask you to pay a fee?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

withak posted:

This is why someone needs to man up and do some flexural testing.

iPhone 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Galaxy Note 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If your jeans are tight enough to BEND YOUR PHONE INTO THE CONTOUR OF YOUR LEG then I think you might have a problem.

Isn't that the point of a thinner phone in the first place?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
And this is pretty much the reason I never buy the non-S version of iPhones. Apple is an awesome second-generation product company. Same with the apple watch.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

Isn't that the point of a thinner phone in the first place?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tuyop posted:

And this is pretty much the reason I never buy the non-S version of iPhones. Apple is an awesome second-generation product company. Same with the apple watch.

The 5 was actually cool and good. Hope this helps.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm having a problem with my 6 that I haven't seen anyone else post about, and nothing comes up on google. When I am listening to podcasts/music the volume bar spontaneously will raise itself to max volume. After I go turn the volume back down, it will inevitably happen again. The timing is always different-- sometimes it happens after 5-10 seconds, sometimes 2-3 minutes, but without a doubt the volume will raise itself to max within 5 minutes of being turned down. I'm pretty sure that there is no extra pressure on the side volume buttons or anything like that, unless just keeping the phone in my pocket will do this? It happens whether I lock the phone or not before putting it back in my pocket.

Is this a known issue or should I be making a genius bar appointment to get the phone checked out?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

Yeah, except not.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
Has anyone seen Apple leather cases anywhere outside of an Apple store yet? Nothing at Best Buy. Listed as "coming soon" at Staples.

Also, what time is it officially that Apple is updating stock status to reserve a phone for in store pick up? I have heard both 10PM and 12AM...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tuyop posted:

Also, please tell me you mean target for nerf gun darts. Because otherwise what are you talking about?

I assume he means a target for theft. The lanyard makes it super visible and (probably) quite easy to take.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

carry on then posted:

The 5 was actually cool and good. Hope this helps.

What about chamfer-gate -ghazi -Iran-Contra -teapot-dome Petticoat Affair?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr. Fix It posted:

Chamfershirtwaist was a nonissue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

I had an iPhone 5 and didn't experience any exceptional problems with the chamfered edges. They're polished, so of course any scuffing is more noticeable, but iPhone launches are the most high profile in the tech world, aside from a new Xbox or Playstation, so people blow everything out of proportion, except people are dumber with handheld devices than a console that's clearly meant to sit in a stable, safe location.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Can anyone help me with my iPhone 4S? I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask, but it won't charge anymore. It was fine earlier today, until, at one point this afternoon, it started vibrating like it does when you plug it in while charging at my desk. I noticed that when it happened and tapped the top button to wake it, when it noticed it wasn't charging any longer. Since then, it hasn't taken a charge.

I've tried 3 different cables, plugging into different USB charger plugs, plugging into my computer, hard restart (home + top button), normal restart (top button), toggling the mute button back and forth and then trying to restart (I saw somewhere to try this... idk?), can't get it to go into restore mode because it doesn't recognize that its plugged in. No water damage red line indicator things. cleaned out the port area with a safety pin hoping it might be lint.

Nothing happens when you plug it in. Its not dead yet, but I can't get a Genius Bar appt til this weekend. Am I boned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
To be fair, I keep my iPhone 6 Plus in my front pocket (Levis 514), with a silicone case (on from day one) and just found a slight bend on my phone on the corner. (Tested with display down to avoid camera wobble).
And yet, my front pocket has enough excess room even with my phone in it to fit my hand, so maybe my thighs are just massive or something? :confused: