Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It wasn't America who bombed your wedding party, it was the free market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Job Truniht posted:

Military contractors fighting ISIS should be a reality show, it would be as :stare: worthy as a reality show about Grover building houses.

Bill O'Reilly presents:

Grover's War on Terror

He hosts from a 'Tool Time' esque set introducing our bold mercenaries on the frontlines

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

gently caress how long has O'Reilly been sitting on this plan? Just get some guys together and go kill the terrorists, that's all we gotta do? He could've prevented 9/11!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I feel like if somebody told Bill O'Reilly about Gurkhas he would get really excited.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tender Bender posted:

gently caress how long has O'Reilly been sitting on this plan? Just get some guys together and go kill the terrorists, that's all we gotta do? He could've prevented 9/11!

I feel like you're unfairly belittling him here a bit. These aren't going to just be "some guys;" we're talking about powerful men trained by the US special forces and NATO. Maybe even with cyber implants depending on whether or not Obama is really committed to defeating ISIS.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some guy on Hannity is suggesting that Obama is launching air strikes in such a way as to minimize terrorist casualties, not because of some ulterior motive but because he's "weak." I guess Obama didn't put enough skill ranks in "bomb terrorist".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

vintagepurple posted:

Some guy on Hannity is suggesting that Obama is launching air strikes in such a way as to minimize terrorist casualties, not because of some ulterior motive but because he's "weak." I guess Obama didn't put enough skill ranks in "bomb terrorist".

What happened to the idea that people are supposed to support the President out of patriotism and a sense of duty? It's a rhetorical question. I know that concept doesn't apply to the other team's President.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

radical meme posted:

What happened to the idea that people are supposed to support the President out of patriotism and a sense of duty? It's a rhetorical question. I know that concept doesn't apply to the other team's President.

We're at war! You need to stand behind the President in this war against... drugs, and uh... terrorism?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

One of my favorite things about reading Jon Chait are his articles on Paul Ryan. Here's one he wrote today on the boy genius:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/09/paul-ryan-declares-war-against-math.html

There was this very brief instance during the 2012 election where the beltway media lost interest in him after he got rocked in the debate by the very un-smart Joe Biden, but it seems the little wunderkind is slowly working his way back into their hearts.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Tender Bender posted:

Bill O'Reilly is so loving stupid but this plan is a new level of retarded that I didn't expect to hear from him. Predictably, he won't consider the possibility that he's wrong and has guests on to bloviate at for five minutes without seriously considering anything they have to say.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

McDowell posted:

Bill O'Reilly presents:

Grover's War on Terror

He hosts from a 'Tool Time' esque set introducing our bold mercenaries on the frontlines

Grover pastes on a fake beard and pretends to be with ISIS, helps build their barracks, and within 2 weeks they're all dead due to collapsed load-bearing drywall, electrical fires, and tripping over the uneven flooring. No F-22s or combat lasers necessary :getin:

EDIT: Obligatory

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Grover pastes on a fake beard and pretends to be with ISIS, helps build their barracks, and within 2 weeks they're all dead due to collapsed load-bearing drywall, electrical fires, and tripping over the uneven flooring. No F-22s or combat lasers necessary :getin:

Wait I got this: A=L*W...what?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ninjasaurus posted:

Bill O'Reilly is so loving stupid but this plan is a new level of retarded that I didn't expect to hear from him. Predictably, he won't consider the possibility that he's wrong and has guests on to bloviate at for five minutes without seriously considering anything they have to say.

Reminder, Bill O'Reilly literally thought that the tides were a universal mystery.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My favorite part of this picture has always been Calm Light-Skinned Arab. He's just chilling in the foreground and looking off into the distance like, "Yeah, everything's all right."

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Reminder, Bill O'Reilly literally thought that the tides were a universal mystery.

Has anyone ever laughed in his face about this kind of stuff? Like, has he ever had a guest who just laughs at him for being an idiot for the whole interview while he throws his usual screaming tantrum? Even Stewart talks to him like a he's an adult, which I think is a mistake his guests keep making.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That always blew my mind because it means that not only does he lack the scientific understanding of a 10 year old, he has never read a newspaper from either coast. It's like saying nobody knows when the next full moon will be.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Has anyone ever laughed in his face about this kind of stuff? Like, has he ever had a guest who just laughs at him for being an idiot for the whole interview while he throws his usual screaming tantrum? Even Stewart talks to him like a he's an adult, which I think is a mistake his guests keep making.

I don't know the context beyond the video, but I see this get posted a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjUsu2-QMQ

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Didn't O'Reilly get burned at one of those press dinners? I have this memory of a shot of him in the audience with a frozen, uncomfortable look on his face. Maybe I'm thinking of Trump.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

beatlegs posted:

Didn't O'Reilly get burned at one of those press dinners? I have this memory of a shot of him in the audience with a frozen, uncomfortable look on his face. Maybe I'm thinking of Trump.

Or was that the C-SPAN event with Franken?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hazo posted:

My favorite part of this picture has always been Calm Light-Skinned Arab. He's just chilling in the foreground and looking off into the distance like, "Yeah, everything's all right."

He's originally from the bin laden mountain fortress play set graphic.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah I know. Dude still looks awkwardly and hilariously content being in a war zone.

Has anyone ever laughed in his face about this kind of stuff? Like, has he ever had a guest who just laughs at him for being an idiot for the whole interview while he throws his usual screaming tantrum? Even Stewart talks to him like a he's an adult, which I think is a mistake his guests keep making
O'Reilly would never have someone smart enough to oppose him on his show. The closest he got was Colbert back in 2007 or so, and even then Colbert just hosed around with him in character because he, like every other sane person, knows O'Reilly is a huge sham.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lowtechs posted:

Here is O'Rielly getting smacked down on his own show regarding the "O-Team". It is very funny.

http://mediamatters.org/embed/static/clips/2014/09/22/36870/fnc-factor-20140922-mercarmy-pushback

gently caress me. Lecturing a Ph.D. from the Naval War College about the history of war. What an ego.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Don't forget that he's also a sexual predator who bought his victim's silence.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

happyhippy posted:

Don't forget that he's also a sexual predator who bought his victim's silence.

With Loofahs.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

O'Reilly's comical vision for super spies that fight terrorists is more this than G.I Joe.

I still think peak O'Reilly is when he told a college professor that he looked like a cocaine dealer.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

vintagepurple posted:

He put all his points into Corps Explosion instead.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Radish posted:

I still think peak O'Reilly is when he told a college professor that he looked like a cocaine dealer.

I might say it was when he was completely amazed that black people are in fact normal humans and dont hoot and holler and behave like animals at restaurants.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

vintagepurple posted:

Air strikes are well known to cause minimal casualties. Just ask the thousands of Iraqi and Afghani civilians killed by them!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ReidRansom posted:

I might say it was when he was completely amazed that black people are in fact normal humans and dont hoot and holler and behave like animals at restaurants.

He just could not process the idea of black people acting like human beings. Blew his mind.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lycus posted:

Someone I've talked to: "Why don't we just hire Rambo-type people to do this stuff?"

Because these people are currently homeless, looked down on if not hated by their fellow Americans and dealing with severe psychological problems while wondering why society lets this happen to them after trusting them with millions of dollars in kit just a few years prior.

First Blood is the only real Rambo movie.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

He just could not process the idea of black people acting like human beings. Blew his mind.

Yeah, total genuine shock. It was so mind blowing that he felt the need to excitedly report it to his viewers, thinking (probably rightly given the demographic) that it would be equally shocking and newsworthy to them. Like no one had witnessed it before, a world first, black people in their native habitat and holy poo poo surprise it doesn't look like a loving minstrel show. It was the whitest thing I've ever seen.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We really did build Bin Laden up to be a GI Joe villain and then it turned out he was living in the suburbs watching reruns.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My favorite part of that O'Reilly bit is where he goes "They would be a US trained force operating under the Geneva convention" or something like that. Don't we already have that? Called the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines?

Is the summary of his whole argument that our current armed forces are too visible and stuck following the law and we need an elite force that isn't bound by such trivialities?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

LloydDobler posted:

My favorite part of that O'Reilly bit is where he goes "They would be a US trained force operating under the Geneva convention" or something like that. Don't we already have that? Called the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines?

Is the summary of his whole argument that our current armed forces are too visible and stuck following the law and we need an elite force that isn't bound by such trivialities?

Mercenaries are forbidden by the Geneva convention anyway.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Beamed posted:

Well, that explains why I hardly ever run into Hessian soldiers, these days. Yet another example of burdensome regulation interfering with the free market.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

LloydDobler posted:

Not even that. He (I think rightly) believes that the US population would not support another invasion in the Middle East. His bonkers solution is to duplicate existing forces, call them something other than the Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines, and then voila! We don't have to care what the country thinks because reasons.

It's surprisingly stupid, even by O'Reilly's standards.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And besides, we already do have an elite non-uniformed special forces group not really bound by law, the CIA Special Activities Division, and they're probably crawling all over the place there already and are likely at least partially responsible for a lot of the mess that keeps happening in some form or another.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Well, that explains why I hardly ever run into Hessian soldiers, these days. Yet another example of burdensome regulation interfering with the free market.

Plus, I think the Hessians are a bit busy shepherding the Euro these days.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beamed posted:

Shadow Company
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg3n68_shadow-company-documentary_shortfilms 6:20-6:40

"If you look at the UN definition of mercenary, it's a joke. Someone once said, if anybody's ever convicted of being a mercenary under UN law, they should be shot- and their lawyer should be shot with them, because they're incompetent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

LloydDobler posted:

His whole argument is that he thinks America is stupid enough to buy into another neocon-led round of dumping blood and money into the ME as long as there's some semantics* that keep anyone from needing to say "Sending our troops to Iraq"

*warning: Semantics may include childish GI Joe/Tom Clancy toughman fantasies and naked abandonment of all sense and morals.