Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

Rock and Roll:
Your ship performs an animated roll maneuver, preventing all incoming damage for a short duration.

I want this, I will have it.

I recall bitching about not being able to do this years ago to DStahl. He challenged me to find a piece of footage where a starship did acrobatics. I found a clip where the Defiant did a loop, and then he quit talking to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Burning_Monk posted:

Nice! I was thinking a Risian Corvette, with defense maxed, called Can't Touch This

Finally an update I can get behind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baron Porkface posted:

Which are the best and worst episode series-es?
I'd say the BEST ones are the recent things with the Dyson sphere and the Undine. Past that it probably depends what show stuff you liked best. I'd say early on they have some good stuff - the Tholian time travel one with the Enterprise-C was a highlight.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Cardassian arc is pretty bad. It picks up at the end for the 2nd wave stuff, although that arc includes Of Bajor which is pretty crap. I'd say try everything except the early Cardie poo poo just jump ahead to 2nd wave.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Fed/Klingon War arc is okay.*BONNIE KIN*BONNIE KIN* Neat going into the past and seeing old favorites.
Romulan arc is pretty repetitive. Go here, shoot, go here, shoot, etc.
Cardie arc starts bad, gets worse, and finishes pretty good starting with Second Wave.
Breen arc is fun and puzzly, but you'll need a walkthrough to complete them.
Borg arc got redone recently, still not terribly fun. Borg are a chore to kill even with buffs.
Solanae/Dyson arc is worth it. Actual variation in missions and cool visuals.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Once they started bringing the Trek voice actors onboard it feels like they increased the amount of busy work in the stories just to luxuriate in having oh my God it's Worf! available to them. The three recent episodes all feel like they start turtle-slow, become interesting, then end with a space battle that's at least twice as long as it needs to be.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

There is nothing good in the Cardassian arc.

:colbert:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

All the missions in the Cardassian arc (except the ones from the 2800 feature episode) are basically the last remnants of the original vanilla launch missions and all of them are absolutely horrible, imbalanced, and buggy. Which makes it even more baffling that Cryptic chose that arc to be the one all three factions share. :ughh:

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
The Wastelands series is basically terrible,too. At one point I was wondering if it was some pubbie written bullshit that got its start in the foundry.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Filthy Lucre posted:

The Wastelands series is basically terrible,too. At one point I was wondering if it was some pubbie written bullshit that got its start in the foundry.

It is. But that makes it so much more satisfying when you kill every single person in that "secret hidden base that's impossible to get to"... and also a really popular dance club.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Asimo posted:

All the missions in the Cardassian arc (except the ones from the 2800 feature episode) are basically the last remnants of the original vanilla launch missions and all of them are absolutely horrible, imbalanced, and buggy. Which makes it even more baffling that Cryptic chose that arc to be the one all three factions share. :ughh:

I know I've said it here before, and all, but I really wish they'd redone the Cardassian arc before Delta Rising - and that it'd featured Garak.

A Cardassian expansion would be acceptable, though.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Filthy Lucre posted:

With the ex-borg bartender and bar-owner.

That might not have been so bad if they cut like, half of it. The scorpion and worm fights are trivial and just pad out everything without any decent payoff. Barfight is fun, Gorn canyon isn't too bad, Installation 18 is worth it for the creepy camera sceen, but the first half just drags.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Xtern1ty pubbies complaining about not being promoted:

http://pastebin.com/TX1gwVXX

The fact that cadets, whom I'm assuming is their lowest rank, can't actually donate to the fleet is kind of funny.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Mormon Star Wars posted:

That might not have been so bad if they cut like, half of it. The scorpion and worm fights are trivial and just pad out everything without any decent payoff. Barfight is fun, Gorn canyon isn't too bad, Installation 18 is worth it for the creepy camera sceen, but the first half just drags.

Part of the issue is that the arc was supposed to double as a tutorial for the Nimbus adventure zone. So yeah they padded it with a bunch of crap to introduce you to all the tedious new poo poo you could do to earn a pittance of dil.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cryptic really does have a persistent issue with properly rationing time versus reward don't they?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Cryptic really does have a persistent issue with properly rationing time versus reward don't they?

I imagine it looks a lot more balanced when you time things based off of a Standard Cryptic Fitting.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's no voice acting better than the DS9 Commander.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
THIS IS KURLAND

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SKY COQ posted:

THIS IS KURLAND

It's like the just got the UPS guy to talk into a trashcan with a microphone in it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The voice acting for the entire Second Wave arc is horrible, and if Cryptic had any decency they would've stripped all the voice clips out when they heard the results. Kurland is easy to pick on, the female Vorta that runs the station during the arc is another horrible, horrible feature.

Also the writing is terrible and inconsistent, especially around Kara'kun.

Also the final mission is a giant pit where you spend half of it slowly plodding along doing nothing but a memorization game for the first half.

What I'm trying to say is that the Second Wave arc sucks and I'd rather have had another inexplicable romp through the Fire Caves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Conskill posted:

The voice acting for the entire Second Wave arc is horrible, and if Cryptic had any decency they would've stripped all the voice clips out when they heard the results. Kurland is easy to pick on, the female Vorta that runs the station during the arc is another horrible, horrible feature.

Yeah but the only voice acting they've ever had that isn't horrible besides TV actors returning is Tovan.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
T'Nae's VA is sketchy too- one moment it's like she's in the room next to you, next she's speaking through an old-timey radio- in the same scene :ughh:

Hakeev's awesome though; it's surprising his acting isn't preceded by a flashing Omega symbol for all the scenery he masticates.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I looked at that poo poo and said "Is this the Firefly ERP zone?"

I am unsure if I am correct.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Most of Cryptic's VA are literally the Cryptic staff, programmers, and CMs. :ssh: I forget which one admitted to being Kurland... Geko I think? But there you go. :v:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Asimo posted:

What, you don't like having your BOFFs fall off the bridges in the Cave of Fire?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Obisek :allears:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
They hired Duke frigging Nukem for like one line.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Most of Cryptic's VA are literally the Cryptic staff, programmers, and CMs. :ssh: I forget which one admitted to being Kurland... Geko I think? But there you go. :v:

Doctor Cooper may be the most annoying of the lot. Whiny little poo poo.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
People play this game with the voice acting turned on?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How's the whole Temporal Warfare set roll up? Assuming I'm Antiproton to start with.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dootman posted:

People play this game with the voice acting turned on?

You can turn it off!? :psyboom:

Please tell me you can turn it off.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Just Another Lurker posted:

You can turn it off!? :psyboom:

Please tell me you can turn it off.

Options -> Audio -> Voice volume to 0

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dootman posted:

Options -> Audio -> Voice volume to 0

Does that also turn off things like the computer voice that alerts you to shields being down or your hull is at 75%? Because I find those useful.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Does that also turn off things like the computer voice that alerts you to shields being down or your hull is at 75%? Because I find those useful.

Please tell me you aren't one of those people I thought was apocryphal, who only pop emergency to x when there's an actual 'emergency'.

You should be spamming all the things, all the time.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Hunter Noventa posted:

No, it doesn't actually.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

Please tell me you aren't one of those people I thought was apocryphal, who only pop emergency to x when there's an actual 'emergency'.

You should be spamming all the things, all the time.

Yeah but there's 'oh poo poo' buttons like Miracle Worker.

Okay, mainly Miracle Worker.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Reverse shield polarity too! :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus there's something delightfully trekkie about having the computer report stuff to you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

MoraleHazard posted:

Xtern1ty pubbies complaining about not being promoted:

http://pastebin.com/TX1gwVXX

The fact that cadets, whom I'm assuming is their lowest rank, can't actually donate to the fleet is kind of funny.

Oh poo poo. I have no doubt Xean set permissions like that to keep any more of those dirty SFD types from joining his fleet and tainting it with their filthy contributions again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dootman posted:

No, it doesn't actually.

That's absolutely wonderful! :circlefap:

No longer shall i endure the pestilence of inept voice acting.

• Locked thread