Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

caberham posted:

There's a metro stop called Watson's? gently caress me :suicide:

That's a store located between two MRT stops.

Also hey my apartment is somewhere on that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slowpoke! posted:

Most night markets open at 5, but not all of the stalls will be set up or ready to serve food by then. 6-7 is usually safer if you want to see everything. Shilin is a beast, even on a regular weekday, so if you want to avoid the crowds, go as early as possible. After 7, when the people who set up their poo poo in the middle of the walking street are out, it becomes a congested mess of people slowly shuffling by. I think the Raohe Night Market is better and easier to navigate around, though it's not close to any MRT stop.

If you want to go to a night market around Taipei 101, there is Tonghua Night Market. It's not as touristy, but it has food and shops none-the-less. Here is an MS Paint map I made for you.

I'll probably do that tomorrow. Don't they also light up Taipei 101 in different colors at night? Would like to get a picture of that. I think I'll hold off on going to Shinlin tonight, because my back is still sore and stiff from today. I'm going to have to remember to not use those shoes when I'm going to be on my feet for so long.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

That's a store located between two MRT stops.

Also hey my apartment is somewhere on that map.

I'm dumb

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

As many 7-Elevens, Watsons, and whatever that third one is called, you may as well start naming stations after them. I got off the bus from the Palace museum, cross the street to get to Shilin station, pass the 7-Eleven, stop, go back and buy a Coke. I go around the corner to the station and there is another 7-Eleven. I mean literally less than a minute walking distance from each other.

I haven't been into a Watsons yet, though, do they sell Pepsi? I haven't actually seen Pepsi or Dr Pepper since I've got to Taiwan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

There's a metro stop called Watson's? gently caress me :suicide:
Says the guy living in a territory with a subway stop named after Mobil. :colbert:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

YF19pilot posted:

As many 7-Elevens, Watsons, and whatever that third one is called, you may as well start naming stations after them. I got off the bus from the Palace museum, cross the street to get to Shilin station, pass the 7-Eleven, stop, go back and buy a Coke. I go around the corner to the station and there is another 7-Eleven. I mean literally less than a minute walking distance from each other.

I haven't been into a Watsons yet, though, do they sell Pepsi? I haven't actually seen Pepsi or Dr Pepper since I've got to Taiwan.

Ah, to be young and fresh enough in Taiwan to still be mesmerized at the number of convenience stores :allears:

Pretty sure 7-11 sells Pepsi, most convenience stores do, but it's just normal pepsi, no diet/light/whatever variants. Good luck finding a Dr. Pepper here, it can occasionally be found in a can if you're at a place catering especially to foreigners, but they have to get it specially imported so you get to pay specially raised prices for it.

Watson's is a drugstore, they do sell impulse buy things like candies and some drinks but you'd be better off going to a convenience store for that.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
You can usually find Dr. Pepper at the Wellcome supermarkets.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Really? I've never seen it in a Wellcome. Jason's, totally, but not a Wellcome. Although our local Wellcome kind of sucks for "exotic" foods like vegemite, Dr. Pepper, and kidney beans.

YF19pilot posted:

I go around the corner to the station and there is another 7-Eleven. I mean literally less than a minute walking distance from each other.
Oh man that's nothing. Stand out front of my apartment building and you can see three 7-Elevens and three Family Marts without even moving.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ah, to be young and fresh enough in Taiwan to still be mesmerized at the number of convenience stores :allears:

Pretty sure 7-11 sells Pepsi, most convenience stores do, but it's just normal pepsi, no diet/light/whatever variants. Good luck finding a Dr. Pepper here, it can occasionally be found in a can if you're at a place catering especially to foreigners, but they have to get it specially imported so you get to pay specially raised prices for it.

Watson's is a drugstore, they do sell impulse buy things like candies and some drinks but you'd be better off going to a convenience store for that.

All the ones I've popped into haven't had it, though they're mostly small shops, only carrying Coke and sasparilla. Haven't seen a Pepsi yet. Not that I'm desperate for one, just something I've noticed.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah I dunno, maybe it's a regional thing, there are three (!) Wellcomes by my house which I actually go to rather frequently, since at least one of them will usually have some romaine in stock. I've never seen a Dr. Pepper for sale. I live out in the boonies of New Taipei City though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Pepsi doesn't have a very strong foothold here. It's the sad times drink of Yum! Foods brand stores. But there's even some Pizza Huts that have Coke here.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been to a lot of Pizza Huts (I know, I know) and they've ALL had Coke, which yeah, seems totally bizarre to me.

On the other hand, Costco switched from Coke to Pepsi about a year ago, or maybe a bit more now. I think it's the only place you can get Mountain Dew in Taiwan, definitely the only place you can get it from a fountain. Some of the big movie theaters use Pepsi, too, they play some weird CGI video of kids playing basketball and drinking refreshing Pepsi on a hot day before the movie starts.

I really did think you could at least get a bottle of Pepsi at 7-11 but truth be told I don't really check so the situation could have changed.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Pepsi shows up at the occasional convenience store. The Pizza Huts here are crap in general. The Buffet is always going to be one kind of pizza everyone likes and five kinds of things that literally nobody wants to eat, like teriyaki squid balls and mayo pizza. I'll never understand why they try so hard to localize food that people order specifically to fetishize westernness.

But hey by all means squid ball and mayo teppanyaki pizza coming right up.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Okay, so I admit I frequent a pizza hut buffet probably about once a month when I get a craving for pizza. It's actually not THAT bad as far as the pizza is concerned. You're right, they have the weird poo poo that you mentioned, but people seem to go for it. There's usually at least two "safe" ones, almost always a Hawaiian pizza out and usually one that's like beef and bell peppers which ain't band either. Every once in a while they serve up a normal pepperoni or supreme pizza which is like a gift from above. Some of the weird Asian choice are surprisingly okay, but I don't dine on mayo and squid pizza, which you weren't exaggerating on at all. There's also a pizza that literally has french fries and jack daniels sauce on it, which actually does not taste terrible, but is just weird.

What blows my mind is how Taiwanese people eat the BBQ chicken at the Pizza Hut buffets. It's just... I've never seen people here eat so much of one thing at one time. You'll see otherwise thin and healthy people taking plates and plates and PLATES of that loving BBQ chicken back to their table. I just don't get it. It's okay, it's chicken, but come on. It's something that truly must be witnessed.

I feel so fat and shameful after typing this post.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Okay, so I admit I frequent a pizza hut buffet probably about once a month when I get a craving for pizza. It's actually not THAT bad as far as the pizza is concerned. You're right, they have the weird poo poo that you mentioned, but people seem to go for it. There's usually at least two "safe" ones, almost always a Hawaiian pizza out and usually one that's like beef and bell peppers which ain't band either. Every once in a while they serve up a normal pepperoni or supreme pizza which is like a gift from above. Some of the weird Asian choice are surprisingly okay, but I don't dine on mayo and squid pizza, which you weren't exaggerating on at all. There's also a pizza that literally has french fries and jack daniels sauce on it, which actually does not taste terrible, but is just weird.

What blows my mind is how Taiwanese people eat the BBQ chicken at the Pizza Hut buffets. It's just... I've never seen people here eat so much of one thing at one time. You'll see otherwise thin and healthy people taking plates and plates and PLATES of that loving BBQ chicken back to their table. I just don't get it. It's okay, it's chicken, but come on. It's something that truly must be witnessed.

I feel so fat and shameful after typing this post.
That BBQ chicken is good, that's why.

My work buddies and I are still in mourning over the removal of pepperoni pizza from Costco's menu; it was spot-on, and now there's only pizza hut that has anything resembling a normal pepperoni pizza that I can think of.*
*have to get extra sauce though

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

YF19pilot posted:

whatever that third one is called

Oh man, just wait until you are here long enough to start going crazy and ranking convenience stores

it's called FamilyMart, and it has worse booze but better food, whereas OKmart has the best coffee

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Slowpoke! posted:

If you want to go to a night market around Taipei 101, there is Tongh--

shutupshutupSHUTUP

That is the night market I take my hipster friends who are "SO over the tourist traps" to
Specifically because there are almost no tourists there but it has a good mix of most of the things you'd expect a night market to have.
I MEAN
Tonghua night market is terrible, why would you ever suggest that?

There is an MRT station being built near Raohe, anyone's guess on when THAT will open...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

shutupshutupSHUTUP

That is the night market I take my hipster friends who are "SO over the tourist traps" to
Specifically because there are almost no tourists there but it has a good mix of most of the things you'd expect a night market to have.
I MEAN
Tonghua night market is terrible, why would you ever suggest that?

There is an MRT station being built near Raohe, anyone's guess on when THAT will open...

Come on, I don't think the other night markets will get overrun with quite like Shilin Night Market anytime soon, it'll be fine. I can't remember if it's Raohe or Tonghua, but one of them has the main stand for those black pepper pork buns that are so. loving. good. They have a small shop near Taipei Main Station too.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

hitension posted:

I mostly like Tonghua because its close to the second run theater, and they have a really good Thai iced tea stall.

The MRT near Raohe is part of the green line, and it is supposed to open this year. However the new Red Line opened a full year behind schedule so I don't think I'll ever see the new green line extension. Apparently it'll run from Xindian through Ximen and then east to Songshan. Kind of useless for me, but it'll be good for people to have easier access to Raohe. It is my favorite night market for eating.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The real question Songshan line isn't when it'll open, it's why the gently caress there are two exits for Nanjing East Road facing each other on the same side of the road like 5 meters apart? Like they're literally so close together you could hold a conversation with someone standing in the opposite one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Xinyi-Anhe station has two exits like that too, but one of them is one-way exit-only and the other is just stairs, so it'll probably be set up like that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I had a chocolate sausage at a stand in Tonghua once. There was a picture of Ma Ying Jeou eating it and it said "Ma loves chocolate sausage!"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

All the ones I've popped into haven't had it, though they're mostly small shops, only carrying Coke and sasparilla. Haven't seen a Pepsi yet. Not that I'm desperate for one, just something I've noticed.

Family Mart has Pepsi. As does Dominos Pizza.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man that's something I hadn't thought about. I remember when Tonghua was almost guaranteed to have a couple guys there selling pirated DVDs - like "in cinemas now" pirated - but I don't think I've seen any of that in years.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Family Mart has Pepsi. As does Dominos Pizza.

And if you go to Dominoes enough and are friendly with the people working there they will occasionally throw in a bottle for free!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

I had a chocolate sausage at a stand in Tonghua once. There was a picture of Ma Ying Jeou eating it and it said "Ma loves chocolate sausage!"
I bet he fuckin does.

TetsuoTW posted:

Man that's something I hadn't thought about. I remember when Tonghua was almost guaranteed to have a couple guys there selling pirated DVDs - like "in cinemas now" pirated - but I don't think I've seen any of that in years.
Probably police sweeps getting to be too annoying or maybe cops clamped down more on them during said patrols? Maybe it's an overall thing too; game copy shops have been less prominent over time when they used to be EVERYWHERE and super obvious, and now less so.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Probably police sweeps getting to be too annoying or maybe cops clamped down more on them during said patrols? Maybe it's an overall thing too; game copy shops have been less prominent over time when they used to be EVERYWHERE and super obvious, and now less so.
Honestly I think it's just because it's so much easier to stream anything now, even without your Hus lu and your Nets Flix.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Alright, I'm going to hit Tong Hua tonight, will probably get down there around 7~8. Meant to post earlier but the internet here at the hotel is lovely. Made the rounds earlier today at the Botanical Gardens, then the CKS Memorial Hall, then the 228 Peace Park. Got a picture of the Ministry of Defense, but forgot to swing by and take a picture of the Presidential Office. Lots of photographers at the Gardens and Peace Park. I need to get a proper camera eventually, the color on most of my photos come across kinda washed out, and I'm trying to be careful not to shoot into the sun, or around bright reflections.

Also, first time I've ever seen a "selfie" stick, if that's what it's called. Saw lots of people with them at the CKS Memorial Hall taking photos of themselves in front of things. Like, you can't just take a photo of something, you have to take a photo of yourself in front of that thing. Ergo, the stick; looks like someone else took the photo, no chance of that someone running off with your phone.

quadrophrenic posted:

Oh man, just wait until you are here long enough to start going crazy and ranking convenience stores

it's called FamilyMart, and it has worse booze but better food, whereas OKmart has the best coffee

I think OKmart was the one I was trying to think of. But I have now located the nearest 7-Eleven, FamilyMart, and Watsons. I think the nearest OKmart that I'm aware of is too far away to be as convenient as the other three.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Also, first time I've ever seen a "selfie" stick, if that's what it's called. Saw lots of people with them at the CKS Memorial Hall taking photos of themselves in front of things. Like, you can't just take a photo of something, you have to take a photo of yourself in front of that thing. Ergo, the stick; looks like someone else took the photo, no chance of that someone running off with your phone.

Or you can try different takes, and not rely on random strangers to mess up your photo :eng101:

I'm not a god stick person

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I....... I can dig that selfie stick. It's useful for high angle shots too, and some have a Bluetooth trigger on the handle and it's actually pretty good and portable and like 500nt or something.

I'M ONE OF THEM

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

More like duckface

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Tomorrow is looking to be a down day for me. Back is still aching from yesterday, but using my good shoes certainly helped. May be able to do something in the evening so I can annoy my soon-to-be roommate by waking him up as I come in the door.

I actually did not notice the Hess branch there on the corner of Tonghua the first time I walked past.

And, regarding earlier discussion (and proof I was actually there):

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I got a soft spot for the Hi Marts. they're just so darn *trashy*.

I judge selfie sticks. I judge so hard.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is it still possible to use the rear camera with those sticks? Because that would be good for recording big events and whatnot.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

poetrywhore posted:

I got a soft spot for the Hi Marts. they're just so darn *trashy*.

I judge selfie sticks. I judge so hard.

Actually the Hi Life marts were the ones I was thinking of. They're like holes-in-the-wall to stores that already are holes-in-the-wall. They remind me of those single-pump gas stations where the attendant building is only big enough for five people, yet half the walls are plastered with cigarettes, and they generally carry cheep booze.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Is it still possible to use the rear camera with those sticks? Because that would be good for recording big events and whatnot.

Yup; the Bluetooth ones just act as a shutter trigger, so it doesn't matter if it's using the front or rear camera.

Generally,
7-11 >= Family Mart > Hi-Life > OK Mart > NicoMart(I think they're gone now)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Huh, so apparently OK Mart hasn't been affiliated with Circle K for like seven years.

e: And also Nikomart was apparently bought by FamilyMart in like 2010 and the brand completely killed. Good, Nikomarts were kind of terrible.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 26, 2014

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Generally,
7-11 >= Family Mart > Hi-Life > OK Mart > NicoMart(I think they're gone now)

I agree with the findings of this study, based on my own independent research.

Apparently, Family Mart has colder drinks than 7 Eleven. This matters to some people.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Hey, I'm planning to hit Taipei 101 tomorrow and go up on the observation deck, get some photos for my folks. Anyone got the afternoon free want to meet up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
If you're within the sound of my voice* you're invited to Pingtung tonight. I finally got together all the ingredients I need for deviled eggs. I boiled three dozen last night, but I've invited a rather lot of cats and kinda feel like I ought to score another three on the way home from work today. Gonna do the ArkanSassy proud.

*and don't have a history of verbally abusing me / my friends