Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Man, what a great game. I'm actually enjoying being at war, unlike Civ V. What's the most jack-of-all-trades hero, by the way? I've tried the Druid, the Rogue and the Warlord so far. I tend to go Builder's Hall into Storehouse for buildings, and from then on branch depending on what should I do. Any similar tips for research or unit building?
I'm sorry if I missed it in the in-game encyclopedia, but what's the formula for damage?

Personally, I tend to focus on unlocking class units until I have something I can make a nice early game armies with, and then diversify into empire upgrades and global spells. I tend to leave tactical spells til later, since I can usually win battles without them. The unit I stop on changes by class, but tends to be the last tier 2 unit, so for Rogue I tech to Assassins, for Theocrat Crusaders, and Sorcerer either Phantasm Warrior or Fantastic Creature.

The damage formula is:

Base Damage = Strength +10 -Defense (or Resistance for non-physical damage)

So, a strength 12 physical melee attack versus a unit with defense 9:

12 + 10 - 9 = 13

Then damage resistance is applied, and then a random shift of +-20%.

Azran posted:

Also - I think there SHOULD be a Halfling Dreadnought, but it is bugged somehow? In my last game the same Draconian Dreadnought appeared twice as a selectable leader, so I suppose one of them is meant to be the Halfling one.

Umm, we didn't actually add a Halfling Dreadnaught :shobon: You'll need to make your own in the leader editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Just saw a crazy bug in the new beta version (1.430?) I hosted a multiplayer game and went to pick a custom hero, and the list went on and on for pages and pages repeating the same heroes many times. Sometimes a whole page would be filled with copies of the same hero. Many of these copies did not seem selectable, but I was able to eventually pick out a hero and start the game, which otherwise seems to be working fine.

I thought I was going insane for a minute there though.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Has anyone else noticed that the sorceror spell "age of magic" still says it increases your casting points by 50, whereas what it ACTUALLY does is halves the casting cost of all spells (including hero spells in tactical combat).

quote:

Umm, we didn't actually add a Halfling Dreadnaught You'll need to make your own in the leader editor.

But there is a halfling dreadnought hero - the one who arrives in the first scenario with some party robots?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lobsterpillar posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the sorceror spell "age of magic" still says it increases your casting points by 50, whereas what it ACTUALLY does is halves the casting cost of all spells (including hero spells in tactical combat).

It does both those things. Or at least it did before 1.4/Golden Realms. Does it no longer increase your CP by 50?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got my poo poo wrecked attacking an AI leader who was a level 8 sorcerer. He had 115 casting points (!) and cast Mass Curse, Static Electricity (holy poo poo is this OP), then spammed cosmic spray. Ouch. I reloaded and tried again, managing to blind the leader, after which he didn't cast Static Electricity for some reason. Only then did my larger army of mostly wimpy tier I units get to whittle away his better units. Now we're stuck piling up units at a chokepoint, although the campaign AI doesn't seem to be very clever. He could probably cleave through my army with his higher quality units and kickass leader spells, but he's sititng around defending a city instead.

Azran posted:

Man, what a great game. I'm actually enjoying being at war, unlike Civ V.

Well yeah the war is great, and I hope you enjoy it because there's really not much in the way of diplomacy or empire building to be done. Although I was surprised to see that an AI I beat down in the early game actually surrendered to me, giving up all of his units and putting me way over the hero limit. Unfortunately, his heroes were mostly terribly optimized and have been dying away in combat.

I'm not sure I really like the hero progression. It feels like they get outclassed by the tier III/IV units, especially since experienced non-hero units can get pretty high HP/defense/attack buffs. You can put hero points into basic stats too, but then they're not really all that useful. You can also keep them heroes back as much as possible and just use them to cast spells and/or provide passive leader buffs to the army, but then they're not that exciting anymore. It's also not that easy to protect your squishy units as the higher tier units get faster and stronger. The semi-random placement of units at the start of the battle - especially with multiple armies - makes it hard to set up a defensive wall or any kind of formation. Don't get me wrong, the tactical combat is great, but it is a lot more like X-COM/D&D4e than Total War.

I kind of liked the way units progressed in Civ IV's FFH mod better. For magic it was really important to gather different types of mana on the map so your units could learn new spells. Some of the non-magic units like assassins were pretty badass too. The AoW AI has a better grasp on how to use magic, but then as the game progresses, many of the lower-level abilities don't scale up and you have to keep researching new ones to keep your heroes useful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

eXXon posted:

I got my poo poo wrecked attacking an AI leader who was a level 8 sorcerer. He had 115 casting points (!) and cast Mass Curse, Static Electricity (holy poo poo is this OP), then spammed cosmic spray. Ouch. I reloaded and tried again, managing to blind the leader, after which he didn't cast Static Electricity for some reason. Only then did my larger army of mostly wimpy tier I units get to whittle away his better units. Now we're stuck piling up units at a chokepoint, although the campaign AI doesn't seem to be very clever. He could probably cleave through my army with his higher quality units and kickass leader spells, but he's sititng around defending a city instead.

Well yeah the war is great, and I hope you enjoy it because there's really not much in the way of diplomacy or empire building to be done. Although I was surprised to see that an AI I beat down in the early game actually surrendered to me, giving up all of his units and putting me way over the hero limit. Unfortunately, his heroes were mostly terribly optimized and have been dying away in combat.

I'm not sure I really like the hero progression. It feels like they get outclassed by the tier III/IV units, especially since experienced non-hero units can get pretty high HP/defense/attack buffs. You can put hero points into basic stats too, but then they're not really all that useful. You can also keep them heroes back as much as possible and just use them to cast spells and/or provide passive leader buffs to the army, but then they're not that exciting anymore. It's also not that easy to protect your squishy units as the higher tier units get faster and stronger. The semi-random placement of units at the start of the battle - especially with multiple armies - makes it hard to set up a defensive wall or any kind of formation. Don't get me wrong, the tactical combat is great, but it is a lot more like X-COM/D&D4e than Total War.

I kind of liked the way units progressed in Civ IV's FFH mod better. For magic it was really important to gather different types of mana on the map so your units could learn new spells. Some of the non-magic units like assassins were pretty badass too. The AoW AI has a better grasp on how to use magic, but then as the game progresses, many of the lower-level abilities don't scale up and you have to keep researching new ones to keep your heroes useful.

See, I don't think this is really true. Forging is stupidly cheap, and items are pretty common anyways. Investing in stats can make your heroes absolute monsters in combat.

I've had Warlord heroes with a normal defense of 20 and four channels of elemental attacks at level 5. She murdered literally everything, it was amazing.

The only thing heroes tend to fall behind in is HP because upgrading your HP gets stupidly expensive quickly (especially for Goblin heroes).

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

eXXon posted:

I reloaded and tried again, managing to blind the leader, after which he didn't cast Static Electricity for some reason.

Blind prevents all spellcasting, not just ranged or targeted spells.

Zore posted:

See, I don't think this is really true. Forging is stupidly cheap, and items are pretty common anyways. Investing in stats can make your heroes absolute monsters in combat.

I've had Warlord heroes with a normal defense of 20 and four channels of elemental attacks at level 5. She murdered literally everything, it was amazing.

The only thing heroes tend to fall behind in is HP because upgrading your HP gets stupidly expensive quickly (especially for Goblin heroes).

I dunno I think he's pretty spot on. I never get a chance to play around with the Item Forge when playing against Emperor AIs, spending 15+ turns making the Item Forge itself and then churning out items would be a death sentence. I need units and I need them fast. Heroes are just walking spell and aura platforms for me.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, Heroes can get ridiculously strong they just need gear. I've built Dread heroes with 20 Def and 80% Physical Protection and Sorc Heroes who effortlessly stun-lock Tier 4 units by forcing 5-6 status effect checks with every attack.

I have to admit it's been a long time since I tooled around with the Item Forge, I know it get hella buffed in Golden Realms. Outside that, well, the map is littered with treasure sites for a reason. You should pretty much always have your heroes loot questing when they don't have anything more urgent to take care of.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Since we're talking strategy how should one approach playing as Goblins or Halflings? Their units are individually weak and I always find myself trying to avoid relying on their racial units (including racial class units). Since almost every unit has a niche now I never feel they're useless, but they do seem... not ideal. I strongly suspect this is just me not knowing how to use them though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mosquito darters are amazing at taking out fortified enemies.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Since we're talking strategy how should one approach playing as Goblins or Halflings? Their units are individually weak and I always find myself trying to avoid relying on their racial units (including racial class units). Since almost every unit has a niche now I never feel they're useless, but they do seem... not ideal. I strongly suspect this is just me not knowing how to use them though.

Halflings are about two things, maximizing morale and avoiding melee brawls. It's hard to believe it if you haven't been on the receiving end, but Halflings with 500+ Morale are assholes. I'm talking Eagle Riders who crit like 75% of the time while evading a math denying number of attacks. Happiness is not purely a defensive stat, and Halflings units are all glass cannons by design.

Boosting morale to that level requires more then just bringing a support unit or two, you need to pay careful attention to terrain, empire happiness, spells, whatever you have.

On an empire building level, Halflings are really, really good on defense. Their cities tend to be rolling in happiness by default, and their range heavy armies are murder in garrisons. Happy cities directly boost their economy and kinda lean Halflings toward a more turtling playstyle then you might be used to. Going on the offensive usually means stepping into icky terrain that wrecks morale and their awesome skirmisher units are kinda terrible at offensive sieges, so it needs to be done carefully.

In terms of tactical combat, the goal is pretty much don't get hit. Lots of range units and flanking and dazzles, and realistically this means you need to try for a man advantage as much as possible. Halfling melee units are only meant to be used for flanking attacks, not frontal assaults. Outnumbered halflings are usually dead Halflings because they can't even dream of tanking.

Halflings are hard, basically, and everyone is still experimenting with them but the key thing to remember is that the highs are very high indeed.

Goblins are...interesting. I'm not sure how to sum up approaching them, honestly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gerblyn posted:

Personally, I tend to focus on unlocking class units until I have something I can make a nice early game armies with, and then diversify into empire upgrades and global spells. I tend to leave tactical spells til later, since I can usually win battles without them. The unit I stop on changes by class, but tends to be the last tier 2 unit, so for Rogue I tech to Assassins, for Theocrat Crusaders, and Sorcerer either Phantasm Warrior or Fantastic Creature.

The damage formula is:

Base Damage = Strength +10 -Defense (or Resistance for non-physical damage)

So, a strength 12 physical melee attack versus a unit with defense 9:

12 + 10 - 9 = 13

Then damage resistance is applied, and then a random shift of +-20%.

Umm, we didn't actually add a Halfling Dreadnaught :shobon: You'll need to make your own in the leader editor.

Alright, that clears it up. Thanks!

Also thanks for the hero summary - I was mostly thinking about leaders, but keep forgetting they are different things. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 23, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Do goblin heroes cost less than others? Do you start with extra gold as a goblin? I know they certainly apply the -5hp which always made me shy away from goblin leaders, even though they look amazing.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

madmac posted:

Halflings are about two things, maximizing morale and avoiding melee brawls. It's hard to believe it if you haven't been on the receiving end, but Halflings with 500+ Morale are assholes. I'm talking Eagle Riders who crit like 75% of the time while evading a math denying number of attacks. Happiness is not purely a defensive stat, and Halflings units are all glass cannons by design.

Boosting morale to that level requires more then just bringing a support unit or two, you need to pay careful attention to terrain, empire happiness, spells, whatever you have.

On an empire building level, Halflings are really, really good on defense. Their cities tend to be rolling in happiness by default, and their range heavy armies are murder in garrisons. Happy cities directly boost their economy and kinda lean Halflings toward a more turtling playstyle then you might be used to. Going on the offensive usually means stepping into icky terrain that wrecks morale and their awesome skirmisher units are kinda terrible at offensive sieges, so it needs to be done carefully.

In terms of tactical combat, the goal is pretty much don't get hit. Lots of range units and flanking and dazzles, and realistically this means you need to try for a man advantage as much as possible. Halfling melee units are only meant to be used for flanking attacks, not frontal assaults. Outnumbered halflings are usually dead Halflings because they can't even dream of tanking.

Halflings are hard, basically, and everyone is still experimenting with them but the key thing to remember is that the highs are very high indeed.

Goblins are...interesting. I'm not sure how to sum up approaching them, honestly.

Yeah.. I'm partway through the second campaign mission now, and somehow I've found myself pretty much just spamming a million halfling adventurers, as they're a surprisingly powerful archer with a whole lot of really good slayers that let them oftentimes slay even tier 4 enemies with minimal casualties if used right (which more often than not have the 'monster' tag), and a 6stack in a stone walled city can defend against a multiple-stack army in many cases. My main issue is wallbusting as eagle riders take a lot of work to get going, so I overrely on heroes to slam down the doors, murder a bunch of people, and die while the rest of my units clean up whatever's left, with all the heroes popping back up after because of resurgence. I abused hero resurgence and the party golems so much that my strategy wouldn't work in random maps.

Jester is a very good unit, but I find myself loathe to ever make pony riders/farmers/nightwatch, as they involve melee with a fragile halfling, which in turns makes jesters not very useful for me, as dazzling an enemy doesn't do anything to help out adventurer spam and they seem more fragile and prone to friendly fire than adventurers to be used as your main ranged attacker. However, those party golems were godlike and I wish I could make more of them - High armored jesters with heals, powerful melee and wallsmashing practically won the map for me as I carefully kept them alive all throughout.

I do feel like I should give their other units more of a try, as i'm sure pony riders and farmers can be used with a bit of work, as repeatedly stabbing an enemy that can't retaliate could probably allow them to kill unusually dangerous things - I didn't try enough of the warlord halfling stuff, too - Once I got halfling mounted archers producable 1/turn in a city with a bonus to mounted units structure and bonus to archers structure, I pretty much just pumped out shittons of those.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I wasn't feeling Ponies at first, but they really do pair perfectly with Jesters. Get your dazzles off, then stomp with ponies. For all their other shortcomings, beating up a defenseless target is something Ponies can more then handle for you.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I was always a city founding off player, but after hearing that the AI might function better with it on I've started to play with it. All of my habits and strategies feel messed up now that I need to fit settlers in and I'm having trouble finding a rhythm that stops me from hitting stumbling blocks above Lord. Anyone want to chime in on optimal expansion strats for King+? Do you city spam? Do you only build cities with a certain number of treasure sites in the radius?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

madmac posted:

Effectively Halflings are a massive callback to Age of Wonders 2/Shadow Magic mechaniics. Which also serves to show WHY they changed it to straight damage this time about. I've been trying to play Shadow Magic lately. And I remember how painful it was to watch miss after miss when it matters most.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kanos posted:

I was always a city founding off player, but after hearing that the AI might function better with it on I've started to play with it. All of my habits and strategies feel messed up now that I need to fit settlers in and I'm having trouble finding a rhythm that stops me from hitting stumbling blocks above Lord. Anyone want to chime in on optimal expansion strats for King+? Do you city spam? Do you only build cities with a certain number of treasure sites in the radius?

I've found that it really depends on your difficulty, class, and what other settings are set. If you have neutral towns on the map you can often get away with no settlers for a long time as you conquer or buy those to fuel your expansion. If you have an opponent near you that you can bumrush that both takes out a threat and gives you more resources. If you take crappy small towns but don't have any defensive troops to spare because you need to be somewhere else fast, plundering denies them to anyone else and gives you a nice resource boost. Remember that once you knock out someone's capital + leader, all their other towns go neutral and you can then pick them up at your leisure. This makes early scouting (and scout denial) especially crucial so you can try to get in a precision strike and take them out. If you are fighting an AI with a resource bonus then getting into a slow attrition slog is going to play to the AI's strengths.

Even against good human players if you can blind their scouts you can either cut off their head or force them to hole up in a defended town mashing the end turn button while you expand.

So as far as settlers go keep an eye out for key resources and rich areas in favorable terrain. Settle those when there isn't a ton of pressure on you, either when other players are fighting each other or you have just taken out the biggest nearby threat. Don't feel the need to play simcity too much as it will slow your aggression. It is almost always better to steal another player's city than to slowly build your own from scratch, and this is especially true when playing the AI as it will have the free resources to spam settlers and build up armies at the same time. You don't have the free resources to be able to beat it at it's own game of city founding, you have to murder and pillage and conquer those expansions it will dump out if you want to even the odds.

If you can seal off an area behind your lines and be reasonably sure no one is going to slip through, any rich areas back there become prime settlement spots.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Carnalfex posted:

Do goblin heroes cost less than others? Do you start with extra gold as a goblin? I know they certainly apply the -5hp which always made me shy away from goblin leaders, even though they look amazing.

Nope, Goblin heroes and leaders are just a worse deal.

You really should give Goblins a go though, in single player their main weakness isn't really that noticeable. It's only in multiplayer that the -5hp really starts to bite you in the rear end, because autocombat will probably lose you a lot of troops in the early game. Once you get to the mid game, the 10% unit discount more than makes up for the hp penalty in higher tier units though.

Goblin Tips:

1) Go Destruction Master and rush to Blight Empire, turn the world into a dead wasteland which pisses everyone off except goblins. Alternately, go Water Master and use Drench The Land everywhere to slow down enemies and boost unit healing.
2) Goblin Scoundrels get Swamp concealment, while the Assassins get that and Blight concealment, so doing the above with a rogue lets you have armies that are invisible almost anywhere.
3) Untouchables reduce an enemy's resistance by 1 just by standing next to them, they can also proc noxious vulnerability with their attacks for another -2 resistance. This equates to +3 damage per swarm darter shot (or +9 damage per apprentice shot). Blight Doctor's weakness ability is very good as well, and makes destroying tough enemies much easier.
4) Goblin T1 infantry and pikemen cost 40 gold each, which is cheaper than other races irregulars. Usually I just send them forward to clog up enemy lines while the swarm darters kill everything.

The only real problem I have when playing goblins is dealing with the Undead. Their blight immunity means that most of the goblin tricks just don't work on them. Usually I just resort to using magic, or hoping I get a Theocrat hero to come and help.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 24, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

2) Goblin Scoundrels get Swamp concealment, while the Assassins get that and Blight concealment, so doing the above with a rogue lets you have armies that are invisible almost anywhere.

Speaking of concealment/invisibility - how does the AI deal with it? I never actually use it or seek it out because of the general tendency for invisibility/concealment spells to usually work poorly or not at all against AI in 4x games.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Wolpertinger posted:

Speaking of concealment/invisibility - how does the AI deal with it? I never actually use it or seek it out because of the general tendency for invisibility/concealment spells to usually work poorly or not at all against AI in 4x games.

Generally, the AI won't attack stacks it cannot see. It is aware of them, so it takes them into account when deciding things like "Where is it safe to walk?" and "How many units do I need to defend this area?", but it will leave the armies themselves alone.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah.. I'm partway through the second campaign mission now, and somehow I've found myself pretty much just spamming a million halfling adventurers, as they're a surprisingly powerful archer with a whole lot of really good slayers that let them oftentimes slay even tier 4 enemies with minimal casualties if used right (which more often than not have the 'monster' tag), and a 6stack in a stone walled city can defend against a multiple-stack army in many cases. My main issue is wallbusting as eagle riders take a lot of work to get going, so I overrely on heroes to slam down the doors, murder a bunch of people, and die while the rest of my units clean up whatever's left, with all the heroes popping back up after because of resurgence. I abused hero resurgence and the party golems so much that my strategy wouldn't work in random maps.

Jester is a very good unit, but I find myself loathe to ever make pony riders/farmers/nightwatch, as they involve melee with a fragile halfling, which in turns makes jesters not very useful for me, as dazzling an enemy doesn't do anything to help out adventurer spam and they seem more fragile and prone to friendly fire than adventurers to be used as your main ranged attacker. However, those party golems were godlike and I wish I could make more of them - High armored jesters with heals, powerful melee and wallsmashing practically won the map for me as I carefully kept them alive all throughout.

I do feel like I should give their other units more of a try, as i'm sure pony riders and farmers can be used with a bit of work, as repeatedly stabbing an enemy that can't retaliate could probably allow them to kill unusually dangerous things - I didn't try enough of the warlord halfling stuff, too - Once I got halfling mounted archers producable 1/turn in a city with a bonus to mounted units structure and bonus to archers structure, I pretty much just pumped out shittons of those.

I haven't made heavy use of Farmers yet but Nightwatch can be excellent and punch well above their weight. Since they get Backstab with veterancy, if you can pair them off with a semi-reliably disable like Sorcerer Apprentice stuns or Archdruid Shaman entangles, they can just get massive backstab damage all day since any direction of attack counts as flanking.

The urban concealment is a neat trick too. I like them a lot more than most tier 1 infantry.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Goblins:

-All your good units do blight damage (except Warg Riders), so maximize your output here. Untouchables and Blight Doctors can lower resistance. Pick on orcs and elves if you can, dwarves and goblins less so. If you're up against machines and undead, you should produce more class units (cheaper!) or take an orc city or something.
-Goblins cities get bonus population and are perfectly happy underground or in blight, where you won't see much competition. Settle more liberally than you would with other races.
-Untouchables make units unhappy when in melee range and have a chance of making units weak against blight. They also get tunnelling, so you can expand underground from the get-go. They shouldn't be the backbone of your army, but they synergize better than most skirmishers.
-Marauders get cave concealment which is pretty neat, but otherwise they and Skewers are just cannon fodder. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, since they're really cheap, and get Volunteer on Veteran, cutting maintenance in half as well. Skewers do get Armor Piercing, giving a bit of an edge against dwarves.
-Swarm Darters are insanely good; easily the best tier 1 unit. They don't get any of the ranged attack penalties. Use them against anything that does not resist blight. They're also super cheap, so put them in your garrisons. Use them in sieges. Use them anywhere in between.
-Inflict Weakness can't be resisted. Blight Doctors are mostly there to make other units do more damage, unless you've got a Theocrat or Sorcerer behind them.
-Warg Riders, in spite of my original post, get no movement penalties outside of mountains, and the Overwhelm ability. They're excellent scouts and good against shield infantry. Overwhelm helps against pikemen, but pikemen are the kind of thing your Swarm Darters should be murdering.
-Beetle Riders are fairly tanky, and immune to blight. They also get Wall Crushing and Tunnelling. They can't take on Knights or Firstborn in a one-on-one, but that leads to the most important rule about goblins:
-Always outnumber the enemy. :getin:

Goblin Theocrat 4 lyfe

EDIT: Fleshed out a bit.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 24, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Warg Riders are actually quite nice, they're the cheapest and most mobile cav, since they get Forestry, Cave Crawling, and Wetlands Walking all on one unit. Overwhelm gets them a nice bonus vs shield infantry and pikes, something most Cav don't get at all.

Also, you can't talk about Goblins and not mention Volunteer. Most Goblin racial units get Volunteer at Veteran, cutting their upkeep in half compared to other units. Spam spam away with Goblins.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

I haven't made heavy use of Farmers yet but Nightwatch can be excellent and punch well above their weight. Since they get Backstab with veterancy, if you can pair them off with a semi-reliably disable like Sorcerer Apprentice stuns or Archdruid Shaman entangles, they can just get massive backstab damage all day since any direction of attack counts as flanking.

Dazzled also helps with this as they can safely get around the unit to backstab.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So just as a quick question but are the Dwarves still as good as I remember them being? I remember the first born (once they got up to Gold rank) being essentially unkillable death machines, does that still hold true?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

madmac posted:

Warg Riders are actually quite nice, they're the cheapest and most mobile cav, since they get Forestry, Cave Crawling, and Wetlands Walking all on one unit. Overwhelm gets them a nice bonus vs shield infantry and pikes, something most Cav don't get at all.

Also, you can't talk about Goblins and not mention Volunteer. Most Goblin racial units get Volunteer at Veteran, cutting their upkeep in half compared to other units. Spam spam away with Goblins.

Oh yeah, Volunteer is also a thing, but by the time it becomes relevant I tend to rely on class units. I can see I've been underestimating Warg Riders, though!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 24, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

So just as a quick question but are the Dwarves still as good as I remember them being? I remember the first born (once they got up to Gold rank) being essentially unkillable death machines, does that still hold true?

Firstborn got nerfed a bit, first by taking away their Spirit Immunity and the latest patch reducing their damage. They're still good, but with all the buffs to other races Dwarves aren't the obvious choice anymore.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

See I was playing as a dwarf theocrat and I remember my armies just chewing up and spitting out what was thrown at me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

See I was playing as a dwarf theocrat and I remember my armies just chewing up and spitting out what was thrown at me.

We reduced the damage of first born, since having a T3 with both highest offense and highest defense seemed a bit much. We also reduced the defense of the forge priest and upped it's price a bit. Otherwise, Dwarves are about the same. They still have the best units in general, and they're still the most expensive.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

We reduced the damage of first born, since having a T3 with both highest offense and highest defense seemed a bit much. We also reduced the defense of the forge priest and upped it's price a bit. Otherwise, Dwarves are about the same. They still have the best units in general, and they're still the most expensive.

That is fine by me, I like playing with a lot of high quality troops.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

You really should give Goblins a go though, in single player their main weakness isn't really that noticeable. It's only in multiplayer that the -5hp really starts to bite you in the rear end, because autocombat will probably lose you a lot of troops in the early game.

Thanks for the tips!

I would give a leg to be able to manual battle in multiplayer without games taking ten years, though. Seriously, I would buy the game again as a director's cut version or whatever many times over.

Going to try some ravenous goblin horde tactics!

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
The only fix I can think of is to make each battle last multiple turns, so that each side takes one turn on the tactical map per turn on the strategic map. Now obviously this would be such a big change that it would never happen in AoW3. Turn counts would soar, but everything could be adjusted accordingly. The result is that the bulk of the fighting takes place simultaneously at the beginning of each turn, and any new battles only take up one tactical turn of everyone's time.

It'd be pretty cool IMO. You could get reinforcements to a battle already taking place, and it would reward quick victories which brings another composition factor to the table. Now that assassin stack that wins or loses in a few turns is suddenly a little scarier. That cavalry unit has a better chance of getting to a battle before it's over too. It could result in some pretty epic battles where each side keeps pouring reinforcements into the fray.

Like I said though, not gona happen.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Goblin Theocrat is one of my favourite combinations just for how ludicrous it is and also because the bonuses go really well together.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Man, Naga dwelling really is the best dwelling. There isn't a single thing you can build there that isn't awesome. Putting together Naga raiding squads, all with swimming and fast regen and really tough in combat is so satisfying. Matrons might be my new favorite support unit too, at least once they hit gold and get Call Lightning. Naga are amazing.

Oh, and Gluttons are terrifying to fight sometimes. During the second Halfling Campaign I had one taunt my ~120 HP literally invincible Shadow Stalker and all I could think was, "Whelp, this is where we all die." It's a well designed Tier 4, has an obvious weakness (Slow and low defense, shoot it!) but can still trip you up with Taunt and Gas Breath and ordering a frontal attack against the thing feels exactly like you're just feeding it and making it stronger, because probably you are.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Carnalfex posted:

Thanks for the tips!

I would give a leg to be able to manual battle in multiplayer without games taking ten years, though. Seriously, I would buy the game again as a director's cut version or whatever many times over.

Going to try some ravenous goblin horde tactics!

I'm fine with games taking ten years in this genre. I don't mind saving the game and continuing at a later date. If anything that let's you think on your strategy a bit.

It's just a matter of how convenient these ten years are. The crux is that there are many interruptions in the games flow so even playing PBEM isn't optimal. But that would raise the question whether you would want combat and strategic turns to be equal. It would require potentially a lot of micromanagement and throw off the timing of empire building. It would allow you to affect the battle from the outside by sending reinforcements, casting spells or whatever. You'd have to accomodate for it by allowing surprise attacks and ambushes to still happen without turning every battle into a battle of attrition.

At first glance it's a pretty daunting prospect, but afaik it simply hasn't been done before. I definitely would like to play a game like that.

edit:

madmac posted:

Man, Naga dwelling really is the best dwelling. There isn't a single thing you can build there that isn't awesome. Putting together Naga raiding squads, all with swimming and fast regen and really tough in combat is so satisfying. Matrons might be my new favorite support unit too, at least once they hit gold and get Call Lightning. Naga are amazing.

Oh, and Gluttons are terrifying to fight sometimes. During the second Halfling Campaign I had one taunt my ~120 HP literally invincible Shadow Stalker and all I could think was, "Whelp, this is where we all die." It's a well designed Tier 4, has an obvious weakness (Slow and low defense, shoot it!) but can still trip you up with Taunt and Gas Breath and ordering a frontal attack against the thing feels exactly like you're just feeding it and making it stronger, because probably you are.

Good to hear Gluttons are in the campaign. Fighting endless waves of Gluttons and Black Knights with nothing but hordes of tier 1 shooters and a couple of druids was easily the most fun and memorable part of the Shadow Magic campaign for me.

a!n fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 24, 2014

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
drat, just lost a game for the first time. Playing a Halfling dreadnought (great synergy with suppress nature) neighboring warlord declared on me. I repulsed the first stack she sent at my capital (!) but then pulled the garrison away to attack a seal. Cap was sniped by a second stack and my leader died in some ancient ruins as I was heading back.

Sloppy play all around on my part granted, but I guess I'm used to getting away with that.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Because Triumph never sleeps, a new dev journal is up, discussing concepts for a Necromancer Class.

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-necromancer-class-design/

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

madmac posted:

Because Triumph never sleeps, a new dev journal is up, discussing concepts for a Necromancer Class.

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-necromancer-class-design/

Last expansion? Say it isn't so Triumph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

a!n posted:

I'm fine with games taking ten years in this genre. I don't mind saving the game and continuing at a later date. If anything that let's you think on your strategy a bit.

It's just a matter of how convenient these ten years are. The crux is that there are many interruptions in the games flow so even playing PBEM isn't optimal. But that would raise the question whether you would want combat and strategic turns to be equal. It would require potentially a lot of micromanagement and throw off the timing of empire building. It would allow you to affect the battle from the outside by sending reinforcements, casting spells or whatever. You'd have to accomodate for it by allowing surprise attacks and ambushes to still happen without turning every battle into a battle of attrition.

At first glance it's a pretty daunting prospect, but afaik it simply hasn't been done before. I definitely would like to play a game like that.

There is a lot that could be done with it, but the basic premise is not that complicated (in concept, at least).

Right now, the game says Combat? Trigger a pause to stop other people from issuing commands while it is resolved, then apply those results to the strategic layer once it is complete. Unpause.

Change this to: Combat? Instead of pausing other players from issuing commands, only prevent them from interacting with the players that are busy in combat. This includes attacking them, strategic nuke spells on units in the fight, or attacking allied units next to them as it would also put them into combat (would be hard to have one person in two combats at the same time). A blanket "No, wait your turn" popup for any actions involving the fighting players would do it. You could even add the names or symbols of the players involved to the "manual combat in progress" notification at the top right so people know not to bother them. Once combat is over, apply the results to the strategic layer, and remove the restriction on interacting with those players.

End result? Game flows the same as current simultaneous turns, but allows for people to keep playing. Turns go much faster, manual combat is now viable in multiplayer, and everyone enjoys themselves. Birds sing, rainbows fill the sky, and there is joy across the land. This method would potentially even allow multiple combats at once, in theory, as long as they had different participants. Since most fights are just beating up neutral guards with only a couple big fights against another player to kill their leader and take their stronghold, this would be a huge improvement to the speed and convenience of games.

Multiplayer could still use a lot of other kinds of love, like a decent way to find people and get games going from within the game itself, but those are other issues.

Necro confirmed! Heck yeah! Although....the dev journal does say it will likely be the last expansion. That kinda sucks.

Gerblyn, is the game not making money? I'm not sure if you can talk about that, but I would think the studio wouldn't even bother with expansions if that was the case. I suppose everyone that was going to buy the game has done so at this point, at least for single player. The only way to really reach additional players (who would also be interested in any dlc) would be opening it to new players. I know a mac port is already being done, but honestly multiplayer might as well be considered as a new platform at this point. There are plenty of comments all over about people waiting to get this until it supports play by email or has more quality of life stuff (lobbies, matchmaking, viable manual combat).

On the flipside, perhaps they are doing a big remake/sequel like they did with shadowmagic, and that is the reason they aren't spending more time expanding this. That would certainly be great news.

• Locked thread