Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't set static IPs on your printers, use DHCP reservations instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Isn't that what static dhcp allocations are great for?

E: sonuva

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I called in sick today because the lurgy has gotten the better of me, the lady that picked up informed me "the kitchen has been flooded and some of it seeped in the nearby computer (server) room".

On the floor stands the UPS box, a machine which powers a wallboard, a boxed fuser, box of ethernet cables, loose HDMI over ethernet kit; I can tell the server isn't dead, but it's going to be a blast getting back into the office :q:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't set static IPs on your printers, use DHCP reservations instead.

These are very small offices, not on the vpn, and there's around 200 of them. They get one router, one printer, one computer. All printers get the same IP address on the 192.168.x.x range so we can standardise the computers with just a few printers installed and anyone can print from any office. It worked pretty well with the HPs that never lost their address.
Bonus stupidity on our side: using the same address for the HP and Epsons, so users would send to the wrong printer and find dozens of pages of gibberish coming out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
On the router you can set it so the printer always receives the same IP via dhcp. You don't have to mess with the printer.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

On the router you can set it so the printer always receives the same IP via dhcp. You don't have to mess with the printer.

This would probably cause as much annoyance as it solves. Our routers pick up their settings from a template during a hard reset, but sometimes refuse to take it and go to factory settings instead. We then have to set them manually, but short term the users can connect with the default SSID and still print because the settings are on the printer.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Why are you dealing with a network printer if there is only one computer? Hook that poo poo up via USB and tell the office clowns to call their 7 year olds if they have trouble.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I know the ignorance of users is low hanging fruit in this thread, but I'm getting kinda tired of hearing from them "I spilled water on my phone and now it's not working. Do you know anything about it? Is this a common problem? It was just a little splash of water and not a big one, does that help? Is there anything you can try? Is there anything you can do?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

evobatman posted:

I know the ignorance of users is low hanging fruit in this thread, but I'm getting kinda tired of hearing from them "I spilled water on my phone and now it's not working. Do you know anything about it? Is this a common problem? It was just a little splash of water and not a big one, does that help? Is there anything you can try? Is there anything you can do?"

At least they're being honest about spilling water on their phones.

I don't know it just suddenly stopped working one day I don't know what's wrong? No I don't know why water is dripping out of it I didn't submerge it...

...do you have any of those new iPhones in yet?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evobatman posted:

"Is there anything you can do like buy a new Iphone?"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jim truds posted:

"Is there anything you can do like buy a new Iphone?"

Once I got asked if I could recommend a more expensive laptop to my boss when we were buying some new ones (guy was getting his old one replaced) over a slightly shittier one. They did this while sliding over some booze.

Of course I loving recommended the more expensive one. I'm not above a bribe.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

At least they're being honest about spilling water on their phones.

I don't know it just suddenly stopped working one day I don't know what's wrong? No I don't know why water is dripping out of it I didn't submerge it...

...do you have any of those new iPhones in yet?
"What's a moisture indicator?"

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Why are you dealing with a network printer if there is only one computer? Hook that poo poo up via USB and tell the office clowns to call their 7 year olds if they have trouble.

I oversimplified; it used to be one laptop was issued to each site, but that was terrible because no one took responsibility for it so now it's issued to the managers (who may manage multiple sites) and area managers (who manage many), plus people get transferred between sites frequently.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in!
User dropped his phone...... under his lawnmower.......

I'm not the phone guy so it was pretty funny seeing the user bring in a grocery sack of phone pieces.

Normally I would blame a user for doing dumb things on purpose to get a better phone but this guy would probably be equally happy with either an iPhone 6 or a Jitterbug. I just don't know why you'd have you phone with you on the mower.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

n3rdal3rt posted:

A ticket came in!
User dropped his phone...... under his lawnmower.......

I'm not the phone guy so it was pretty funny seeing the user bring in a grocery sack of phone pieces.

Normally I would blame a user for doing dumb things on purpose to get a better phone but this guy would probably be equally happy with either an iPhone 6 or a Jitterbug. I just don't know why you'd have you phone with you on the mower.

Having had a lawn that took more than 3 hours to mow, I can understand why.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

the same reason why riding mowers come with cup holders

stevewm
May 10, 2005

go3 posted:

Brothers go in warehouses or other lovely environments

Some of ours are used in very dusty/dirty stores (commercial lumber yards). For the units in that environment I don't expect a very long life out of them, but I at least expect the fuser to last longer than a toner cartridge.

Even the ones in the nice clean offices died the same way.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

n3rdal3rt posted:

I just don't know why you'd have you phone with you on the mower.
:cmon:

Listening to music? Listening to a webinar? Texting while mowing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stevewm posted:

Some of ours are used in very dusty/dirty stores (commercial lumber yards). For the units in that environment I don't expect a very long life out of them, but I at least expect the fuser to last longer than a toner cartridge.

Even the ones in the nice clean offices died the same way.

That's a shame. When I was just a wage-slave at Staples I always tried to steer folks toward Brothers because they were the only printers left that didn't gently caress your computer to death with driver bloat that required dual-layer DVDs to install. Brother only moved to putting their drivers on CD when computers stopped coming with floppy drives.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

KoRMaK posted:

:cmon:

Listening to music? Listening to a webinar? Texting while mowing?

Knowing this thread the guy was clearly dialing into a conference call, on speaker of course. He also had nothing to add but the dull drone of his ride on mower for 3 hours.

P.S. Whats mute?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bitterandtwisted posted:

This would probably cause as much annoyance as it solves. Our routers pick up their settings from a template during a hard reset, but sometimes refuse to take it and go to factory settings instead. We then have to set them manually, but short term the users can connect with the default SSID and still print because the settings are on the printer.

You could do both maybe. Have the printer give itself an IP but also set up static DHCP on the router. Then if the router messes up, the printer still has its IP. If the printer messes up and goes to default settings, the router will give it the right IP.

Also, if you regularly have to hard reset a router, you need a new router. If it's a consumer router, maybe you'll have to reboot it every once in a while. If it's an enterprise router it should run perfectly for all time.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 24, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Because of an exclusive contract we're stuck only being able to buy Samsung printers. They have frequent networking issues, flimsy trays, and if you ship them with the toner cartridge installed it spills everywhere. And because of contract shenanigans a new printer with included toner cartridge is about $20 cheaper than the replacement toner. It would literally be cheaper for us to replace the printer when the toner ran out than to buy the replacement toner.

Not to mention the bunch another unit bought to use with mainframe printing because the vendor assured them they supported that, only to find after they got here that what the vendor meant is they support mainframe printing as long as you have something intermediary converting the mainframe traffic to regular IP-based traffic first.

State contracts everybody.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Had a user once tell me we broke his MacBook by putting Exchange on it (installing Outlook and disabling Eudora) telling us "I drop and spill coffee on this all the time! Always worked before!"

Fast forward a few days later when he calls in from the Apple store asking if we have a corporate discount because they found water damage.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Knormal posted:

Because of an exclusive contract we're stuck only being able to buy Samsung printers. They have frequent networking issues, flimsy trays, and if you ship them with the toner cartridge installed it spills everywhere. And because of contract shenanigans a new printer with included toner cartridge is about $20 cheaper than the replacement toner. It would literally be cheaper for us to replace the printer when the toner ran out than to buy the replacement toner.

Not to mention the bunch another unit bought to use with mainframe printing because the vendor assured them they supported that, only to find after they got here that what the vendor meant is they support mainframe printing as long as you have something intermediary converting the mainframe traffic to regular IP-based traffic first.

State contracts everybody.

Printers often ship with a starter toner cartridge which has less prints than a replacement.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Demonachizer posted:

Printers often ship with a starter toner cartridge which has less prints than a replacement.
True, but not that many fewer prints.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Knormal posted:

HP's are about 1/3 capacity on the lovely lasers :gonk: My purchasing department responds by buying refurb toners from Office Depot.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Sickening posted:

The only attainable goal with printers users is to make the printers users someone else's problem. All printers users suck and that is never changing.

I know it's a few pages back, but I feel this is more universal.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That's a shame. When I was just a wage-slave at Staples I always tried to steer folks toward Brothers because they were the only printers left that didn't gently caress your computer to death with driver bloat that required dual-layer DVDs to install. Brother only moved to putting their drivers on CD when computers stopped coming with floppy drives.

My home Brother is relatively new and I've had zero issues with it, except sometimes it forgets to check google print until you restart it (this might have something to do with my lovely internet).

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

ticket came in.. 3rd party tech for a client is bitching about having to setup an iSCSI connection on a server. I had to set one up about three years ago and knew nothing about iSCSI, hell I had never heard of it before. 5 minutes with google and it was up and running. Some people just hate learning things.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Knormal posted:

I am not so sure about that. I think the Okis I have dealt with here come with 1k page toners but the replacement toner is 5k pages.
Basically they come with enough toner to install the printer and verify it is not DOA and sort out teething issues then order a new set.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Rorac posted:

I know it's a few pages back, but I feel this is more universal.

As I stated earlier: If you hate printers, either:
-You have a bunch of lovely HP/Samsung/Dell desktop pieces of garbage
-Your copier tech is terrible/IT doesn't know what they are doing.

A properly maintained MFP with up-to-date drivers and correctly implemented print queue(like setting up accessories, defaults, presets) runs completely smoothly. There are better and worse manufactures, but they all will work fine for general office use.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
You're right, the near universal hatred of dealing with printers has nothing to do with printers, it's just IT that's got it all screwed up

You're not a director or a vp by any chance are you

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mrit posted:

As I stated earlier: If you hate printers, either:
-You have a bunch of lovely HP/Samsung/Dell desktop pieces of garbage
-Your copier tech is terrible/IT doesn't know what they are doing.

A properly maintained MFP with up-to-date drivers and correctly implemented print queue(like setting up accessories, defaults, presets) runs completely smoothly. There are better and worse manufactures, but they all will work fine for general office use.

Oh my. I ignored your post about this before because it you left so much open that I assumed you meant something different than how I read it. But here we are, you saying this and I can't figure out how anybody that has been around MFP printers long enough could ever come to this conclusion. You are the worst.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

tehloki posted:

You're right, the near universal hatred of dealing with printers has nothing to do with printers, it's just IT that's got it all screwed up

You're not a director or a vp by any chance are you

Its not only IT. It is also terrible service techs. As I stated. The important part is to understand why a problem is happening, not just say that 'printers suck, lol'. This can be a tech that doesn't explain how to setup services on the mfp, provide firmware updates that solve problem, or train users to keep them from jamming the machine every 5 minutes.
It can also be IT when they treat the machine as a burden and not a delicate piece of equipment.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 25, 2014

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I think you're interpreting "gently caress printers" as "all printers are physically terrible" instead of "gently caress dealing with lovely printers and users who have no idea how to use printers"

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

tehloki posted:

I think you're interpreting "gently caress printers" as "all printers are physically terrible" instead of "gently caress dealing with lovely printers and users who have no idea how to use printers"

Oh. Then yes, gently caress users and lovely desktop printers. :)

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I've seriously taught my users the same things over and over again and there is a large group that just never seems to learn anything. I don't think I'm a horrible teacher, considering most people I teach a printer thing to learn it within 30 seconds

There are also issues that crop up with some of our printers that aren't in your list of lovely devices that have nothing to do with patterns of use or misuse or improper maintenance. Certain parts in our xerox machines just seem to wear out or get misaligned every 3 weeks and cause the machine to jam on every 3rd page until I can summon a tech

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Alighieri posted:

ticket came in.. 3rd party tech for a client is bitching about having to setup an iSCSI connection on a server. I had to set one up about three years ago and knew nothing about iSCSI, hell I had never heard of it before. 5 minutes with google and it was up and running. Some people just hate learning things.

I'm not gonna lie. Doing iSCSI targets "right" (with jumbo frames and a segmented network and mpio and isns and lun masking and all the rest) is nontrivial.

Configuring an initiatior from Windows is pretty dead simple assuming your NICs are already set up and you make sure you actually have multiple paths to the target.

But learning iSCSI is not a 5 minute or 30 minute job unless you're already comfortable with FC and networking

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
A cold-call transfer came in ... from Comcast.

Comcast heard he had a server and sent him to our support queue - not even the same building or company, just threw the customer at us. Proved a 3rd party router wasn't receiving an IP Address from the Modem so WAY outside of the server scope.

But seriously!? Just dialing a 1-800 number and bridging the call like that? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Alighieri posted:

Some people just hate learning things.

Some people also hate teaching themselves in production.

• Locked thread