Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, Engadget article means the mainstream media will pick up on it any second: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/23/bent-iphone-6-plus-problem/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The iPhone Thread: Bender and Bendererer

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My iPhone 5 was solely responsible for the three broken ribs I just experienced at the snow last month. The edge of the phone sitting in the breast pocket lines up perfectly with all three breaks.

At least the 6 might break the fall instead next time.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Josh Lyman posted:

I had an iPhone 5 and didn't experience any exceptional problems with the chamfered edges. They're polished, so of course any scuffing is more noticeable, but iPhone launches are the most high profile in the tech world, aside from a new Xbox or Playstation, so people blow everything out of proportion, except people are dumber with handheld devices than a console that's clearly meant to sit in a stable, safe location.

That was sort of the joke. I was just looking for an outlet for an irresistible impulse to create dumb scandal names :v:

Laserface posted:

My iPhone 5 was solely responsible for the three broken ribs I just experienced at the snow last month. The edge of the phone sitting in the breast pocket lines up perfectly with all three breaks.

At least the 6 might break the fall instead next time.
Ribghazi...

Okay, it's out of my system now :)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

The iPhone Thread: Bender and Bendererer

The iPhone Thread: Bender and Flexo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

That was sort of the joke. I was just looking for an outlet for an irresistible impulse to create dumb scandal names :v:
Bendgate is a more serious problem than chamfergate, if only because the latter is an aesthetic problem brought on by abuse, while the former is perceived to be a design problem that can be trigger by normal, careless use.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Has anyone who got a 6 plus ended up returning it for a normal 6? My plus is going to arrive this week and I'm getting kind of nervous about whether or not I picked the right phone. I really want the better battery life, bigger screen, and the OIS on the plus badly, however I never really realized until I paid attention to it today just how much I use my phone one handed. Before I didn't really think it would be hard to adapt to, nor did I think I cared all that much about one handed use even if I had to forgo it for constant 2 handed use but I'm not so sure now.

I guess there is no way of knowing until I try it out for awhile. Just wondering though what other people's experiences have been so for, for those who were on the fence but went with the plus.

Apple lets you return/exchange within a two week period, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Damo posted:

Apple lets you return/exchange within a two week period, right?
Yes, 14 days.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I'm guessing for online orders the 14 day period starts when you receive your phone in the mail, then? Seems the only way that would make sense for mail orders.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
6 plus is about to put an end to hipster skinny jeans fashion. Good job Apple

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

my bitter bi rival posted:

Can anyone help me with my iPhone 4S? I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask, but it won't charge anymore. It was fine earlier today, until, at one point this afternoon, it started vibrating like it does when you plug it in while charging at my desk. I noticed that when it happened and tapped the top button to wake it, when it noticed it wasn't charging any longer. Since then, it hasn't taken a charge.

I've tried 3 different cables, plugging into different USB charger plugs, plugging into my computer, hard restart (home + top button), normal restart (top button), toggling the mute button back and forth and then trying to restart (I saw somewhere to try this... idk?), can't get it to go into restore mode because it doesn't recognize that its plugged in. No water damage red line indicator things. cleaned out the port area with a safety pin hoping it might be lint.

Nothing happens when you plug it in. Its not dead yet, but I can't get a Genius Bar appt til this weekend. Am I boned?

You can take it to the genius bar, they'll at least look at it even if it isn't under warranty. It could be a dead battery. Or, you might just need to reboot it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Quick question. I can get my colleagues iphone 5 with only a broken display for cheap. I would try exchanging that myself. The internet claims that's easy.
Has anyone of you done this before? Is it really that easy using one of the replacement kits? I can get an original display + tools for 80 €, no knockoff display.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

webmeister posted:

I assume he means a target for theft. The lanyard makes it super visible and (probably) quite easy to take.

Yeah, this is what I meant. You could easily just snatch it off someone's neck and they wouldn't even register what the hell just happened until a few moments later. If you wanted to be a real sleuthy thief, you could get a sleuth thief friend to cut it the moment you're going up for it and now you have a new lanyard and a new phone.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

gohmak posted:

6 plus is about to put an end to hipster skinny jeans fashion. Good job Apple

Finally, cargo jorts for all!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pretty impressed with the battery in my 6. I haven't been using wifi at all as I got a bonus 25GB for the first month of my contract and I have 4G everywhere I go.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

iPhone Thread: Bigger and Bendier

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Yeah, the bend stuff is all over the place now. It's even on local newspaper sites and poo poo. Probably going to be front page of the New York Times tomorrow in 72pt font. I think President Obama is going to address it in a special session with Congress.

My fiancee heard about it. I know if she's heard about it, it's everywhere. Because she couldn't give a poo poo about tech stuff/news, and neither her friends. She's a pretty good barometer in cases like this, actually, now that I think about it.

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 24, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It will be interesting to see if there is anything to this bending blowup. From the one high res video where the guy bends a 6+, it looks as though there is already a stress fracture at the same point of failure before he begins.

Until we see more I'm inclined to believe the video to be staged and the 3 other pics floating around are isolated cases of people being abusive to their phones.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I must be bad luck. Last iPhone I bought was the 4 and I had to deal with hurr hurr don't hold it like that antenna gate people.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Anyone who appends "gate" onto the end of anything remotely scandalous should be punched in the throat with a broken bottle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody online done battery tests based on screen brightness? I've always been curious how much longer the battery life would last at 25%, 50%, and 100%.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'd like to see photos of people with super tight jeans and iPhone 6 Pluses in their pockets cause I bet they look dumb.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Xarb posted:

Finally, cargo jorts for all!

Maybe Apple will give us a free pair like they did bumpers for antenaegate.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spunkshui posted:

The iPhone Thread: Bend Your Purchase

So close! Debend Your Purchase :eng101:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Hey if you don't want to scrape over speed bumps don't buy a Porche sportscar.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 24, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For non techies who have upgraded to iOS 8, what are the complaints? I can definitely see the camera roll changes... anything else?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

For non techies who have upgraded to iOS 8, what are the complaints? I can definitely see the camera roll changes... anything else?

I don't know, nontechy people are pretty stupid. I saw a girl in class taking a picture of google maps directions on her laptop screen with an iPhone 5S the other day.

I know that force-quitting everything to "save battery" or whatever the gently caress is still really popular from the days of, what, the 3GS?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

gohmak posted:

Hey if you don't want to scrape over speed bumps don't buy a Porche.

Buy a Cayenne

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Haven't seen this posted here, but apparently there was a hidden feature in iOS8!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Haven't seen this posted here, but apparently there was a hidden feature in iOS8!

I love this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6551750

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
My Neo Grab smartphone holder car setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Ks5hMpIzg

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
I've been having a problem with my Verizon 6 where it will just lose service. It will show 2-3 bars, but be unable to go online for anything. This has even happened at home with it on my wifi. I've reset network settings and all that... do you guys think I should take it back to Verizon or take it to an Apple store to get it replaced? Power cycling the phone solves the issue but it's happened about once a day since Friday.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Perick posted:

I've been having a problem with my Verizon 6 where it will just lose service. It will show 2-3 bars, but be unable to go online for anything. This has even happened at home with it on my wifi. I've reset network settings and all that... do you guys think I should take it back to Verizon or take it to an Apple store to get it replaced? Power cycling the phone solves the issue but it's happened about once a day since Friday.

Are you using a case? Some cases gently caress with signal

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

TheQat posted:

Are you using a case? Some cases gently caress with signal

I am, my niece is using the same case on her 6 and has had 0 issues. (it's a Spigen)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
FYI, if your iphone 6/6+ gets bent, don't bend it back, you actually weaken the aluminum by trying to bend it back. That and you might crack the screen if it wasn't cracked already.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tuyop posted:

I don't know, nontechy people are pretty stupid. I saw a girl in class taking a picture of google maps directions on her laptop screen with an iPhone 5S the other day.

I know that force-quitting everything to "save battery" or whatever the gently caress is still really popular from the days of, what, the 3GS?

Yeah, I'm thinking more of "complaining because you upgraded them to iOS 8" stuff. I guess I should wait for 8.0.1 but some of the features would be nice to share.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw. When enough users have a problem that kinda ruins a device, it stops being their fault and becomes an issue with the device. And mark my words, this issue will get much bigger very quickly as the next shipments of 6+s get out in the world, as they were pretty limited at release and this is already a huge PR disaster. I'm curious what Apple will say/do, once the mainstream media makes a fuss about it they will have to do some damage control.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 24, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw. When enough users have a problem that kinda ruins a device, it stops being their fault and becomes an issue with the device. And mark my words, this issue will get much bigger very quickly as the next shipments of 6+s get out in the world, as they were pretty limited at release and this is already a huge PR disaster. I'm curious what Apple will say/do, once the mainstream media makes a fuss about it they will have to do some damage control.

Apple gave away a free case for Antennagate, so i'm going to guess they'll do the same here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A free vice grip to straighten the phone back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Perick posted:

My wife's 6 is having similar problems. It won't connect to the Internet over cellular and won't connect to LTE at all. Taking it to Apple in 2 hours.