Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw.

I can't tell if this is an ironipost or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It seems phones bending has been around for awhile. We are just going to see it more with a bigger phone. I wasn't going to get a 6+ anyway, but I hope it is a lot harder to bend the 6.

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'd like to see photos of people with super tight jeans and iPhone 6 Pluses in their pockets cause I bet they look dumb.

The 'hipster jeans' or 'super tight jeans' comments are becoming eye rolling. It seems like anytime anyone makes a comment about pockets someone has to bring up super tight pants or whatever. I know no male that wears these so-called skinny jeans, not even my teenage kids. It seems most males, who are not fat asses, like to wear the slim fit cut which are not tight at all. Yes I have seen hipsters (whatever assholes who like to label people want to call them) with those skinny jeans, but that is such a small percentage. Now females are a different story.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I can't tell if this is an ironipost or not.

You must be wearing skinny jeans right now.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

When you're fat enough, all jeans eventually become skinny jeans.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Solution: Case Mate or other super slim ultra clear case

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw. When enough users have a problem that kinda ruins a device, it stops being their fault and becomes an issue with the device. And mark my words, this issue will get much bigger very quickly as the next shipments of 6+s get out in the world, as they were pretty limited at release and this is already a huge PR disaster. I'm curious what Apple will say/do, once the mainstream media makes a fuss about it they will have to do some damage control.

Yeah, no other iPhone...

https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+5+bent&espv=2&biw=2100&bih=1341&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VssiVI7vJs3q8AX884CIAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Something Awful iPhone thread, keeping its finger on the pulse of today's fashion.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Pretty much every bend photo there is a result of an impact with, say, a car door. I personally bent an iphone when I closed the door on one, and that's how it looks. Those aren't pants bends

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Slim fit cut thank you.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

nate fisher posted:

It seems phones bending has been around for awhile. We are just going to see it more with a bigger phone. I wasn't going to get a 6+ anyway, but I hope it is a lot harder to bend the 6.

http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

The 'hipster jeans' or 'super tight jeans' comments are becoming eye rolling. It seems like anytime anyone makes a comment about pockets someone has to bring up super tight pants or whatever. I know no male that wears these so-called skinny jeans, not even my teenage kids. It seems most males, who are not fat asses, like to wear the slim fit cut which are not tight at all. Yes I have seen hipsters (whatever assholes who like to label people want to call them) with those skinny jeans, but that is such a small percentage. Now females are a different story.

The issue isn't bending, but how easy it is to bend a 6+ (and maybe 6)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously this means the 6S/6S+ is going to have a tungsten chassis, guaranteeing it will never bend.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

Suqit posted:

My wife's 6 is having similar problems. It won't connect to the Internet over cellular and won't connect to LTE at all. Taking it to Apple in 2 hours.

Please let us know what they do. I'm on the phone with VZW now and he said VZW stores won't have any replacements to give since they're all on backorder. I seem to recall someone here mentioning that Apple stores keep a supply on hand for this type of swap out though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys are trying real hard to make it sound like only hipsters with skinny jeans and back pocket phone carriers are capable of bending the phones, yet someone in this very thread with "normal" pants claims he has a slight bend already. No iPhone before this had this issue, so you can't tell everyone to just be extra careful all of a sudden. The video makes it clear that it doesn't take a ridiculous amount of force to cause it, so I think this might be a serious design flaw. When enough users have a problem that kinda ruins a device, it stops being their fault and becomes an issue with the device. And mark my words, this issue will get much bigger very quickly as the next shipments of 6+s get out in the world, as they were pretty limited at release and this is already a huge PR disaster. I'm curious what Apple will say/do, once the mainstream media makes a fuss about it they will have to do some damage control.

The video is completely unscientific and there's no way of confirming how much force is needed nor whether there was already an issue with that device before.

There are tons of pictures floating around of bent iPhone 5 and 5S phones as well, but that was never blown up to be a big deal.

Also, the release wasn't really that limited, they shipped 10 million phones.

This could very well be a big problem, but a few pictures from the Internet and a guy intentionally applying a lot of force to bend the phone means nothing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Obviously this means the 6S/6S+ is going to have a tungsten chassis, guaranteeing it will never bend.

Well, steel works just fine as seen on the iPhone 4... it's just heavy.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

I don't understand the forces involved in bending a phone in your front pocket. Back pocket I can understand because of a round butt exerting force. How does it get bent in the side pocket? Is there a helpful diagram?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mister Fister posted:

The issue isn't bending, but how easy it is to bend a 6+ (and maybe 6)

Oh I agree. That is why I said you will see it more with a bigger iPhone (6+).

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Slim fit cut thank you.

I was just being stupid, but slim cut here too (only cut any man should wear). Where are these skinny jeans people at that Goons keep blaming all the world problems on? It is the new 'Blame Obama'.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Slap Happy posted:

I don't understand the forces involved in bending a phone in your front pocket. Back pocket I can understand because of a round butt exerting force. How does it get bent in the side pocket? Is there a helpful diagram?

Be fat, wear pants too tight

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

Is there an actual correlation between #bendgate victims and being obese?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Slap Happy posted:

Is there an actual correlation between #bendgate victims and being obese?

I am working on a graph right now. While I am able to find obese people, I am unable to find skinny jeans people. So I need more data.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I am working on a graph right now. While I am able to find obese people, I am unable to find skinny jeans people. So I need more data.

Any jeans can be skinny jeans if you're fat enough

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Be fat, wear pants too tight

Or put it in your back pocket, sit on it like a dumbass and then lie on the internet so you can get a free replacement.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

nate fisher posted:

The iPhone Thread: Defend Your Jeans

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Oh I agree. That is why I said you will see it more with a bigger iPhone (6+).

I was just being stupid, but slim cut here too (only cut any man should wear). Where are these skinny jeans people at that Goons keep blaming all the world problems on? It is the new 'Blame Obama'.
Perhaps you don't go in YLLS, but there is an entire thread devoted to guys wearing skinny jeans where they constantly complain about the thread's favorite brand having useless small pockets.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Slap Happy posted:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just wear sweatpants and embrace your inner fat to preserve the integrity of your iPhone.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Are people putting the iPhone 6 plus in their pickets sideways?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Will a 6+ even fit in a pocket sideways?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Are people putting the iPhone 6 plus in their pickets sideways?

Some people just don't treat their property well, and expect their cellphones to stand up to the same poor handling as all of their other personal belongings with scratches, bends, dings and knicks.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I keep my iphone 6 nestled snugly between my buttcheeks and so far no signs of bending.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Slap Happy posted:

What the gently caress pants do you wear with "side" pockets? Jeans have back and front pockets. Anything in your front pocket is pressed against the front of your thigh. When your legs are big enough and/or your pants are tight enough there will be force applied from the pants to your thigh and whatever's in the way will have that force applied to it. This isn't loving rocket science.

The only way it would be a non-issue is if you wear dad jeans or cargo shorts.; both of which are unacceptable if you give half a gently caress about how you're dressed. Also: it's fine if you don't give a gently caress, just don't berate someone else who does and tell them they're wrong for wearing the wrong pants or whatever other nerd/old-guy poo poo you want to mouth breathe about.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Endless Mike posted:

Perhaps you don't go in YLLS, but there is an entire thread devoted to guys wearing skinny jeans where they constantly complain about the thread's favorite brand having useless small pockets.

Jesus Christ I just visited the denim thread. The first few pages seemed fine (I could care less about selvedge jeans) so I skipped to the end, and I swear to God some Goon is wearing his jeans in the bathtub to get them to fit. You got me on that one.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Jesus Christ I just visited the denim thread. The first few pages seemed fine (I could care less about selvedge jeans) so I skipped to the end, and I swear to God some Goon is wearing his jeans in the bathtub to get them to fit. You got me on that one.

The worst part is that his cell phone is in his back pocket

Watergate

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Soaking raw denim is perfectly normal. Some people do things differently than you. Shocking, huh?

e: Levi's have been making jeans for 160 years and they have shrink-to-fit denim that fit better when you soak/wash them. You purposely size up and then shrink them down to fit right http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2076855#close

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 24, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The worst part is that his cell phone is in his back pocket

Watergate

Only if he was wearing 'shammypants', his phone would of been saved.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Soaking raw denim is perfectly normal. Some people do things differently than you. Shocking, huh?

Oh yes using the some people do things different than me ( Thanks I never noticed until now). Shocking? Nothing surprises me anymore. Do I find it stupid? Well I could care less about raw denim so of course I find it stupid, but to each their own.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 24, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nate fisher posted:

boot-cut jeans wearer spotted :v:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Posted this elsewhere because people seem to think it's impossible to bend your 6+ if you put it in your front pocket, even with skinny jeans:

Mister Fister posted:

Actually, i just tested this out with a ruler. If you're sitting in a chair and you bend your knees/move your feet back, your thigh will curve like gently caress. I can totally see how this will gently caress up your 6/6+ with tight enough pants.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I could care less

of course I find it stupid

to each their own

Cool, man.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Having a good laugh at people getting all spun up over blue jeans.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

:eng101: Waterghazi.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Waterpot Dome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ShoogaSlim posted:

Cool, man.

Its all good. Maybe one day I will get into the raw denim thing. I've lived long enough to know that sometimes you might be like 'that's not for me', but don't be surprise if you end up wearing that trend/design/etc before it is all said and done, and loving it. That said...

Bottom Liner posted:

boot-cut jeans wearer spotted :v:

I know jean trends change (I grew up in the era of acid-washed jeans), but that is one style I will always avoid until death.

Sorry I guess I am responsible for the derail.