Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I backed out of sheer curiosity so you don't have to. You're welcome.

Is there a backer-only draft? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a backer-only draft? :allears:
Hah no, like skr has enough written for that.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

LordAba posted:

Backer number 420. Heh.

Wait, Devil Survivor as in Shin Megami Tensei?

Yes. Exactly that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

dwarf74 posted:

I backed out of sheer curiosity so you don't have to. You're welcome.

Sean K Reynolds backed So77 for $1. Maybe I should return the favor... OR MAYBE I SHOULD KEEP HIS MONEY!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
New Savage World on the horizon...

The Last Parsec https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/the-last-parsec-savage-worlds

Pinnacle always runs smooth efficient KS campaigns.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, there was basically no chance of me not backing that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

I love how the description is phrased entirely in reference to D&D. A lot of it doesn't make much sense unless you have an in-depth knowledge of the flaws D&D has and the metagame importance thereof. Granted, just about anybody backing a Sean K Reynolds kickstarter is likely to be a Pathfinder fan to begin with, but it's interesting to he doesn't even try and spin it as something independent. It's just another object in D&D's orbit.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I love how the description is phrased entirely in reference to D&D. A lot of it doesn't make much sense unless you have an in-depth knowledge of the flaws D&D has and the metagame importance thereof. Granted, just about anybody backing a Sean K Reynolds kickstarter is likely to be a Pathfinder fan to begin with, but it's interesting to he doesn't even try and spin it as something independent. It's just another object in D&D's orbit.

:effort:

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Why on earth would you phrase a monster's abilities in first-person when nothing else is? Is there possible gain from that beyond being able to say "this is not like Pathfinder?"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The first thing I noticed about that is that the giant can only catch a rock if

• They 'boost' - that is, use some of their limited resources.
  • They make a Ref save - their worst - against the attack roll.

I'm assuming the giant's attack roll with a thrown rock is level appropriate (+11) so that gives them a 30% chance of being able to catch a level-appropriate thrown rock. After spending a limited resource to do so. "[Elevating] martial characters to have parity with spellcasters", everybody!

I was going to write 'Has he learned nothing?' but gently caress it, we already know the answer to that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I love all the work that's gone into making sure the ability of the stone giant to catch rocks is properly gated. "If I boost (presumably some sort of healing surge-esque mechanic), if I'm aware of it, and if I pass a check, I can catch a rock. Nothing else, not ballista bolts or hurled axes or anything like that, just rocks."

dangit, e;fb

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Echophonic posted:

A/N/N is still a no-show and no-news for like 8 months.

Eh? I got my PDF copy in December 2013.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Man I picked a tough time to launch a TRPG kickstarter. Like a week after mine, the floodgates opened and there's now a million splitting up all the backers. I'm glad I met my goal early. I'd still really love to hit more of my stretch goals as I know it can do way better looking at other similar projects.

I gave my kickstarter page a huge facelift to try and compete. Check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1601691240/broken-world-a-post-apocalypse-tabletop-rpg

For those who don't know, I'm doing a post apocalypse TRPG called Broken World. New standalone system inspired by Dungeon World/ Apocalypse World.
[/shilling]

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 24, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I saw that! I think $60CAN before any physical reward might be your enemy more than competition though. I know that's why I didn't back, even though it looks great.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

moths posted:

I saw that! I think $60CAN before any physical reward might be your enemy more than competition though. I know that's why I didn't back, even though it looks great.

I know :eng99: What I did was I included all shipping in that tier. Even international. I wish I could take that back and just put the shipping extra option but it's too late to modify it. It would have looked less deterring.

For what it's worth, 60$ covers shipping anywhere and gets you all the digital stuff as well as a full colour hardcover copy.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cheap Shot posted:

For those who don't know, I'm doing a post apocalypse TRPG called Broken World. New standalone system inspired by Dungeon World/ Apocalypse World.
[/shilling]

I pimped your KS a little bit during a podcast interview last week when they asked me what other games I was looking forward to.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Bucnasti posted:

I pimped your KS a little bit during a podcast interview last week when they asked me what other games I was looking forward to.

Oh yeah, I saw that thank you! The podcaster contacted me to do an interview on Saturday so I appreciate it. Your KS looks phenomenal btw. Killer art.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

For anyone who backed Twilight Struggle, do you remember when they'd send out the GMT games coupons? I'm mostly just checking to see I didn't forget or otherwise miss it being sent out.

Also I'm curious how many of these games you guys have Kickstarter'ed have actually hit the table.

Looks like they were having problems with Playdek accounts and uncompleted surveys, a comment by them on the 2nd said it would be soon and that they'd send out an update for it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

New Savage World on the horizon...

The Last Parsec https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/the-last-parsec-savage-worlds

Pinnacle always runs smooth efficient KS campaigns.

Hopefully people don't wait until the last parsec to back it. ;)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He's just using the Pathfinder business model with some black light posters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure who the audience is. I can't expect PF fans will defect to a non-pf game made by the least respected PF designer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Given the name recognition, it's not exactly blowing the doors off. It's barely made 9k in the initial "opening rush". (Compare to Feng Shui and Last Parsec, which each hit five figures in less than a day.)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

homullus posted:

Hopefully people don't wait until the last parsec to back it. ;)

$35 digital seems like a lot for savage worlds, and three books seems a little excessive for SW too, but they've ways done good products. Definitely waiting to see what stretch goals unlock to make it worthwhile.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

$35 digital seems like a lot for savage worlds, and three books seems a little excessive for SW too, but they've ways done good products. Definitely waiting to see what stretch goals unlock to make it worthwhile.

I vote on a pro-Savage Worlds platform and that art looks like it's a couple levels above most SW products. I just wanted to make a joke about parsec being time vs. being space, using the name of the product.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Fenarisk posted:

I think $35 was what I paid for the digital tier of East Texas University, and I've been pretty happy with it. It feels like every other week I get an email from them telling me there is more poo poo to download, from prop packs to new scenarios. Its far and away been the best kickstarter I've been a part of.

Granted, I haven't done that many TG kick starters- Dungeon World, Durance, ETU, Shadows of Brimstone, and Dungeon Saga. Shadows of Brimstone had some communication issues and various frustrations, but I think Flying Frog have definitely improved over the course of learning what not to do. They just began shipping out orders this week and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
I backed Breakfast Cult just to push it over the edge for the next expansion so I could pledge for one of the new tiers added from it. I don't think that's weird.

It broke 10k though! Hope it makes it to 11k before it ends.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fenarisk posted:

Send decent for three books, the figure flats, gm insert and any fiction anthologies and adventures that unlock.

Edit: oh, just took a closer look and saw that each book is a setting book for a different planet and that you still need the sci fi companion to play anything.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 24, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Cheap Shot posted:

I know :eng99: What I did was I included all shipping in that tier. Even international. I wish I could take that back and just put the shipping extra option but it's too late to modify it. It would have looked less deterring.

For what it's worth, 60$ covers shipping anywhere and gets you all the digital stuff as well as a full colour hardcover copy.

You could make a lower tier and specify that it's only for (insert countries that are cheaper to ship to here), then do an update/add a FAQ entry about how the $60 tier is for countries that aren't on that list.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was going to suggest that, but I think the cheaper countries are what's making it possible to ship world wide at a flat rate. You're basically subsidizing the Australian orders with the Canadian ones, which can backfire horribly if you let the Canadian bakers back out.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Why must international shipping ruin everything :(

I like your KS, but... yeah, the price for the book is a tad too much for me at the moment.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Aren't most of those bullet points things that Pathfinder was supposed to accomplish as well? How many times can you sell the same people D&D 3.5, because it seems like it's a lot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Misandu posted:

How many times can you sell the same people D&D 3.5, because it seems like it's a lot.

An infinite number of times.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO WITH AN IMMOVABLE ROD
1. Keep it safe in a hollowed out OGL text because that poo poo isn't going to go anywhere either.

edit: Phineas Gage except immovable rod.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 24, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Though the case was a landmark in the study of multiclassing, we can't forget the human tragedy. After his encounter with the rod, friends and family were confused by his sudden change in attitude and ability to Phineas Rage three times a day.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not sure who the audience is. I can't expect PF fans will defect to a non-pf game made by the least respected PF designer.

There are people that buy into Sean K Reynolds: very opinionated gaming. I did around the turn of the millennium, but but I was full of other foolish notions re: D&D 3rd edition at the time, as evidenced by some of the d20 design work I did. He did do some some solid work for WotC (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting) and Paizo (Pathfinder Beginner Box), so it's not like he's without accomplishments. Paizo certainly pushed his design cred as hard as they could, putting him front and center for their RPG Superstar contests. Me, though, I'll always remember him as the designer of the krenshar; a cat that puts on a scary face. Look out, adventurers, it's a big cat with a scary face!

Misandu posted:

Aren't most of those bullet points things that Pathfinder was supposed to accomplish as well? How many times can you sell the same people D&D 3.5, because it seems like it's a lot.

Maybe if they try hard enough they'll invent 4th edition independently. :allears: It's like his awareness of fantasy RPGs begins with D&D 3rd edition and ends with Pathfinder. I mean, there have been multiple games that solve all the issues he describes, and it's classically heartbreakerish. So far as evidenced, there's literally nothing to advance it so far beyond what Dungeons & Dragons 4e, 13th Age, Dungeon World, or even Fantasy Craft already accomplished.

If you want more insight into SKR's design process, you can find it on his site here, including such insights as "crossbows are worse than bows IRL, but I'm not going to use that because it's boring" or "the problem with fighters and wizards is that fighters can't switch out their feats enough".

Sean K Reynolds posted:

I drew a "dungeon path" stretch goal map for the campaign. However, my drawings are very cartoony, and my reviewers felt it might detract from the rest of the art shown for the campaign, so I removed it. (Basically I didn't want anyone thinking that I'd be doing any art in the actual books.) But it was a fun picture, so I'm sharing it with you here.

No Sean don't-

Oh, Sean.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hopefully it will see enough money to hit the BDSM Hulk goal, but it's unlikely we'll get to Exploding Diamond. Given his previous track-record, Fart Ghosts are right out.

E: We might hit Lizard Seduction though

Also "cartoony" is an interesting way of saying "lovely"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

"the problem with fighters and wizards is that fighters can't switch out their feats enough".

Yes, Sean. That's the problem with fighters and wizards. Feat swapping. :dawkins101:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Stretch Goal 2: You enter a dank cavern. 2d20% of backers are dropped upon by green slime and turned into more slime, no save.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Stretch Goal 7: You come across a magically sealed door. Your rogue may attempt to pick it at a DC35, or DC30 after passing a Magical Lore check. Your wizard can also unlock it, by using a level 2 cantrip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homullus posted:

I vote on a pro-Savage Worlds platform and that art looks like it's a couple levels above most SW products. I just wanted to make a joke about parsec being time vs. being space, using the name of the product.

Yea I dig that they broke it into 3 books to give plenty of detail (hopefully), and the art is a step above usual, I'd say that's worth the 'get all the pdfs and stretch goals' money at least. Then again my group loves us some space bullshit, so this is gonna get a lot of use.

• Locked thread