Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I mean come on, even the loving thumbnail tells you it's going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yikes. I kind of figured the chef's-hat-wearing follower named Stabby was an indication, but I had no idea how much. :cripes:

Okay then, is there anything that follows up Dark Brotherhood and doesn't suck?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My GOD this is painful to watch.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Ahahaha holy poo poo this is incredible. Spell Tome: Detect Virgins.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
my god the detect virgins thing, what in the hell.

and stabby voice actor trying to do his best james wood impression. :allears:

someone please tell me theres screenshots or an archive of that kickstarter.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a way to find the pillars from the Thunderchild shout mod? The new shouts are amazing if not particularly balanced but a lot of new stuff is not very well explained, and the method for actually learning the new shouts kind of sucks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hey again. I've done the things you've said, and it works a lot better now.

In other news, the Apocalypse pack is loving awesome. With Mystic Wind and Longstride (plus Bound Armor) on my Destruction mage, I haven't used Magicka potions basically ever. I love the non-combat stuff.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

LoonShia posted:

Hey again. I've done the things you've said, and it works a lot better now.

In other news, the Apocalypse pack is loving awesome. With Mystic Wind and Longstride (plus Bound Armor) on my Destruction mage, I haven't used Magicka potions basically ever. I love the non-combat stuff.

Longstride is almost worth the install alone but I love all the spells added by Apocalypse. When your alteration and mana pool gets high enough, using telekinesis + the conjured heavy orb spell as a gravity gun is so much fun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Okay, looking forward to that. I'm rubbish at leveling Alteration though, so it'll be a while.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Okay, looking forward to that. I'm rubbish at leveling Alteration though, so it'll be a while.
If you're using SPERG, Alteration will auto-level if you have mage armour up, which owns. Though it maybe levels up a bit too quickly, a dragon breathed fire on me once, took off a quarter of my health and Alteration immediately leveled up to 100 from 95.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
And don't you guys have Candlelight up 24/7? That and mage armor have made Alteration my highest leveled skill.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brasseye posted:

Is there a way to find the pillars from the Thunderchild shout mod? The new shouts are amazing if not particularly balanced but a lot of new stuff is not very well explained, and the method for actually learning the new shouts kind of sucks.
I think you get markers for the pillars once you've located two of them. One is in the swamps north of Morthal and west of Windstad Manor.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Isn't one of them right at the base of the Throat, just off the first stone steps?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bloodnose posted:

And don't you guys have Candlelight up 24/7? That and mage armor have made Alteration my highest leveled skill.

Maybe I'm just not very good at this game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I almost never use candlelight or torches but I probably would all of the time if I used lighting mods which made the game darker than vanilla.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I think you get markers for the pillars once you've located two of them. One is in the swamps north of Morthal and west of Windstad Manor.

Maybe that's been added since I installed (haven't kept up on any mod patches :v:) or one of my other mods breaks it - I've found a bunch of pillars with various names, all of them say "This pillar sleeps" or the like, and none show on the map or on the radar. <shrug>

Just finished the main quest of Dragonborn so odds are I'm going to drop out of Skyrim for a while, anyway.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

If I'm not mistaken, Dark Brotherhood Resurrection is the mod where Ms. Rape-Dead-Bodies asks you to violate her with the Mace of Molag Bal.

Yeah.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
My archer is starting to become unplayable. About half the time, enemies die in one (sneak) arrow, as they should; half the time, they can take 20 or more before going down, and I can't figure out why. It's not an armor rating thing, and I've turned off Duel/ASIS/ACE to no avail. Anyone heard of such a problem?

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Duck and burger posted:

My archer is starting to become unplayable. About half the time, enemies die in one (sneak) arrow, as they should; half the time, they can take 20 or more before going down, and I can't figure out why. It's not an armor rating thing, and I've turned off Duel/ASIS/ACE to no avail. Anyone heard of such a problem?

Custom bow or arrows? Using SkyRe?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Griffon posted:

Custom bow or arrows? Using SkyRe?

No SkyRe. Hm, I didn't try respawning a new bow after uninstalling ACE (since it classifies everything as long or light).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Maybe that's been added since I installed (haven't kept up on any mod patches :v:) or one of my other mods breaks it - I've found a bunch of pillars with various names, all of them say "This pillar sleeps" or the like, and none show on the map or on the radar. <shrug>
You probably need to have the words for each pillar unlocked.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Every time I come to this drat thread it's with a problem. I'm trying to install Climates of Tamriel, but every time I go to get it running after it's downloaded it tells me that the "encoding method is unsupported". What the hell does this mean, and is there any way to fix it?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Axeface posted:

Every time I come to this drat thread it's with a problem. I'm trying to install Climates of Tamriel, but every time I go to get it running after it's downloaded it tells me that the "encoding method is unsupported". What the hell does this mean, and is there any way to fix it?

What's "it"? Skyrim? NME? MO?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Axeface posted:

Is "encoding method is unsupported" the exact error message word for word? I tried running a search using it and I am not getting anything which is unusual.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

After you turned stuff off, did you go to an indoor cell and rest like 3 or 4 days to reset everything? Does it still happen? Are you using any other mods that mess with level scaling/mob spawning? It sounds like you maybe hit a point where mobs sometimes get a significant bump in levels and health or something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Axeface posted:

it usually means the downloaded 7z file is corrupt. The Nexus messes up file compression because :nexus:, though it usually fixes itself in a few days. I'm traveling until tomorrow, but PM me if its still not working and I'll put whatever CoT files I have up on OneDrive or something.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Deaderinred posted:

my god the detect virgins thing, what in the hell.

and stabby voice actor trying to do his best james wood impression. :allears:

someone please tell me theres screenshots or an archive of that kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806959651/the-dark-brotherhood-resurrection-part-2/posts/350185

Extra reading, the authors reaction:
http://dbresurrection.blogspot.com/2012/11/kickstarter-project-cancelled.html
"This I don't understand. What is so offensive about asking for money? People ask for money every day. Some provide soup for free (Volunteers at a soup kitchen) and some provide soup for a fee (Souper Salad anyone?) Should I be offended that a restaurant charges for soup, just because others give it away for free?"

I would like to hear more analogies like this. :allears:

Also he might still be working on a part 2 so maybe we will get a video from Novajam showing that off if it ever gets done.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Bluargh. Okay, I figured out the CoT thing, but now the game crashes to desktop almost instantly after I open it through ModOrg; I get through the Bethesda logo and the second it hits the spinning dragon it goes right to desktop. Anybody else had this? Is it possibly a mod conflict, or is there something else I can try here?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Axeface posted:

Bluargh. Okay, I figured out the CoT thing, but now the game crashes to desktop almost instantly after I open it through ModOrg; I get through the Bethesda logo and the second it hits the spinning dragon it goes right to desktop. Anybody else had this? Is it possibly a mod conflict, or is there something else I can try here?

Generally means you have a missing master file, or a patch loading before a master. Check your load order, run LOOT/BOSS.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

This is also the troubleshooting thread so here goes:

PC Version - Playing a dual-wielding character and was loving it, until I improved my swords at a grinding wheel. Now they don't stack right in my favorites menu (sometimes). When they do stack, I am able to set them to a hotkey, but as soon as I press it once, it unstacks them and pressing it a second time just drops the sword that showed up in my right hand the first time I pressed it.

Research shows me that this is a known bug with no real fix vanilla-wise. My way to fix it was to use SkyUI's enhanced favorites menu to set the dual setup to one of the favorite slots they have.

My question is just is this the best way to work around this? I find it annoying that they encourage dual-wielding in the game, but as soon as you try to improve or enchant your weapons, they don't stack anymore. Is there a different/better fix that I'm missing?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Dual Hand Combo Hotkeys

The mod for hotkeys you will never want to live without after using.

v: Moonlight Tales + Werewolf Perks Expanded - Dawnguard is a pretty good combination.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 25, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So, thanks to the person who suggested Better Vampires to me. Is there an equivalently good Werewolf mod anyone can suggest?

Also, does anyone have a copy of the Skill Menu Retexture mod? It's gone off of the nexus, apparently the author was hacked and the hacker deleted all his mods.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

You probably need to have the words for each pillar unlocked.

Yeah I think thats the problem, the pillars I found are asleep for me too. I need to find more normal shouts then meditate before I start looking for pillars.

LoonShia posted:

Maybe I'm just not very good at this game.

Longstriding around everywhere will help a lot with leveling alteration, also I found it helpful to pick up the spell Ocato's recital and use it to add an auto cast of oak/stoneflesh to yourself when you enter battle. Its really convenient when you don't have to manually cast your armour spell in every fight and levels your alteration quickly.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

So, thanks to the person who suggested Better Vampires to me. Is there an equivalently good Werewolf mod anyone can suggest?

Also, does anyone have a copy of the Skill Menu Retexture mod? It's gone off of the nexus, apparently the author was hacked and the hacker deleted all his mods.

Here's the NMM installer version.
Here's the manual install version.

I think these are the latest versions, at least I couldn't find anything newer.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PolarPear posted:

Here's the NMM installer version.
Here's the manual install version.

I think these are the latest versions, at least I couldn't find anything newer.

Thank you! :nexus: you horrible horrible mod pirate :nexus:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Brasseye posted:

I found it helpful to pick up the spell Ocato's recital and use it to add an auto cast of oak/stoneflesh to yourself when you enter battle. Its really convenient when you don't have to manually cast your armour spell in every fight and levels your alteration quickly.

As much as I love the idea of Ocato's Recital (which just makes me think of an old-rear end Alteration mage sweating out a particularly challenging piano piece every time) I found the ability to cast three spells for free at the beginning of combat really unbalancing. If anyone ends up feeling the same way, Smart Cast allows you to set auto-casting spells with specific conditions that do cost mana. Granted, the ability to automatically cast spells under contingencies can trivialize combat if you go overboard, but it's a nice way to suit up without feeling bad about barfing out skeleton mages every time a wolf looks at you sideways.

Unrelated, but has anyone else gotten the infinite panting glitch? I've had it happen a few times to me so far after my stamina has bottomed out during combat, and the only fix I can find is to just reload to before it happened. It's really frustrating to lose progress just because you didn't hear all that wheezing in third person, though, so I'd love to know if a better solution is out there.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is the a mod that increases the difficulty, but in terms of making combat more involved than 'raise health' - I play on Normal and frankly you're a murder machine in no time, able to just blow up Dragons for the hell of it, but raising the difficulty just ups enemy health and damage, which isn't fun because I just end up kiting enemies about.

Basically, can I make combat more involving (and therefore more difficult) without either just increasing values, or relying on 'being cheap' and abusing the AI?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Agents are GO! posted:

Moonlight Tales

Shockeh posted:

Basically, can I make combat more involving (and therefore more difficult) without either just increasing values, or relying on 'being cheap' and abusing the AI?

Brodual just put up a video about this very thing today, so check out Combat Evolved. Link in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WM8ejvC8g

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

As much as I love the idea of Ocato's Recital (which just makes me think of an old-rear end Alteration mage sweating out a particularly challenging piano piece every time) I found the ability to cast three spells for free at the beginning of combat really unbalancing. If anyone ends up feeling the same way, Smart Cast allows you to set auto-casting spells with specific conditions that do cost mana. Granted, the ability to automatically cast spells under contingencies can trivialize combat if you go overboard, but it's a nice way to suit up without feeling bad about barfing out skeleton mages every time a wolf looks at you sideways.

I know what you mean, when I first got the spell I had it cast dremora berserker, an armour spell from alteration and I think a cloak or healing spell of some sort which was completely unbalanced. Not to mention kind of disproportionate when you walk past a mudcrab and all sorts of spells go off and a screaming dude with a giant axe charges at it. I still use it to autocast ebonyflesh though, I really need it in my current playthrough as a glass cannon mage with the Archmage's robe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

sticklefifer posted:

Brodual just put up a video about this very thing today, so check out Combat Evolved. Link in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WM8ejvC8g

Awesome! Follow-up question so I don't spend hours of my life trying each; Is there a goonhive consensus on which combat overhaul to use out of those mentioned?

• Locked thread