Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bold Robot posted:

What's their rationale for taking away the stab button? Seems guaranteed to make the game less fun.

No one actually uses it because the chance is always so loving low for a hefty sum.

Also if you fail the assassination they almost always send one for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaptorChief
Feb 21, 2007

Reposting this since I didn't see any answers, wondering if anyone has any tips to make them revolt.

AndrewFL9 posted:

Does anyone have any tips for vassalizing mercenary companies?

I found this guide here
http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Vassalizing_Mercenary_Companies

It's pretty simple, hire mercenaries, park them on an island outside you main kingdom title, run out of money, then let them invade. The very first time I tried this on a test save it worked perfectly, but they took the whole kingdom of aragon which I expected so I reloaded and granted barcelona independence.

Problem is, since then I have not been able to get any of them to revolt. Not in that game or any other since. Is there anywhere in the files that shows the factors for whether or not they decide to invade or not? Is my high diplo ruler making them like me to much to attack, are they comparing their strength to my realm strength, or maybe is there a certain amount of land you have to control in a kingdom for them to attack?

I have literally tried 30+ time since the first and they always just leave instead of revolting. I've even parked every single mercenary unit available on the land and none would revolt. If they are factoring in realm strength then hiring that many probably makes them not want to attack, but I don't understand why I got them to revolt that very first time and never again.

Also a tip for everyone who wants to make their own Merchant Republics on Ironman that I haven't seen listed. After you do all the steps and surrender to the bishop to make your son take over and become a republic, it does not matter if you get a game over screen. If you do get the game over screen, just quit to menu and when you load up your single player saves you will see that your save is actually still playable and your a republic. Achievements still work too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Funky Valentine posted:

No one actually uses it because the chance is always so loving low for a hefty sum.

You pretty much have to send your Spymaster to wherever your target is for it to work. When you do, unless the target has sky high Intrigue, your chances of success/not getting caught are usually palatable.

But "no one uses it because it's expensive" isn't a reason to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure their rationale is the opposite, that it shouldn't be that easy to whack someone and you should have to plot your way to it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah they said on the stream that they want people to use the plotting mechanic and the assassinate button was too simple/easy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Funky Valentine posted:

What do you mean? I use it a lot. Chance is often low but is also often the only choice you have, how else can you murder your kids and foreign adventurers? And when you have a lot of money, you can just keep trying till it works.

I do agree with removing it tough: its redundant when we have plot assassination (which is being reworked anyway) and it kinda feels like cheating.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The Kingdom of Italy is part of my dominion, which I'm pretty sure is where I got a de jure claim on Rome. I'm Catholic, but figured, gently caress it, one more county, and went to war with the Papacy for Rome and won. Now I have a new decision available to me to restore the Papacy to Rome, giving me 1000 Piety if I do. Now, if I do that, what's to stop me from going to war again and taking back Rome when the Papacy changes hands? Is this a weird infinite Piety bug?

Unrelated question: is there a bug where you can't change crown laws sometimes? I'm 10 years and 3 days out from gaining a title I want to change the laws of, but the "must have reigned for 10 years" is the only condition not met. Does reloading the game fix this?

Do we have any idea when they'll fix the elector bug where you have to renominate your successor every time you load? poo poo is annoying when you have like 20 titles. Is there a beta I can opt into on Steam?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

The Kingdom of Italy is part of my dominion, which I'm pretty sure is where I got a de jure claim on Rome. I'm Catholic, but figured, gently caress it, one more county, and went to war with the Papacy for Rome and won. Now I have a new decision available to me to restore the Papacy to Rome, giving me 1000 Piety if I do. Now, if I do that, what's to stop me from going to war again and taking back Rome when the Papacy changes hands? Is this a weird infinite Piety bug?

There's nothing stopping you. I described the entire thing a few pages ago. Not only does it give you 1000 Piety, you also get a net +175 relations with the Pope. Enjoy free gold forever.

For extra added fun, park your Spymaster in Rome. You'll generally have a 55+% chance to kill a clever Cardinal, and the not so clever ones end up as 70+% success with zero chance of exposure.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kilonum posted:

From today's dav diary

:toot:

Don't forget to link it. :argh:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802653-Crusader-Kings-II-Charlemagne-Dev-Diary-2-Kings-Queens-and-Murderers

EDIT: They still haven't said what will come of adventurers and the inability to now stop their 100K magic army.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 24, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've noticed that in loads of my games recently the Byzantines becomes catholic, and usually before the crusades start. Does this happen to anyone else?

Are you playing the Old Gods start? Because then it might be Karlings marrying into the Empire (it's always Karlings).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Pakled posted:

I've always liked the idea of an observe/god-mode DLC. A nice little interface for changing characters traits and stats, switching provinces around, calling events etc. I know all this is all possible using the console right now but giving it all a proper UI and integrating it with observe-mode gameplay so you don't need to alt-tab between the game and a list of console commands would be a lot of fun. But I recognize that this might appeal only to me. :v:

I would pay at least 20$ for this, because I am a consumer whore and its basically how I play the game already. It's hard for me to stick to one part of the map for more than a hundred years at a stretch, but I like bouncing around and shaping the course of the world.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

quote:

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

I'm glad they finally added them in from CK2+:toot:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That is a good move. It was always annoying when you had a shitload of land but couldn't make yourself king/emperor because your lands didn't match up with a de jure kingdom/empire.

And should lead to some more ahistorical kingdoms/empires which is always good.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, if she managed to clean up the Ming Frontier and update it for ROI, I'd download it in a heartbeat. It was loving glorious insanity.

As I recall, though, she mentioned that even before ROI it was pretty broken and spat out thousands of unlanded characters for some reason.

Yeah, something went horribly wrong when I tried to add Hui culture dynasties, and Europe flooded with Changs and (mysteriously) Ceska Lipas. When I just deleted my custom dynasties entirely, all of the Changs just became nodynasty, which wasn't much better but at least it avoided spoiling the existence of the Hui decades before they actually showed up in the LP.

That said, the mod would be pretty easy to replicate-- just install that Chinese portrait mod, make a Hui (or Han, but I used Hui because that meant I wouldn't even need to add a new religion to the game) culture, re-localize e_timurids as something appropriate, and then go into the Tamerlane events and change all of the characters it generates to Hui. For that particular ByzLP flavor, edit the size of all of the stacks the events spawn to some basically random but unreasonably high number.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

That is a good move. It was always annoying when you had a shitload of land but couldn't make yourself king/emperor because your lands didn't match up with a de jure kingdom/empire.

And should lead to some more ahistorical kingdoms/empires which is always good.

Especially with how inconsistent it is. You can have like 5 kingdoms in Spain with an amount of duchies that get you nothing in other start areas. Could take centuries to get one kingdom while that one rear end in a top hat in portugal with the 2 counties is already started on bumping up his crown authority. Also annoying how it sort of scripts your growth. You've got a limit on holdings, so if you start as a count, you're basically forced to go straight for the duchy your county is in, then the kingdom that your duchy is in, etc. It'll be cool to just be like ehhh I think I'll head east, without it making any difference.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Volkerball posted:

Especially with how inconsistent it is. You can have like 5 kingdoms in Spain with an amount of duchies that get you nothing in other start areas. Could take centuries to get one kingdom while that one rear end in a top hat in portugal with the 2 counties is already started on bumping up his crown authority. Also annoying how it sort of scripts your growth. You've got a limit on holdings, so if you start as a count, you're basically forced to go straight for the duchy your county is in, then the kingdom that your duchy is in, etc. It'll be cool to just be like ehhh I think I'll head east, without it making any difference.

Also loving empires requirements.

Why the gently caress do I need the Kingdom of Egypt to form the Empire of Abyssinia when I already have the Kingdom of Nubia, Abyssinia and 3 other kingdom titles? Its just bullshit.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
If AIs are aggressive about converting dukedoms to kingdoms, it's going to be more difficult to get them to swear fealty ("I'm a king! -----")

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also loving empires requirements.

Why the gently caress do I need the Kingdom of Egypt to form the Empire of Abyssinia when I already have the Kingdom of Nubia, Abyssinia and 3 other kingdom titles? Its just bullshit.

Does this not have something to do with the fact each Kingdom can only be in 1 de jure Empire? Like how Italia requires you hold the Kingdom of Sicily (de jure ERE) but the de jure territory is literally just Italy. The de jure Empires are supposed to be consistent geographically. The Empire of Abyssinia would make sense with Egypt or Arabia as the 3rd Kingdom.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

chippocrates posted:

Does this not have something to do with the fact each Kingdom can only be in 1 de jure Empire? Like how Italia requires you hold the Kingdom of Sicily (de jure ERE) but the de jure territory is literally just Italy. The de jure Empires are supposed to be consistent geographically. The Empire of Abyssinia would make sense with Egypt or Arabia as the 3rd Kingdom.

This is why Wiz had the right idea in CK2+ of not having de jure empires save for the HRE and Byzantium and then just having a empire for each culture.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just started playing CK2+ yesterday. Is that a thing? I didn't see anything about the de jure poo poo changing in the description. How does it work?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Volkerball posted:

I just started playing CK2+ yesterday. Is that a thing? I didn't see anything about the de jure poo poo changing in the description. How does it work?

When you get some number of kingdom titles (3, I think?), you'll get the decision to form an empire called [culture] Empire with de jure territory covering all of your current kingdom titles. So a Polish King of Poland, Lithuania, and Bohemia can form the Polish Empire and the game will automatically create a de jure empire over that area.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pakled posted:

When you get some number of kingdom titles (3, I think?), you'll get the decision to form an empire called [culture] Empire with de jure territory covering all of your current kingdom titles. So a Polish King of Poland, Lithuania, and Bohemia can form the Polish Empire and the game will automatically create a de jure empire over that area.

Really? It worked better before when you just created a titular title.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, I'm not sure where that idea came from, but it's still just (a LOT of) titular titles for each culture and a few extras, no de jure assignment gimmicks or anything. I suppose we will keep them around since I think the new system will be DLC-only, but no way to tell until the patch drops.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Rumda posted:

Yeah this happens to all actual members of the holy orders to prevent things like that happening easily since a vassal holy order especially one controlled by you dynasty is slightly OP.

I think it only happens when they become the leader. There are a number of Poles (and some miscellaneous Pomeranians and such) in the order, just not my brother.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Deus Rex posted:

I think it only happens when they become the leader. There are a number of Poles (and some miscellaneous Pomeranians and such) in the order, just not my brother.

Correct. Each holy order has a hard-coded culture that the leader automatically converts to.

I found that out the hard way when I reformed Romuva as a Prussian and discovered that I couldn't vassalize the Chosen of Perkunas because they're Lettigallians. Also, giving them territory in your de jure kingdom/empire doesn't work either.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

This guy's never played a patrician before.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It might be nice to be able to have multiple murder plots going at once in order to make up for the loss of diplomacy stabbing - maybe with your overall plot power decreasing the more of them you have.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This guy's never played a patrician before.

Yeah, with a pretty small republic of Essex, I was pulling in 160 ducats a month in profit. I had payouts of 350 ducats a month to family members, so if I had landed all of them I would have been making over 500 ducats a month in profit.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

A while back I turned off the "You can create a title!" thing at the top. How do I turn that back on?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It might be nice to be able to have multiple murder plots going at once in order to make up for the loss of diplomacy stabbing - maybe with your overall plot power decreasing the more of them you have.

This is a great idea. Higher state intrigue should give you bonus plots.

Xaioxaiofan
May 14, 2014

Clanpot Shake posted:

A while back I turned off the "You can create a title!" thing at the top. How do I turn that back on?

There's a section you can add to the outliner about disabled messages/alerts, it should be listed in there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I can understand removing the assassinate button, but I'm still a bit salty about it. If they wanted to make plots more necessary, perhaps have the decision to hire an assassin, for the same amount of money as the assassinate button cost. This sends them to that characters court, where they add a lot of plot power, perhaps enough to do the deed, but it works with the plot system, and you could add events where the target finds out about this and can try and bribe them/convince them or whatever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bold Robot posted:

This is a great idea. Higher state intrigue should give you bonus plots.

Successfully fire three plots in a row and you can fill up the bar to get a mega-bonus plot with the base plot power, plus the combined plot power in excess of 100% of all three prior plots! Plot COMBO!

:ssj:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you like roleplaying in CKII, but wish there were more wizards and demon babies, I have a play-by-post game for you.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
So I've got a bit of a conundrum on my hands.

Playing as Britannia, I married into the Kingdom of France, then set my sights on Aquitaine. The Queen refused to marry me unless it's matrilineal, but we're the same dynasty so whatever. A few years go by and we have a son.

Problem is, I already have a son from a previous marriage who's set to inherit Britannia + France. The youngest son is set to inherit Aquitane. Just to make things a little more annoying, there's about half a dozen extra sons in between those two.

So what's the best way to finagle this so I end up with all three territories? I considered switching to ultimogeniture, but my character is getting pretty old. I very much doubt the kid would live through regency with a busload of older siblings tripping over each other to drown him in the bathtub.

TITY BOI fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 25, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is kind of weird that rulers are just expected to be able to juggle several angry, ambitious vassals at once, but are at the same time completely incapable of leading two plots at once, especially considering that they do basically nothing in the plots - it's the members that do all the work.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TITY BOI posted:

Playing as Britannia, I married into the Kingdom of France, then set my sights on Aquitaine. The Queen refused to marry me unless it's matrilineal, but we're the same dynasty so whatever. A few years go by and we have a son.

Problem is, I already have a son from a previous marriage who's set to inherit Britannia + France. The youngest son is set to inherit Aquitane. Just to make things a little more annoying, there's about half a dozen extra sons in between those two.

So what's the best way to finagle this so I end up with all three territories? I considered switching to ultimogeniture, but my character is getting pretty old. I very much doubt the kid would live through regency with a busload of older siblings tripping over each other to drown him in the bathtub.

Just wait until the next generation...You have like 4-600 years to enact all of your plots.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I was playing around as a vassal for a change once again and noticed something fun: if you get given the Cupbearer title and have the Deceitful trait you can get an event where you poison your liege for shits and giggles.

My liege picked up the Lunatic trait from this (probably from him going crazy from the poison?) which made plotting to stab him more easy. What other events like this are there that rely on your honorary titles? I'm imagining the Keeper of the Swans sicing a flight of crazy swans on their liege.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TITY BOI posted:

Kill your wife, then her son.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
One thing about plots I've never understood is that when one of the plot members come to you with a plan, you can't decide if you want to go through with that specific one. Depending on the targets traits there are certain plans that have a much higher chance of failure so you should get to decide if you want to chance it, if you really need to kill the person ASAP, or wait for a better plan. When plots were first introduced I assumed this lack of choice was either a bug or just not implemented yet, so it's weird to me that you're still forced to accept even the most retarded plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ratpick posted:

I was playing around as a vassal for a change once again and noticed something fun: if you get given the Cupbearer title and have the Deceitful trait you can get an event where you poison your liege for shits and giggles.

My liege picked up the Lunatic trait from this (probably from him going crazy from the poison?) which made plotting to stab him more easy. What other events like this are there that rely on your honorary titles? I'm imagining the Keeper of the Swans sicing a flight of crazy swans on their liege.

If you become Chief Qadi and are Cruel, you can have people stoned to death.

• Locked thread