Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Disco posted:

2 week chat ban: racism.

:arghfist::saddowns:

(I did eventually get my ban reversed after 2 days after contacting forum mods. Still idiotic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

ghetto wormhole posted:

Whenever I spectate pubbies I'm constantly screaming internally for them to do this but no one ever does :(

I swear I know that I should do this but I had never seen a video as clear as this.

Also I keep trying to complete barrel rolls instead of just transitioning into yo-yos. I am bad at this game.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Yo-yos are so simple but effective especially against inexperienced opponents that think stalling on purpose is a good defense and naturally default to turning in flat circles the moment they're engaged.

that player is bad, please do not fly 109s like this.

Thief fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 24, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My favourite trick (both to do and to see it done) is a stall into hammerhead maneuver while getting chased by someone with a higher stall speed.

By the way, is the wing durability thing a bug or something? I've been enjoying the hell out of it, Hurricanes are now mean planes and I just got an ace on a match against Bf109s. A pubbie got mad at me and shot me full of .50 rounds but I could still fly, even though my wings were in pretty bad shape so I dunno.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My favorite post

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Azran posted:

By the way, is the wing durability thing a bug or something? I've been enjoying the hell out of it, Hurricanes are now mean planes and I just got an ace on a match against Bf109s. A pubbie got mad at me and shot me full of .50 rounds but I could still fly, even though my wings were in pretty bad shape so I dunno.

It might be a broken thing, but it rewards the gently caress out of players who know not to get shot in the first place and who have been subconsciously training themselves to aim slightly off kilter for tank fires/aileron crits/flap crits/wing separation/gear crits for the last year or so. My dumb MC 200 frag vid was pretty much entirely wing crits and knockoffs, and that was before wing madness, but there was basically nothing else an Italian gun could hurt.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just caught Reaganomics and Cooldoc_Holliday flying B-17s in RB, a shameful goons :colbert:

Reaganomics shot me down because I am bad

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even in tier IV RB idiots will chase you into a prop hang all the time, so learning the best way to stall-flip your plane is important. Usually killing the throttle and some flaps adjustment helps, followed by raising them and going WEP so you can blast that near-stationary idiot o pieces.

Best kill today though was on a Ju87 on Sicily who was outrunning my Typhoon or something. He's flying straight so I pepper him with cannon fire and get nothing, until a burst from 900m+ out knocks out the pilot.

The one skill I need to improve is detecting an enemy's energy, because sometimes I get caught off-guard by doing a climb after a dive and someone who is believed to be hanging out low manages to gain on me in a climb like it's RB. :downs: I blame the radar.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ghetto wormhole posted:

He at least gets the defense of being a bomber fan since day 1, rather than a FotM B-17 player.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The Orange Mage posted:

The one skill I need to improve is detecting an enemy's energy, because sometimes I get caught off-guard by doing a climb after a dive and someone who is believed to be hanging out low manages to gain on me in a climb like it's RB. :downs: I blame the radar.

Some people seem to like to speed along the deck just so they can spring up at you like a trap door spider.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

mlmp08 posted:

He at least gets the defense of being a bomber fan since day 1, rather than a FotM B-17 player.

Bombers are cool when flying in groups but otherwise they're just sort of flying pinatas for Axis 30mms. Guardian Angels is the best event in the game but outside of events there's really not much you can do to make bomber gameplay anything but boring.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just caught Reaganomics and Cooldoc_Holliday flying B-17s in RB, a shameful goons :colbert:

You should have brought more guns.

I commented on it to my friend on Mumble. I said 'Ah ha! I shot down a goon!' and then a second later 'Oh gently caress there's another one shittt'

mlmp08 posted:

It's true. I have bought and played every single bomber in the game. I've spaded all the Wellingtons, most of the German strategic bombers, etc. People still call me out as a fighter fanboy when I say the current AB/RB meta can be a bit bomber centric sometimes and could do with some tweaking. :shrug:

Bombers in RBs are particularly good because the big fat slow fuckers that spawn in the air give you plenty of time to read on the way to the fight.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Some people think these posts are jokes, but holy poo poo. I watched a Kite couple (they eat bugs) energy trap the gently caress out of some LBBs (Little Brown Birds) that were loving with the Kites by their nest when they had fresh hatch-lings. They just yo-yo'd hard and murdered two brids in the span of maybe 10 seconds and the rest of the LBBs hosed right off while the Kites went back to their nest.

That POV was probably the coolest poo poo I've seen in a long time. The sound of the wind screaming as the Falcon dove gave me chills.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Limping back to the only airstrip I can make it to in my Pe-2 on a single engine, I see a P51 and Yak-9 engaged in an equal-energy low-altitude dogfight above the airfield. Surely my pubbie ally can't gently caress up a fight in such advantageous territory, right?

gently caress :negative:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Every pubbie in this game can get hosed; they'll sure as hell dive after planes you've de-winged to get a kill, but gently caress you if someone gets on your rear end.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/178294-update-24092014-server-update/

quote:

Server Update
  • Amount of available re-spawns in ground forces arcade have been limited to three to improve battle dynamics and increase variety of tactical situations.
  • Damage Model
    - Strength capacity of aircraft frameworks have been fixed
    - Material capability of engines, fuel and cooling systems have been fixed. It was harder to inflict significant damage to them prior to that.
    - Visual effects from different leaks (oil, water, fuel) and engine damage have been improved
    - Damage effect on inner modules has been fixed

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BadOptics posted:

Every pubbie in this game can get hosed; they'll sure as hell dive after planes you've de-winged to get a kill, but gently caress you if someone gets on your rear end.

I mostly just wish that german pubbies would develop defensive strategies beyond "go into a vertical helldive until you run out of altitude" and "turn towards allies exactly when they're diving on your pursuer". I want to help them, but gently caress giving up 2000+m of altitude just to get one spit while there are still plenty of enemies overhead.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I don't know if it was a proper energy trap but I took the first Typhoon out and fought with a 109 who eventually pulled up and climbed away with me on his tail, only to stall and flatten out long before I did, quickly ending up like
code:
/__109__<
    /|
   |T|
   |Y|
   /^|
And then I killed him for presenting like a gorilla on heat

e: Guardian Angels is on and I'd like to hear what you folks think about jet BR. 229 at 7.0, if we pretend that all pilots were equally skilled, would that make sense with its FM if it changes only to improve acceleration enough to render it able to take actually take off?
I want a jet that has a chance of catching the never-ending F80C pilots who run away and flee that we have no chance to catch and often no planes to take out ground targets with because most times the enemy lead is too huge, but I'll be okay with a turnfighting mofo that has to suffer too, as long as the matchmaking improves to not force 5+ minute queues. Frustration.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 24, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Known bugs:
    Japanese .30, Hispanos and NS-23K now damage own plane when fired
    Pilot hitbox moved to right wingtip (left wingtip on tri-engine planes)
    Erroneously added F22 to US tier 3

According to Lasser HE rounds are broken or something? :shrug:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

code:
/__109__<
    /|
   |T|
   |Y|
   /^|

We've reached peak longhair

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The fixed damage model makes things so much more enjoyable it's not even funny. Sure, getting hit with a solid burst will likely still cripple you to the point where you're marked for death anyways, but still having some control over your plane until the very end makes it far less frustrating than just getting blasted apart out of nowhere from a glancing hit. It also means that planes with bloopguns now actually bring something unique to the table again: http://gfycat.com/DeliciousReliableArchaeopteryx :getin:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 24, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Spawning everything was the one thing I liked about arcade. Who wants 'tactical situations' in arcade? Press W, shoot tanks.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Depression: that moment when you realise that you know you are at best an average virtual-pilot(tm) and you still manage to out perform pubbies.

I got the only 2 kill credits on my team, I have no idea what happened to the 2 guys on my team who didn't get tagged as being killed as we lost on total team kill. Likewise I have no idea what happened to the 5 enemy planes that I didn't kill who are showing as being shot down or for that matter what happened to the one guy from our team credited as being killed who doesn't show up as a victory on the other team's scores.

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it's a mix of the ground being a harsh enemy and pubbies killing each other for kill stealing.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

It's possible they crashed. I have taken critical damage from someone before, but was able to keep my plane in the air for several minutes. By the time I finally did crash nobody got the kill, it just showed as me crashing.

The pubbie behind this B-25 spent the rest of the match sperging about how I stole his kill. It's not my fault he is an idiot trailing a B-25 from behind in a fighter. I ended up running out of gas and coasting to an airfield to end the match. Too bad it counts as a plane loss when you do that.

BubbaGrace fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
These days you get either mindless retards for company, or competent fine people that you wish you could be bothered to PM afterwards to thank them for a great job.

Safest to fly axis or GB but that's not saying much, sometimes even if they had had equivalent weaponry JP teams have made the average US pubbie team look great.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/178306-special-major-richard-ira-dick-bong/

Good news everyone, it's Dick Bong Day!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It figures that the P-80 is such a piece of poo poo, it even killed Dick Bong.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

quote:

On August 6th 1945, the same day as the Enola Gay dropped the atom bomb on Hiroshima, Richard Ira Bong was killed during a routine flight when he was forced to bail out of his P80 after a fuel pump malfunction. He was too close to the ground for his parachute to open.

Man.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
oh Dick Bong day. That's a pretty aweseome nick/name combo.

:911:.jpg it's a PNG

It's not the kills :911: did, it's the kills the :ussr: didn't do. Please note that almost all :britain: and :911: crashed! Special reward goes to the Hurricane pilot who intended to take off with a 90° angle to the runway direction. On Korea. :cripes:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Hey, the best capture I ever made was 90° to the runway. I came in like a retard and skidded sideways to a halt by slamming into the back wall of the inside of a hangar.

It turns out that if you hide inside a hangar the enemy can't shoot you from most directions and you can still cap the field.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Well planes are definitely more durable now.

I now have a lot more time to dwell on the mistakes that led to me being on fire.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gimnbo posted:

Some people seem to like to speed along the deck just so they can spring up at you like a trap door spider.

That's pretty much the only way a Dornier 217 can catch a B25 that decides to go ground attack, build some speed on a slow dive, then pop up and try to catch it.

I hate the 217. Can anyone dissuade me from this horrifically prejudiced opinion? I'm probably going to relegate it to a lawnmower.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bombers in RBs are particularly good because the big fat slow fuckers that spawn in the air give you plenty of time to read on the way to the fight.

First thing I do in a bomber is take a long, lazy circle around behind the fighters, because gently caress flying into a crowd of angry fighters.

So, the B25. OP or the most OP?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Hav posted:

So, the B25. OP or the most OP?

That crown has to go to the British Havoc. Do you know any other plane than proudly proclaims that it's been on fire?:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Dev is up for another 4h30m :getin:

(Try taking off with the 229 - WT forum users who hate everything who didn't serve and get put into use think that's right. It does seem slightly changed though.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 24, 2014

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Always sucks to hear that. Didn't Knispel die like the day before VE-Day?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

MrLonghair posted:

Dev is up for another 4h30m :getin:

(Try taking off with the 229 - WT forum users who hate everything who didn't serve and get put into use think that's right. It does seem slightly changed though.)

I don't have the dev server and probably won't be able to get it set up in time to fly it, what is wrong with the 229? Similar takeoff roll length of the F-84? Otherwise it's a good plane though right? Right? :smith:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Decided to poke my head into this after a several month break. Noticing some nice little QOL UI stuff has been added (checkboxes for servers), and RB tanks is pretty cool now. Seems like there aren't many players around though, didn't get into a SB game yet to see what it's like nowadays. (it's what I used to always play WT tanks at, though when flying I go AB).

Been rocking face with the second Pz 38(t) and had some fun blasting fools with the SU-122, but jesus the first T-34 almost did my head in. It seems like I always get crippled by the first enemy shot, and unless I can sneak up on someone and take my time aiming at a vulnerable spot my first shot just breaks the enemy's coffee maker or something, and then they cripple me and pick me apart at their leisure.
Fortunately I just unlocked the next tank in line, and seeing as how it's the same goddamn BR with a more potent gun, I don't think I'll bother spading the 1940 any time soon.

And I see there's a pretty big patch upcoming. Lots of nice looking changes. Though to be honest I'd rather see some other nations getting their tank trees instead of a bunch of stuff added to the existing ones. I want my Matilda, goddamnit!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 24, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr Darcy posted:

That crown has to go to the British Havoc. Do you know any other plane than proudly proclaims that it's been on fire?:

The Havoc being a tier I premium and vastly more effective than it's tier brothers meant I felt a little guilty for buying it. A little. if only it had the US bazookas.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Updated patch notes: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/177292-dev-server-143-preliminary-patch-notes/

quote:

New arcade tank battle mode

The destruction of enemy vehicles now adds an opportunity to activate a special “aerial battle”, where players can participate in the form of temporary flyouts using an attacker or bomber.

The activation of an aerial battle grants other players the possibility of using a fighter to destroy or protect the initiator of the battle. Players who are in the squad with the initiator will receive a head-start on selecting the fighter

Aircraft used in aerial battles are not aircraft that players have necessarily unlocked - they are specifically set for the mission. Those aircraft require no repair or leveling and progress on them will go towards tank progress.

Artillery support mechanics have been re-worked. Now they can be stored to a maximum of three strikes and will also require enemy vehicle destruction to be activated.
More details in the upcoming DevBlog

quote:

Flight model:

More accurate calculation of the induction coefficient depending on Mach number;
The simulation of piston engines at high altitude has been improved;
For some engines there were automatically controlled engine superchargers added to increase efficiency on every step;
LaGG-3-34 has been tuned according to the data sheet
LaGG-3-35 has been tuned according to the data sheet
LaGG-3-66 has been tuned according to the data sheet
LaGG-3-8/11 engine-propeller combination properties have been specified (added takeoff mode for M-105P engine), improved takeoff and landing characteristics
F6F-3 has been tuned according to the data sheet
F4F-3 has been tuned according to the data sheet
B-17E/G maximum possible structural load of the aircraft was re-calculated (will be destroyed during overload
B-24-D has been tuned according to the data sheet
Lancaster Mk.III has been tuned according to the data sheet
Lancaster Mk.I has been tuned according to the data sheet
Beaufighter Mk.VIc has been tuned according to the data sheet
Beaufighter Mk.X has been tuned according to the data sheet
Beaufighter Mk.21 has been tuned according to the data sheet
Bristol Beaufort Mk.VIII has been tuned according to the data sheet
H6K4 has been tuned according to the data sheet
Ki-27b (Otsu) has been tuned according to the data sheet
Ki-96 improved dynamical characteristics (acceleration-deceleration). Landing on full control will be easier now.
M.C.202 has been tuned according to the data sheet
Yak-1 has been tuned according to the data sheet
Yak-9 has been tuned according to the data sheet
N1-K2J/Ja improved dynamical characteristics (acceleration-deceleration). Shortened take-off time. Landing on full control will be easier now.
BF-109 -E1/E3 added fully manual control to speed governor for full engine control (be careful not to break the engine). No changes for automatic controls.

quote:

Armament:

Damage of 4000 lbs British bomb “Cookie” has been fixed;
Added new bomb loads for Avro Lancaster:
14x250lbs bombs
14x1000lbs bombs
1x4000 + 6x1000 + 2x250 lbs bombs
Sight angles for the Do.217 top turret have been fixed;
Sight angles for the AR-2 top turret have been fixed;
Missile munitions have been added for USA jet fighter F-84B;
Order of bomb release was changed for Swordfish Mk.I
Reload time of 15 mm MG 151 cannons have been changed for Arcade. Now they will be 40 seconds for untrained crew.
Added 1000 lbs bombs for underwing holders for Tempest Mk.V and Tempest Mk.II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Lee Outrageous posted:

I don't have the dev server and probably won't be able to get it set up in time to fly it, what is wrong with the 229? Similar takeoff roll length of the F-84? Otherwise it's a good plane though right? Right? :smith:

It's running at test-engine specs (75%) and on the wrong engines, not the ones the Smithsonian got in theirs. Still improved but disgusting take-off. The plane in the hands of skilled capable pilots will whip asses and cause BR-boosts.

Very turny if they figure out the issues but hard to aim and keep on target with since it's got no rear end. (oh and it's a disaster when stock)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 24, 2014

• Locked thread