Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I read somewhere that Apple is already testing 8.0.1, so it'd be best to wait for that before burning an exploit. Based on past expectations I would expect a jailbreak in 4-6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

eddiewalker posted:

There are so many announced features not turned on yet in iOS8, it would be a shame if anyone wasted a jailbreak without waiting for an update.

I always thought it was dumb to release a jailbreak for 7.0.4 considering how bad it was and how much better 7.1 was. Hope they wait for 8.1.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Yes I'd be very surprised if there was a jb before 8.1, I'm sure there are some bugs to be fixed as well as the features to be activated.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a 7.1 JB iPhone 5.

Just got carrier approval unlock with ATT. Their process is to erase/restore to get the unlock applied; obviously I dont really want to do this.

What's the best approach for a JB phone? Not too well versed in unlocking, and googling just pulls up a bunch of phony apps that claim to do the unlock if youre jailbroken, not how to use the carrier approved unlock.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Someone posted a page back or so that a semi restore using iLexRat prompted the carrier unlock to take effect.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hamburlgar posted:

Someone posted a page back or so that a semi restore using iLexRat prompted the carrier unlock to take effect.

Doh, thanks.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

So I read the OP and did some searching, but it's hard to find information. I currently have a Nexus 4 which I love. I am very interested in the iPhone 6, but I think the home screen looks a mess. This is a huge sticking point for me. Hopefully I can offset this by jailbreaking it. I looked at Winterboard a bit, and everything seems to look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Winterboard&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kWQgVMqiHo6ryASKvYHoBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=933&bih=653

Which is even worse. Is there any way to jailbroken iOS look like a nice minimalized Android home screen, like these:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

You can't jailbreak an iPhone 6 right now, as it comes with iOS 8. Unlike Android, where you can root pretty much anything whenever you want, Apple isn't open source, so it's very locked down. An exploit needs to be found first, and that can take time. Personally, I'm not expecting a public (untethered) iOS 8 jailbreak before next year.

Winterboard mainly themes icons. You'll need something else, like Iconoclasm, to make custom layouts, and even then, I think everything still has to be on a grid. There is a jailbreak tweak out there that will shrink app icons, but I haven't used it, so I have no idea how the icons will look when made smaller.

If the look is very important to you, and you don't really like how iOS looks, you're probably better off staying with Android.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Militree posted:

So I read the OP and did some searching, but it's hard to find information. I currently have a Nexus 4 which I love. I am very interested in the iPhone 6, but I think the home screen looks a mess. This is a huge sticking point for me. Hopefully I can offset this by jailbreaking it. I looked at Winterboard a bit, and everything seems to look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Winterboard&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kWQgVMqiHo6ryASKvYHoBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=933&bih=653

Which is even worse. Is there any way to jailbroken iOS look like a nice minimalized Android home screen, like these:

I'm seeing some things that look similar to your second screenshot when I search for "winterboard minimal themes" but like the man above said you're going to be stuck with the default theme until IOS 8 gets hacked.

Edit: also if you are really anal about appearance note that for a minimal theme like some of those black and white winterboard ones, the icons have to be custom made and they will never make matching icons for every app you might download. So you got this really nice looking black and white theme going on and then BAM out of place color icons.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 22, 2014

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Thanks for the answers, guys. I won't be buying a phone for a while, so I'll see what the Nexus X brings and how much that compares with the iPhone 6. I'm a bit disappointed because the hardware of the iPhone 6 is really nice.

Denim Dude posted:

Edit: also if you are really anal about appearance note that for a minimal theme like some of those black and white winterboard ones, the icons have to be custom made and they will never make matching icons for every app you might download. So you got this really nice looking black and white theme going on and then BAM out of place color icons.

I make custom icons to match the set for my Android theme, so the Something Awful and Fantasy Football apps on the home screen don't look out of place. I would probably just do that for iOS, too.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 22, 2014

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a mywi 5.0 license and I need something that works on iOS 7.1.2

Should I pay the $5 for the upgrade to mywi 7.0 or should I get something like TetherMe instead?

I am looking to use it with my iPad over either bt or wifi hotspot.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
For tethering I've had nothing but good luck with PDANet

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Why do you need an app for tethering? Isn't it available already natively?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Bouchacha posted:

People with grandfathered unlimited data plans cannot tether. Atleast not on AT&T.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Mr Hands Colon posted:

People with grandfathered unlimited data plans cannot tether. Atleast not on AT&T.

Right but only PDAnet even tries to mask tethering traffic. Neither MyWi or TetherMe try to do so, so I'm wondering why people buy the latter.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bouchacha posted:

Right but only PDAnet even tries to mask tethering traffic. Neither MyWi or TetherMe try to do so, so I'm wondering why people buy the latter.

TetherMe modifies the hop count and APN in an effort to hide tethering. Anecdotally, I've never raised carrier suspicions in at least 4 years with TetherMe.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Bouchacha posted:

True, I've never had an issue in the past (however, I really don't tether very much) until last week. It was quite odd, about two weeks ago I had to tether in a pinch during a meeting, I used maybe 40mb of data over an hour. Then last week, I get a text message from AT&T:

AT&T text message posted:

"AT&T Free Msg: Using your phone as a mobile hotspot requires a Mobile Share or DataPro 5GB plan. Please call 866-679-7134 or visit att.com/dataplanchoice to update your plan."
I usually use around 6-7gb of data per month, and it is all just data usage (non-tethering) so I was surprised to get that alert. I have been using the paid version of PDANet for years and this is the first time that has happened.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

TetherMe modifies the hop count and APN in an effort to hide tethering. Anecdotally, I've never raised carrier suspicions in at least 4 years with TetherMe.

Anecdotally, I lost my unlimited plan after some infrequent TetherMe usage.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bouchacha posted:

Anecdotally, I lost my unlimited plan after some infrequent TetherMe usage.

How do you know the same wouldn't have happened with the other hacks?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

True, I've never had an issue in the past (however, I really don't tether very much) until last week. It was quite odd, about two weeks ago I had to tether in a pinch during a meeting, I used maybe 40mb of data over an hour. Then last week, I get a text message from AT&T:

I usually use around 6-7gb of data per month, and it is all just data usage (non-tethering) so I was surprised to get that alert. I have been using the paid version of PDANet for years and this is the first time that has happened.

You were using the level 2 hide tether settings?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

How do you know the same wouldn't have happened with the other hacks?

I don't. I was just curious as to why people still paid for those options. About 6 months ago, only PDAnet claimed to hide the traffic. Several years ago before tethering was a legitimate option, there was a purpose to paying $20 for MyWi but now it's just confusing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So no clear winner but no reason to shell out for mywi.

Does PDAnet or TetherMe have a cc toggle?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Militree posted:

Is there any way to jailbroken iOS look like a nice minimalized Android home screen

If it helps, iOS 8 finally lets you move all icons from the home screen, so you can curate a pretty minimized look.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have a mywi 5.0 license and I need something that works on iOS 7.1.2

Should I pay the $5 for the upgrade to mywi 7.0 or should I get something like TetherMe instead?

I am looking to use it with my iPad over either bt or wifi hotspot.

MyWi has given me weird issues with bluetooth connection drops in my car and via Knock with my MacBookPro.

It also for some reason makes siri engage a lot when I wake my phone using the home button. I think this is from a recent libstatusbar (a MyWi dependency) update, because it happened without MyWi installed when I tried out Protean (also dependent upon libstatusbar).

Anyway I removed all of it from my device and haven't had an issue since. I get tethering built in from Verizon anyway so it's not a real big deal.

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bucket Joneses posted:

So no clear winner but no reason to shell out for mywi.

Does PDAnet or TetherMe have a cc toggle?

MyWi was great for me because it allows WiFi sharing--so let's say you have to pay 2.99 for a connection to a public network, you just do it on the phone and then share that connection with any number of your other devices.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

MyWi was great for me because it allows WiFi sharing--so let's say you have to pay 2.99 for a connection to a public network, you just do it on the phone and then share that connection with any number of your other devices.

PDANet does this as well.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

dutchbstrd posted:

PDANet does this as well.

Welp.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think PDAnet was pretty barebones initially and for a while mywi was the only one that did that. I remember PDAnet required a program installed on your PC too

I used mywi for a bit and got the dreaded AT&T text and letter saying "hey you're going to lose your unlimited data." If you do it you'll be caught eventually imo. From what I've googled online. Doesn't matter what app or measures that app takes to hide it or how little of data you used.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Can't you do that with vanilla options as well? I was under the impression that turning on tethering while connected to wifi routed the traffic through the wifi.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bouchacha posted:

Can't you do that with vanilla options as well? I was under the impression that turning on tethering while connected to wifi routed the traffic through the wifi.

Already stated and I don't know about other carriers but with AT&T if you have unlimited data you can't have tethering. It's only available for the limited data plans and I think you might pay extra for it I don't know. Or wait I'm confused. I don't know!

Like my unlimited data.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Unlimited data is the only reason I stay with AT&T. Though to be fair, the LTE coverage has been great so far.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Unlimited until you hit 5GB, then you're throttled to 512Kbps (my testing, others have different numbers). And they have some magic way of detecting tethering that beats both MyWi and PdaNet.

Still great if you're gonna guzzle tons of data streaming music and letting apps run wild like I do, speed be damned.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Any chance this Bash exploit will result in a universal iOS 8 jailbreak?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Doubtful, I don't believe that IOS has bash on it by default.
I have bash as a package in Cydia so I doubt they would need that if it was already there?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ibntumart posted:

Unlimited data is the only reason I stay with AT&T. Though to be fair, the LTE coverage has been great so far.

Same here, and I've gotten some ridiculous speeds on LTE in Chicago.

I've never been throttled though, at least not that I could tell.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

People have been asking this for at least the past half-decade. It's getting kind of old.

No, people cannot just tether at will.

Tethering is controlled by the carrier on stock software. iOS and Android.

It is still blocked by a lot of carriers, requiring people to hack, crack, or load 3rd-party software to get around the restriction.

There was a time on iOS that the ONLY way you could tether was by jailbreaking. Tethering wasn't supported by iOS at all until it had been out for several years, and even then it is still only supported on certain devices.

As of today, something like MyWi is still the only option for many people to turn their iPhone into a hotspot device.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Carriers wanting $gently caress to enable the function that still pulls from the pool of data you already pay for is another reason.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

No need to get all pissy, I had no idea tethering wasn't available on certain carriers. My (inaccurate) impression was that people paid for tethering apps primarily because they wanted to maintain their AT&T plan.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Does anyone remember the name of the tweak that let your music/streaming app play in the background when you are playing a game (or something else that overrides music/streaming apps). For example, I want to be able to listen to TuneIn Radio while playing SSG2 but SSG2 will stop the stream and the game audio takes over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
7.1.2 is no longer being signed, fyi

• Locked thread