Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The GIG posted:

Musou games own and are great to relax with if you have a spare hour or two.

I prefer a ping pong ball, paddle and a brick wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I was so excited for that Fist of the North Star game, I watched the trailer over and over. And then it came out and it was loving lame. I won't be burned again.

HW is getting good early reviews which is a start, we'll see

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hyrule Warriors doesn't have online which is really stupid but it's a fun game at least.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i killed this got drat thread and all the retards in it.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Okay so I think Hyrule Warriors is a neat game. I think it captures the whole "moderately deep fun" thing, and on Hard mode so far a few levels have felt like a pretty tense balancing act!

So, I have a question for the Dynasty Warriors fans.

I always thought that game looked truly boring and awful. Compared to Hyrule Warriors how much is there different? Do the enemies have the same level of uh, variance (so, enough, not stunning amounts generally)?. Do the keeps/balancing how much you need to focus on different parts of the battlefield play the same role and are they more or less complex? How does the game remain fun when everything is like, mostly shades of red and brown?

Also I've downloaded Kickbeat, and gently caress this game is pretty hard. This is coming from someone who has a lot of experience of rhythm games!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

TheRam posted:

I always thought that game looked truly boring and awful. Compared to Hyrule Warriors how much is there different? Do the enemies have the same level of uh, variance (so, enough, not stunning amounts generally)?. Do the keeps/balancing how much you need to focus on different parts of the battlefield play the same role and are they more or less complex? How does the game remain fun when everything is like, mostly shades of red and brown?

Every single Dynasty Warriors game is the exact same thing. Like in terms of gameplay, if you've played one you have played them all. The main differences are just cosmetic upgrades, improvements to the basic gameplay and the number of playable characters. Like anyone who has played DW before probably looked at HW gameplay and instantly knew how it was going to play. You move from square to square until people stop shouting for you to kill all the dudes, then you kill a big dude or a couple big dudes and you win. rinse, repeat

They've done crossover Musous before and as a general rule they are bad and not anywhere as lovingly-crafted as the Zelda one looks to be.

Excels fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 24, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Dynasty Warriors 8 is pretty great because you can play normal while stoned and just do the mash attack button thing that people use to deride the gameplay, but on hard difficulties and above all the enemy officers become really aggressive and strong and even use their musou attacks against you, so it's actually a fun challenge that requires reflexes and thought.

Also the game may look like mostly shades of red and brown in screenshots but in action it's colorful anime powerup poo poo every few attacks, which is rad.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

a Loving Dog posted:

i killed this got drat thread and all the retards in it.

Good job! :waycool:

EDIT: was just remembering when the Nu 3DS was announced and Stux had to make fun of it in the Xbox thread :lol:

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 24, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Every single Dynasty Warriors game is the exact same thing. Like in terms of gameplay, if you've played one you have played them all. The main differences are just cosmetic upgrades, improvements to the basic gameplay and the number of playable characters. Like anyone who has played DW before probably looked at HW gameplay and instantly knew how it was going to play. You move from square to square until people stop shouting for you to kill all the dudes, then you kill a big dude or a couple big dudes and you win. rinse, repeat

This is actually completely inaccurate. Something like Orochi 3 plays different from DW8 which plays different from Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn (to use the three most recent releases.) They have the same core "press weak-weak-strong" gameplay but a lot of differences and variations in design and quality.

I mean the core gameplay of "kill a lot of motherfuckers" is there no matter what, but in different ways. Orochi 3 has huge maps, three-man teams, and an emphasis on plot missions and huge numbers. It also has a much greater variation between characters DW8 is smaller with an emphasis on juggling and weapon switching and a greater individual focus on enemy officers (who you tear through like butter in Orochi.) Characters have little variation but can use every weapon in the game. DWG:R is about capturing fields which take up places on a fairly generic map and is kind of bad and mostly about spamming musou until the enemy dies.

Hyrule Warriors seems closes to DW8 in gameplay but with stronger focus on individual characters and with actual boss fights and more focused level design.

Liking one DW game sure doesn't mean you'll like them all. The FotNS Musou games are basically poo poo and DWG isn't much better, while Hyrule Warriors appears to actually be pretty good.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 24, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I equate musou games with pokemon. If you like that style of game, anything they give you is good. If you don't like it, everything they give you is bad. And it's all based on a compulsive personality trait.

You can't spend 4 hours grinding and not have a compulsive personality.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Fremry posted:

I equate musou games with pokemon. If you like that style of game, anything they give you is good. If you don't like it, everything they give you is bad. And it's all based on a compulsive personality trait.

You can't spend 4 hours grinding and not have a compulsive personality.

The trick is to have a buddy that grinds out all the high-level weapons for you to use when the two of you play co-op. Boring parts of games are for other people!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U saved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spD40KSnYXs

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

this game is gonna be so good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

When is the next Pokemon game tell me

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Finally a game for the Wii U that the average hardcore gamer can appreciate.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

orange juche posted:

When is the next Pokemon game tell me

there's pokken which is still in development, and......... the gen3 remakes in november.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am not playing another DW game

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am not playing another DW game

but this one does the zelda things and make the rupee sound

it even has the bug girl

and you can be any version of the cast you like best

also, you can hit goblins with a chain-chomp.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Also, DW games rule

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

like if you werent slamming down a preorder as soon as they showed that you can hookshot the loving moon into your enemies i don't know what the gently caress you want out of a video game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I've just played enough variations of DW games, no more please

I'm like that guy in Se7en who was forced to eat himself to death but with DW games

If I play another one I will literally die

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the only thing i'm not really looking forward to on Wii U is 99% of games forcing me to use a wiimote or the big-rear end gamepad. i just want to play games on a normal sized GC controller forever come on nintendo

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

thank god hyrule warriors and smash are finally coming out, I've been really regretting buying my friends wii u

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Excels posted:

the only thing i'm not really looking forward to on Wii U is 99% of games forcing me to use a wiimote or the big-rear end gamepad. i just want to play games on a normal sized GC controller forever come on nintendo

Im really not feeling gyro-aiming for first person shooters. got really tired of it in nintendoland, and its a big reason starfox and splatoon (also being multiplayer only and full price) aren't really grabbing me.

I hated that poo poo on the vita too

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Won't they just let you use the Pro controller?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Im really not feeling gyro-aiming for first person shooters. got really tired of it in nintendoland, and its a big reason starfox and splatoon (also being multiplayer only and full price) aren't really grabbing me.

I hated that poo poo on the vita too

Gyro aiming for Splatoon looked like an option rather than a necessity.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Geight posted:

Gyro aiming for Splatoon looked like an option rather than a necessity.

Joystick aiming is idiot garbage for dogs. Anybody who wants that over gyro aiming should buy an xbone and beat themselves to death with it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dogs aren't even good at joystick aiming either, they are much better strapping a wiimote to their head

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Anyone who regrets buying a Wii U should probably take a good long look at themselves and ask

Am I a Gamer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Widestancer posted:

Anyone who regrets buying a Wii U should probably take a good long look at themselves and ask

Am I a Gamer

But answering that "yes" means you feel a deep sense of self-loathing and shame. Is that what makes you buy a Wii U?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

But answering that "yes" means you feel a deep sense of self-loathing and shame. Is that what makes you buy a Wii U?

People buy the Wii U because it's a fun system to play on with their friends

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Self-loathing and shame is why people do things like clean up their lives and do more positive things like buying and playing Wii U friend :)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Widestancer posted:

Am I a Gamer

We should consult with the current governing body of Gamer Representatives, Hashtag GamerGate

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

i'm a gamer because i buy and play virtual games on my tv.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Excels posted:

i'm a gamer because i buy and play virtual games on my tv.

i dunno, i play video games but no fuckin way do i ever want to be associated with gamers and their "culture". it's a diversion, not a lifestyle.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

i dunno, i play video games but no fuckin way do i ever want to be associated with gamers and their "culture". it's a diversion, not a lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

RZA Encryption posted:

same

but it is what i do like 100% of the day that isn't work school making love or cleaning or eating so like idk what else can i identify as?

besides lover vaccuum eater worker student?

• Locked thread