Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Scarlet Harlequin Indigo Turquoise

Who would have thought that we would be able to match the Mahouka thread. :allears:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Last I check, Cardinal, Coffee, and Sun aren't colors?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

'things that make you think of colors'

come on step it up

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

the last three pages posted:

many posts arguing about objectively wrong opinions

hello friends. I like Ruby. She spergs about weapons which is amusing. Gosh this show is fun

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Do you think this is a game you fucker

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Butt Ghost posted:

Do you think this is a game you fucker

Some Reddit gently caress posted:

RWBY Game?
Monty said He knows the stats of the characters so It would translate very well, but there is no plan to make one right now.

This is the most interesting part of the interview for me. Fighting game or no, I would absolutely LOVE a data book to be published with stats like this on each of the characters

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

That color stuff is just imagination limiting nonsense. I'd try to make up some absurd commonality to build a RWBY team, but I can't beat what's already cannon: JNPR is made up of legendary characters who at some point went crossdressing (Thor/Achilles/Joan of Arc/Hua Mulan).

So colors? gently caress that. Make a team based on gender swapped Mister Clean, Scrubbing Bubbles, Brawny Man, and the Jolly Green Giant. Teams like MSBJ could be fan-fic-loving-fantastic.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Take out the gender swap part and we'll talk.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Ferretts posted:

That color stuff is just imagination limiting nonsense. I'd try to make up some absurd commonality to build a RWBY team, but I can't beat what's already cannon: JNPR is made up of legendary characters who at some point went crossdressing (Thor/Achilles/Joan of Arc/Hua Mulan).

So colors? gently caress that. Make a team based on gender swapped Mister Clean, Scrubbing Bubbles, Brawny Man, and the Jolly Green Giant. Teams like MSBJ could be fan-fic-loving-fantastic.

So it's a RWBY/Food Fight crossover?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Endorph posted:

'things that make you think of colors'

come on step it up

So literally anything, then.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Neeksy posted:

So literally anything, then.

Now you're on the right track! :haw:

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Take out the gender swap part and we'll talk.

Alright, then we'll replace Scrubbing Bubbles with Ronald McDonald and call the team MRBJ. Ronald will of course struggle with diabetes induced dirt poor endurance, while Mister Clean develops clearly epic combos with Brawny Man. However, Brawny will be forced to call them all out adding to the internal strife following Dr. Ozpin's choice of a mute as team leader.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Snow White's German name is Schneewittchen, not WEISS SCHNEE

That's my contribution to this sperg party

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Well that's just your opinion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

icantfindaname posted:

Snow White's German name is Schneewittchen, not WEISS SCHNEE

That's my contribution to this sperg party

Outside of all the bad dialogue and cringe-worthy aethetics, really, the thing that annoys me the most is that they pronounce Weiss with an english "w" instead of a hard "v".

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

AlternateNu posted:

Outside of all the bad dialogue and cringe-worthy aethetics, really, the thing that annoys me the most is that they pronounce Weiss with an english "w" instead of a hard "v".

And then when someone said this, Monty apparently said "gently caress you!" verbatim, which isn't exactly the most tactful way of admitting you're wrong.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Also, german words pronounced properly are great. That's why animes love them. If you're not even gonna pronounce it properly there's no point.

"Like I love anime and am gonna make my own and do all the things animes I like do, but actually not at all. gently caress you" - Monty Oum

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well did you ever create anything?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

hosed up bbcode?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I technically worked on RWBY. I'm a computer technician in Rooster Teeth's area. One day I asked Burnie 'hey what's with all the broken keyboards you keep sending me?'

Okay that's all a lie. The real answer is, I create lies. Lies are creations. I am a creator. A story-teller. It's like anime, but with words instead of boob drawings.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

The hype train has no brakes

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

KasaiAisu posted:

CAMPER Jonathan would like to battle!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ferretts posted:

Well, I mean, RWBY is kind of the Foodfight! of anime so...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Well, I mean, RWBY is kind of the Foodfight! of anime so...

Man, I wish. Foodfight is the special kind of bad. It's like peeling an onion, there are just so many layers and the deeper you go the weirder it gets.

Since RWBY cribs so much from shonen anime and young adult stuff, there's not even a morbidly fascinating terrible message underneath it all.

I mean, Foodfight wants to say that generic brands are literally Nazis. Something like Sword Art Online says that excessive escapism is actually cool and good, instead of bad. Mahouka? The poor and downtrodden deserve to be crushed.

As far as I can tell, RWBY is just giving off generic messages about friendship being good because that's what they tend to emphasize in the stuff it wants to be. That's no fun to dissect at all! There's a reason why people talk about the thoughts behind its creation when criticizing the show. It's just a much more interesting thing to talk about.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 26, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

KasaiAisu posted:

Maybe RWBY is actually good.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

And then when someone said this, Monty apparently said "gently caress you!" verbatim, which isn't exactly the most tactful way of admitting you're wrong.

Definitely not. Later the guy he told to gently caress off went and switched the 'v' and 'w' characters on his keyboard as a kind of layered payback and you know what happened? Monty went to the guy's house and shot his Labrador.

The dog is fine now, fully recovered and being a Labrador still loving loves Monty, but it's still messed up if you think about it.

Oh. And about episode 8... That was pretty awful, not gonna lie.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 26, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not a very funny joke dude

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ferretts posted:

Definitely not. Later the guy he told to gently caress off went and switched the 'v' and 'w' characters on his keyboard as a kind of layered payback and you know what happened? Monty went to the guy's house and shot his Labrador.

The dog is fine now, fully recovered and being a Labrador still loving loves Monty, but it's still messed up if you think about it.

Jesus, I wasn't really on the side of the other guy getting really mad at your asinine responses but after that "joke" you must have the media taste equivalent of a gutter palate if you thought anyone would find that amusing or funny in the slightest.

As much as people have posted that even though RWBY is popular its consumed by people with poo poo taste and doesn't make the show objectively good in any capacity, and as defensive as you get, you're coming off as the absolute definition of a RWBY fan; someone with no taste, consumes lovely media en masse and defends it with "go make something better :smug:" and likely in general makes conversations awkward and uncomfortable with what you think passes for wit.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 26, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ferretts posted:

Was that, like, a reference or something? I'm not... quite sure what you're going for here?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He's trying to make fun of people who said Monty might be crazy (i.e. me) in probably the most tasteless and also most unfunny way possible

I mean it doesn't even work, no one made up anything about Monty. You could maybe go for a "you guys are blowing up a small thing" angle by massively over-exaggerating something. It wouldn't be funny still but what we got instead was something just plain dumb.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

He's trying to make fun of people who said Monty might be crazy (i.e. me) in probably the most tasteless and also most unfunny way possible

I mean it doesn't even work, no one made up anything about Monty. You could maybe go for a "you guys are blowing up a small thing" angle by massively over-exaggerating something. It wouldn't be funny still but what we got instead was something just plain dumb.

I didn't even bother trying to parse the Labrador thing, because if I understood enough about Monty to maybe get whatever reference he was trying to make I'd probably hurl myself off a bridge.

This thread's OP went from "Hah, yeah this is a weird anime inspired internet show but its an amusing distraction" to "Oh, you want to criticize the work and the creators? Must be high up on your pedestal judgmental scum go make your own version if you think you can do better also tons of great works were made by quirky people Monty is just like them"

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Ferretts, not to police you or anything, but you should go back to trying to smokescreen yourself with silly jokes about fan-characters. You don't seem to be up to the task of defending the show/Oum.

It would have been more funny if you'd replaced 'labrador' with 'anime'.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

It would have been more funny if you'd replaced 'labrador' with 'anime'.

"Definitely not. Later the guy he told to gently caress off went and switched the 'v' and 'w' characters on his keyboard as a kind of layered payback and you know what happened? Monty went to the guy's house and shot his anime.

The anime is fine now, fully recovered and being an anime still loving loves Monty, but it's still messed up if you think about it."

Eh. I give it a 6/10. There is potential here.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

It does, however, lay bare the real relationship at play between the show and its fans.

"I love RWBY, because RWBY loves me!"

Another example: I'm not saying the Plinkett reviews aren't worth watching or shouldn't be popular, but their popularity is in part because the fans have always thought the prequels were bad but were never quite sure why - beyond cultural touchstones like jarjar being bad or whatever. Those videos fulfil their own desire for the prequels to be as bad as they think they are. Similarly, RWBY is 'good' because calling it good retroactively validates your decision to watch it and shows like it. This is why there's so much fanfiction. The fans, on some level, are aware that the show exists as their own wish fulfillment, so they are adapting it to fulfill their wishes in a more specific and personal way.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

pentyne posted:

after that "joke" you must have the media taste equivalent of a gutter palate if you thought anyone would find that amusing or funny in the slightest.

Coming from someone who doesn't recognize the comedy gold that is RWBY.

FYI: I edited the OP to be more reasonable and less insane. For what it's worth, thanks for the albeit brutal reality check.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 26, 2014

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

It does, however, lay bare the real relationship at play between the show and its fans.

"I love RWBY, because RWBY loves me!"

Another example: I'm not saying the Plinkett reviews aren't worth watching or shouldn't be popular, but their popularity is in part because the fans have always thought the prequels were bad but were never quite sure why - beyond cultural touchstones like jarjar being bad or whatever. Those videos fulfil their own desire for the prequels to be as bad as they think they are. Similarly, RWBY is 'good' because calling it good retroactively validates your decision to watch it and shows like it. This is why there's so much fanfiction. The fans, on some level, are aware that the show exists as their own wish fulfillment, so they are adapting it to fulfill their wishes in a more specific and personal way.

I don't know about you, but when I watch something I don't like, I stop watching. I hated Avatar: Legend of Korra and still haven't watched the third season because of it. Are you saying that the existence of fanfiction means the show is bad? Because that means everything, everywhere, is terrible. I'm pretty sure the enormous amount of fanfiction/art is just because RWBY appeals to the same demographic as, say, Homestuck.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

KasaiAisu posted:

I don't know about you, but when I watch something I don't like, I stop watching. I hated Avatar: Legend of Korra and still haven't watched the third season because of it. Are you saying that the existence of fanfiction means the show is bad? Because that means everything, everywhere, is terrible. I'm pretty sure the enormous amount of fanfiction/art is just because RWBY appeals to the same demographic as, say, Homestuck.

It's not that the show is bad, it's that the show hasn't completely satisfied something in the particular viewer - but since they want the show to be good (for reasons I explored before), they are taking it into their own hands to 'rectify' that.

"This show would be perfect if X happened instead" is the central conceit of fanfiction - a simultaneous admission that one likes, or wants to like, the show but that they are a better creator than its originator (and, in a sense, they are - who better knows what show they want to see than the audience?). Plenty of joke fanfictions parody this attitude mercilessly, but the ultimate punchline is that sometimes the fan-work is so different you can literally change the names and make millions on Kindle. RWBY itself smacks of fanfiction but with the edges sawn off in a similar manner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

"This show would be perfect if X happened instead" is the central conceit of fanfiction - a simultaneous admission that one likes, or wants to like, the show but that they are a better creator than its originator (and, in a sense, they are - who better knows what show they want to see than the audience?). Plenty of joke fanfictions parody this attitude mercilessly, but the ultimate punchline is that sometimes the fan-work is so different you can literally change the names and make millions on Kindle. RWBY itself smacks of fanfiction but with the edges sawn off in a similar manner.
What? That isn't a central conceit of fanfiction at all. Yeah, stuff like that exists, but a lot of it is just 'I like these two characters and want to see them loving' or 'wouldn't it be cool if goku and yugi motoh teamed up to fight orochimaru?' A lot of it is born out of legitimate appreciation for how good something is, not 'im better at this than the actual creator.' It's about wanting to see more, not 'better.'

RWBY is a pretty poo poo show but you're coming off way more insane and project-y than you're accusing the people who like it of being.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

"This show would be perfect if X happened instead" is the central conceit of fanfiction - a simultaneous admission that one likes, or wants to like, the show but that they are a better creator than its originator

Building a Lego set with variations from the instructions isn't necessarily asserting your superiority.

I got what you said about the Plinkett reviews, but I don't see the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I'm not saying fanfiction creators actually believe that they are superior to the creator, but they are tacitly doing so when they rewrite the original story. If you write a story where Kirk and Spock gently caress, you are rewriting the context of the show to suit what you 'wanted' to see. This extends to cross-canon fanfiction, there are simply better reasons why Yugi and Goku never met than normal.

The Lego comparison doesn't quite work. Lego is a constructive thing designed for creative freedom. A show is a necessarily complete story that people are rewriting by introducing new characters. Claiming that a show is 'just like Lego' completely misses concepts like themes, or storytelling, or whatever. At that point all shows are just a box of random ideas you can switch out with other things on the fly instead of more cohesive pieces of art. Which strikes me as incredibly cynical and not in the spirit of anime at all.

Fanfiction tends to be more rife in communities where the work has a very powerful effect on a specific group and a new subculture forms around it. 'Team Edward/Team Whoever' etc and the prevalence of Twilight fanfictions are part of the same thread of fandom. First you think someone else 'should' have ended up with Bella, then you simply write a version where that happened.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread