Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

I might say it was when he was completely amazed that black people are in fact normal humans and dont hoot and holler and behave like animals at restaurants.

Does anybody have a clip of this? I want to rewatch and weep for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does anybody have a clip of this? I want to rewatch and weep for humanity.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/09/21/oreilly-surprised-there-was-no-difference-betwe/139893

The best part about the story to me is that he was at dinner with Al Sharpton.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hate the trend where people who want to send our troops to their deaths are "pro-military", and the ones who want to prevent that and maybe let some of them transition into careers that aren't "walk around the desert and hope you don't step on an IED" are villified as "anti-military". It's just accepted as fact these days and it's obnoxious as hell.

Protip: the people trying to prevent our soldiers from dying don't "hate our troops".

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Somewhere there is a way to tie in Billo in harlem with the apocalypse now quotes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JohnClark posted:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/09/21/oreilly-surprised-there-was-no-difference-betwe/139893

The best part about the story to me is that he was at dinner with Al Sharpton.

I like that this also highlights that Juan Williams, the guy who is Fox's only black voice that has a job other than saying 'you know you're right liberals ARE the real racists', was totes on board with Bill's ramble about 'the sewer coming to the top' because we let those hippy hoppy stars have fame and poo poo until the 'motherfucker can I get more iced tea' line, THEN he turned.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wasn't Blackwater or Xe or whatever the gently caress they're calling themselves basically a mercenary outfit?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Rorus Raz posted:

Wasn't Blackwater or Xe or whatever the gently caress they're calling themselves basically a mercenary outfit?

Yeah, I had a quote from their president a few pages ago:

quote:

"It's a shame the [Obama] administration crushed my old business, because as a private organization, we could've solved the boots-on-the-ground issue, we could have had contracts from people that want to go there as contractors; you don't have the argument of U.S. active duty going back in there," Prince said in an on-stage discussion featuring retired four-star Gen. James Conway. "[They could have] gone in there and done it, and be done, and not have a long, protracted political mess that I predict will ensue."

Yeah.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rorus Raz posted:

They were, on paper, a 'defense contractor' I believe, meaning their job (again on paper) was meant to be a supplement for the real troops to defend bases and such.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I can just picture Papa Bear sitting there after the cameras cut bursting into tears and turning to his producers, sobbing to get someone that agrees with him on the phone right now before the commercials are over :qq:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If we privatize the military, we will win all the wars because only the winningest contractors will survive on a free market unhampered by oppressive government regulations like the Geneva Conventions.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Isn't the point of having an volunteer army so that they can be sent into potentially dangerous situations instead of a conscripted force? What's the point of even having that army if we're going to use a shadow army for the sake of optics?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Defense contracts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Somebody up thread asked if anyone has ever challenged O'Reilly and I thought of Jeremy Glick right away. Jeremy Glick, who opposed the Iraq war and whose father was killed at the WTC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwIRNM5noY

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Has anyone ever laughed in his face about this kind of stuff? Like, has he ever had a guest who just laughs at him for being an idiot for the whole interview while he throws his usual screaming tantrum? Even Stewart talks to him like a he's an adult, which I think is a mistake his guests keep making.
That was from an interview with an atheist guy named David Silverman (who, thanks to being a fairly abrasive atheist personality, gets asked on Fox News a lot), and his reaction to Bill O'Reilley saying stuff "tide goes in, tide goes out" became the basis of the "Are You Serious? Face" meme. So not only was it something dumb on O'Reilley's part, it was so dumb that his guest's natural reaction to it became a symbol for abject incredulousness by itself.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjUsu2-QMQ

O'Reilly Factor is the birthplace of memes

u mad?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They were, on paper, a 'defense contractor' I believe, meaning their job (again on paper) was meant to be a supplement for the real troops to defend bases and such.

IE get overpaid and be exempt from prosecution when they committed crimes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

Technically they do law enforcement/military training and run a gun range too, but yeah mostly mercs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReidRansom posted:

And besides, we already do have an elite non-uniformed special forces group not really bound by law, the CIA Special Activities Division, and they're probably crawling all over the place there already and are likely at least partially responsible for a lot of the mess that keeps happening in some form or another.

The friction between the CIA's various operational arms and their lawyers is one of the more tragically hilarious things about our national security apparati.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BiggerBoat posted:

Somebody up thread asked if anyone has ever challenged O'Reilly and I thought of Jeremy Glick right away. Jeremy Glick, who opposed the Iraq war and whose father was killed at the WTC.

I forgot that all conservative figureheads have the power of clairvoyance and can tell you all of the motivations and politics of dead people. See: Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Jeremy Glick's dad, etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lycus posted:

Or was that the C-SPAN event with Franken?

Franken sonned him so hard during that debate, that O'Reilly implied that if it were the "old west", he'd have "put a bullet in (Franken's) head".

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Beamed posted:

Mercenaries are forbidden by the Geneva convention anyway.

Not quite. The Geneva conventions says that mercenaries arent given ANY of the protections, rights, and so forth detailed in them that are given to normal soldiers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darkman Fanpage posted:

IE get overpaid and be exempt from prosecution when they committed crimes.

Yea pretty much, what is it that one story said most of them just hung around the bases and poo poo and raked in more money than the guys actually getting IEDs taking limbs off and poo poo, and the few that didn't were pretty much entirely made up of the dudes raping and murdering like barbarians? They're a super cartoonishly evil company and I adore whenever the Ron Paul types try to say we need to use MORE guys like them.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Phone posted:

I forgot that all conservative figureheads have the power of clairvoyance and can tell you all of the motivations and politics of dead people. See: Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Jeremy Glick's dad, etc.

They know the motivations of the dead, and they know YOUR motivations before you even say what they are. Spoiler: You hate America/Freedom.

Tender Bender posted:

I hate the trend where people who want to send our troops to their deaths are "pro-military", and the ones who want to prevent that and maybe let some of them transition into careers that aren't "walk around the desert and hope you don't step on an IED" are villified as "anti-military". It's just accepted as fact these days and it's obnoxious as hell.

Protip: the people trying to prevent our soldiers from dying don't "hate our troops".

Pro military industrial complex profiteering and anti wasting soldiers' lives and limbs.

If you think this is new, they were doing the same poo poo in Vietnam. Surprise surprise - the people who are 'pro war' the most are people connected to companies that profit off it, just as it was for Vietnam.

Their 'support' for our troops is the 'support' a shark shows for tuna.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 25, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Jim Davis Doesn’t Remember 9/11

quote:

It is unclear why Garfield is such an outlier. Did 9/11 not occur in the Garfield universe? Are Jon Arbuckle and his zany pets simply indifferent to the horrors of that day? Is Jim Davis afraid his Middle Eastern readership would be scandalized by any show of pro-American chauvinism? This wouldn’t be the first time Jim Davis has acted in a crassly unpatriotic manner. On Veteran’s Day, 2010, an insanely ironic Garfield ran featuring a spider boasting that if Garfield kills it, it will earn an annual day of remembrance; the last panel showed a classroom of spiders discussing “National Stupid Day.” Davis’ excuse was that he churned out and queued the strip a year in advance, which is a surprising turnaround time considering the obviously high production values that go into the writing and design of Garfield.

http://virgiltexas.com/post/23039458116/jim-davis-doesnt-remember-9-11#.VCKt3vmP0Xs

I couldn't tell if this was a parody at first. Reading through it, though, he has included every Garfield strip published on September the 11th since 2002.

He ends the article with, "Witness how the creator of Luann tastefully shoehorns in a poignant tribute on the tenth anniversary of 9/11:"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So someone wanna tell me what Valerie Jarrett's role is? I'm not talking about her official position in the White House. I'm talking about where she stands on the food chain in the minds of conservatives.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Davis’ excuse was that he churned out and queued the strip a year in advance, which is a surprising turnaround time considering the obviously high production values that go into the writing and design of Garfield.

I actually laughed

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Interweb posted:

So someone wanna tell me what Valerie Jarrett's role is? I'm not talking about her official position in the White House. I'm talking about where she stands on the food chain in the minds of conservatives.

Largely ignored because she doesn't make many public appearances. Mentioned every once in a while by disinterested sounding talk radio people as the brains of the operation

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

I think righties, particularly the Glenn Beck variety, view her as kind of a hybrid Robespierre-Rasputin figure.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

Jim Davis Doesn’t Remember 9/11

http://virgiltexas.com/post/23039458116/jim-davis-doesnt-remember-9-11#.VCKt3vmP0Xs

I couldn't tell if this was a parody at first. Reading through it, though, he has included every Garfield strip published on September the 11th since 2002.

He ends the article with, "Witness how the creator of Luann tastefully shoehorns in a poignant tribute on the tenth anniversary of 9/11:"

Somebody post Doctor Doom crying.gif

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

BiggerBoat posted:

Wow that's loving abhorrent, O'reilly is too crazy to be sued for defamation and is allowed to smear that actual victim of the attack.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I can't find it, but I coulda sworn somebody did a fake comics page where every strip had the exact same line referring to 9/11. Seems even more appropo given this thing.

EDIT: Probably was in the political comics thread if anyone wants to wade through that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Here you go.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Somebody post Doctor Doom crying.gif

Didn't Doom only give a poo poo because Latverians got killed, and Magneto only cared because the attack killed Mutants?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Didn't Doom only give a poo poo because Latverians got killed, and Magneto only cared because the attack killed Mutants?

No, it was a tonedeaf 9/11 memorial, but it was meant as sincere.

Also, if I remember right, Ruben Boling actually meant that one as sincere too, as goofy as it is in hindsight; it was his way of expressing that he literally couldn't get it off his mind after it happened, that it crowded everything else out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Idran posted:

Also, if I remember right, Ruben Boling actually meant that one as sincere too, as goofy as it is in hindsight; it was his way of expressing that he literally couldn't get it off his mind after it happened, that it crowded everything else out.

I think it's very successful in that.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
You are literally Hitler.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

I think it's very successful in that.

I just meant that without that context, it could be read as a parody of comics just jamming in memorials like the Luann strip in that article.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Idran posted:

So did anyone ever address the fact that Juggernaut caused 9/11 6 years beforehand and nobody cared?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

The nazis actually really were good regarding protecting the environment. Granted they did this for very cynical and irrational reasons - they were big on 'back to nature' anti-urbanism cult junk, to a mass-murderous fault. Also the whole 'preserve the planet for the master race' thing.

They did this in contrast to the communists who were basically 'gently caress the planet' as Stalin turned great swaths of the landscape into industrial hellscapes.

So what Limbaugh is saying is he's a communist. :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Flattery will get you nowhere.