Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's not a straight port but it's pretty drat close. And no loving custom portrait support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
(Vesperia spoiler)

How the gently caress did I not notice Regaey is Yeager backwards? :cripes:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dmboogie posted:

Vesperia has its flaws, but man did they get the protagonist right. Yuri's probably one of my all-time favorite JRPG heroes, mostly because he's so refreshingly competent (and has a really nice voice).

Yuri Lowell is the best gay androgynous anarchist protagonist jRPGs have ever had.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So I just noticed some new gust rpg called Ar Nosurge came out today, never heard of it or the franchise its tied to. Basically no one is talking about it so this leads me to believe its either bad or trash. Anyone know what it's deal is?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

So I just noticed some new gust rpg called Ar Nosurge came out today, never heard of it or the franchise its tied to. Basically no one is talking about it so this leads me to believe its either bad or trash. Anyone know what it's deal is?
No one's talking about it because it's a gust RPG, actually.

Can't tell you if it's good though. I like Ar Tonelico but 3 was loving weird and also pretty objectively bad and I don't know if no surge is closer to the good games (1 and 2, especially 2) or closer to 3.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

It's a prequel to the Ar Tonelico series, which are known for being pretty creepy and bad except for 2 which was apparently good but it seemed to me that it was just creepy and okay instead of bad and so I wouldn't expect great things.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Also, because it's a prequel and/or spirtual to a niche JRPG series that has it's own stigma attached to it. Major things I know/heard about Ar no Surge are that it takes aspects from Tonelico's best battle system(2) and that it might have a tendency to freeze during battle, but I don't know how true that actually is.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Bummer. The last two atelier games really clicked with me so I figured maybe gust makes other good games besides those. Apparently not really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty much the only games Gust has ever made are Atelier games. The Ar series consists of like five games released over 10 years, and everything else they've ever made is Atelier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aSv8hyUZI

Unless you want to talk about Jet Ion GP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even Ar Tonelico was just an attempt to branch off from Atelier. It recycles combat engines and even a simple crafting system from AI but adds in a lot of unnecessary creep.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It also has apparently majour story ties to a game that we didn't and won't ever get, so there's that too.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Bummer. The last two atelier games really clicked with me so I figured maybe gust makes other good games besides those. Apparently not really.

Ar Tonelico 2 is honestly one of Gust's best games, and all of the games still feature item crafting elements. I'd say 1 and 2 worth at least a look if you can get past some of the creepier aspects that pop up and can endure Luca's sheer awfulness in AT2.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Pretty much the only games Gust has ever made are Atelier games. The Ar series consists of like five games released over 10 years, and everything else they've ever made is Atelier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aSv8hyUZI

Unless you want to talk about Jet Ion GP.

Mana Khemia 1 and 2? Officially they're referred to as Atelier games but I kind of feel like they have a bit more of a focus on story and combat than the average Atelier game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 is honestly one of Gust's best games, and all of the games still feature item crafting elements. I'd say 1 and 2 worth at least a look if you can get past some of the creepier aspects that pop up and can endure Luca's sheer awfulness in AT2.

Keep in mind that the English translation was such a disaster they apologized for it.

Grinnblade posted:

Mana Khemia 1 and 2? Officially they're referred to as Atelier games but I kind of feel like they have a bit more of a focus on story and combat than the average Atelier game.

They're no really any different from a usual Atelier game. The various games have had different takes on the time/crafting/story systems and MK isn't too far different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Keep in mind that the English translation was such a disaster they apologized for it.
And the game features a crippling bug that forces you to level grind high enough to beat a boss in 3 turns.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

yeah part of the reason I didn't really like it was because I honestly couldn't follow the plot at all

admittedly, I'm pretty dumb but in this case i'm pretty sure it was the games fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

And the game features a crippling bug that forces you to level grind high enough to beat a boss in 3 turns.

That too, although to be fair it's kind of trivial because AT2's combat system is so easy to break.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Maybe Nosurge is the greatest game Gust has ever made and will ever make. But none of us will know.

Jokes aside, looking at footage of AT3 I would guess it was made by Compile Heart, not gust. So probably gonna pass on all of these.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Grinnblade posted:

They were announced as Project A(Number), and the PS2 Atelier games in general were more story driven than previous and later titles. Also, there's the fact that Mana Khemia 2 kind of sucks and has a lot of half-baked ideas.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, aspects of the localization were pretty inexcusable, which was unfortunate, but I still think it's worth a look despite NISA royally loving that localization up.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ar Tonelico 2 is fun because the main character drops sick burns on people and screams MAXIMUM PENETRATION when he does his super move

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Maybe Nosurge is the greatest game Gust has ever made and will ever make. But none of us will know.

Jokes aside, looking at footage of AT3 I would guess it was made by Compile Heart, not gust. So probably gonna pass on all of these.

I picked up Nosurge, actually, but right now the only thing I can confirm is that the creep factor is too drat high :(
Some things get worse with HD graphics.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

OddObserver posted:

I picked up Nosurge, actually, but right now the only thing I can confirm is that the creep factor is too drat high :(
Some things get worse with HD graphics.

Thanks for your sacrifice, now I know for sure I dodged a bullet.

So september has been a jrpg wasteland huh.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I still really like the first two Ar tonelico games. The third one is trash but definitely look at the first two, AT1 feels like an Atelier Iris 3 (unlike the actual Atelier Iris 3, which feels like Mana Khemia 0) and features the best crafting system implementation, while AT2 has a super fun battle system. Both games also feature incredible soundtracks.

AT1 also has barely any "creep" unless you're actually offended by silly references to sex.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 24, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

AT1 also has barely any "creep" unless you're actually offended by silly references to sex.

It has creepy fetish costumes, weird hyper-sexualized still art scenes and lots of coded "oh protagonist-sama, please shove your penis grathnode crystal into me, kyaa it feels so good~" It's pretty high on creep factor. The entire thing with Misha/young Misha alone puts it high on creep factor.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If you're gonna play any of the games in the Ar Tonelico series, play the second one as it's pretty much the best of the series. Or just listen to the OST because it's really good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The best (only good) thing about Ar Tonelico 3 was the equal opportunity fanservice finishing moves. Sure, all the chicks had creepy stripping transformations to get stronger, but then you got the finishing moves for the male characters and it turns out that being naked just makes you super powerful in this universe for some reason.

I actually enjoyed AT1 and AT2 despite the creepiness and Luca, so I might actually get Ar Nosurge... Eventually. Probably not soon, they don't deserve that after Qoga.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Maybe I'm just a philistine/caveman but I tried to play the first Ar Tonelico and it creeped me out before I could get really far. I mean the story was about "diving" into anime girls and pleasing them until "paradigm shift" happens, and playing dress up was an actual gameplay mechanic.

I dunno it weirded me out and the gameplay wasn't so great anyway.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ah, Ar Tonelico, the series that teaches that the path to true love isn’t about spending time getting to understand your partner and forming a natural chemistry, just strip away their memories and personality and replace them with versions programmed to fall in love with you. Who says romance is dead?

Feinne has LP's of all three games on the LP Archive, although I think all the videos were lost to Viddler's purg- uh, deletions. You can read those if you're morbidly curious.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ah, Ar Tonelico, the series that teaches that the path to true love isn’t about spending time getting to understand your partner and forming a natural chemistry, just strip away their memories and personality and replace them with versions programmed to fall in love with you. Who says romance is dead?

How the holy hell did you get that from any of the cosmospheres, especially Ar tonelico II?

I mean, let's be honest here, as iterated by multiple other people, the series doesn't need more help being creepy without a wildly inaccurate interpretation of events being thrown on top of it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Grinnblade posted:

How the holy hell did you get that from any of the cosmospheres, especially Ar tonelico II?

The third girl's cosmospheres (well okay, only in the second and third games) gimmick is that the protagonist's memories and personality are sealed and replaced with those of someone else for the duration of the visit.

Those visits are the only way to advance the relationship between the protagonist and third girl, there's nothing in the real world - no chemistry or even semi-romantic interaction. Because the memories and personality are replaced I can't identify those two separate protagonist characters as the same person.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 24, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

What are the features in P4G that require PSN access? It doesn't specify, but I want to play it at work and I don't have wifi here.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dross posted:

What are the features in P4G that require PSN access? It doesn't specify, but I want to play it at work and I don't have wifi here.

You can see what other people did during the day (went home, advanced X social link, etc) and you can send help requests mid dungeon which give the person minor amounts of HP and SP when their next battle starts. It's nothing major.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Dross posted:

The major thing is that you can call for help in a dungeon and then get a HP/SP restore when a battle starts based on how many people answered your call. It's a nice thing that helps you, but in no way required to beat the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The major thing is that you can call for help in a dungeon and then get a HP/SP restore when a battle starts based on how many people answered your call. It's a nice thing that helps you, but in no way required to beat the game.
There's also not very many people on it at the moment so you're not going to get much in the way of HP/SP anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

There's also not very many people on it at the moment so you're not going to get much in the way of HP/SP anyway.

I donno, there seem to be enough people playing it that you get regular bursts even now. I was tooling through a dungeon earlier and still got a few rescue messages.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

It has creepy fetish costumes, weird hyper-sexualized still art scenes and lots of coded "oh protagonist-sama, please shove your penis grathnode crystal into me, kyaa it feels so good~" It's pretty high on creep factor. The entire thing with Misha/young Misha alone puts it high on creep factor.

I demand to see a pivot table running fan service comparison in Gust games. ImpAtom, admit it you are keeping track of anime games in excel, and tabulating creepiness factor!

I haven't played At 2 and 3, but remember 1 being fairly good. . Going to have to dig it IP and put it on my PS2 RPG to be played stack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

I demand to see a pivot table running fan service comparison in Gust games. ImpAtom, admit it you are keeping track of anime games in excel, and tabulating creepiness factor!

I haven't played At 2 and 3, but remember 1 being fairly good. . Going to have to dig it IP and put it on my PS2 RPG to be played stack.

0 is Atelier Escha & Logy. 10 is Ar Tonelico 2. If you just look at these complex maths I have right here you'll see that Ar Tonelico 1 is a clear 7 on the meter.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

0 is Atelier Escha & Logy. 10 is Ar Tonelico 2. If you just look at these complex maths I have right here you'll see that Ar Tonelico 1 is a clear 7 on the meter.

Wait, does that make AT3 have 27 creep factor?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its not necessarily creepy in the usual way since she's like 30 but the fact that threia's boobs bounced every time she entered or exited a scene was kind of weird in escha and logy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

Wait, does that make AT3 have 27 creep factor?

I have no played AT3 so it is possible I may need to redo my math to compensate for this staggering new information!