Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

"Based on the information the responding officers had"

aka the fake-marine telling the cops the guy was running around waving the gun at people and the cops went in blazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
So will they release the tapes now that this is over?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
At this point it's just kinda like. Well drat. Depressing to say the least.

Silly media and angry blacks, angry about blacks being killed instead of happy about a donation :allears:

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 24, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SectumSempra posted:

At this point it's just kinda like. Well drat. Depressing to say the least.

Silly media and angry blacks, angry about blacks being killed instead of happy about a donation :allears:

That guy is the former mayor of Ferguson btw.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fire everyone in that PD like the one Wilson came from. It's rotten to the core and beyond salvaging.

Neo Duckberg posted:

That guy is the former mayor of Ferguson btw.

The same one that said racial segregation was just the natural state of things?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Radish posted:

Fire everyone in that PD like the one Wilson came from.

The same one that said segregation was just the natural state of things?

He was there last night and someone brought up the gun thing, I'm just posting what I heard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Upon looking it up Brian Fletcher is the former mayor that thinks segregation isn't a big deal and also is involved in the "I love Ferguson" merchandise campaign.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 24, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Radish posted:

Fire everyone in that PD like the one Wilson came from. It's rotten to the core and beyond salvaging.

You have to keep in mind, your definition of "rotten" and the definition others use are different. For many people, what the police are doing is just fine.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

You have to keep in mind, your definition of "rotten" and the definition others use are different. For many people, what the police are doing is just fine.

Yeah I understand and the knowledge that it won't change due to that is incredibly frustrating. I can't imagine what it feels like to people that are more affected by it than I am (as in almost not at all).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 24, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bassguitarhero posted:

The problem is that they're assuming when they police do something, they had a good reason. What works much better is letting this kind of dumb thing go to trial so that the police have to prove they had a good reason!

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

bassguitarhero posted:

It's less that they're fine with it and more that it doesn't directly affect them.
So they're all 'oh my why is there so much fuss, oh no, me oh my, I just want peace back. I dont even see race"

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

The problem is that they're assuming when they police do something, they had a good reason. What works much better is letting this kind of dumb thing go to trial so that the police have to prove they had a good reason!

This would work much better if you had a problem with the way the system works, but as it is, when 12% of the nation can be disenfranchised and oppressed for the betterment of 88% of the nation, that's a sacrifice that 88% of the nation is more than willing to make. Letting it go to trial might show that the system isn't covering all Americans, but a majority of Americans have a distinct interest in not allowing that to happen.

SectumSempra posted:

It's less that they're fine with it and more that it doesn't directly affect them.
So they're all 'oh my why is there so much fuss, oh no, me oh my, I just want peace back. I dont even see race"

Not only does it not affect them, but they are better off for it because it happens to others and not them. Allowing the police to focus on black folks means that everybody else becomes a little less dangerous in each other's eyes.

OhNoLookOutRUN
Nov 8, 2004

dorito dave
I just learned that the DoJ is holding a meeting tonight at the community college to talk about their investigation. I have no idea whether or not this is another residents only thing, but if it's open, there'll be media there. I have to work tonight (hooray 2nd jobs), but I'm going to try to attend, if I can massage the schedule enough.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

OhNoLookOutRUN posted:

I just learned that the DoJ is holding a meeting tonight at the community college to talk about their investigation. I have no idea whether or not this is another residents only thing, but if it's open, there'll be media there. I have to work tonight (hooray 2nd jobs), but I'm going to try to attend, if I can massage the schedule enough.

Please spy on them for me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Also of note I'm going to try to worm my way into the county police department and do a ride along slash interview.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bassguitarhero posted:

This would work much better if you had a problem with the way the system works, but as it is, when 12% of the nation can be disenfranchised and oppressed for the betterment of 88% of the nation, that's a sacrifice that 88% of the nation is more than willing to make. Letting it go to trial might show that the system isn't covering all Americans, but a majority of Americans have a distinct interest in not allowing that to happen.

Not only does it not affect them, but they are better off for it because it happens to others and not them. Allowing the police to focus on black folks means that everybody else becomes a little less dangerous in each other's eyes.
I'm not sure that the thoughts of the average privileged American are that proactive. Most people are just experiencing a lack of empathy, not a purposeful calculation of "I am OK with people being disenfranchised because it benefits me."

When the problem is something where they immediately feel the repercussions personally, or at least fear that they might be affected (such as affirmative action), you get a lot of not giving an inch in the name of equality, sure -
but when it comes to crime, I think that people either justify it through racism (blacks get arrested more because you know how they are), or more charitably through pity (they're getting arrested more because they were raised in that culture, it's so sad).

The other issue is that people have a vested interested in believing the system is fair, because they need that to justify why life dealt them a good hand. If they correctly understood that cops 'n courts weren't fair if you're black, they'd have to admit that their life going well was happenstance, rather than something they'd earned.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey guys, how about more depressing cops-killing-black-people news, remember the black guy shot at Walmart because he was holding a BB gun? Guess what? The cops won't be indicted:

quote:

A special grand jury chose not to indict two officers involved in a shooting outside a Dayton-area Walmart that resulted in the death of 22-year-old John Crawford III.
ADVERTISEMENT

The jury came to their decision Wednesday morning following two days of deliberations. According to reports, a supermajority of jurors – seven out of nine – needed to vote yes for one of the three charges including murder, reckless homicide, or negligent homicide, in order for the officers to be indicted. This did not happen.

Crawford was shot and killed earlier this month inside a Beavercreek Walmart store after he was seen carrying a black rifle that was actually a BB gun he had only taken from a store shelf. Witnesses originally said Crawford had been pointing the gun at others, but later walked back his statements.

The surveillance footage from inside the store was shown for the first time this morning at the news conference. The video shows Crawford walking around the store carrying the BB rifle in one hand and his phone in the other, and does not show Crawford pointing the gun at others. Crawford was then shot twice by the officers.

At the news conference, Mark Piepmeier, the special prosecutor for the case, showed the media the similarities between an actual assault rifle and the BB gun Crawford was holding, noting how the cosmetics are almost identical.

“He didn’t commit a crime, he did nothing wrong,” Piepmeier said. “At the same time, the police officers have to be judged on everything they had.”

A spokesperson for the Dayton NAACP told WLWT that the shooting was “not justified.”

Given that Crawford was black and the officers are white, Crawford’s family wants a federal investigation into whether race was a factor in the shooting.

A statement released by the city of Beavercreek countered that assertion, saying Crawford “failed to comply” with the officers’ orders and the officers were acting to “protect the public.” The officers’ attorney said the they “acted well within their training.”

Ohio Gov. John Kasich also released a statement on the case:

quote:

After talking with the Attorney General and watching the video myself, I agree with his decision that a review by the U.S. Department of Justice is appropriate. This is a tragedy for the Crawford family and I share the concern of many in the community that this matter must be handled with the utmost seriousness and respect. I’ve consulted with local leaders, including leaders in the African American community, and I applaud the example they have set of calm, restraint and patience.

Black people, I'm sorry that you can't:

a) walk around a store without being shot and killed
b) have your killers be prosecuted even though the justice system FULLY ADMITS you were completely innocent

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

quote:

At the news conference, Mark Piepmeier, the special prosecutor for the case, showed the media the similarities between an actual assault rifle and the BB gun Crawford was holding, noting how the cosmetics are almost identical.

Why the gently caress would a prosecutor say this?

Can you imagine in any other scenerio. "We had a not-guilty verdict, but this video shows that the murder may have been justified!" -- no prosecutor ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

Why the gently caress would a prosecutor say this?

Can you imagine in any other scenerio. "We had a not-guilty verdict, but this video shows that the murder may have been justified!" -- no prosecutor ever.

Was this the guy presenting to the grand jury?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Nothing.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 24, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pohl posted:

[url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667371]This is GBS right now.

Quoting your fail here.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Neo Duckberg posted:

Quoting your fail here.

Thanks! That thread is all kinds of hosed up, though. It even has a mod participating.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pohl posted:

Thanks! That thread is all kinds of hosed up, though. It even has a mod participating.

You should probably not take GBS so seriously and also not run into my thread as if you've discovered gold.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
I think that the only way to deal with this is to pass legislation that requires special prosecutors in all police involved killings based on the assumption that the DA will always have a conflict of interest in presenting an indictment of a police officer. After all, his normal job requires the cooperation of the cops, and if that trust is broken then it will inhibit future prosecutions.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Just because someone's a mod doesn't mean they're not a shithead. There's a couple who've tried race baiting me. You just have to keep in mind that there's a LOT of people who live lives where the chance to anonymously hate on black people is the highlight of their entire week.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

amanasleep posted:

I think that the only way to deal with this is to pass legislation that requires special prosecutors in all police involved killings based on the assumption that the DA will always have a conflict of interest in presenting an indictment of a police officer. After all, his normal job requires the cooperation of the cops, and if that trust is broken then it will inhibit future prosecutions.

This WAS a special prosecutor, apparently.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

amanasleep posted:

In California they brought up a prosecutor from SoCal to handle the Oscar Grant trial because the prosecutors were afraid that prosecuting a cop would jeopardize the relationship the prosecutors have with cops in the bay area.

PostNouveau posted:

This WAS a special prosecutor, apparently.

But also in general prosecutors will do the shittiest job they can if they don't feel like pushing the case, I think you can sue a lawyer for failing to try to defend you in court, but I don't think there's a method for going after prosecutors for half-assing a case.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Neo Duckberg posted:

You should probably not take GBS so seriously and also not run into my thread as if you've discovered gold.

Yes, because how people act on a message board really has nothing to do with real life. Duh. I get that you think you are an ironic poster or whatever, but the fact that people aren't pissed off about that thread worries me more than your stern warning.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

bassguitarhero posted:

Just because someone's a mod doesn't mean they're not a shithead. There's a couple who've tried race baiting me. You just have to keep in mind that there's a LOT of people who live lives where the chance to anonymously hate on black people is the highlight of their entire week.

I understand but let's not repost internet racism here, please make another thread about it if you'd like.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Pohl posted:

Yes, because how people act on a message board really has nothing to do with real life. Duh. I get that you think you are an ironic poster or whatever, but the fact that people aren't pissed off about that thread worries more than your stern warning.

Again, we can discuss this somewhere else.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Neo Duckberg posted:

I understand but let's not repost internet racism here, please make another thread about it if you'd like.

It is all the same drat thing, you can't separate it. gently caress, this thread would die if we only talked about the shooting, because the police refuse to release any information.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 24, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm not interested in reposting racism, I was making the point that the internet is filled with lovely people who ironically and unironically enjoy posting racist stuff because they can get away with it on the internet, so you get treasure troves of it in "safe" places like GBS. Pohl's saying that it's worrying that the vitriol coming out of threads like that is worrying, and I agree, but it's symptomatic of a much bigger problem that we have to deal with, rather than worry about what assholes on the internet say when given anonymity and a soapbox.

Edit: In other words, GBS threads as safe harbors for racism are symptomatic of larger issue that society has with scapegoating disenfranchisement of minorities which plays out more worryingly in things like allowing the police to get away with shooting a dude with a toy gun in an open carry state and people celebrating that.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 24, 2014

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bassguitarhero posted:

I'm not interested in reposting racism, I was making the point that the internet is filled with lovely people who ironically and unironically enjoy posting racist stuff because they can get away with it on the internet, so you get treasure troves of it in "safe" places like GBS. Pohl's saying that it's worrying that the vitriol coming out of threads like that is worrying, and I agree, but it's symptomatic of a much bigger problem that we have to deal with, rather than worry about what assholes on the internet say when given anonymity and a soapbox.

Edit: In other words, GBS threads as safe harbors for racism are symptomatic of larger issue that society has with scapegoating disenfranchisement of minorities which plays out more worryingly in things like allowing the police to get away with shooting a dude with a toy gun in an open carry state and people celebrating that.

I agree with this. What the gently caress. Wasn't there just a sticky saying racism was banable? Isn't the tenbux supposed to be justified by keeping out things like racism? Isn't that why we have mods in the first place?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Koalas March posted:

I agree with this. What the gently caress. Wasn't there just a sticky saying racism was banable? Isn't the tenbux supposed to be justified by keeping out things like racism? Isn't that why we have mods in the first place?

lol at the mods being in any way competent or able to do things like dress themselves without assistance

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

That sticky was because of an obvious but racist joke I made. I just avoid GBS because you spin the ban roulette anytime you try to post in the spirit of things. I guess that's the larger joke, that moderation resembles a small town police force trying to make budget?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I guess that's the larger joke, that moderation resembles a small town police force trying to make budget?

More like keystone cops only staffed by the senile and retarded

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

That sticky was because of an obvious but racist joke I made. I just avoid GBS because you spin the ban roulette anytime you try to post in the spirit of things. I guess that's the larger joke, that moderation resembles a small town police force trying to make budget?

The minute they took down the rules in GBS, the forum was full of racism. In fact, a lot of the posts were simply "friend of the family". You can't claim fame for the rule.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 24, 2014

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

SectumSempra posted:

Sure they're fine with it, that's why they're accepting excuses that wouldn't cut it for a five-year-old stealing cookies.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you want to go yell at them I don't care, but I personally believe that real life dialogue is more important than getting mad at the ironic forum on a comedy website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I hate to break it to you, but not everyone in there is being ironic.

• Locked thread